Quantcast

Anheuser-Busch soon to be no longer "King of Beers"

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The players must like it because they have the best record in baseball.
They have a solid rotation all the way around now, and Marmol and Kerry Wood are both fine pitchers to be closing out games. Marmol's been off it a bit lately, but the bats are so hot it hasn't mattered.
Soriano is out for a few more weeks, but they're still going to win plenty.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
They have a solid rotation all the way around now, and Marmol and Kerry Wood are both fine pitchers to be closing out games. Marmol's been off it a bit lately, but the bats are so hot it hasn't mattered.
Soriano is out for a few more weeks, but they're still going to win plenty.
What's the status with Zambrano?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
What's the status with Zambrano?
Some kind of shoulder strain or something, nothing too serious. I think they called up Marshall, who pitched for them some last year, but I haven't seen a game since sunday, so I dunno if he's started yet.

Edit: Oh, looks like Marshall got lit up in his 1st start.

Last edited:

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
stella is garbage. so is Budweiser. IF you can find it, and probably not since they only serve it around northern indiana and in some cases, southern indiana, Alpha King is the best beer I've ever had.

If you're looking for a beer to get over the counter, cant go wrong with dogfishhead 60 minute ipa. The 90 minute isnt worth it, and the 120 minute is wayyy too alcoholic tasting... no hops noticeable.

Beck's dark is amazing too.. but then again, we are talking about "cheaper" beers here.

http://www.threefloyds.com/dspAlphaKing.html

tmtrebor

Chimp
Jun 24, 2008
heh I couldnt taste it. Keep in mind we had downed a pitcher of alpha king, hoptimus prime (a local brew beer here), and B-52, I was a little tipsy, but I do remember the not so happy taste of rubbing alcohol. that stuff is intense though, I think I paid 16 dollars for a 12 oz bottle..

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
heh I couldnt taste it. Keep in mind we had downed a pitcher of alpha king, hoptimus prime (a local brew beer here), and B-52, I was a little tipsy, but I do remember the not so happy taste of rubbing alcohol. that stuff is intense though, I think I paid 16 dollars for a 12 oz bottle..
I would think a $16 beer would be best enjoyed while sober and with a clean palate, otherwise it's a waste of money.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Not in this case IAB. I think the 120 is a waste of money regardless. It's underhopped, over powered by the alcohol and generally just not good. I'd rather have the 60 or 90 Minute IPA myself and I'm a hophead. I'd classify the 120 Minute IPA closer to a barleywine than an IPA but even looking at it from that light, it's just not good. The Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine is a much better example and far cheaper as well.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Some of the nicest beers I've had recently have come from Kirin's premium range. I'd imagine unavailable overseas, although you might find Ichi-ban Shibori Stout which is about as good as you could hope for from a mass production brewery.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Not in this case IAB. I think the 120 is a waste of money regardless. It's underhopped, over powered by the alcohol and generally just not good. I'd rather have the 60 or 90 Minute IPA myself and I'm a hophead. I'd classify the 120 Minute IPA closer to a barleywine than an IPA but even looking at it from that light, it's just not good. The Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine is a much better example and far cheaper as well.
i think you are missing the point... the 120 min IPA is like that freaky mouse w/ the human ear...it's an exercise in extremism, to show what can be done, but not necessarily that the end result is a good thing in and of itself.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
i think you are missing the point... the 120 min IPA is like that freaky mouse w/ the human ear...it's an exercise in extremism, to show what can be done, but not necessarily that the end result is a good thing in and of itself.
But if you're going to go through the trouble, and then sell it, especially at the prices they are asking, it should be decent at least. I'm on a mission now, I'm going to come up with a recipe for an extrme IPA that I think is drinkable, brew it and then do some blind taste tests.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But if you're going to go through the trouble, and then sell it, especially at the prices they are asking, it should be decent at least. I'm on a mission now, I'm going to come up with a recipe for an extrme IPA that I think is drinkable, brew it and then do some blind taste tests.

I tried that years ago. Started out by just using more ingredients. Adjusted slightly after that. Was done at a Brew On Premises place so had some advice from a good brewmaster. Aging was important.

Last edited:

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Well, my IIPA, which was a 90 minute boil, was a huge hit last year at Monkeyfest with roughly 22lbs of grain and 7oz of hops (123 IBU). I made a slightly different batch this year because of the hops shortage, haven't tried it yet, it's still fermenting, but yes, age is critical.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I used to be all about beers with high IBU but any more I feel they are along the same lines as trying to eat pure capsacin or chewing on rocksalt. There are plenty of beers out there that just punch you in the face with hops. It is much harder to find one that can bring out the full range of hoppy flavours especially the delicate ones. Of all the grocery store beers I have access too DFH 60 minute does it the best. The best I have had was at a bar in Tempe that Peter6061 took us to after Old Pueblo a few years ago.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Since I got my hands on a temp-troller for my fridge and gained the ability to lager, I've really become all about Pilsners, Classic American and Czech styled so far. I've always been a hophead though and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
ommegang

yuengling

anything mexican. iOle!

Seriously thought, pacifico and modelo are such good beers. The tradgedy is that american micro-brewers think TONS of hops makes good beer. I can't drink harpoon beer, and I can barely stomach a sam adams. I can drink belgian styles all night long, along with lagers...but the IPA craze is such a joke.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i'm not sure what the going rate is.

what i do know is that there are not very many good beers that come in 12 packs.
I think I am going to bring in a little packaging tape to the store tonight and see if I can get some 12 pack pricing on some good beer.
:cheers:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
i'm not sure what the going rate is.

what i do know is that there are not very many good beers that come in 12 packs.
Damn... really? Out here I can get pretty much all the Great Divide stuff in 12ers or cases. And Deschutes, Stone, Bridgeport, etc. all comes in 12ers too.

You should talk to your liquor store guy and have 'em get some in... he ought to be able to. :think: