Quantcast

Another steel frame thread.

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
I'm looking for a (preferrably steel) hardtail frame for aggressive XC. I'm 230lbs fully geared and ride pretty hard... Most of my mileage is XC-oriented, but I routinely hit all the technical trail features, including drops no greater than 3'.

I want a bike that takes abuse from a hard-riding clydesdale, yet is reasonably comfortable on the epic XC rides.

Will be using a Reba 115mm fork and am looking for a HTA range of 69-71*. Need 23-24" top tube, and at least a 19" seat tube.

Have kicked around:
Azonic Steelhead, not sure about weight and hta
Evil Sovereign, not sure if it has enough seat tube
Chromag TRL
Also: (tho may or may not be steel):
Banshee Viento or Scirocco
DMR Trailstar (only make it in 16" ? )
SC Chameleon

Have hit inummerable manufacturer sites and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for just yet.. Am I missing anything out there?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
why do you need it to have a specific seat tube height?

On One Inbred 456
Cotic Soul (hard to find in the US)
Dialled bikes Prince Albert (another one that might be hard to find)

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
Exactly, cause a 3' thomson post is ridiculous pricey. I just don't want a bike with all that seat post stickin out.. looks silly.

I looked at the 456, but it doesn't use a removable der hanger. Is the concept of a hanger the same for steel as it is for alum? that being that it protects from irreparable frame damage..

edit: oh, and i ride full gears, no ss.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Steel frames normally don't need a replacable hanger, as the properties of steel allow it the hanger to be bent back into position without sacrificing strength.

I'd look into a Surly Instigator. I rode one for a year and LOVED it. Unfortunately I made the mistake of selling it and have regretted it ever since.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
The Cove Handjob

It's steel and the geometry is very close to that of a chameleon. They're cheap too. Around $595 for the frame and made in Canada.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Exactly, cause a 3' thomson post is ridiculous pricey. I just don't want a bike with all that seat post stickin out.. looks silly.

I looked at the 456, but it doesn't use a removable der hanger. Is the concept of a hanger the same for steel as it is for alum? that being that it protects from irreparable frame damage..

edit: oh, and i ride full gears, no ss.
More exposed seatpost will actually give you a slightly more compliant ride on a hardtail.

Steel frames don't need replaceable derailleur hangers.

The On One 456 is not a single speed frame but a geared frame.

Hope that helps.

Mark

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Steel frames normally don't need a replacable hanger, as the properties of steel allow it the hanger to be bent back into position without sacrificing strength.

I'd look into a Surly Instigator. I rode one for a year and LOVED it. Unfortunately I made the mistake of selling it and have regretted it ever since.

That was a fun ride! The Instigator will get the job done as well and could be another slightly more burly option for you to consider.

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
If that's the case with steel hangers, then that will no longer be a deal-breaker.. I did see the Handjob, but thought 68.5 was a little slack for me, especially considering i'd be extending slightly beyond their spec'd fork travel.

I had been overlooking Surly as i figured they were all strictly SS. I'm pleasantly surprised to know about the Instigator.. which looks hot..

Now i know why i come to Monkies for info like this! Keep it comin'.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
That was a fun ride! The Instigator will get the job done as well and could be another slightly more burly option for you to consider.
Why do you have to tease me with photos? Really, why?? I was one or two days late of buying it back last year when it was resold for the third(?) time. Sigh... yes :imstupid:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
you can usually find good deals on Instigator frames on ebay from time to time.

Also any bike shop can order one through Quality Bike Parts for you.

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
The new ones are good up to 130mm travel.
yea.. but every mm over 100 slackens the head angle beyond 68.5 - which is too slack for me to begin with. That's what I'm sayin. I don't know, maybe it's not. Thing is- it's so hard to find a dealer to test ride bikes like this.. and a dealer that has your size built up.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
yeah it'll be hard to find a dealer with a Cove or Sinister or On One

Maybe an On One - might be worth it to call the Pedal Stop in Arlington Virginia - I think that's where they are - they usually carry On Ones.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Steelhead frames weigh in at around 7lbs. They need long seatposts to get good leg extension. If you're 5'10 or so there's a good chance you'll need a 410mm seatpost. Not sure about the HTA, if I had to guess, I'd say you'd probably be sitting around 70-ish w/ your fork.

I rode mine as my only bike for a summer--it was heavy and fun. Uh, and the TTs are short, probably too short for you (Eff TT on the long is <23").

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
yea.. i think the Steelhead is now pretty much ruled out based on weight and geo (short ST and TT)..

So Wumpus: you bent the sucker right back to straight and it's just as strong as before? Friend and i were chatting- isn't this property called the 'time to fatigue' of a material?

Right now I'm really liking the Chromag TRL (or Samurai).. or the aluminum Banshee Scirocco- but still plenty of time to decide.

May 1, 2006
how hard of riding are you going to do? i used to ride a gunnar steel frame for a while...very nice bike, but mostly an XC frame

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
Yea, those Chromags are out of my $range now that I take a closer look. Fug.

What kind of riding? Aggressive XC, 230lbs fully geared, no hits over 2.5-3', though I'd like some room to grow. Lots of technical, rocky, steep ups and downs, etc. The rest of my riding time is on smoother singletrack with tons of features, log hops, skinnies, etc.

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
MMcG, the Sovereign is on my list, actually. But I'm not sure if it has enough seat tube for my liking. I'll need about 28" from BB to rails.. and I guess I just didn't want a bunch of post exposed. Although it's sexy as all hell, built to last a mutha.. and at ~ 6lbs, not very heavy for high quality steel. How tall are you?- may i ax.

I can definitely afford the Evil bikes.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That's not my bike.

More seatpost will provide a little bit more cushion for your ride actually.

You'd probably want a Long Sov anyway and that probably has more seat tube.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
An Evil Sovereign is your ticket my friend. IF you can afford one. I think they are right around $700 or so?

Like this one - only run it geared:

beat me to it. thanks for posting my bike up mmark :cheers:

the sov is the shiz. I was looking for an AM SS and it's so much more than just that. I highly recommend one even though it's a little more loot...

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
So Wumpus: you bent the sucker right back to straight and it's just as strong as before? Friend and i were chatting- isn't this property called the 'time to fatigue' of a material?
I haven't had any problems with it -- 2.5 years.

I really don't know if this has anything to do with it:

http://www.henryjames.com/verus.html#relief said:
Fatigue failures are insidious. Failure can occur even though the part was never highly stressed. So why does it fail? Metals have a crystalline microstructure, and the crystals are not perfect because no metal can be perfectly manufactured. Under repeated loads the stresses cause micro cracks to form in the crystal structure of the metal. Over time enough of these cracks form that as they gradually extend, they begin to connect to form larger cracks. As these micro cracks begin to appear, the flow of stresses through the part is changed. The stresses must flow around and between these disruptions. The stress concentrations at the ends of the cracks act to multiply the increased local internal stresses, leading to faster crack propagation. As more cracks form and more cracks join, the conditions get worse and worse, and the fatigue effects accelerate. Failure becomes inevitable.

Steel is a very fatigue resistant metal. It has what is called a "Fatigue Threshold". Research has found that as long as the stresses are below about one half of the yield strength, there is little or no tendency for the micro cracks to grow and connect, and so the fatigue life approaches infinity. Bicycles are designed for optimum rigidity for the intended use. By the time a steel frame is made stiff enough, it is usually strong that the fatigue threshold is seldom reached. This is why steel frames last so long.

Batman

Monkey
May 20, 2002
Mississauga
I'm 6'2 and ride a long sovereign. Fits well with the post extended...I run a 50mm stem, so if I were to run a longer stem and perhaps a set-back seatpost it would be a little better fit...
It sounds like the sovereign could be the perfect bike for you if you can make it fit...
I'll get some pictures of mine up soon...

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
What kind of riding? Aggressive XC, 230lbs fully geared, no hits over 2.5-3', though I'd like some room to grow. Lots of technical, rocky, steep ups and downs, etc. The rest of my riding time is on smoother singletrack with tons of features, log hops, skinnies, etc.
Are you in Fredrick as in Fredrick, MD?

If so, then the Surly is you frame (size L). I know a couple of guys who beat the snot out of those frames on the trails in the area - one of them far bigger than you. It'll work with anything from a 4" fork for XC duties up to 6" for more DH-oriented runs.

As an added plus, it's reasonably priced.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
i say get a steelhead...........the weight is only 7#'s for the frame.....for big guys (me 280#) a few #'s isanot going to kill you on the trails...............
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the steelhead is really not a very good option as a trail bike. Regardless of the weight, the thing is meant to be a play bike. I cannot imagine riding one for any significant distance.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the steelhead is really not a very good option as a trail bike. Regardless of the weight, the thing is meant to be a play bike. I cannot imagine riding one for any significant distance.
its pretty easy to ride........im running a 4" fork and the HA is 67.5 deg.....its more then a true XC bike but its a good all arounder

i-ride

Monkey
May 12, 2006
Frederick
Are you in Fredrick as in Fredrick, MD?

If so, then the Surly is you
Yup, Fredrick MD. That Instigator is nice... and i've heard lots of good stuff. I don't care for the cable routing.

Batman.. nice rig. What's it come in at? 30+ lbs?

Since my last post.. I've moved away from steel.. more towards either the Banshee Scirocco or the Viento.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ive ridden the 'shed before. I think the instigator would be perfect for that place. Pretty decent climber, not overly beefy like some FR hardtails, but can still take all you got. Go with it. Was the first bike I ever built from the frame up, and I still miss it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
yeah it'll be hard to find a dealer with a Cove or Sinister or On One

Maybe an On One - might be worth it to call the Pedal Stop in Arlington Virginia - I think that's where they are - they usually carry On Ones.
Both Cove and On One are carried by BTI, nearly any shop can get them (provided they're in stock).