Quantcast

Any golfers in here?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody here play golf, or know a lot about it? I'm thinking about getting into it (dad and brother play), but I'd need to get some clubs. We have a spare set my brother got when he was first starting (wilson red dots) but the grips are funked and the shafts are crappy steel. Would it be smarter to get them regripped and perhaps reshafted, or just to get a new set? I played with them yesterday and they play fine, but the grips hurt my hands and the shafts might be too short for me.

Any suggestions?

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
If you're just starting out, use some beaters, and if you get into it, graduate to a new set, and like a bike, get them fitted to you. I recommend Ping clubs as they have absolutely fantastic customer service and products. I've had 3 sets of Pings and will never buy anything else.

And don't walk on other peoples lines!

http://www.pinggolf.com/

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Dude, you're too young to play golf, the proper age to play is 65+. Put the clubs down and slowly walk away. Then get on your bike...........NOW!!!!!!!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Brian HCM#1 said:
Dude, you're too young to play golf, the proper age to play is 65+. Put the clubs down and slowly walk away. Then get on your bike...........NOW!!!!!!!
BS! It teaches you control, patience, honor and sportsmanship. It can only help you with the other facets of your life.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I am not a golfer, but I played in my company tournament yesterday. I play a few times a year. You can pick up a decent set of starter clubs for ~$200-300 at any sporting goods store. If that is out of your budget regrip your Bros set and just deal. Shafts are a standard length unless you are (a girl, really short, really tall). If the shaft felt too short, you might have been using the wrong club.

Its a good game to know how to play. I dont particularly like to play, but I wouldnt mind being better at it either.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
stinkyboy said:
BS! It teaches you control, patience, honor and sportsmanship. It can only help you with the other facets of your life.
Really? Most of the golfers I've met are total dicks.

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
I would say buy a new pair. I am 17 years old and am 2 years into the game. I dont want to spend a lot of money on a set of clubs then hate the game and never play again. So I went to Dicks Sporting Goods and just bought a whole set on sale for $249.95. And that included a big ass driver, all the woods, full iron set, pitching wedge, sand wedge, lob wedge(which is my favorite club), and a putter. O yea and a bag and a rain cover. Sounds like a good deal and these clubs are to just hold me off until I decide that the game is here to stay. That I will have custom clubs made to my 6'3" tall ass body. Haha.

Re-gripping the whole set will prob cost more then buying a beginner set. I'd say buy new clubs and get a feel for the game.

And o yea, have fun out there and staying calm works. Getting mad at the ball doesnt get you anywhere. Haha.

Sep 18, 2004
virginia.......
Hey glad to see they're some monkeys on here who like golf. Ive been playing golf for 8 years and its a great game. First, "crappy steel".......most nice shafts out there are still steal, not all are graphite. but if there is rust on the shafts then yeah they probally need to be replaced. I have the ping i-3 +'s and I have some ping steels on them. If the clubs are too short for you then you cannot really do anything about that. Golf pride makes some good grips if you want to look into them. You can get all your clubs re-gripped and re-shaffted for around 100-200 depending upon what kind of shafts (high dollar, low dollar). If you plan to get new shafts then make sure of the flex you order (firm, regular, light) Firm flex is for swing speeds over 90 mph regular flex are for swing speeds generally over 65 mph but under 90, light flex shafts are for swing speeds under 60 mph. The golf shop in my area ("Golfdom") has the equipment to measure swing speed and ball impact and club angle. All that good stuff. So I'm sure their is a shop near you who can do this too. Best of luck with this game, have fun.

later

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
Actually golfing is a really cool game. When I am out there I want to try to improve so much and hopefully just once hit a nice shot right on to the green. Its like a big, addicting mind game. But who I am kidding, I dont have that kind of luck in golf.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
rpk1988 said:
Re-gripping the whole set will prob cost more then buying a beginner set. I'd say buy new clubs and get a feel for the game.
Re-gripping should only be the cost of the grips. About $7/grip (Canexicani money) for the more spensive stuff.

Its good to be able to whack-f*&K half decent...its where all the business deals are made :D

Go to a GOLF shop to get a decent starter set. They can look at your swing and fit you up real good. When you decide to buy a good set of clubs they'll fit you for real cheap.

Tip: If youre going to hammer-throw one of your clubs, make sure it isnt into the lake that you just lost your ball. :thumb:

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
foxfreerider11 said:
First, "crappy steel".......most nice shafts out there are still steal, not all are graphite. but if there is rust on the shafts then yeah they probally need to be replaced.

Yep...Ive been rockin the same steel shafted clubs for almost 10 years. I can't feel anything when I hit a graphite shafted club.

Another thing that you'll likely hear a lot is that the long-ball doesn't matter if you can't keep it straight...<-very true. I can whip out some long drives, but it all goes to sh1t if one of them gets jacked.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
stinkyboy said:
If you play golf like I do, it teaches you how to drink and drive.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Brian HCM#1 said:
:stupid:

The only thing more boring then playing golf is watching it on TV. I am reserving golf for when my body has been broken and abused so much that I just can't get back on the bike. But I am really going to try to be riding at 90+, and not playing golf. :nope:

Although, if it's disc/frisbee golf, then I am there!

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Ciaran said:
:stupid:

The only thing more boring then playing golf is watching it on TV. I am reserving golf for when my body has been broken and abused so much that I just can't get back on the bike. But I am really going to try to be riding at 90+, and not playing golf. :nope:

Although, if it's disc/frisbee golf, then I am there!

There is a local trail that dumps you off at the local glof course, right in the middle. Its fun to come out of the woods at speed at blast onto the golf course at mach speed.

EXTREME GOLF!!!!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
stinkyboy said:
Go hang out on www.golfmoney.com what a crock of sh*t.......... "It teaches you control, patience, honor and sportsmanship":rolleyes:. Most sports teach you the same. I'm not saying it's an easy game, but IMO it's an old mans game.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
If you are a beginner, you are better off with steel. Carbon/graphite etc will really exagerate any swing that isn't perfect. Your small slice/hook become a MASSIVE slice/hook.

manziman

Stubby
Jul 3, 2004
The armpit of San Diego
stinkyboy said:
If you're just starting out, use some beaters, and if you get into it, graduate to a new set, and like a bike, get them fitted to you. I recommend Ping clubs as they have absolutely fantastic customer service and products. I've had 3 sets of Pings and will never buy anything else.

And don't walk on other peoples lines!

http://www.pinggolf.com/
mmmm...I love my Ping i3's, Orange dot with the carbon shaft and the new Winn grips. But rockin the old school Callaway C4 with Pro Gold XS shaft I built. (yea, I build golf clubs on the side). BUY PINGS!

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Sandwich said:
Anybody here play golf, or know a lot about it? I'm thinking about getting into it (dad and brother play), but I'd need to get some clubs. We have a spare set my brother got when he was first starting (wilson red dots) but the grips are funked and the shafts are crappy steel. Would it be smarter to get them regripped and perhaps reshafted, or just to get a new set? I played with them yesterday and they play fine, but the grips hurt my hands and the shafts might be too short for me.

Any suggestions?
Don't worry about the shafts or the length (unless they are VERY short like a kids set or a woman's set). Steel shafts are what you want. As for the grips, shouldn't be that expensive to get them redone. Plus don't redo all of them. As a beginner you shouldn't be using but a few of the clubs anyway. (1 4 7 and a wedge plus a putter. Is a good starting point. Then pull the rest out of the bag so you don't waste your time).

Take all the woods out of the bag and leave them at home. Then take a couple of lessons. Shouldn't be that expensive. $50 or $60 for a couple of hours. What you learn in those first lessons will make the rounds you are playing much more enjoyable. If you don't like it you aren't out all that much.

If you still like it after a couple of months then worry about what to do next. I would say definately don't buy a full set of clubs. So buy 'em one at a time, getting the ones that you find yourself using most often. Get used to that club then get the next one. As you develop more control then you can start filling the gaps. Custom clubs with copycat stuff (legal clones) aren't that expensive and will fit you better than most off-the-shelf stuff.

I play at least once every couple of weeks normally with my Dad or my wife. Its a great time to hang out with one or both of them. That above all else makes it worthwhile. As for it being an old man's sport, that's a bunch of crap by stick in the mud folks. They most likely played once and sucked at it and just quit.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DRB is right. You dont need 14 clubs in your bag as a beginner (hell most experience golfers don't use them properly anyways).

Clubs should cost $5-$25 each to regrip, depending on the quality of the grip (I used to work in a pro shop regreipping clubs all summer).

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
thanks for the advice...it looks like the old clubs that I have aren't so crappy, I just read a detailed article comparing 93 clubs with 73 clubs, and they say that there isn't much difference overall. Turns out the 73 5 iron they used is the same make, Wilson Red Dot something something that my brother has in the bag. I think I'll get them regripped and go from there. I don't really want to invest in a complete set since I'm just beginning. If I don't like it or want to upgrade to some really nice clubs in the future, I'll be out less.

I wasn't necessarily saying that steel shafts were crappy, but rather the steel shafts that are on my 1965-75 clubs are less than stellar, and for the cost of new shafts and grips, it looks like I'd come in under the cost of a full set of clubs.

PS, we have a few extra sets of bags and rollers, so I don't need to do a package deal.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
it is my belief that custom clubs are worthless unless you are good enough to maintain a consistent swing for the duration of the clubs.

if you're thinking about getting into it, just stick with your clubs. then, once you realize you're gonna stick with it, just get some non-namebrand clubs made for you (don't get custom, other than custom length [and even then, i wouldn't go overboard]). once you realize that you enjoy it, and don't mind dropping some coin, get nice ****.

you can regrip yourself. have a shop take them off, or take them off yourself using a utility knife with a 'U'-tip (kinda curves back around), clean up the shafts, buy the grips from somewhere (www.golfsmith.com), get some double sided tape, tape the shafts, squirt with water, slide on grip, compress for about 30mins, then let sit the rest of the day. booyah.

for now, stick with the cheap ol' Golf Pride Victory grip.

don't reshaft...not worth it.

for the record, i don't dig graphite shafts in irons. True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 for me, please. i was also never a fan of the massive 6000000cc driver heads. my 976R is perfect. only graphite shaft i've got (Proforce Gold).

my first set was garage sale.
second set was Golfsmith brand.
third set was custom DCI 962s
fourth set was Titleist Tour Special blades.

J

JRB

Damn you are a nerd, Ciaran. I like golf, but suck more than I did at trombone. Most people get really frustrated while playing with me, but I have a hoot. I wish it wasn't so expensive. I like when uptight turds play in front of me, like they can't wait and I am on the box. I usually launch a few balls at them. I repeat, golf is fun if you play it to be fun.

Lexx D

Dirty Dozen
Mar 8, 2004
NY
I love smackin whitey around, It's an interesting mix of stress and relaxation.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
the Inbred said:
it is my belief that custom clubs are worthless unless you are good enough to maintain a consistent swing for the duration of the clubs.
Wrong, well, I think differently at least. I have been playing for about 8 years now, and at my peak my handicap was about a 4. All of my clubs since the beginning have been fit to me, and I worked 2 years in a golf shop where all I did was custom fit golf clubs to the individual. If there is nothing else you invest in, having them fit to you should be one of them. The generic off the shelf clubs, yes, even Taylor Made and Callaway are so inconsistent in their build and they lack quality that any advantage you may have had buying from the big name is lost in the shoddy fit. There are so many variables to consider, height, strength, club head speed, lie and loft, grip size, steel or graphite, bounce, its unbelievable. Spend the extra few dollars and get them custom fit. Even if you do not have a consistent swing you know that the clubs are doing everything they can to improve your game. Do it, well worth it in my opinion.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Seeing as how you're just starting out, you'll need a large supply of cheap balls. If I were you, I'd hit up a used sports store (we have Play It Again Sports, you may have the same or similar) for some beginners. Once you've put some time into the sport and don't lose a dozen balls over the course of 18 holes, then I'd invest in some quality (aka. non-used) golf balls.

I'm sure the RM pro's will disagree with this idea, but new golf balls are just too damn expensive to learn on and lose.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
new balls are way too expensive...especially when you start playing Titleist Professionals and Balatas. i always used golf balls i found. i have 3 boxes of Professionals in my closet that i never used 'cause of buyer's remorse, and now i believe their shelf-life is up. not one of the balls in my bag now were payed for, all found.

x-outs are good, as well as like what reflux said (Play It Again, etc...often times, Wal-Mart will have packages of found balls/ x-outs).

whatever you do, do not use range balls. they are range balls for a reason (unless you play at a country club...i've seen country clubs use x-out Professionals. i left with a few pocket-fulls of rangeballs then).

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Golf is cool, but I really, really suck at it. I used to golf a lot more before I got into MTB. I kind of miss playing, but I'd always rather be out riding than golfing.

As far as helping Sandwich out, I don't know jack about equipment. I have a set of Tommy Armour irons my uncle handed down to me.

It is cool to see other monkeys here who like playing.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
caputo1989 said:
get cleavand r-7 irons.

they are pricy but feel realy nice $200-300
I have a nice Cleveland sand wedge. When I first got it, I was outraged that it started rusting right away. I almost returned it and almost wrote a nasty letter to the manufacturer. Boy would I have felt dumb. :help:

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
Me and my wife have been playing about once a week for the last few months. We are enjoying it, and are now looking at getting some good clubs ourselves. We both got our set from Goodwill, which is what I reccomend for someone wanting to see if they like it. $20 for a full set, including bag.

We went to Dick's the other night and the salesperson was saying I needed longer clubs. And that if I pick a "current" model, he can get them any length for no extra money, and take a couple of weeks to come in.

But the cheapest "current" model they had was $400!!! And that's just for irons!!!

Anyone want to buy a road bike? :)

wannabeabonedoc

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Wytheville Virginia
I bought a starter set at dicks for 170 and it came with everything you need. Clubs, bag, tees, balls, and a raincover even. Also, dont judge your golfing abilities by what happens on a driving range. Whether you(read: anyone) realize it or not, you only try and out drive the person next to you at a range. Play nine holes and go from there. it's the most frustrating yet relaxing sport I've found. Good luck!

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
I suck at it but I still have a good time when I do actually get to go. buy a cheap set first, like a used/starter set from somewhere like play-it-again sports. or get a cheap set from a sporting goods shop. you dont even know if you like it yet!

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Brian HCM#1 said:
Go hang out on www.golfmoney.com what a crock of sh*t.......... "It teaches you control, patience, honor and sportsmanship":rolleyes:. Most sports teach you the same. I'm not saying it's an easy game, but IMO it's an old mans game.
:think:

I played football for 13 years and basketball for 8 and I never learned what 5 years of golf taught me. To be good, it takes twice the skills of Ryan Leech, but from your comment, you sound like a kid who knows little of sport, except maybe how to watch the Superbowl.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
i don't think golf teaches you any more than any other sport. hell, the more i played and better i got, the less patience i had with myself...which lead to less sportsmanship.