Quantcast

Any Old Guys dirt jumping?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I agree, age is what you make of it.

I went to the BMX track last night. I was the oldest person there riding by at least 20 years. I don't think there was a kid over 15. What I don't get are the Dads, who look to be about my age, plus or minus 5 years, who bring their kids to ride and then just stand there around watching and twiddling their thumbs waiting for the kids to get tired so they can go back home.

I just had a kid three months ago and I absolutely *cannot* wait until he is old enough to ride so we can go to the track (or where ever) together to ride. No way in hell am I standing around with my thumb up my ass like these guys. It's just unfathomable.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I agree, age is what you make of it.

I went to the BMX track last night. I was the oldest person there riding by at least 20 years. I don't think there was a kid over 15. What I don't get are the Dads, who look to be about my age, plus or minus 5 years, who bring their kids to ride and then just stand there around watching and twiddling their thumbs waiting for the kids to get tired so they can go back home.

I just had a kid three months ago and I absolutely *cannot* wait until he is old enough to ride so we can go to the track (or where ever) together to ride. No way in hell am I standing around with my thumb up my ass like these guys. It's just unfathomable.
My five month old can race your 3 month old (when they become old enough) and us dads can race in our own heats. Got a link to the track?

Oh, and as for Dirt Jumping old guys,... I try, but am still working up to the groomed doubles. (age: 35)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Chesapeake BMX. http://www.chesapeakebmx.com/ about 5 minutes from BWI.

Peter, are you going to the IMBA Memorial day campout in VA? My wife and I want to go but we were hoping to find some parents with kids similar ages so we could do some babysitting sharing. (see the MORE board)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Chesapeake BMX. http://www.chesapeakebmx.com/ about 5 minutes from BWI.

Peter, are you going to the IMBA Memorial day campout in VA? My wife and I want to go but we were hoping to find some parents with kids similar ages so we could do some babysitting sharing. (see the MORE board)
We weren't, but that kind of offer would definately make it more appealing. I wonder how many other people are in the same boat. Let me talk to my wife about it.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
33, here.

Riding a little every day is so much more important for progressing than hucking and crashing every Saturday.

Oct 16, 2011
Brea, SoCal
Hi guys, new guy here. Just moved to california 4 years ago and dont want to ride by myself. Im 35 and want to make friends that like bmx and dirt jump, anyone in orange county?

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Yeah! Cheers to all us oldies! Although, there seems to be more thirty somethings than forty somethings........

what is looming for us come mid-late thirties? I'm already not aging so gracefully, I guess thats just gonna keep on?

regardless, 33, father of two. Not roasting like my younger, more skilled counterparts at the trails, but riding, digging and loving it.

Also, my trail bro Terra, early thirties, still getting wallpapers.
http://bmx.transworld.net/tag/keith-terra/
http://bmx.transworld.net/files/2011/09/bmx-wallpaper-10111-large-5.jpg

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Me and four friends (38 to 44) all ride every weekend at our secret spot in the forest. We all keep slowly progressing and the jumps keep getting bigger. Then I ride bike trials all week.

nyhc00

Monkey
Jul 19, 2010
CT
awesome thread, i love being able to still ride trails while in my dirty thirties. Just like Mutt, 33, married with 2 very young kids and still able to get out quite a bit.

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
33, married with 2 very young kids
Ooops, thanks for the reminder nyhc00, married on this end too.

Can't forget that point, as from all the riders I've met and have known, it takes a special woman to put up with that special brand of bullsh!t and time commitment that comes along with being a trail rider/digger.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
The only thing different for me is that I take a Tombstone with me when I ride, never know when you might break a hip or have a stroke or something. . .

Flat tyres

Monkey
May 30, 2007
Just a warning: If any groms are out there reading this, dont be suprised if any of these guys try to hit your moms if you bring em around the skatepark or trails, theres only one thing we like more than dirt, and its gettin dirty!!

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Me at 45 years old.....

Dope table sittingduck - that's good at any age.

Faure is riding some big stuff in that clip - freaking awsome at 47! I saw on Black Market's site that Carter Holland was t-downing that Woodward step-up - think he is 41 and I he's got the most solid t-downs on a mtb.

I still riding DJ's at 40 - guess I don't have the time or money for DH or don't want to tone it down to XC right yet. Or maybe I just have had the most fun riding DJ trails. I feel like a kid every time I'm rolling up the path to the trails.

Like sittingduck said, diet helps (not that I eat all that great but try) and for me stuff like yoga and stretching seems to make things better. I've read that Brian Foster (who's 38 I think) said something like he just has to ride every day. I think it's true - even if it's just manuals down the street I'll try to fart around as much as possible. Today's bikes help too. Not sure if I could ride a 20" but the 24" and 26"er that are available feel nimble but have the bigger wheels to smooth things out a ton.

I think riding a 26" now helps

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Just a warning: If any groms are out there reading this, dont be suprised if any of these guys try to hit your moms if you bring em around the skatepark or trails, theres only one thing we like more than dirt, and its gettin dirty!!
haha!

Axis

Monkey
Jun 9, 2004
42 here. I will be 43 in February and I still ride trails on a 20". I did ride some trails this summer on a USB WCH 26" bike and it rode great... but I have to say I really like the 20" better.

If anyone is coming out to Cleveland for RaysMTB and Chenga hit this old guy up!

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Thanks, don!
Dope table sittingduck - that's good at any age.

Faure is riding some big stuff in that clip - freaking awsome at 47! I saw on Black Market's site that Carter Holland was t-downing that Woodward step-up - think he is 41 and I he's got the most solid t-downs on a mtb.

I still riding DJ's at 40 - guess I don't have the time or money for DH or don't want to tone it down to XC right yet. Or maybe I just have had the most fun riding DJ trails. I feel like a kid every time I'm rolling up the path to the trails.

Like sittingduck said, diet helps (not that I eat all that great but try) and for me stuff like yoga and stretching seems to make things better. I've read that Brian Foster (who's 38 I think) said something like he just has to ride every day. I think it's true - even if it's just manuals down the street I'll try to fart around as much as possible. Today's bikes help too. Not sure if I could ride a 20" but the 24" and 26"er that are available feel nimble but have the bigger wheels to smooth things out a ton.

I think riding a 26" now helps

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Really enjoyed reading this thread. I think I was 42 when I hit my very first dirt jump. There are a lot of riders still ripping dirt in their 40s. I've tried to feature a lot of these guys on OldGuysWhoRide.com. Check out some of the archives. You'll find lots of old guys that are really inspiring. I'm hoping in the next week or so to create a video called "How to Ride Dirt Jumps When you Suck". Hope you get a good laugh out of it.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Great Vid Jon - saw it on Axis's FB the other day and linked it to a local site. Good job on the vid and gives a lot of good info. Nice riding in there too!

Jan 10, 2012
Huntington Beach, CA
Just joined over here. I'm 41 and got back into Bmx about 2 years ago. Stopped collecting and started attempting to do dirt jump and street last year. I stink but I really enjoy it. I've been riding an S&M 24" Dirtbike but I just picked up a Mob at Xmas. Great thread. Thanks guys!

Jan 4, 2012
I'll be 45 in March and I ride a 20" @ the trails and race a 24" at Shoreham BMX. Always the oldest at the trails--but not the best. I'll ride until I can't and I'm at an age where I don't even give a s!&t about having to validate why I still ride a kid's bike! If people have to ask why, they'll never get it, ever. What's the option, anyway, golf? FTS!!!

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
im 24 and starting to feel old and decrepit at the trails
I am 43 and still shredding dirt & urban! I may be getting older physically and slower, but i have a heart of a 25 year old. My wife is always having to remind me of my real age....LOL. My 13 year old son is still trying to keep up with me...LOL. But after this past year, and after two different health issues, I am shredding slower and more wise these days.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Just joined over here. I'm 41 and got back into Bmx about 2 years ago. Stopped collecting and started attempting to do dirt jump and street last year. I stink but I really enjoy it. I've been riding an S&M 24" Dirtbike but I just picked up a Mob at Xmas. Great thread. Thanks guys!
I have always been into gravity fed riding (Gravity Rules!), but as of last year I broke down and bought a 20Forty (24" DJ/Cruiser) for urban and the DJ's. I am thinking of getting back into BMX racing and thought of Cruiser Races. I guess I will see what life holds for me...LOL! Even then, gravity riding will always be my close love.

DH40

Chimp
Jan 19, 2012
S.F.
Im a 49er and getting one of these:

BTW, I was going by "DH40" when I turned 40, way before the Fox fork was intro'd. I can't remember my old handles on here, so I used a name I ocassionally use on MTBR. I go back to the pre-MTBR days, ie MudSluts, etc. Anyway, I think it's time to get the Jackal and ride Boy Scout for the big 5-0.

Attachments

Last edited: