Quantcast

Any one got any ride time on a Foes f1 XTD curnutt front shock?

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
Possibly. My experience is that even with hard annodize friction can still wear the anno off and then the metal degrades. And once the anno is scratched it wears much quicker. My paintball guns are all hard anno'd and the anno gets scratched and degrades fairly quickly. A fork has much more friction than the barrel or chamber of a paintball gun and therefore parts with anno on them would degrade fairly quickly anyways. And we know that seals aren't anywhere near 100% efficient, dirt and dust still gets in. Once the dust and dirt gets in it scratches stuff and you end up with the anno coming off. Honestly I can't see hard annodizing preventing oil changes in a fork for 2 years.

well, my experience is that sometimes i open up avy shocks after they have been used for YEARS, and the oil is still transparent.
as most of you guys probably know, the shock oil inside a fox or similar shock, will come out smelly, dark, resembling diarrheah more than anything else if you let it get used for two seasons, not so on an avy.
so, while id never let a fork of my own go that long without an oil change, specially if its new and under break-in, i could perfectly believe that there are forks that you can run for a couple of seasons on the same oil. matter of fact, the old stratos s8 was one of them.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Have you ridden both?

I love my avy fork. It feels like cheating. I don't have any ride time on a boxxer or pretty much any other DH fork, but I have no complaints about the ride quality on the avalanche. I have a dhf-8hk, the dual damper fatty fork. It's heavy and not "on-the-fly adjustable" in that you need a screwdriver. It twists when you crash, but I may not have the torque specs right. I need to invest in a torque wrench.

Regardless, the avy is still less than the silly expensive foes. And, if you want 3 years of forget about it riding, the avy is it. They RECOMMEND you send it in once every two years of riding. TWO YEARS.
i own both, Boxxer WC and Avy Dual damper. sure the avy sucks up everything. and i bet i don't have my boxxer tuned to where it could be. with the addition that its about 5lbs lighter. it destroys the DHF-8

but yea. you never really ever have to service the DHF-8. i'll have to rip my boxxer apart again soon, but i don't mind. the more practice the better

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i own both, Boxxer WC and Avy Dual damper. sure the avy sucks up everything. and i bet i don't have my boxxer tuned to where it could be. with the addition that its about 5lbs lighter. it destroys the DHF-8

but yea. you never really ever have to service the DHF-8. i'll have to rip my boxxer apart again soon, but i don't mind. the more practice the better
right on, I didn't mean to sound as though I had more experience, but people spout off all the time about things they don't own or have never ridden.

Regardless, I love my fork, and I don't race, so I don't really mind the weight that much...Unless I'm going uphill...or accelerating. Don't buy one as a race fork.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
Whoa, if I was not so bored at work I would not bother responding. But since I'm already laughing out loud at this thread...

You notice how the guy who started the thread has not responded? I think he was scared away. If I posted a thread that asked a certain question about a fork and got nothing but: BUY AN AVALANCHE, I would run too. There are some useful responses here but damn Gina, stay on topic. Haha, I should be used to this by now but I'm bored so.....

Here is the guy's question again:

So, after 5 years of riding my 01 Shivver, I am considering replacing it with a newer fork due to it twisting more and more frequently. I am looking at inverted forks for the most part, and having rulled out the Dorado as too much work and the Risse as a piece of trash, I have come to the Foes. So if any one has any advice on this fork let me know, It will need to last at least another 3 years of Dh abuse because i dont have the kind of money to upgrade my suspension every year just because its cool. :bonk:

BTW, it looks badass and ive never seen one on a DHR.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
He says he is looking at an inverted fork so that narrows it down.. a lot. The Avy is the best inverted fork. The Foes feels terrible and yes I have tried both but very shortly. The guy's Foes fork I road actually didnt like it either. Not many people like the feel of the Curnutt or the Foes fork.

He says he has no money to buy a new fork every year but he is looking at a fork that retails for about $3gs. He could buy 3-888s for that price.

drizzle

Chimp
Mar 16, 2006
If you want a fork that you can race dont buy an avy they are ment for hucker ****ers, and the foes wont ride nice if you get on it and you weight 150 and the fork is set up for 200lb rider. I had brent make my fork softer for the small stuff and it rode great it stuck to the ground with ease. I admit it was heavy but i have had it for a year, not to have it rebuilt cause the seals blew like a squirt gun like dorados or boxxers.