Quantcast

Any racers?

R

RideMonkey

Yo,

Any racers here? If so what class do ya race? Is there much of a race scene in New Zealand and Australia?

ridemonkey

Jul 6, 2001
Maryland
I race beginner but might be moving to sport soon. My problem is that I don't get to train enough to do the milage required in the sport catagory. I placed 4th at the Norba nationals, Snow Shoe WV. That's my best race so far. ride Ride RIDE!!!

nazmtnman

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Flagstaff, AZ
I started racing in the local AZ Championship series this year. Raced beginner and had a blast. I am hooked and will never give it up. My goal is to become a pro racer, but at the least I will be racing as long as I can get on a bike, win or lose. Ended up getting 6th place in the state point series, my best finish was a 4th. In the championship race I was leading most of the race and in 2nd by about 10 yards when I got a flat tire, bummer. But, I learned that I could keep up with the leaders so it's up to sport for next season. Can't wait. Hey Freak, awesome job on the podium at an NCS race. That's a pretty big accomplishment, I should be able to race some big races next summer. Saw your post at mtbr (I'm tool man there), don't worry about moving up until YOU'RE ready. T.A.:cool:

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
I can't race right now because I have a rack on my bike, but if I get that full suspention Huffy, I'll be racing DH. I'm going to Mammoth to look at the Kamikaze next month. It looks like a real easy corse to start off on.

Scotty

Chimp
Jul 9, 2001
Delaware
I'm not ready to race yet but I think I want to next year depending on how much improvement I make. I watched a race on Sunday and it looked like alot of fun.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
I normally race Master Expert XC on the MTB and Senior Cat IV or Master 'A' on the road. But I'm having a lazy year this year and only doing a few local things to keep up some motivation for training. I decided to work a lot on technical skills and having more fun on my bikes this season.

KMan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Kennett Square PA
Sport Vet racer here, Racing in the Mid Atlantic Super Series (10 races w/ 3 to go). So far in 4th place overall and hopefully will be able to finish in 3rd. Goal was to finish in the top 10.

Hacim

Chimp
Aug 12, 2001
Durango, CO
my first race is going 2 be @ keystone on the 1st DH of course the only way 2 go :) ... i like xc 2, but come on you have 2 be in excellent shape 2 do that:mad:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I'm going to start racing xc next month. I'll be in the begginer group but i am looking to move up quick. I bought a waight bench and i'm going to start going to a coach. I'm pumped.

Hello people
what is up with xc it's so boring U don't have the huge jumps and really fast speeds.
I gave xc racing a ago but it just wasn't me I much prefer to try and brake my personal speed records (so far i'm up to 83.4km/h or 52.125mph) it's so easy because I live on a hill so all the DH cources r only 1-5 minutes away:cool:
well that's all I wanted so say to all u xc racers :p
cya later fellas

KMan

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Kennett Square PA
Should talk down to us XC racers like that as we all know if you dont have the endurance or abilities you just race down hill.
By the way you'll need to work on that 52 mph down hill, XC racer here and without trying I can reach 45 on my XCbike

PS no hard feelings intended

Merwin5_10

Don't Mess With Texas!
Jul 6, 2001
Austin, Texas
Started racing last year in a local circuit. Totally fell in love with it. XC racing offers, and demands, it all. Wit, agility, handling, strategy, patience, strength...

Ita a total package sport. I encourage anyone to try racing an XC race. Even if its not to win, race against yourself. (That's the best way to race anyway.) Its amazing what you're campable of when you're given a little motivation to push the edge.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I used to race when I lived up in the WA state area (Eric Eaton's series out of NW MTB), but since moving to Lake Tahoe, and experiencing a bad break of my left arm, I've given up racing. My son, though, is another story. Since hooking up with my wife, he's really taken a shine to racing/riding. First, he takes the Overall at a regional series in u13beg, moves up to 12-18spt, takes 3rd overall, then takes 3rd at Napa and 4th at Mammoth this year. Not too shabby since he doesn't train like I know he can. All ability (for now). Oh, this is all in the XC division. I've talked to him about DH, but that doesn't attract him at this time. So, he wants to try the Ezakimak Uphill at Mammoth. By the way, his training, though sparse, does include hauling a 5-gallon bucket of sand in a BOB trailer-- sprints, distance, uphill, he's towing that thing. Stay safe!!

well it's not bad considering i'm only in intermedite grade racing and I've only done DH riding and racing for six months The xc riding here is mostly steep uphills i still go out xc riding but it's to that fun.
Sorry no hard feelings to all you xc people.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Merwin5_10
Started racing last year in a local circuit. Totally fell in love with it. XC racing offers, and demands, it all. Wit, agility, handling, strategy, patience, strength...

Ita a total package sport. I encourage anyone to try racing an XC race. Even if its not to win, race against yourself. (That's the best way to race anyway.) Its amazing what you're campable of when you're given a little motivation to push the edge.
Merwin5_10 what races are you doing? Did you do hrh this weekend?

R

RideMonkey

Hey Mantis,

I'll be in Tahoe next weekend for the 24 hour race. You gonna check it out?

R

RideMonkey

Sorry Mantis, I won't even get outta Boulder until Thursday morn. Thanks for the offer though!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
This has been my first year racing XC. I raced Sport all year and have won 1st in EVERY race I've been in (8). I am moving up to Expert next year where it is likely I will get my butt kicked since I don't have much experience!
________
Medical marijuana dispensary

Last edited:

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Originally posted by Heidi
This has been my first year racing XC. I raced Sport all year and have won 1st in EVERY race I've been in (8). I am moving up to Expert next year where it is likely I will get my butt kicked since I don't have much experience!
Oh you will be just fine if you are placing 1st in every race....

Think positive!!!

:D

www.rapiddescentracing.com

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Thanks Freak! I do think positive, I just know I have a lot of work to do in the off season. The Expert races are longer distances then the Sport races. I'll have to go 100% for a longer period of time.

:)
________
Buy portable vaporizer

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Thanks Freak! I do think positive, I just know I have a lot of work to do in the off season. The Expert races are longer distances then the Sport races. I'll have to go 100% for a longer period of time.

:)
Awesome! For endurance if your not already doing it, distance road riding is really good.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Toninator, you're right. My mtb friends all think I'm crazy but I have been doing A LOT of training on my road bike. Don't everybody hate me, but I'm starting to really like it. My leg speed has increased, and I climb more smoothly.
________
Iolite vaporizer

Last edited:

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Toninator, you're right. My mtb friends all think I'm crazy but I have been doing A LOT of training on my road bike. Don't everybody hate me, but I'm starting to really like it. My leg speed has increased, and I climb more smoothly.
quote from a friend of mine "If your not road riding, your missing out on half of biking." I trained for our Ms150 (180 miles houston to austin bike ride) last year. I did it on my mtbike. I rode around 150 miles a week for 3 months. I was in the best shape of my life. When you practice the "spinning" (no relation to spincrazy)principle it greatly increases your cardio. Dont be afaid to exlpore the "roadie" world.

R

RideMonkey

I have done about 75% of my training on the road this year. Road riding builds endurance, spin technique, and leg speed. It also saves a lot of money. If I were to put in all those miles exclusively on my mountain bike, I think I would be bankrupt from all the new parts I would have bought this year. And its easier on your body. Fun as mountain biking is, if you go out to train and take a trail beating EVERY day, your body is going to get tired and your training will suffer.

Your friends won't think you're crazy when you're kickin their butts!

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I race 30-34 expert in dh, masters in slalom, and sport xc. Sometimes I get the balls to race in the expert catergory for slalom, it's kind of fun to race against guys half my age. D

shocktower

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Molalla Oregon
Ok I`am have never raced my mountain bike yet ,but I will next year ,I want to do some XC and DH may be some DS to . I need to build my hard tail ;) for XC racing cause I don`t want to try and drag my Bullit around an XC course ,now I`am not saying I couldn`t but it just would be slow :p my buddy gave me a CHUCK hard tailframe so I just need the rest of all the goodies :eek: I`am going to get a White Bro`s fork and the rest XTR stuff :D first I need to get the darn thing powder coated probably the same color as my Bullit Scuba yellow :) :monkey:

igjr

Chimp
Aug 23, 2001
CO
I've been racing for about 10 years and I'm about ready to wind it down. I'm a SemiPro and this past season I've been hitting mostly Pro/SemiPro mixed fields. Talk about moving from Sport to Expert, you should see this gap! It's enlightening. Here in CO, you can count on racing against Travis Brown, Jeremy HK, Carl & Pete Swenson, and a handful of others on a pretty regular basis. Definitely a way gauge of fitness.

Anyway, I think it gets more fun and relaxed the higher the class. It just takes so much time and effort that training, travelling, and racing really take their toll if you've got other committments.

Bottom line - Cheers to all racers - make sure you're having fun...

R

RideMonkey

Originally posted by igjr
I've been racing for about 10 years and I'm about ready to wind it down. I'm a SemiPro and this past season I've been hitting mostly Pro/SemiPro mixed fields. Talk about moving from Sport to Expert, you should see this gap! It's enlightening. Here in CO, you can count on racing against Travis Brown, Jeremy HK, Carl & Pete Swenson, and a handful of others on a pretty regular basis. Definitely a way gauge of fitness.

Anyway, I think it gets more fun and relaxed the higher the class. It just takes so much time and effort that training, travelling, and racing really take their toll if you've got other committments.

Bottom line - Cheers to all racers - make sure you're having fun...
Dude!! Lets ride!!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yeh for 15 years.
i have done it all.
not track though.
cx,xc,dh,ds,dl,trials,tenspeeds.

strakos

Official RM Complainer
Sep 10, 2001
3rd rock from the sun
I used to race XC but I didn´t had time enough to train, so I gave it up.
In XC you depend much more of your muscles than in DH, in DH you still need to choose lines, jump over stuff, etc.
In XC it´s just pedal! pedal! pedal!, there´s only one way to go.

IM DH racer from Chile South America Junior and I start riding 2 years ago but I dont have enough money to travel other countrys I was number 2 in junior last year This year I wana win this weckend starts the championship..good circuit..OK c ya

A

a13x

I race Expert DH and DS
Since I sold my DH bike thou now all I race is Expert DS.