Quantcast

Any SCUBA divers out there?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I have my open water, through Padi. Am having a blast with it, while in Asia. I've hit up Thailand a few times, and Saipan as well. Am planning on heading to Okinawa, Yonaguni, and a few other Japanese islands fairly soon.

I don't forsee using it too much when I get back to Vancouver, as water there is glacier runoff, colder than a witches tit. I'd really like to head to Mexico later, everyone I talk to says it's the best place to go.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
zahgurim said:
I have my open water, through Padi. Am having a blast with it, while in Asia. I've hit up Thailand a few times, and Saipan as well. Am planning on heading to Okinawa, Yonaguni, and a few other Japanese islands fairly soon.

I don't forsee using it too much when I get back to Vancouver, as water there is glacier runoff, colder than a witches tit. I'd really like to head to Mexico later, everyone I talk to says it's the best place to go.
Cozumel - Palancar Reef. Wall Dive. Wicked good, eh?

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Here's some pics from my last trip, to Saipan.

I picked up a waterproof case for my Sony DSC Vseries cam, it worked pretty damn good!
Very first dive in I didn't have the cam, and we came across a monster sized sea turtle. Still kicking myself for not having it on me...

Feeding hotdogs to the local wildlife:

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
nice pics :thumb:

other stuff in no particular order:

a) my suit is a surface suit. i use it only for winter/spring sailing
b) diving in the pac nw is cold and murky. :D hawaii or other warmer climes is/are where it's at

I would suggest you go to La Jolla cove, as there is a lot to see, and it is shallow, so the pressure wont be an issue, and you can concetrate on other things. There are tons of cool fish to see, and if you want to go deeper you can, anlso, there arent alot of waves to thrash you on the way out.
Though i dont have SCUBA gear, i do alot of spear fishing,(ALOT), and can easily get to 20-25 feet and stay for 45seconds to a minute, to try to get sum fish.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
geargrrl said:
we have lots of "regular" drysuits that we use for whitewater rafting. We got our open water certs (SSI) a couple of years ago on the Hood Canal, in wetsuits. Brr. The regulars there were all wearing custom dive drysuits and got a close look at what makes them different. The main thing is how the air is vented out. Maybe it was BS but we were told in no uncertain terms that our surface drysuits were not suitable for underwater.

gg
Well, the venting is one thing...but the other, just as important thing is how air gets IN. You LPI hose attaches to the suit, and the suit becomes your bouyancy control instead of your BC.

As you descend, you feel the suit shrink-wrap around you until you air it up. It's wierd. And instead of manually venting like you would with your BC, the valve, usually mounted on your arm, automatically (more or less) releases air to equalize for you.

The thing you need to get used to is how the air collects and moves around in the suit, changing how you float in the water. Ankle weights can be a huge help in maintaining a horizontal attitude.

zahgurim said:

If I can offer you any advice about Okinawa, let me know...that's where I've done 90% of the diving I've ever done. There are a few cool spots I know about...but nothing super-secret, either.

MD