Quantcast

Anybody else use crossfit to DH/MX success?

SCARY

Not long enough
I just started and I gotta say I'm pretty surprised how difficult it can be ,and what a great blend of cardio and weights training it seems to be,just perfect for DH and MX .My ass and hamstrings are sore as hell.Due to injuries that I have I won't be doing some of the more advanced moves.Some of them seem questionable to me as far as stress on certain joints,so I'm going to be doing other exercises.

I've only got 3 workouts in,but I really notice how much my muscles are waking up compared to my usual ride,weights,ride, type of routine.
Anyone have good or bad results using a crossfit program?

And please,I can do without the know-it-alls that seem to have a religious view of their type of exercise and everyone else is going to hell.Save it.They seem to come out at the mere mention of the word "crossfit"

Tdubb

Monkey
Jan 28, 2005
I started at the 1st of the year. Your legs will get better in a few weeks. At least mine did. I think it's great for the same reasons you listed. I'm going 3 times a week for now and when weather gets better my plan is to go to 2days and ride more. But I think it's a great all around workout.

staike

Monkey
May 19, 2011
Norway
The local mtb club arranges crossfit for us this winter. We're only training one time per week but I have noticed I have gotten in much better shape over the winter. Mostly in the legs, but also in the core muscles. Works great.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Through social media Ive learned that alot of cycling teams use forms of crossfit as training tools. I dont think following their workout of the days religiously would truly benifit a rider as much as a structured program with the ideas of Crossfit in it would. None of the exercises in crossfit are new, they just arent as conventional, ie, muscle ups, rowing, kipping, snatch cleans, olympic rings etc.

I dont get that people think its a sport and I never will, its an advanced style of fitness for sure and you can constantly have a new goal to reach, and it keeps things interesting for training for sure, but If your dedicated to a gym routine I would reccomend using it as a tool to achieve new goals rather then a staple regieme.

Personally I just got a set of olympic rings around Xmas and use them about 3 times a week and have noticed huge gains in strength and stability.

Good luck.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I use "functional training" and some of the crossfit ideas, I design my own programs, but I do a lot of very similar things.

Functional training (which is what crossfit is based around) can put you in very good shape for a lot of things. Functional training directly designed aroudn your specific sport can be even better, but for most of us we are not that "elite" of an athlete to see the difference.

SCARY

Not long enough
The biggest hinge for me is that I don't have to think about it.I've been responsible for my own workouts for 24 years(Jesus ,I just added that up in my head)And it's nice to have a break and have somebody else set the program and egg you on in the process.It's a mental vacation from trying to remain motivated.Thanks for the responses.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
The biggest hinge for me is that I don't have to think about it.I've been responsible for my own workouts for 24 years(Jesus ,I just added that up in my head)And it's nice to have a break and have somebody else set the program and egg you on in the process.It's a mental vacation from trying to remain motivated.Thanks for the responses.
No disagreement, it's great when you get to walk into the gym and just do as your told.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
My take: Incorporate some of the concepts, but don't buy into the hype. It's dogmatic, and that's problematic for a number of reasons.

Good luck engaging with a devout XF'er on the merits of XF. You're either all-in on day one or you're out.

Like most training "regimens" that profess to be the end-all, be-all, I'm highly skeptical. And there's simply no fact-checking on the science behind the claims, especially with the ancillary dietary stuff.

Adhering to a crossfit regimen will make you a better crossfitter, at least.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
I've been doing crossfit for about 3 months.
My gym is mellow and avoids the kool-aid/cult attitude that seems to pollute some gyms.
They also don't deal with any dietary BS.
Based on limited google searches of CF there's certainly many programs I couldn't tolerate due to attitude, but that applies to nearly anything in life.

I love the mindless workouts and motivation of the coaches.
Until CF I never found a gym/indoor routine that inspired me.
The coaches tweak the routine to accommodate my multiple injuries.

Every session leaves my ass kicked and the variety is never boring.
Everything activity I do, from sports to tossing my kids around, is easier.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
The thing that keeps Crossfit interesting is that there is alot of Compound movements and exercises that take time to learn and perfect. Ie, Muscle ups, snatch cleans, pistol squats, handstand pushups etc etc. It allows you to create goals that arent the next level of dumbell, which for a biker is important.
I find Crossfit is very cult like in a sense, has an insane amount of followers and anyone with more then a year experience in a crossfit gym automatically assumes they are a legendary trainer.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I like the basis of crossfit. Intense anaerobic strength excercises motivated by peer pressure and team mentality. A set workout so you don't have to think about it, just do the work.
Functional strength and anaerobic threshhold are most important aspects of DH, IMO.

My issue is the excercises they choose. You shouldn't be doing squats and clean/jerk when you past your lactate threshold. There is also little emphasis on proper form. I'm sure this varies by coach, but the classes I observed had people doing stuid things with barbells.

Fartlek/interval/AT training should be comprised of excercises that pose little risk of injury. As you go full retard in lactic acid hell, you form will go to ****. This isn't an issue on a trainer or even a road bike.

The other issue I have is how hard it stresses your body. For most people this is eccessive and really limits how much you can do in a week. Shorter, more intense workouts paired with motions that help your body recover are more productive, IMO.

nowlan

Monkey
Jul 30, 2008
Another thing I think is absoloutley insane about it is when guys are dropping 135lbs plus from chest height doing cleans and all that. Blows my mind.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
www.gymjones.com

A few guys on their staff are fairly competitive road cyclists. They do functional work similar to the crossfit fad, but focus on form, injury prevention, etc. is a little more important than the crossfit folks.

Crossfit as a whole is just simply a twist on functional training. Functional training is important, focus on real world, compound movements, as well as core work is important, obviously mixing in the aerobic/anaerobic aspect is also important.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My riding buddy got into crossfit. He started skipping rides and ski days to workout. He just moved to Staten Island to open a Crossfit gym. Careful you don't take it too far. Those guys are religious.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I totally forget where I read this, but isn't throwing up considered a rite of passage for serious crossfit people? Seems a bit overboard of you ask me. I like the concept of functional training, etc., but why not just get a good trainer & focus on "whole body"movements a la the deadlift and squat.

Also, you can get a ton of info off the training sections on the Vintage BMX board.

SCARY

Not long enough
I'm not the religious type.Anybody that knows me,I don't get too excited about much.I do like the fact that these aren't sport specific movements.Im tired of that.I needed something new that I don't think I know what the goal is and I know how best to get there.Im lost and i like it.Of course once i know all the moves,ill probably get bored,but its still new.Its also nice being around people that aren't into bikes and are impressed when the find out what you do.We look amazing to "normal" people.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
My riding buddy got into crossfit. He started skipping rides and ski days to workout. He just moved to Staten Island to open a Crossfit gym. Careful you don't take it too far. Those guys are religious.
That is what I have seen as well. I know 2 guys who do crossfit and still ride some, but most of the people I know who do cross fit...........do cross fit for their hobby.
They ain't training for another sport.
They are just 110% focused on being the best at excercising.

I am kind of the opposite. The only reason I ever work out is to ride stronger and faster on my bike, or to prevent injury from lawndarting on my bike. And to be honest, I have never done anything in the gym that compares to riding myself silly on my pump track and army crawling back into the house. I feel more benefits from that than lifting.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That is what I have seen as well. I know 2 guys who do crossfit and still ride some, but most of the people I know who do cross fit...........do cross fit for their hobby.
They ain't training for another sport.
They are just 110% focused on being the best at excercising.

I am kind of the opposite. The only reason I ever work out is to ride stronger and faster on my bike, or to prevent injury from lawndarting on my bike. And to be honest, I have never done anything in the gym that compares to riding myself silly on my pump track and army crawling back into the house. I feel more benefits from that than lifting.
He's gonna be crushed when he reads this....:D

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
.Its also nice being around people that aren't into bikes and are impressed when the find out what you do.We look amazing to "normal" people.[/QUOTE]

i think they are buttering you up and will try and eat monkey brains at table faces of death style :monkey

SCARY

Not long enough
.Its also nice being around people that aren't into bikes and are impressed when the find out what you do.We look amazing to "normal" people.
i think they are buttering you up and will try and eat monkey brains at table faces of death style :monkey[/QUOTE]
....well....that explains the odd looking "exercise table" that couldn't figure out what it was for.Damn,weird-ass,crossfit,cannibalism.Knew it was too good to be true.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I've been in CF for just shy of 2 years now. It's definitely fun but for the love of god, please don't buy into the cult mentality. That sh1t drives me nuts. You will definitely see results if your "box" is halfway decent. I think it's really good for DH because your legs/core will probably be stronger than ever. I still suck at long xc rides though.

Oh, we have a coach here on RM...maybe he'll chime in soon.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I am giving up my Bicycle Life Style and taking up Crossfit!!! Joking... I will say I have been doing some Crossfit movements with my normal workout. It has helped in some ways, but have found swimming laps to have helped my core more and upper body strength. Plus it helps build up your Cardio System much more than Running and Cycling. Now, I am not saying give up the needed exercise movements needed for our sport. I tend to replicate movements that are like being on my bike. 100 Squat Jumps up to a 2 foot platform helps. Also sprints on the bike up a hill works too.

Cecil

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma

sloppy form,,, if CF has hot chicks who needs bikes. kinda funny, i live near the reebock headquarters and i get the impression that whole concept is part of the culture with them. doing the movements with crappy form and going all out is a risk for injury. a work out related injury is about the worst way to get hurt, your not having fun, hence work out. i cant say enough good things about something you like for fitness; basketball,street hockey,spin,soccer. that stuff doesnt feel like work if you enjoy what you are doing.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Have you guys ever tried sex? I get a great work out during sex, feel the core tighten up, chest, back, tri's, and my legs feel blown out after and cant walk. Yea thats a good work out to me. :thumb:

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
sorry my bad didnt mean to talk about sex here, go back to talking about what you do to yourself when your girlfriend is sleeping :)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Yes, but it is going to be harder to get your workout in now for the next 9 months now that Snooki is pregnant.;)
oh man I had such a good comment but Ill keep it to myself, RM is getting soft! Sex is all around us, Sex sells and lastly sex is healthy, unless you are getting with Snooks ;) boooosh!