Quantcast

Anybody ever move their family?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
For years my wife and I have wanted to leave this area.

We just bought a house but since we've bought it I've felt even less tied down. At this point I think we're figuring we'll live here for a couple years, fix the house up and sell it.

I love the country around here but it's getting bad. The cost of living is pretty high here but in the past 10-15yrs the area has taken a turn for the worse. The crimes, gangs, guns, drugs, are on the rise. We've become a low income suburb of NYC. The NY schools are getting worse and we will NOT send our daughter to our local

Anyway the whole point of this is we have no specific area we would like to move to and I'm wondering how everybody picked the area they moved to.

Thanks!

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I feel your pain at the NYC comment. Allentown, Pa and area is in the same predicament. I moved to the Lehigh Valley when i was stationed on staff duty at Wilow Grove, Pa Naval Air Station, 45 miles away. I loved the country atmosphere and the attitude of the mostly blue collar Allentown area residents. Then the housing boom caused the same NY/NJ immigration stampede. The suburbs of Allentown are asshatted NY/NJ pricks while inner city Allentown has become little Bronx.

We too are thinking of moving but it's for work and not really my choice. But we are also considering how I can work from home and if I can, we're thinking of moving to the mountains of Western Maryland. What factors would drive this?

Moderate cost of living, general population numbers (less is better for me) and decent school system, even though that isn't as big of a factor with the advent of most states having cyber charter schools now.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
We picked up and left the Bay Area for Eastern Washington when our kids were 1 & 4 and we have never ever regretted it.

Back story. Both DH and I spent our formative years in the Bay Area, left for the Sierras and then Colorado for school. After school spent a few years in Wyoming. Had to go back to Cal when he got pinked slipped while I was pregnant. We absolutely could not stand being in a large metro area after living in the rocky mountains, and gave ourselves 5 years to get out.

His company was looking to open an office first in Boise, and then Spokane. The way we made our decision was by looking at a lot of maps and demographics. We looked at things like climate, where was the national forest, ski areas, rivers, housing and so on. We took a 10% pay cut but we gained much lower housing costs, excellent schools, lots of close amazing recreation opportunities....We've been here since 1991 and have never once regretted the move.

gg

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
We have been debating this recently ourselves. The issue here is job market access.

For my field, Portland is hot. But the level of jobs for my wife aren't. She wants to move to Southern Oregon where she is from, but there are NO jobs in my field. (Ok there is ONE listed in the last 30 days on CL).

Salem is a sh!thole (no offense) and California is too expensive.

But both of us are sick of our area and there aren't too many places that WOW either of us that are within striking distance of "work" around here. Looking at Texas, that was a no-go because they lack any form of public transportation. The only other place we have considered is NC. But I have never spent any time on the east coast and have no base there.

Pulling up roots, regardless of how shallow they are, seems to be a lot harder than expected.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
The AF picked my spots for me...worked out well til now! I loved Alaska, then got hitched and life as I knew it came crashing to a halt!
We loved Spokane, but Germany called and we loved it too. Now the SoCal desert, ehhh, not so much. But there is year round riding here, and great recreation is a 90 min. - 3 hour drive away.
Next is Co. Springs. We hope...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
we constantly talk about moving. In fact we just spent the weekend at my sisters in Doylestown and loved the area. The house were huge, beautiful and half the cost of the one I'm in now. but now with the baby and her mom and my mom so close its even harder to get away.
but if I did i'm heading to warmer climates and would love to live in Cali.. and I know it would be a more rural area.. but now too rural.
I have been fortunate to travel a lot ion my life and when i do I ask myself if I could live in the places I travel to. Most of the time the answer is no, but there have been a few I would be more than willing to try out.

Southern cali, Portland, Maryland ( just out of DC), Costa Rica ...

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
If cost of living and public transportation are important factors, you are going to have a hard time finding a better place than Portland. Your wife can work in Southern Oregon but not Portland? Or is SO just about family? I love it down there - would move there if I could convince the boss.

For my field, Portland is hot. But the level of jobs for my wife aren't. She wants to move to Southern Oregon where she is from, but there are NO jobs in my field. (Ok there is ONE listed in the last 30 days on CL).

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Costa Rica ...
:stupid:

My brother-in-law sold his place in SoCal, sold everything he couldn't fit in the Isuzu Trooper he bought of CL for $500, packed up and split. He bought a 5 acre lot on the beach and has been there about 18 months now. He just finished his house and lives large. He is also single with no kids, so it was an easy call.

I want to kill him and take over his life, but I haven't (yet).

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
we constantly talk about moving. In fact we just spent the weekend at my sisters in Doylestown and loved the area. The house were huge, beautiful and half the cost of the one I'm in now. but now with the baby and her mom and my mom so close its even harder to get away.
but if I did i'm heading to warmer climates and would love to live in Cali.. and I know it would be a more rural area.. but now too rural.
I have been fortunate to travel a lot ion my life and when i do I ask myself if I could live in the places I travel to. Most of the time the answer is no, but there have been a few I would be more than willing to try out.

Southern cali, Portland, Maryland ( just out of DC), Costa Rica ...

Originally we too were looking south. I have a lot of extended family in Doylestown actually. I think if I moved south it would only be as far south as Maryland. We like Maine a lot particularly the area around Portland but I don't know if we could handle the winters.

We need to stay on the east coast because all of our family is here.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
:stupid:

My brother-in-law sold his place in SoCal, sold everything he couldn't fit in the Isuzu Trooper he bought of CL for $500, packed up and split. He bought a 5 acre lot on the beach and has been there about 18 months now. He just finished his house and lives large. He is also single with no kids, so it was an easy call.

I want to kill him and take over his life, but I haven't (yet).

ever been there???
we are in the process of buying a condo there... Near Tamarindo

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If cost of living and public transportation are important factors, you are going to have a hard time finding a better place than Portland. Your wife can work in Southern Oregon but not Portland? Or is SO just about family? I love it down there - would move there if I could convince the boss.
Portland has an increasingly tough job market. There are places asking for a BS degree even for front office work!

She is trying to avoid downtown, but it's looking like that might not be an option. Hillsboro sucks and Beaverton is worse. North Plains is nice, but no bus/MAX access. I'm not a fan of the east side, so the picking gets slim.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
Originally we too were looking south. I have a lot of extended family in Doylestown actually. I think if I moved south it would only be as far south as Maryland. We like Maine a lot particularly the area around Portland but I don't know if we could handle the winters.

We need to stay on the east coast because all of our family is here.
Just to be clear when I said Portland.. it was Portland OR. :biggrin:

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
North Carolina is fast becoming a fantastic suburb of New York. A bit of a drive from Manhattan, but plenty of fellow New Yorkers here already to show you around to the best bagel shops to get some schmear, ya know?

Maryland is technically south-of-the-Mason/Dixon line.....we'll force you to put sugar in your tea!! :shakefist:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
North Carolina is fast becoming a fantastic suburb of New York. A bit of a drive from Manhattan, but plenty of fellow New Yorkers here already to show you around to the best bagel shops to get some schmear, ya know?

Maryland is technically south-of-the-Mason/Dixon line.....we'll force you to put sugar in your tea!! :shakefist:
Yikes I like black iced tea without sugar.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
ever been there???
we are in the process of buying a condo there... Near Tamarindo
My wife went down shortly after he moved. His mom lives about 90 minutes (my step-mother-in-law?) from his place. He's on the west coast, she is on the east. The surf looks amazing and I need to visit, but I have a feeling I won't want to leave.

He will need to get a job at some point, but at 40, he seems to be doing quite well for himself (the bastard).

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
after a year of chatting with some folks from Texas...i came out here for 2 visits and that was all she wrote. the housing here is amazing. houses here that cost about 200k go for about 700k in CT. Wylie in particular is a town just bursting with growth. the schools are excellent. the people are unbelievably friendly. and you can ride or do other outdoor activities almost year round. the only thing i saw i might miss was the ocean, but they have plenty of huge lakes and galveston is only about 5 hours away.

i worried like crazy that i was making the wrong decision...especially when it came to the kids. but a month later i have absolutely NO regrets. everything about this move has been a total life upgrade.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
after a year of chatting with some folks from Texas...i came out here for 2 visits and that was all she wrote. the housing here is amazing. houses here that cost about 200k go for about 700k in CT. Wylie in particular is a town just bursting with growth. the schools are excellent. the people are unbelievably friendly. and you can ride or do other outdoor activities almost year round. the only thing i saw i might miss was the ocean, but they have plenty of huge lakes and galveston is only about 5 hours away.

i worried like crazy that i was making the wrong decision...especially when it came to the kids. but a month later i have absolutely NO regrets. everything about this move has been a total life upgrade.
What town?

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have to say, moving takes some balls.....there is nothing scarier than uprooting and moving to a place where you don't know anyone.

Jimmdean- Salem isn’t all bad, the road riding is great and the freeride park isn’t far away…..you just have to dodge the bums on your way out of town :)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Jimmdean- Salem isn’t all bad, the road riding is great and the freeride park isn’t far away…..you just have to dodge the bums on your way out of town :)
I know Salem better than I should. I still frequent Santiam when I am in town and my best friend lives off Kuebler and Sunnyside. Salem is like a HUGE Hillsboro without the draw of Intel. :D

<edit> anywhere that has paved roads has "great" road riding :rofl:

Durt

Chimp
Nov 28, 2007
Was an apartment dweller in Chicago&#8217;s far north &#8216;burbs. Wanted badly to buy a house and was shocked at the high prices of real estate. Not to mention taxes. We saved every penny we could for 2 years, fired my a-hole boss, packed up and moved to Houston. Wanted to move to Austin but chose Houston as the job market was better at that time. Plus the in-laws live here. Best move I ever made and I moved 13 times in 11 years. It was a risk but we had some money stashed to survive and had a family back up.
My kids were 4 and 6 at the time and we wanted to move early on so they could settle in and spend their time at one school/district. Found a nice house on a cul-de-sac in a great neighborhood. $100K (Couldn&#8217;t touch a starter house for that in Chicago), relatively low taxes (1/3 of my bro who still lives in IL and no state income tax), elementary 1/4 mile away, middle school 1/2 mile away, high school 2 miles away. Not my ideal place to raise kids but at least they are exposed to many different things and people.
Plenty of jobs and opportunity here. Found worthy employment within 8 days of arrival and spent 7 years with that company. If you can&#8217;t find a job in this town, there&#8217;s something wrong with you.
Traded one big city and its problems and headaches for another but I&#8217;m happy with the decision. The pro&#8217;s outweigh the con&#8217;s. The summer sucks because it is so hot and humid but the other 6 months of the year are beautiful. Riding in shirt sleeves on Christmas Eve. Nice!

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
My family moved away from the Bay Area partly because my dad hating the zoning boards and he wanted to work in a place where he didn't have to deal with people as challenged as the ones in Marin. The fact that the public schools sucked and all of our family was back east played a big part in the move also. We moved to a small town on the CT shoreline, it has really good public schools and it's near family.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
I'd bet so. After 6 years in the US, I'd never want to raise my kids there. The US has a lot of good things going for it. And if I didn't have kids, I'd still be down there. But with kids, no sir......
What the difference?

I have no idea what Canada is like but I'm curious to know what you thought made the US a bad place to raise kids?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
What the difference?

I have no idea what Canada is like but I'm curious to know what you thought made the US a bad place to raise kids?
Mostly anecdotal stuff or things that I observed. Experiences my wife and friends had while growing up vs what I had....what other kids were like at school.... It just seems that kids are a lot meaner in the US than they are where I grew up.

I used to watch after-school specials as a kid and never really realized that many of them were based on stuff that really happens. It seems we (at the time anyway), are insulated from much of the ugliness.

I'm guessing the fact that the US has 300 million people vs our 35 million people might have something to do with it.....

Now I'm sure people will post all kinds of links to news stories of bad things happening in Canada. And I'm not saying that stuff doesn't happen. But it has been my experience that people are just generally "nicer" to each other here.....especially kids.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
MMike, you are a US immigrant to Canada?(if I understand correctly?) That's a pretty good sell, they do not make it easy to immigrate with the point system and all that. You must be special!

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
The Navy tells us where to move while my wife is in the CONUS.

However, while she's gone for seven months a year I move to the area that has the most amount of things I like to do outside. I will be heading back to Tahoe in September this year after five more trips to Whistler.

If you don't like where you are it begins to eat at you. I can do it for a limited amount of time, but these days I am at about a six month threshold, then I move again. Post Katrina I have been a bit of a nomad like that.

Move a few times, find somewhere you dig...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
The Navy tells us where to move while my wife is in the CONUS.

However, while she's gone for seven months a year I move to the area that has the most amount of things I like to do outside. I will be heading back to Tahoe in September this year after five more trips to Whistler.

If you don't like where you are it begins to eat at you. I can do it for a limited amount of time, but these days I am at about a six month threshold, then I move again. Post Katrina I have been a bit of a nomad like that.

Move a few times, find somewhere you dig...
Easier said then done when you have a child, family living locally and a house.