Quantcast

Anybody ever move their family?

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
I moved from a small town in Illinois to Phoenix 25 years ago. Knew no one, had no job, etc.- just picked up and went. Motivation at the time was..
1. Being able to ride a motorcycle 12 months out of the year.
2. Living in a large city where the whole population didn't know your business.
3. No corn fields.

Best move I ever made, things have worked out very well over the years.

I realize you have a family involved, which makes things considerably more complicated. But if you are inclined to do so, do it while you are young. Chances are you won't regret it.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Easier said then done when you have a child, family living locally and a house.
I dunno, it depends on how bad you want to go. When we split the Bay Area, we left both my hubby's family and my family behind. We had to sell a house. We had two kids. But the quality of life we wanted just wasn't happening.

We left behind a 45 mile commute that took 1.5 hours, traded for a 15 minute one.

We left behind overcrowded, underfunded schools with no extras for a well funded, small class size school district that has sports, arts, music and gifted ed all funded by the district.

We got 5 x the house for the same amount of money.

We traded a 5 hour drive to skiing for a 30 mile drive.

And sure, we left family behind. That's what cheap southwest tickets are for, or "family talk" minutes.

just depends on what you value.

gg

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Mostly anecdotal stuff or things that I observed. Experiences my wife and friends had while growing up vs what I had....what other kids were like at school.... It just seems that kids are a lot meaner in the US than they are where I grew up.

I used to watch after-school specials as a kid and never really realized that many of them were based on stuff that really happens. It seems we (at the time anyway), are insulated from much of the ugliness.

I'm guessing the fact that the US has 300 million people vs our 35 million people might have something to do with it.....

Now I'm sure people will post all kinds of links to news stories of bad things happening in Canada. And I'm not saying that stuff doesn't happen. But it has been my experience that people are just generally "nicer" to each other here.....especially kids.
I have to agree...all that combined with the much lower crime rate and the higher level of basic education just helped make our decision to move here that much easier...D

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
is it worth it to move somewhere just for the riding and just figuring the rest out when you get there?

I think riding should be pretty far down on the the list...I'm more concerned about employment, crime, population etc....you can ride just about anywhere...or you can always travel to ride somewhere....You don't really have those options when it comes to living...D

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
We moved from chicago to houston. I always believed that you could live anywhere for 5 years.

Turns out 3 is the limit for a crappy city.

Then we moved to austin, been here for 13 years.