Quantcast

Anybody goin to Chelan?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Ill be there now. BUT, whats the deal with camping? Is it allowed onsite? Anyone got tips for a cheap and close place to camp? Are all the hotels booked?
I am assuming they are camping on site again....they have the last 3 or so years from memory.

I am bringing my camping gear.

Might have to scramble for a place to sleep too. :think:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
From R&R:

Camping: Primitive onsite camping available. Uncle Tim’s cabins available as well. More info to follow. (uh time is running out :D)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
From R&R:

Camping: Primitive onsite camping available. Uncle Tim’s cabins available as well. More info to follow. (uh time is running out :D)
If you camp just bring warm gear. I remember waking up Sunday morning with frost on everything, and our water was frozen.

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
I remember the last time we went we camped on site.....There was a couple that had a tent a few spots down from us. They got there hummpy hummpy on...and they were soooooo load. Let's just say the girl had a good set of lungs!!!! :o:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
MUTOLI said:
I remember the last time we went we camped on site.....There was a couple that had a tent a few spots down from us. They got there hummpy hummpy on...and they were soooooo load. Let's just say the girl had a good set of lungs!!!! :o:
:o: sorry

:D j/k

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Rhino, whats limited space mean? 5 spots? Cant you just put up a tent in the parking lot and sleep there? Or do you actually have to be in a real spot?
Primitive
not
Limited
:D

Just parking lot camping. No elec/water/sewer sort of thing. Basically the top half o the parking lot above the shed is used for camping. No campfires, I believe.

It is like $5/night like Pysch01 said.

It has also been very cold like Snacks has said.....2yrs ago was bad! ice and frost...not nearly as bad last year. I think we are hitting Chelan later in the year....anyone remember when we hit chelan last year so it might not be as cold now....bring some long johns "just incase" :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
Primitive
not
Limited
:D

Just parking lot camping. No elec/water/sewer sort of thing. Basically the top half o the parking lot above the shed is used for camping. No campfires, I believe.

It is like $5/night like Pysch01 said.

It has also been very cold like Snacks has said.....2yrs ago was bad! ice and frost...not nearly as bad last year. I think we are hitting Chelan later in the year....anyone remember when we hit chelan last year so it might not be as cold now....bring some long johns "just incase" :)

Ya, the past years the races were on the first weekend of May, so they have moved it back considerably.

I remember two years ago it was snowing at the top by the time the race started!!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Ya, the past years the races were on the first weekend of May, so they have moved it back considerably.

I remember two years ago it was snowing at the top by the time the race started!!
Hahaha I forgot about the snow! Yeah that was a cold one.....it also warmed up real nice that day I beleive. That is when they ran us down to the finishline table top of death....:D
I have shots of me in practice wearing a windbreaker to help keep warm...I rarely have to do that.....

I don't know that the weather is like now.....

SebringMGB

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Washington
Cant find any hotels with vacancy... looks like hotel bed-roll next to the car is gonna be the solution. anyone know of any nearby hotels with vacancy?

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
PsychO!1 said:
If it's like the past, which i believe it is.....

Parking lot camping, $5.

it it's like last year, it's $5 per tent AND truck/car per night... so $10/night (which was never disclosed until you got there and were setting up camp). "Uncle Tim" is an ASS MONKEY! I'm not camping up there on shear principle this year.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
SebringMGB said:
Cant find any hotels with vacancy... looks like hotel bed-roll next to the car is gonna be the solution. anyone know of any nearby hotels with vacancy?
http://www.chelanparkway.com/index.html
That place looks fun....try them out. School is out and the town is probably full of vacationing families. They are essentially on the water.

How many places did you try?

If you want to camp there is onsite or the city park.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DHRacer said:
it it's like last year, it's $5 per tent AND truck/car per night... so $10/night (which was never disclosed until you got there and were setting up camp). "Uncle Tim" is an ASS MONKEY! I'm not camping up there on shear principle this year.
I don't think everyone got the same deal you got....:think: All he cared about was a ticket in the trucks window or something.

Sounds like he bent you over and did you prison style. :eek:

speedbump

Chimp
Mar 27, 2003
Methow Valley, WA
DHRacer said:
You only live like 45 minutes away. Why camp at all? :p

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
RhinofromWA said:
I don't think everyone got the same deal you got....:think: All he cared about was a ticket in the trucks window or something.

Sounds like he bent you over and did you prison style. :eek:
in your wet dreams fly boy.

No, that's what they were doing. I debated with him about it, and told him exactly what R&R had on their website as far as camping fees. Ultimately i had to pay the 5 for the tent and the 5 for the truck, per night. Jason did too.

regardless... he's still an assmonkey. I'm not camping.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DHRacer said:
in your wet dreams fly boy.

No, that's what they were doing. I debated with him about it, and told him exactly what R&R had on their website as far as camping fees. Ultimately i had to pay the 5 for the tent and the 5 for the truck, per night. Jason did too.

Well I sent him an email yesterday...

Reply:
$15 for weekend one car one tent.

Reply to:
Hello,

What is the charge for camping at the parking lot for this weekends MTB festival at Chelan. If you can please respond so I can inform my teammates and friends. We would all have tents….no trailers or motor homes.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
RhinofromWA said:
Well I sent him an email yesterday...

Reply:
$15 for weekend one car one tent.

Reply to:
Hello,

What is the charge for camping at the parking lot for this weekends MTB festival at Chelan. If you can please respond so I can inform my teammates and friends. We would all have tents….no trailers or motor homes.
Yo! Rhino...is there a web site for this camping place? Looks like trailhacker and I won't be coming into town until late Saturday night. We're probably end up sleeping in the truck. I really don't want to try and set up a tent at 10pm.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
Yo! Rhino...is there a web site for this camping place? Looks like trailhacker and I won't be coming into town until late Saturday night. We're probably end up sleeping in the truck. I really don't want to try and set up a tent at 10pm.
My tent goes up in under 10 minutes in the dark with one or two people. bring a flash light. My truck is uncomfortable to sleep in so tenting is a sure thing.

UNcle Tim's

http://www.uncletimstoys.com/uncletim_home.htm

MUTOLI

Air Monkey
Mar 14, 2004
PNW
zzzzzzzzzzip! What the hell...who's crawling into the tent!!!! :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Snacks said:
So there is a tent area at this Tims place...I'm not seeing it on his site?

Humm....your camping? Humm....what color is your tent? :sneaky:
Tims tenting site IS the staging area. It is in the parking lot, like in the past. You can rent the cabins too....but I was asking him about the parking lot camping.

Ummm min tent is teh blue one....yeah and I drive a White Dodge minivan. :)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
I was planning on doing the race venue camping, but my ride wants to stay somewhere with a shower. Meh, who needs showers?
If it's cool we might crash at your site. We'll split the cost of the site.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DHRacer said:
Well the price went up. *bowing to DHRacer*

$15 a night to tent camp.

I asked him if that $15 was for the night or weekend like he originally worded it........

it was for a night.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
So could anyone give me some suggestions for gearing and tires for chelan?? I have never been there and don't know what the conditions are like. I've heard it's pedally. Like little ring flat pedally, or big ring fast open down hill pedally?? Also, is it loamy, sandy, rocky?? Any info would be much appriciated!

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
DH Diva
I will be running a 38 up front and a very small road casset in back (11-21). For tires I will be running Arrows (slow react compound in front) this year. Last year was a 36 with 11-32 and Gazzi Jrs. Last year tires were great, gears = not enough for me. Expect dry hardpack with some dusty silt and sand in places. If the course is mostly unchanged expect a few man made rock gardens small jumps and small but fun flowing berms up top. There is a decent road gap (caution if there is cross winds). Speed picks up pretty good mid course (open terrain) with the final run to the finish being an off camber very fast excelerating high speed dash down slope, bravery tested by not touching the brakes. Last year the finish had a stupid little jump (bad design for the speed across it) that caused some very scary moments for many.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Normal Gearing Highrollers all around, not too pedaly but not too gnar either, all in all pretty fun.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
DH Diva said:
So could anyone give me some suggestions for gearing and tires for chelan?? I have never been there and don't know what the conditions are like. I've heard it's pedally. Like little ring flat pedally, or big ring fast open down hill pedally?? Also, is it loamy, sandy, rocky?? Any info would be much appriciated!
This year im riding maxxis Minion 2.5 ST, and HR 2.5 60d. For rings i stepped up from 36t to 38t, and run a srtandard sram 9 speed cassette. Last year was really dusty in practice, bur for the race runs it wasnt bad, unless you overtake the person in front. Evil Bob pretty much nailed the course. The rock gardens there stay put for the most part. the one on the corner did get blown out a bit but not like the spokane one.....

Also I learned last year that sitting and pedaling is not as good as standing and pedaling.. :D ... and also on the big road gap.... stay to the right, you can pretty much roll it.... Watch the fast guys... they all barley hit that one, only the showoffs hit it like a big booter. I hope the stupid finish line jump is either made with a longer take off tranny, or its just gone completley.

I cant wait!

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
now my dad says we're not going to my cabin and that if we go to the race i have to get up at 4am (i'm a teenager BTW) to drive all the way to chelan and get there in time for practice and registration. combine that with the fact that I realized the race was on father's day and you get me not going to chelan :mumble:

I'm workin on getting my mom to take me to Squilchucker, which is only like 40minutes from my cabin, whereas chelan was like 1.5-2hours

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
oly said:
The rock gardens there stay put for the most part. the one on the corner did get blown out a bit but not like the spokane one.....
well, there werent' rocks in that corner when we set up the course in the weeks prior. A bunch of cornholes went up before practice on Sat and tossed a bunch of rocks into that corner (yeah, you know who you are...) and by the way, one of you owes me a new derailleur! :rolleyes: (first practice run, one of those rocks kicked up and ripped mine clean off :angry: ) So trust me, that corner was not intended to be that way, and shouldn't be this year... unless you get some course poachers again.