Quantcast

Anybody Loosing Tires On Stan's ZTR Flow Hoops?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So went and road a local trail today somewhat rocky. I was feeling fast was pushing hard in a few turns and the rear tire started folding over good. Then on a small rock at high speed I landed sideways and it did the same. Felt like it almost broke the bead loose. Ay tips or tricks you guys have found? I am 210 lbs and had like 26lbs in there I would guess......

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Being about your weight myself, the only good solution I've found to combat that roll is more pressure. I used to run 721s for all my bikes, which i believe are similar width to stans ztr. Maybe a wider rim would help?

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Are they the old Flows or the Flow EXs? Some riders have said that the Flow EX do not hold a tire as well as the old one, but I don't have any first hand experience on this

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
Woah. 26psi seems really damn low for your weight. I'm 170-175# and have zero problems running Minion Exos, Minion 2-ply, et al. on the old ZTR Flow rims @ 28-30psi front. I don't even have any sealing problems with a front ZTR wheel/Minion Exo setup that I bashed in a stack and semi-tacoed the rim on. I mounted tubeless with Gorilla Tape.

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
What Tire was it? The non-tubeless Maxxis's would not stay on mine at 195lbs of mass on top of them. No issues w/ TR Schwalbe's. (except for the knobs ripping off)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
They are the new EX's and for tires it is a Maxxis Minion DHR II 2 PLY DH 42a. I need to throw a pressure guage on. If thats the case I will run tubes again maybe. No issues running tubes and mid 20 PSI for years....

Can the STANS even fit a tube in them?

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Below 35 psi I can peel a tire off that rim on command. I am running with Specialized 2bliss control casing tires. If I run upper 30s its usually OK.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
So went and road a local trail today somewhat rocky. I was feeling fast was pushing hard in a few turns and the rear tire started folding over good. Then on a small rock at high speed I landed sideways and it did the same. Felt like it almost broke the bead loose. Ay tips or tricks you guys have found? I am 210 lbs and had like 26lbs in there I would guess......
ha, I'm 130lbs soaking wet and always run 28-32psi on those same rims.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm 225 and there's no way I could run 26psi. I was folding tires at 30 on an 823 this last weekend.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I'm 225 and there's no way I could run 26psi. I was folding tires at 30 on an 823 this last weekend.
TUBELESS MY A+! thanks I will go back to DH tubes add 400 grams to the bike and run 23-28 LBS all day long. Crap now I need new hoops unless the STans can hold a DH tube but there is very little room in there....

I remeber riding Tunnel back in 2001 with Lancaster, Collins and Robertson they had like 20LBS on the old WTB Moto DH Laser tires. I was running a bit more.

So even if I went to an 823 hoop I still shouldn't be under 30 PSI?

Last edited:

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
There are a lot of people blowing tires off those rims. There are also few injuries in my area that I am aware of. Most have been tubeless but I have also heard of tires coming off those rims with tubes.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
There are a lot of people blowing tires off those rims. There are also few injuries in my area that I am aware of. Most have been tubeless but I have also heard of tires coming off those rims with tubes.
Okay so what hoops do I replace them with???

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I've 'knock on wood' never blown a tire off, or even burped one on 823s. My biggest problem with tubes was I was constantly getting pinch flats. There's no way I could run 26psi on a tubed setup.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
I've 'knock on wood' never blown a tire off, or even burped one on 823s. My biggest problem with tubes was I was constantly getting pinch flats. There's no way I could run 26psi on a tubed setup.
Yeah I have had pretty good luck and guys much much faster than me running tubes. It is super rocky around here and I have had 2-3 pinch flats riding since like 98 using DH tires and DH tube combos....

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
On a side note, I just started building my own wheels, so I'm hoping that actually helps add to the life of my wheels, since I actually care about the wheels I'm building. I have a suspicion that part of my issues with wheels have just been crappy builds.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Out of curiosity, I wonder what it is about the flow ex rims that is causing this?
The reason I ask is that I am running the arch ex rims on my 66 trail bike. They are a
light, not very stiff, not very wide trail rim. That said, I have ran nothing but flimsy
trail tires set up tubeless on them and I have never even burped a tire. That includes
enduro races, super d races, short course dh etc.... They seem to hold on to the tire bead
very well. Also, I have always ran tubeless beaded tires on them, so maybe that helps.
But the Flow ex should just be a wider stronger version of my rim.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Out of curiosity, I wonder what it is about the flow ex rims that is causing this?
The reason I ask is that I am running the arch ex rims on my 66 trail bike. They are a
light, not very stiff, not very wide trail rim. That said, I have ran nothing but flimsy
trail tires set up tubeless on them and I have never even burped a tire. That includes
enduro races, super d races, short course dh etc.... They seem to hold on to the tire bead
very well. Also, I have always ran tubeless beaded tires on them, so maybe that helps.
But the Flow ex should just be a wider stronger version of my rim.
If you'll recall, back in the day certain rims hated Maxxis DH tire beads. Remember the weekend at Snowshoe I spent putting my tire back on the rim every time I hit the hard left on the grave?

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Okay so what hoops do I replace them with???
IMO there is a hole in current rim offerings. I want something wide, lightish and with a UST bead. WTB makes one but my current WTB rims built up really poorly. I'd probably get the DT FR600 in the mean time.

Edit: I'm not a tubeless guy. I'd bite the weight bullet and get 823s if I wanted to run tubeless.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
The way I look at it, you just need more pressure. If you're not tearing the tire of or breaking the bead, there's nothing wrong with the interface. You just don't have enough support for the sidewall.

I can always tell when my pressure is too low because the rear end starts to get squirmy, with it being the most noticeable on hard corners.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Any tips or tricks you guys have found? I am 210 lbs and had like 26lbs in there I would guess......
Yikes! I'm 170lbs and run 32-33psi in the rear. I can get away with 28-29 in front. That's for all my different bike/tire combos as the burlier casings see harder hits. I need to run those pressures to eliminate rim dents but a side effect is I've never had rolling or burping problems. I still hear the rims bottoming-out on rocks sometimes but in the last few years I've only had minor dents on my alloy rims and nothing visible on carbon rims so those pressures are pretty dialed in.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
They are the new EX's and for tires it is a Maxxis Minion DHR II 2 PLY DH 42a. I need to throw a pressure guage on. If thats the case I will run tubes again maybe. No issues running tubes and mid 20 PSI for years....

Can the STANS even fit a tube in them?
I've had problems keeping a DHR2 on rims. You sure it's the rim, not the tire?

30-32 PSI on my trail bike, Stans Flow originals with minion DHF exo folding bead 2.5 front and high roller 2.35 rear.

blown the front tire off tubeless once, with tube again, and ripped the rear off with tube. Also my rear rim bead is badly dinged in two places, within a month or two of building the wheels

This has been my first tubeless setup, and it was great in every respect except for not blowing off the rim. I don't know if its the folding bead or the flows or some disagreement between them, but the lip of the rear rim dinging so easily is pushing me towards building a new set with something else.

Out of curiosity, how well have tires been staying on with ghetto tubeless? Graves running ghetto on his endownhillo bike caught my attention, especially since I'm really cheap and don't give a **** about weight. I just hate changing tubes all the time

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Original Flows, 180 lb rider all geared up
DHF EXOs w/XC tubes - 30/32lbs, no issues outside of flats
Wildgrip'r 2 2.35s tubeless - 30/32lbs, not a single burp

To find the right tire pressure I repeatedly decrease PSI by 2 lbs in each tire until I start to see criss-cross marks on the sidewalls from them folding in hard corners. Once I find that point I just add 2 PSI back in.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Out of curiosity, how well have tires been staying on with ghetto tubeless? Graves running ghetto on his endownhillo bike caught my attention, especially since I'm really cheap and don't give a **** about weight. I just hate changing tubes all the time
Graves runs ghetto tubeless on DT rims. It seems to work but it is very difficult to set up. Those rims are tight without the tube in there.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
195#, have to run 32front, 35rear to keep tires and not dent the crap out of rims. not had any issues with any tire that has butyl reinforcement burping.

however, does the EXO has a real butyl reinforced sidewall? if not, that is probably your issue more than anything else...

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I thought RM orthodoxy was that you can't run tubeless for DH, and NoTubes rims are like Swiss cheese and don't hold up to even moderate riding?!

In all seriousness though, I run flow ex tubeless on my trail bike and the moment I try riding serious terrain with non-dh tires on the Flow rims, I wind up ripping them off. I've accepted this and have few problems as a result.

For the record, I'm 215, and ride a Mojo HD here in the north east.

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I thought PSI was relative as regards tubeless? In other words 32psi tubeless will feel and perform like 26 with a tube... Or something along those lines.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
^^ My experience agrees. I run tubeless except for when a newish tire gets damage. So, I don't always tube, but when I do, I run a couple psi lower than an equivalent tubeless setup.

Elephant in the room: every bike pump pressure gauge I've ever used is not precise enough for modern DH racing, imo. So, your pump gauge might say 30 psi, which might read 34 or 27 psi on somebody else's gauge. I replaced the gauge on my pump with one with a useful range (0-60 psi), 1 psi increments, and it is repeatable enough to confidently make 1 psi changes.

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
TUBELESS MY A+! thanks I will go back to DH tubes add 400 grams to the bike and run 23-28 LBS all day long. Crap now I need new hoops unless the STans can hold a DH tube but there is very little room in there....

I remeber riding Tunnel back in 2001 with Lancaster, Collins and Robertson they had like 20LBS on the old WTB Moto DH Laser tires. I was running a bit more.

So even if I went to an 823 hoop I still shouldn't be under 30 PSI?

Yeah, and you remember how Lancaster had an xc tire w/ the bead cutoff inside that DH tire w/ DH tube? His wheel may not have flatted @ 20 psi, but it weighed a good 10 lbs!!!

Fast, loamy, bermed out SC trails will fold tires @ 28 psi just from the uber traction. But you shouldn't have that problem in loose and rocky SLO.
Best bet put a few more psi in there and don't land all sideways brah!;)

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
195#, have to run 32front, 35rear to keep tires and not dent the crap out of rims. not had any issues with any tire that has butyl reinforcement burping.

however, does the EXO has a real butyl reinforced sidewall? if not, that is probably your issue more than anything else...
Running the DHR II DH steel bead out back ditched the EXO when they blew off the first time?
Yeah, and you remember how Lancaster had an xc tire w/ the bead cutoff inside that DH tire w/ DH tube? His wheel may not have flatted @ 20 psi, but it weighed a good 10 lbs!!!

Fast, loamy, bermed out SC trails will fold tires @ 28 psi just from the uber traction. But you shouldn't have that problem in loose and rocky SLO.
Best bet put a few more psi in there and don't land all sideways brah!;)
Yeah will try more PSI in there. Yeah sometimes he would run the XCODE tube around his DH tube sort of like a tube condom....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Is there any chance your riding has progressed since you moved to the DHR II, maybe you get more grip and can load it up more than previous tyres?

I found the quicker I rode the more pressure I had to run, I am a similar weight however with a different combo.