Quantcast

Anyone an AirBNB landlord?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I am curious what kind of vessel you had, I've lived in more boats than houses

1975 Uniflite 42 double cab. Sturdy bitch, same hull that the Navy used for PT boats. Fire suppressant in the epoxy made the fiberglass bubble. Ugly, too expensive to run with dual 4 barrel 454s, but floated well enough. Electrical system looked like something people who wore boat shoes fucked with for 40 years.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
@gonefirefightin interestingly, I actually have had better experiences with AirBnb listings by the homeowners than by property management companies. I've probably stayed in 70+ AirBnbs now, and nearly all of the problem experiences I've had (poor communication, bad cleaning, unexpected issues) were with property companies. Always seems to me like the owners I've rented from have cared a little more.

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@gonefirefightin interestingly, I actually have had better experiences with AirBnb listings by the homeowners than by property management companies. I've probably stayed in 70+ AirBnbs now, and nearly all of the problem experiences I've had (poor communication, bad cleaning, unexpected issues) were with property companies. Always seems to me like the owners I've rented from have cared a little more.
Interesting, must be a west coast or even regional thing.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
Being a warlord pays better than being a slumlord. Just saying.
there’s no retirement from warlord though.

us slumlords have a saying. “Even a monkey can run a property management company fir a month”. See it’s all smooth sailing at first and many problems take month to develop.

you could hire a company to take care of it. Then over the next year learn who to use, see what you need, copy or steal their stuff, hire the cleaners cousin,(don’t sleep with her). Then shit can the company and take over.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I have no desire to manage it myself. Live too far away and want my free time to be spent skiing, not dealing with issues.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks like I'll have to pay this fee:

$25 per advertised head sleeping capacity. That'd be 10 heads for this house: 4 bedrooms + bed in basement.

and potential deductions to take. Some will not apply to this definitely < 50% rented place for sure.

But I'll definitely take advantage of the ones that I can, including mileage (will start habit of taking photos of odometer before and after eligible trips). Short list:

- mileage
- rental fees
- won't qualify for section 179
- furniture/appliances/linens
- property tax
- insurance
- marketplace and management fees
- home office for my time spent here thinking about this!
- utility bills
- mortgage interest

Will have to keep track of dates and expenses very carefully as apparently prorated by time rented.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
@Toshi

For simplicity and reconciliation purposes I would recommend you start a fresh checking account now for allocation and tax purposes along with its own credit card. Once you muddy up your personal finances with your rentals it will get expensive and labor intensive when it comes to accounting time and reconciliations. I use this one and only account for all things rental and it simplifies the whole process especially when handing the statements and spreadsheets over.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
An update: signed on with Vacasa. $1k signup bonus, which is nice and will offset the linen program fee almost entirely. On-boarding clearly delayed until after close + week or two to get some minor work done (two leaky faucets, one unhooked vent duct, repainting one interior wall).

Also made up a list of what we need to stock the place per their requirements. Some weird stuff (ironing board, potato masher) but many useful items I may have forgotten about otherwise.

Things we will need, noting that linens proper unlisted are going to be part of the Vacasa linens program. Vacasa's list of what's required is actually a really nice reference, with some stuff required but superfluous (iron?!) but others good in that we've noticed their absence at other rentals in the past.

1.5 quart covered saucepan
3 quart covered saucepan
8 quart covered stockpot
4 quart covered sauté pan
10" skillet (non-stick of some sort)
8.5" skillet
Coffee maker (French press) x 2
Coffee grinder x 2
Toasters x 2
Water glasses x 20
Wine glasses x 20
Large and small plates x 20
Bowls x 20
Coffee cups x 20
Wine/bottle opener x 2
Can opener x 2
Spatulas
Measuring cups x 2
Cooking knife set x 2
Steak knife set x 1
Mixing spoons
Whisks
Pancake spatula
Cheese grater
Potato masher
Ladle
Potato peeler
Spaghetti spoon
Oven mitts x 2 sets
Cutting board set x 2
Strainer
Knife sharpener
Pyrex Snapware set
Baking dish
Roasting pan
Cookie sheets x 2
Pizza pan
Pizza cutter
Kitchen scissors x 2 (not on list)
Paper towel holder x 2
Wastebaskets and recycle bins x many
Plastic cups and plates for kids x several
Kid silverware (not on list)
Pitchers x 2
Serving platters
Mixing bowls/salad bowls
Blender
Slow cooker, large
Rice cooker, 10 cup fancy
Electric skillet (optional)
Waffle maker (optional)
Pillows x 20 (including basement stash here)
Pillow covers x 20
Mattress covers x 5 (verify sizes!)
Gel pillow(s) (not on list)
Bath sheets
Comforters, etc. Jessica to handle
Extra blankets for closets/cold nights x 8?
Accent pillows
Plungers and toilet brushes x 4
Hair dryers x 3
Doormat
Ironing board
Iron
First aid kit x 3
Fire extinguishers x 4
Broom and dustpan (optional)
Vacuum x 1 (optional)
Flashlights (ideally rechargeable/plug-in, optional) x 4
BBQ utensils (optional, might be included)
Bunch of lightbulbs (need to survey sizes)

Whew.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
bump for @kidwoo ’s benefit

about 90% of the Vacasa list in this pile in my (Denver) garage. Closing May 7.

D3871F67-730D-4B8C-BE13-FB230FD1D247.jpeg
3D68A141-CA17-4F4C-96F7-0B703DF52153.jpeg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sadly no Washlets in this house

:(

The box marked "bippy" by the Cuisinart box is of toilet paper, I am told. This is just for our initial use. Once up and running with Vacasa they'll handle that.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Oh, good point. Those are weeks off from Devo anyway due to the general nuttiness, and I'd totally mark it as available for those and rack in the moolah.
have you thought of a ig account for it for advertisement....