Quantcast

Anyone else get a new cup...Udi??

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Cool. Let us know how they work out.

I wonder if the 4.625" Socom cups are close enough to work on my Bottle Rocket's 4.725" HT. :think:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Yes they will work fine!!

Read back to either my original post about drawing out my own cups, or the one RTR posted. IIRC a change in approx an inch in head tube length (from 127mm to 150mm I think) resulted in 0.0015 degree variation in bearing seat angle. The angular contact bearing used should have ZERO problem compensating for 15 thousounds of a degree IMO, and yours would be much less.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Yeah I got mine! was thinking about taking some pics but it was night time here and I was lazy! good on ya for doing it though. :)

I am quite impressed the the quality on them, to be honest when I made payment I was just prepared for raw cups with an alignment groove... so this is nice.

Let me know what you think when you install them, also I'd like to hear how you go getting the old cups out, last time I tried they were very happy to just stay put.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yes they will work fine!!

Read back to either my original post about drawing out my own cups, or the one RTR posted. IIRC a change in approx an inch in head tube length (from 127mm to 150mm I think) resulted in 0.0015 degree variation in bearing seat angle. The angular contact bearing used should have ZERO problem compensating for 15 thousounds of a degree IMO, and yours would be much less.
Awesome, I hadn't bothered running the numbers on that yet, but that's tiny. Given that, I'm sure the .1" difference will be totally insignificant. I may need to pick up a set.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Anyone have a link to their site? I'm thinking it might be nice to run my Izimu [120mm headtube] in the middle hole with the slack HA...my BB feels pretty low to me.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hmm. BR with a 65.5 degree HTA could be interesting. I got a 180mm fork for it with the intention of being able to slack it out more to DH, but the BB ended up to high. I then dropped the fork to 160, but then felt like I wanted the bike slacker for more DH stuff. So maybe with the new cups, I could drop the fork even lower to trail ride, and kick it back up to 160 to DH with. That sounds tempting.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
So the Sunday has a 127mm headtube length, correct? Meaning I would be able to use the 1 degree cups on my Izimu with a 120mm headtube...

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
davep, how did you come up with your number of .0015 degrees? I just did a back of the napkin calculation for my specific application, and came up with a change of bearing seat angle of .032 degrees. Still shouldn't matter, I don't think, but figured I'd run it by you. You seem to know what you're talking about better than I do (I'm just an enginerd in training at this point. :D)

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
So the Sunday has a 127mm headtube length, correct? Meaning I would be able to use the 1 degree cups on my Izimu with a 120mm headtube...
Yeah it should be fine.. alternatively, the socom cups are designed for a 117.5mm headtube which is a little closer, especially if you faced your headtube. However those are -1.5deg so I'd just take your pick depending on how much slacker you want it, I suspect that might be more slackness than you want.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Yeah, I think the Socom cups would be a bit on the slack side.

I still have to play around with my setup a lot at this point so I may just have to get used to the lower BB coming off an SX Trail, I only have one ride on the Izimu so far.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I agree - just ride it for a while first and see how you go. I think the cups are probably best left to unadjustable frames where you don't have another choice.

Personally I've found anything above 13.5 on an 8" travel bike is usable, however 13.7-13.8 will let you pedal through more terrain while still being adequately low.

josemi

Chimp
Dec 21, 2007
zaragoza
Hi Udi,
I don´t reply your mail, because I want to talk with my friend, but today was imposible.
To take the cups out of the frame, he left me a normal removal cup tool, the only diference is that it is especific for 1.5 inches frame.
I think it is a Park Tool 1.5 headset cup removal.
Today I will confirm the real brand.
I take it out prety easily.
So if you get the tool try it.
Good luck.
I´m waiting for my cups.
They travel faster to Australia, because Australian riders are faster.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hi Udi,
I don´t reply your mail, because I want to talk with my friend, but today was imposible.
To take the cups out of the frame, he left me a normal removal cup tool, the only diference is that it is especific for 1.5 inches frame.
I think it is a Park Tool 1.5 headset cup removal.
Today I will confirm the real brand.
I take it out prety easily.
So if you get the tool try it.
Good luck.
I´m waiting for my cups.
They travel faster to Australia, because Australian riders are faster.
Zaragoza Spain?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Ah bueno, pues yo pasé un curso allá hace un año, pero soy de California. ¿Conoces al tío de la tienda de BMX k se llama Da Groove? No me acuerdo ahora de su nombre.

Last edited:

RedOne

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Nuremberg, Germany
I think the cups are probably best left to unadjustable frames where you don't have another choice.
'09 Izimu doesn't have that adjustable shockmount.
With the slacker setting on the '08 Izimu, the rear tire hits the seat tube at 7.5 inches of travel.

Maybe I will try a set of these cups when i got rid of my shoulder injury.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
any one know if these are good to go with a 2004 iron horse sgs? Bicyclist, como es que hablas tan bien el español? Da agrado saber que los gringos si se interesan en hablar nuestro idioma! jaja saludos desde Chile

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
west coast no son gringos? tema aparte, que es un gringo? la mitad de los estado unidenses en la costa oeste son de origen latinoamericano verdad?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Bicyclist, como es que hablas tan bien el español? Da agrado saber que los gringos si se interesan en hablar nuestro idioma! jaja saludos desde Chile
Pues estudié en españa, entonces aprendí lo que conozco del idioma allá. Hay que aprender el español cuando no se puede comer sin el, jaja. aunque ya se ha empeorado un montón desde cuando estaba allá... saludos del coste oeste! - 'gringo'

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
anyone knows if this will fit a iron horse sgs? it has a 130 head total length
If you are able to face and ream your headtube a full 10mm. That's quite a bit, and even if you have the space, your headtube might not be able to safely take it. IDK, I haven't really worked much with an SGS. At least not with the headtube/headset enough to know.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Huh? The sunday has a 127mm headtube, the SGS is only 3mm off (if that figure of 130mm is accurate). If you use the sunday cups, it should work perfectly IMO.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
SGS DHs are already slacker than Sundays isn't it?.. well mine is. (got one of each)

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Hi.

As UDI has already said - the sunday cups were designed around a 127mm headtube - 3mm difference in headtube will be fine with very small numbers of deviation from the intended (0.25deg or thereabouts - i have not done a calculation for this number but looked into this before manufacture)

You will be just fine with the Sunday cups.

Thanks, Rick

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I just got my cups today. Anybody have any experience removing e13 cups from a frame? Tips/advice?

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I just got my cups today. Anybody have any experience removing e13 cups from a frame? Tips/advice?
I've found them easy to uninstall provided you used grease during the install and have the right tools. The Park headset removal tool works great.