Quantcast

anyone ever gone to see a shrink before?

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
Waste of time for me. But you only get as much out of it as you put into it, and I was young and not there by choice.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
McGRP01 said:
Waste of time for me. But you only get as much out of it as you put into it, and I was young and not there by choice.
word.understandable. i am 30.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I saw one briefly during a time where my parents were splitting up and I was having trouble in high school. I wasn't predisposed to disliking it (I put an effort forth, since my parents asked me to go), but I hated the guy and we really didn't bond. He had some annoying mannerisms that I found unprofessional and irritating, and thus I couldn't relax or open up to him. I think I went 4 times before telling my parents that they were wasting my money.

I've seen many people have positive results, though. Just sharing my experience.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
McGRP01 said:
HUMPING 2 chicks f'ed up your head?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
It depends on yoru attitude and the shrink.

My girlfriends aunt has a masters degree in psychology, but chooses to practice bullsh*t techniques like "past life regression therapy." :rolleyes:

Stay away from those whack nuts.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
yeah iam not concerned at all about any nonsense reflected by the way i was raised, i couldnt have asked for better parents. they are still together and our relationship has only gotten better since i have gotten older.

i was just curious what ya'lls experiences were like.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
jacksonpt said:
I went to one for a stretch, found it to be helpful, though I suspect it depends both on your mindset and the shrink.
what do you mean by the mindset? i thought people went to shrinks because of their mindset?

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
McGRP01 said:
..... But you only get as much out of it as you put into it, and I was young and not there by choice.
I got a lot out of psychotherapy - my life sucked and I needed to change. You definately need to willing to listen to what a good therapist has to offer, and to look at yourself. Notice I said "good", there are a lot of crappy therapists out there, so get a referral.

I've also seen a psychiatrist for medically related mental health issues.

feel free to PM me if you want.

geargrrl

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Psycho ex-girlfriend convinced me that I should go to therapy. It was pretty much a waste of my time. Come to find out the whole reason I was acting depressed was because I was with her sorry ass. Turns out she was the one that needed the help.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
biggins said:
what do you mean by the mindset? i thought people went to shrinks because of their mindset?
my guess is that mindset might be something like this... if you go to a therapist wanting to know how to fix someone else's problems, or expecting validation for your bad choices or attitude, you might be in for a big surprise.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
thanks for the responses and ya'lls honesty.

so are there any resources that i can use to find a reputable and good therapist in my area. i dont have much money or any health insurance so i cant waste my time with crackpots.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
biggins said:
thanks for the responses and ya'lls honesty.

so are there any resources that i can use to find a reputable and good therapist in my area. i dont have much money or any health insurance so i cant waste my time with crackpots.
ask around, happy customers are the best referral.
Also, if you have a clear idea of why you want to see someone, that helps too.... depression, addiction, relationship issues, family of origin, etc. Most therapists have "specialty". There are also different kinds of therapy - cognitive talk therapy, behavior modification, EMDR etc.

Most major cities have some sort of mental health clinics that operate on a sliding scale, and many therapists use a sliding scale anyway. I was really lucky and was referred to someone really good by the family doc.

gg.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
SkaredShtles said:
Try yoga. :blah:
i actually just finished up writing out my weekly exercise schedule.
it includes yoga, meditation, pillates and weights.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
biggins said:
can't tell if this is a serious question or not, but...

mindset as in... if you go in thinking "screw this... this is gay", chances are good you won't get anything out of it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
been twice, both was cuz of women... some of them are evil and phuck with your head. Took me two times to figure that out :( :mumble:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Biggs,

the answers everyone here have given you are correct... each and every one of them... I think it comes down to personal bonding with the therapist. one that may be good for someone may have (as was stated) an annoying mannerism that may turn you off... I have seen a few, and will honestly say that I will probably never see one again...

VERY VERY VERY bad experience with the last therapist...

PM if you need to talk or something...

I will tell you that sometimes close friends can do a better job of talking you through things, because they know you... and you don't have to go through all the introductory bullsh!t... having said that DONT TRUST just anyone with your deepest stuff... good luck I know how it can be... If you are asking this question you need someone to talk to...

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
when i was younger i went to a shrink who i hated so i started seeing a social worker and she was awesome. I was only 14-15 though and it was nice to have an adult listen to me and have my feeling validated. I think if i needed therapy again and could find someone who i love as much as this woman, then it would be very beneficial.

ps, i don't have the software on my computer to get you a copy of that dvd i was telling you about.

J

JRB

Are you going to break into my home???

Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
That's what they wanna give me
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy
All they wanna give me

I am a teenage schizoid
The one your parents despise
Psycho Therapy
Now I got glowing eyes

I am a teenage schizoid
Pranks and muggings are fun
Psycho Therapy
Gonna kill someone

Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy

I like takin' Tuinal
It keeps me edgy and mean
I am a teenage schizoid
I am a teenage dope fiend

I am a kid in the nuthouse
I am a kid in the psycho zone
Psycho Therapy
I'm gonna burglarize your home

Psycho Therapy
Psycho Therapy

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
jacksonpt said:
why do you say that? Isn't that what most people have the most problem with?
well after spending quite some time with a friend talking about personal issues... and working through some stuff... things were going OK... for some reason months later that friend up and flaked out... he hasn't told anyone my problems (that I know of), but it is always a concern of mine... the only reason I think he hasn't said anything is I have tons of SH!t on him!!! Sometimes with friends like that you don't need enemies!!!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
who's evil... women or shrinks?
Woman = Time * Money

We all know that time is money...

time = money
woman = money * money

woman = (money)^2

We also know that money is the root of all evil,
correct?

money = sqrt(evil)

woman = [sqrt(evil)]^2

Hence,

woman = evil

WOMEN ARE EVIL!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Maybe someone can help me understand, and I dont want to sound like a jerk, but what exactly is the point of going to a therapist? Is it to tell you what your problem is, cause I dont think Ive ever had a problem that I couldnt identify myself. Is it to tell you how to fix your problems? Cause I think that stuff is pretty common sense, and no one knows what you need more than you, so what input could they have that they can charge you for? I can see that they could diagnose you with some chemical imbalance and put you on whatever pills, but wow, that's something Id never want...to hide my true emotions with chemicals..
Ive taken psychology at uni, but I dunno, I still guess I dont see how its worth it.
I realize Im kind of callus, and tend to solve my problems by calling myself a little b!tch and sucking it up. Is that what therapists help you to do?

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
BurlyShirley said:
Maybe someone can help me understand, and I dont want to sound like a jerk, but what exactly is the point of going to a therapist? Is it to tell you what your problem is, cause I dont think Ive ever had a problem that I couldnt identify myself. Is it to tell you how to fix your problems? Cause I think that stuff is pretty common sense, and no one knows what you need more than you, so what input could they have that they can charge you for? I can see that they could diagnose you with some chemical imbalance and put you on whatever pills, but wow, that's something Id never want...to hide my true emotions with chemicals..
Ive taken psychology at uni, but I dunno, I still guess I dont see how its worth it.
I realize Im kind of callus, and tend to solve my problems by calling myself a little b!tch and sucking it up. Is that what therapists help you to do?

for once you dont sound like a jerk. :hot:

but i think these are very valid questions. i wont go into my personal situation right now but i think sometimes it helps to have someone detached from a persons social network and looking from the outside in. Then again i dont know cause i have never been to anyone other than an adult ADHD counselor. i liked him because he made an oath to himself that prescribing drugs was not the answer so that was cool.

i dont want pills i want therapy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My insurance covered it. I found it useful. But like any medical issue, the provider has a lot to do with it.

My old girlfrind thought I had issues, so she recomended I see someone about it. After only a few visits, we found the issues were her. I got rid of her, problem solved. :D

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
BS: the point of therapy as i understand it is not for them to fix how you think. like biggins said, it's to have a balanced outsider reflect your problems back to you and, with any luck, cause you to think about them in a different way.

sometimes it's just not possible for people to "bootstrap" themselves out of whatever hole they're in, and this may be for organic or non-organic (as in meds/no meds) causes...

J

JRB

I'll help Ben. I am really smart, even though I don't know sh*t about people.

How's sis, btw???

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
loco said:
I'll help Ben. I am really smart, even though I don't know sh*t about people.

How's sis, btw???
she is good. just bought a new house. brand new construction and got a new job in the private sector so she is pretty stoked.

J

JRB

biggins said:
she is good. just bought a new house. brand new construction and got a new job in the private sector so she is pretty stoked.
Cool - tell her we said hi.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Toshi said:
BS: the point of therapy as i understand it is not for them to fix how you think. like biggins said, it's to have a balanced outsider reflect your problems back to you and, with any luck, cause you to think about them in a different way.
yes,that's a good way of putting it. Especially sometimes you can't see outside of where you are at, and trained professional insight can point you in the right direction.

Toshi said:
sometimes it's just not possible for people to "bootstrap" themselves out of whatever hole they're in, and this may be for organic or non-organic (as in meds/no meds) causes...
exactly. You wouldn't get down on someone for seeking treatment for diabetes or a cardiac issue, why do people get so weird about getting treatment for mental health.

gg