Quantcast

Anyone running $178 chinese carbon rims for DH yet? light-bicycle.com

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
I just got the carbon DH rims but spokes won't get here for a couple days* so these won't get built till after National Champs. The guys at the shop saw the non-drilled rim bed and started taking bets on how many beers and grams of herb I'll go through during the lacing. 12 and 2.5 is the current over-under.
That sounds about right. :) Please make a time lapse video of this.

Do you pre-load all your spokes (porcupine method) when you build?

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
$60 less per rim means your wheelset was probably about 5/6 the price of his carbon wheels. Yes, 5/6 is a fraction but that's not how the term is commonly used.
My rims and spokes were just as expensive as 2 LB carbon rims :)

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
for all you 26" traitors who like it wide.

650b x 40mm
Wheel Size: 650b
Weight: 440 grams +/-10
BSD: 584mm
Outer width: 40mm
Inner width: 34mm

Depth: 32mm (internal nipple compatible)
Channel depth: 10.5mm
ERD: 542mm
Material: UD carbon-fiber
Air valve hole: Presta (44mm recommended)
Spoke holes: 32 (email for custom order)
Max spoke tension: 150KgF
Recommended max spoke tension: 110 to 135KgF
Rider weight limit: 250 lbs / 115kg
Max tire pressure: 65 psi
Recommended tire pressure: 10% +/- 1% rider weight
Tire pressure to seat beads: 35 to 40 psi
Tubeless: 12mm sealing tape (Stan's yellow recommended)

29'r x 35mm
Wheel Size: 29'r
Weight: 440 grams +/-10
BSD: 584mm
Outer width: 35mm
Inner width: 29mm

Depth: 32mm (internal nipple compatible)
Channel depth: 10mm
ERD: 580mm
Material: UD carbon-fiber
Air valve hole: Presta (44mm recommended)
Spoke holes: 32 (email for custom order)
Max spoke tension: 150KgF
Recommended max spoke tension: 105 to 130KgF
Rider weight limit: 250 lbs / 115kg
Max tire pressure: 65 psi
Recommended tire pressure: 10% +/- 1% rider weight
Tire pressure to seat beads: 35 to 40 psi
Tubeless: 12mm sealing tape (Stan's yellow recommended)

Limited sale price : $279

http://forums.mtbr.com/650b-27-5/650b-x-40mm-carbon-fiber-derby-rims-grand-opening-871009.html

http://www.derbyrims.com/home.html

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've now seen these rims crack under a small but hard-riding girl DH'er.

Her rear wheel developed cracks at the eyelets and into the sidewall before failing, and her front started to develop the same signs before she cut her risks and had it replaced.

Light and cheap is great and all, but I'll hold off on these for a while.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I bought the dh-version (420-430 g each), mine had similar problems, delamination and "cracking" after 2,5 days of riding. No crashes, no flats, no heavy landings etc. Built by a good bike shop that I've had built another wheel before without any problem.

Tried to have it warrantied, but they first asked for a serial number and said it was crash damage so they doubt they would replace them, there are no serial number on either of the rim, and after that I haven't got a response. I still have one unused rim that I haven't built up yet, I hope it will be better but doubt it.

These were bought in june but, they weren't the new process, I'm quite disappointed, because if I knew they would change process I would have waited. I think it's quite bad customer service, since they knew there were problems with the process and now they won't replace them.

I will not buy any more products from them unless they sort out their after sales service. Imo it's not acceptable that it would only hold 2,5 days without any crashes, flats whatsoever.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I'll be sticking to alu until carbon is good for rims. Right now it could work out a really expensive experiment!

Last edited:

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
I think its a matter of :
luck
rider weight
rider riding skills
and bike. (suspension type/leverage ratio.....more..)

on my DHR they are still going strong.

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
I think its a matter of :
luck
rider weight
rider riding skills
and bike. (suspension type/leverage ratio.....more..)

on my DHR they are still going strong.
I'm only 160 lbs so I'm not so heavy. However what annoys me is the after-sales service, it's not they delaminated and started to crack after 2,5 days. You can always have an error in the process or bad quality, but if you won't deal with it in a good way you won't get satisfied or returning customers.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
fwiw I got the 'new process' all mtn LB rims in May for my Bronson build. I specified heavier on the rear--came out at 400 g vs 377 g for front. Built up very easily, working well tubeless, but these get less abuse than my DH wheels obviously.

A customer at my lbs had a LB rim fail about a month after buying them...warranty worked out but shipping charge was not cheap.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
When going factory direct from asia it's unrealistic to expect great customer service or warranty support.
These suppliers aren't geared to deal with the end consumer, despite their efforts to service that market.
The service and warranty response you're expecting is built into the pricing of typical brands/products but you're giving that up in the quest for bargain pricing.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
wow, super sh!tty to hear.. thats not cool.
warranty worked out but shipping charge was not cheap.
this is what i hate about companies with bad warranties, i try to avoid places like that.. they should have their stuff together enough and pay for your return shipping to them via a pre-made label that you print out, or they throw in the box when they send you your order. ive done that before with car parts that didnt work outta the box, very easy, and its how a warranty should be conducted!

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
When going factory direct from asia it's unrealistic to expect great customer service or warranty support.
These suppliers aren't geared to deal with the end consumer, despite their efforts to service that market.
The service and warranty response you're expecting is built into the pricing of typical brands/products but you're giving that up in the quest for bargain pricing.
good point.. you get what you pay for.. but then again, after reading about some of these issues, it sounds like your SOL if anything goes wrong.

still not cool, id steer away until they can prove they have a goood track record.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
I just got the carbon DH rims but spokes won't get here for a couple days so these won't get built till after National Champs.
Digging up this thread as I'm looking for new trail bike rims... I had lots of luck with the last set of normal 30mm wide LB rims. How have your DH ones been?

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Digging up this thread as I'm looking for new trail bike rims... I had lots of luck with the last set of normal 30mm wide LB rims. How have your DH ones been?
Don't be a girl Nug, just go on and get the Mavic Enduro wheels for the Bronson.
The Carboner rims won't keep that enormous fat head of yours level with the ground.

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Don't be a girl Nug, just go on and get the Mavic Enduro wheels for the Bronson.
The Carboner rims won't keep that enormous fat head of yours level with the ground.
Nah, Mavic wheels have proprietary spokes, the rims are skinny and they're expensive for what you get.

Besides, carbonz is faster in the car park.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
They've been faultless. I got the 430g version and used them for a month and a half of DH. I'm happy with the LB AM 380g rims on my enduro bike but I'd love to replace them with the DH rim in 370g build.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Whoa, really, a cheap knock-off that steals from the hard work of others doesn't actually perform and comes with zero customer service? Now I've seen it all! :rolleyes:

Mr Nug

Monkey
Aug 26, 2007
UK
Whoa, really, a cheap knock-off that steals from the hard work of others doesn't actually perform and comes with zero customer service? Now I've seen it all! :rolleyes:
Come on, I know you're a staunch supporter of Enve but if people want to buy cheap and get lower standard goods, then that's their prerogative! Besides competition is healthy ;)

They've been faultless. I got the 430g version and used them for a month and a half of DH. I'm happy with the LB AM 380g rims on my enduro bike but I'd love to replace them with the DH rim in 370g build.
Good to hear! They're in the process of designing some new 650b rims. They were planning to use the 33mm 26 design but then Derby Rims have been a success and now they're thinking about doing a 40mm wide one. Personally I think that's a bit OTT...

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Come on, I know you're a staunch supporter of Enve but if people want to buy cheap and get lower standard goods, then that's their prerogative! Besides competition is healthy ;)
Agreed. I just find it amusing how some people think they should be able to hold this kind of product (and the companies that sell them) to the same standards of quality, customer service, etc. That said, most people here seem to have the right attitude and expectations.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've been running a set of the 650b "Stronger" AM rim ~400g all season on my Intense Carbine and have ridden them hard over very rough trails plus a DH day at Burke Mtn VT. I've kicked rocks up into them and hammered rock gardens and they're still true and solid. I wouldn't hesitate to try them for DH, especially the heavier version meant for DH. Set up tubeless real easy with 1" gorilla tape.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been running a set of the 650b "Stronger" AM rim ~400g all season on my Intense Carbine and have ridden them hard over very rough trails plus a DH day at Burke Mtn VT. I've kicked rocks up into them and hammered rock gardens and they're still true and solid. I wouldn't hesitate to try them for DH, especially the heavier version meant for DH. Set up tubeless real easy with 1" gorilla tape.
I think you're using their AM rim (23mm internal width). They used to offer it in a 430g build that some people were trying for DH but now that they have a 27mm DH rim in 380 & 430g builds that's what people are getting.

About the knock-off stuff, yeah I'd rather support an originator but Enve priced themselves out of the picture and they only make narrow rims. When the choice was Enve or aluminum I chose aluminum. This is the only DH width and strength caron rim available. I love that I can afford to have really light wheels on my DH bike with no downsides.

Also, remember it was American bike companies who taught the Chinese how to build with carbon and encouraged them to invest in factories, all along knowing that their culture has no concept of intellectual property. They had to know what would come of that.

Last edited:

lsy2000

Chimp
Oct 27, 2013
China

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
So getting these.
From Zelvys face book page
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Zelvy-Carbon/195995550485750
650Bx35mm Enduro wheels are 1510g
700c 23mmx50mm clinchers are 1475g
26" DH Rims ONLY (we are still choosing what hub to build with) 440g
Optional lightweight RACE DH rim or 26" Enduro rim 370g
650b Enduro Rims 370g
All "laid up" to our specifications, all with titanium reinforcing.
what does this have to do with the light-cycles rim?

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
what does this have to do with the light-cycles rim?
Competition. It's another carbon rim alternative.
Should I have started another carbon rim thread? Seems most people interested in carbon rims would read this thread, and I was happy to share info on a new manufacturer, and see peoples constructive comments.
So much irrelevant jibba jabba on this forum now, I'm surprised if this bothered you.

Last edited:

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
The thread isn't about carbon rims per se but about affordable carbon rims and seeing what they charge for a simple downtube-guard I doubt they will be in the same price-range.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
How do we define affordable? where do we draw the line? I'm really curious about the Superstar carbon rims, but they're 300 pounds (the currency, not the weight). I'd love to hear some feedback, but there is very little of it out there...

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Competition. It's another carbon rim alternative.
Should I have started another carbon rim thread? Seems most people interested in carbon rims would read this thread, and I was happy to share info on a new manufacturer, and see peoples constructive comments.
So much irrelevant jibba jabba on this forum now, I'm surprised if this bothered you.
i would prefer another thread, else we have all the information to all carbon rims in one thread and it gets confusing

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
"Just 400g, XC weight yet stiff enough for knarly enduro "

Knarly Enduro? I'm sold...

How do we define affordable? where do we draw the line? I'm really curious about the Superstar carbon rims, but they're 300 pounds (the currency, not the weight). I'd love to hear some feedback, but there is very little of it out there...

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
i would prefer another thread, else we have all the information to all carbon rims in one thread and it gets confusing
Disagree. For a category that is growing (in this case, potentially DH-worthy carbon rims that are somewhat affordable) it is helpful to have one main thread that lists all the mfgers.

A year from now when everyone is running carbon rims (yeah I'm half joking) and the main brands or mfgers are somewhat established, then yeah it would make sense to have multiple threads. We're not there yet though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I think/hope he was being sarcastic. All the carbonz should be in one thread (unless it's a specific discussion on a specific rim) for concise discussion.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
Disagree. For a category that is growing (in this case, potentially DH-worthy carbon rims that are somewhat affordable) it is helpful to have one main thread that lists all the mfgers.

A year from now when everyone is running carbon rims (yeah I'm half joking) and the main brands or mfgers are somewhat established, then yeah it would make sense to have multiple threads. We're not there yet though.
just look at the marzocchi 380 thread, over 120 posts and ppl are talking the old 888 fork...