Quantcast

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I need a place for a month or two, and instead of being a productive member of society and paying rent, I think it might be a fun experience to squat somewhere.

*invoke all crust punk/hippie insults now*

Anyone have experiences they'd like to share? I've been breaking into abandoned buildings for a long time now, but only to take pictures.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I was homeles for 6 months about 20 years ago. Not by choice though. It was a pretty hard way of life. I learned a lot though. I learned to be very thankful of having a home. The hard part was washing to go to work. I used to use a public pool as my bathroom. I would practically loose my mind on rainy nights as there was no escape from the rain drops or the sound of them. I saved up enough money to get a place twice only to be robbed while I was sleeping, and have to start over again was disheartening. Then I got athletes foot so bad it got infected and I went to a shelter until I got back on my feet. I lived underneath I-93 in Somerville MA. I can't recommend it myself...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've never squatted for any extended periods of time, but I've stayed at squats before when I was younger and would travel to other cities for punk shows.

The best advice I could give you (from talking to squatters along the way) is to NOT look like you're up to something. Be casual. Act like you're supposed to be there. Make improvements. In some states you can legally claim abandoned property if you've occupied it for a certain time frame (years++), made obvious improvements, and the original owner never shows up to reclaim it in the timeframe.

I've read accounts of people squatting in places that they actually made enough improvements that you couldn't tell they were squatting - running water, electricity, and even cable tv. Whether or not I'd believe it, idk. I've never personally witnessed it.

edit: Generally, squatters live in groups. Safety in numbers. If you're gonna do it, try to find a group to join up with (easier said than done, I know). If nothing else at least try to learn from them.

What city would you be in?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I've never squatted for any extended periods of time, but I've stayed at squats before when I was younger and would travel to other cities for punk shows.

The best advice I could give you (from talking to squatters along the way) is to NOT look like you're up to something. Be casual. Act like you're supposed to be there. Make improvements. In some states you can legally claim abandoned property if you've occupied it for a certain time frame (years++), made obvious improvements, and the original owner never shows up to reclaim it in the timeframe.

I've read accounts of people squatting in places that they actually made enough improvements that you couldn't tell they were squatting - running water, electricity, and even cable tv. Whether or not I'd believe it, idk. I've never personally witnessed it.
My boss squatted a lot in NYC when he was younger - he said one squat he lived in for a period of time was a large industrial building on the East River that had multiple levels with different "societies" (why do images of Dante's Inferno come to mind?).

Anyway, in CA you have to occupy the building, make improvements, and pay utils/taxes for 5 years to take possession. I'm not really interested in long-term right now, but I would turn on utilities and change the locks wherever I landed. I'm gunning for a spot with a kitchen and a shower...my current place has neither. Lots of vacation homes in SC...

But yeah, key to abandoned buildings is looking like you're supposed to be there. I've visited demo sites in a hardhat and orange vest to get away with taking pictures in broad daylight while crews were working.

edit: I'd probably be here in Santa Cruz or MAYBE San Francisco. I have a pair of other people interested in squatting with me, but I don't know of any active squats in SCruz. The counterculture here isn't ballsy enough, methinks. ;)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I was homeles for 6 months about 20 years ago. Not by choice though. It was a pretty hard way of life. I learned a lot though. I learned to be very thankful of having a home. The hard part was washing to go to work. I used to use a public pool as my bathroom. I would practically loose my mind on rainy nights as there was no escape from the rain drops or the sound of them. I saved up enough money to get a place twice only to be robbed while I was sleeping, and have to start over again was disheartening. Then I got athletes foot so bad it got infected and I went to a shelter until I got back on my feet. I lived underneath I-93 in Somerville MA. I can't recommend it myself...
Near Home Depot/Lowes?!?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I am guessing the van fell through?
I was offered a nice cheap setup with a roof and walls that is coming to an abrupt end a couple months ahead of schedule, so I'm weighing some options.

Go donate some blood plasma. And hit the Sperm Bank. I've heard that some places let you do it up to once a week at as much as $70 a shot.
Ha, I already work 50-60 hours a week...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My only recommendation would be to bone up the law. If caught I'm guessing there could be a big difference between trespassing an breaking & entering.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Go donate some blood plasma. And hit the Sperm Bank. I've heard that some places let you do it up to once a week at as much as $70 a shot.
Sperm pays over $400 a shot, but the initial process is 6 months to a year.

Physical exam
Background check
Sperm count test
VD tests
Then they freeze your first sample for 6 months and check the survival rate

If everything checks out, then you can donate twice a month. If you are high on the list, you can get as much as $1500 a sample. Well worth the effort if you can get through the screening process.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
Sperm pays over $400 a shot, but the initial process is 6 months to a year.

Physical exam
Background check
Sperm count test
VD tests
Then they freeze your first sample for 6 months and check the survival rate

If everything checks out, then you can donate twice a month. If you are high on the list, you can get as much as $1500 a sample. Well worth the effort if you can get through the screening process.
:D "Ah, Mr. Blue welcome. It's says here you are homeless. Excelent! Your's is the wad we've been waiting for"

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I agree, that doesn't make sense to me...50-60 hours a week, even at minimum wage, should be enough to find a place to live...
I've got enough for a room, but I'm trying to save money for a deposit on an apartment or house with a friend in the fall - that ain't cheap 'round these parts.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I camped, alot. Just find a secluded spot where no one will find you. Take your tent with you daily, and a friend to store your stuff.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've got enough for a room, but I'm trying to save money for a deposit on an apartment or house with a friend in the fall - that ain't cheap 'round these parts.
Different priorities I guess.
I would never consider choosing to be homeless for any amount of time.
I barely scrape by right now, but certain things are top on my list (like running water).

For me, I would do whatever I needed to make sure that I had shelter and food, even working a $hit job or living in an area that's not my first choice.

I hope it works out for you though.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
And I am moving. We're looking at Berkeley Hills, Rockridge, Lafayette/Orinda, Mill Valley, and Sausalito. Big range, but a big range of what you get for the $$.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Squatted no, homeless yes.

If you have even a few friends you can usually get by on couches/etc for a decent period of time. When that fails, camping is generally best. I was hassled the least when camping in the hills behind one of the buildings at Cal Poly. If you're close to a university/JC/etc you have ready access to showers and potentially laundry services.

Out and out squatting is just plain stupid for many reasons.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Blue, just get a $20 coleman tent from walmart and camp out behind churches until they make you leave. Usually they have spigots that they dont mind you using (I know this because whenever I go, or used to go that is, on road rides, I always used churches to refill) and if they try to make you leave, say "would jesus make me leave" ?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
you all have the wrong idea about squatting. the whole idea is that you don't have to live like a homeless person. you have a home, it's just the title is held by someone else (probably a bank at this point). given the frequency of foreclosures and the general underutilization of housing in this country, you could find some pretty nice places to take over about now. as long as nobody sees you actually breaking in the first time, its pretty easy to pass for a renter, even if john q. law comes knocking. just make sure you and your friends have the story straight. you found the place on craigslist, you're renting from some guy named Steve who said he was the owner, and you pay him in cash.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Treads like this remind how good I had it growing up - I left home at 15 but always had a job that paid enough to pay the rent - affordable housing has always been my number 1 priority. Internet access, cell phone, foo foo bike, beer and everything else should come after you find a home.

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
And I am moving. We're looking at Berkeley Hills, Rockridge, Lafayette/Orinda, Mill Valley, and Sausalito. Big range, but a big range of what you get for the $$.
If was me, you know I would say Orinda. My Norcal HS team I coach is in Orinda, and I have a lot of fondness for the place. Mostly, there is no big city BS, but people there are not very snotty, knowing that Oakland is on the other side of the hill. And I have 3 poaches to the Oakland Hills so you never have to step into a car to ride.

I think the biggest thing period is BART. Get on the Orinda BART station, be in the city in 25 minutes. How can you beat that?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
That's where I'm leaning, but with increased commute cost, I want to keep out monthly outlay for housing/commute as flat as possible. Porbably not moving until Sept/Oct though, and that's when my annual review is... so things might change.