Quantcast

Anyone using 9-speed Sram shifter with Shimano 10-speed derailleur?

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Just saw this thread and thought i'd chime in. Those are my pics on pinkbike referred to earlier in the thread. The spacer has been working out great for me for about 6 months now. I didn't figure this stuff out myself. Steevoo on MTBR.com took the time to figure out the ratios and machine himself a pretty sweet spacer.

I tried without the spacer at first and found the pull was off at either end of the cassette depending on cable adjustment. It seemed close but finicky. The spacer got the ratio tuned perfect. No discrepancy in chain/cassette alignment in all 9 gears.

You can see the pics of mine here... http://www.pinkbike.com/u/jwick/album/Shadow-Plus-Mod/

Here's a great pic of Steevoo's original spacer.

Derailleur spacer 003.jpg

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Just saw this thread and thought i'd chime in. Those are my pics on pinkbike referred to earlier in the thread. The spacer has been working out great for me for about 6 months now. I didn't figure this stuff out myself. Steevoo on MTBR.com took the time to figure out the ratios and machine himself a pretty sweet spacer.

I tried without the spacer at first and found the pull was off at either end of the cassette depending on cable adjustment. It seemed close but finicky. The spacer got the ratio tuned perfect. No discrepancy in chain/cassette alignment in all 9 gears.

You can see the pics of mine here... http://www.pinkbike.com/u/jwick/album/Shadow-Plus-Mod/
Thanks for contributing to the thread!
So the right thickness for the spacer is 0.236" which is pretty much 6mm?

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Yup, .236"

I have the same spacer on two different bikes. One runs an XTR shadow plus and the other a Zee, both paired to sram X9 shifters.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
So fired up about these mods. Thanks JWick! You are the shizzle!

This is what fuels the MTB community, real know how and good tips to save money and have new tech on your bike.

Not a 1800$ carbon wheelset review on Vital that received a glowing review even after cracking...

Last edited:

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
agreep. If you were a wise man, you'd start churning those out, painting them black, and selling them at $15 a piece.
Believe me - I've thought about it. If I had my own cnc or mill I'd be filling up a bucket of them right now.

ak pura vida

Chimp
Oct 3, 2012
this is why i love the forums. this is exactly what am am planning to do for the new jedi! thanks for all the info!

pv

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Yesterday I installed the Zee derailleur with X7 shifter. I clamped the cable on the wrong side of the bolt, it should increase the lever length almost the same as the spacer. It seems to work well on the repair stand and short parking lot test, no real riding done yet.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I had some riding with the aforementioned combo and it really works. The shifting was not perfect, but it wasn't perfect with my 9-speed derailleur, either. I think that is caused by my pretty worn ("stretched") chain.

I am really happy with the Zee, and I expect it to work flawlessly if I replace the chain.
The indexing looks to be right (judged by eye) with the cable clamped on the wrong side of the bolt.

yetihenry

Monkey
Aug 9, 2009
Whistler, BC
x7 9 speed shifter bought from my housemate, Zee mech on the way from Chainreaction.

I went singlespeed for the last 2.5months of the bike park, and survived fine, however winter riding in BC would definitely benefit from gears.

I've also emailed a small machine shop specializing in bike parts, if they can knock up these adapters and sell them fairly cheap, I'll pay. Or I'll try and bribe one of the Millwrights at work who has access to a machine shop, but that may end up costing more in beer than its worth.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've also emailed a small machine shop specializing in bike parts, if they can knock up these adapters and sell them fairly cheap, I'll pay.
Got to the hardware store. Get a M5 bolt with 12-15mm of thread. A 1/4" square nut should almost slip over this bolt and will need just a second with a drill bit to smooth its threads out and slip over. These are usually just over 5mm thick so add a thin washer or two till the stack is 6mm. These parts can usually be found in random drawers at any bike shop so it's useful info in case someone breaks their 9spd Sram derailleur and can only find 10spd derailleurs available. Would have helped me at a race last year.

The method of simply putting the cable on the other side of the bolt is even nicer but I'll have to try both and see if it works just as well.

Last edited:

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
After another play, I tried moving the cable to the other side of the bolt - and shifting got worse. I have perfect shifting with the cable in the original spot.

What is apparent is how little cable is pulled between top and bottom, seriously never had a derailleur that is as sensitive to correct chain length. Ended up with having too much chain and winding the b knuckle out so as I have some tension in top gear. Im using a 11 - 26 cassette and a zee dh (rated for 11-28). If I did it again I would probably opt for a slx medium cage or use the derailleur rated for 11-36 - although with the same cage length I'm not sure how much it would help....

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
After another play, I tried moving the cable to the other side of the bolt - and shifting got worse. I have perfect shifting with the cable in the original spot.

What is apparent is how little cable is pulled between top and bottom, seriously never had a derailleur that is as sensitive to correct chain length. Ended up with having too much chain and winding the b knuckle out so as I have some tension in top gear. Im using a 11 - 26 cassette and a zee dh (rated for 11-28). If I did it again I would probably opt for a slx medium cage or use the derailleur rated for 11-36 - although with the same cage length I'm not sure how much it would help....
Either your chain is too long or you have a frame with a fair amount of CS growth and you have it set up to be able to bottom-out in first gear. If that's the case ask yourself if that's something you need to accomodate at the expense of a floppier chain.

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008

This sensitivity is what prompted me to ditch the washer stack i started using to try the spacer idea out. Just a slight rotation of the washers was enough to eff the situation up. The spacer is square and has a notch filed in it to keep the cable in just the right spot without fighting it. Simple but effective.

BTW- I have the same 11-26 and a zee dh and its working quite smoothly.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
This is awesome. I can now run a clutch derailleur without having to buy a shifter, cassette, and chain as well.

Jwick - the 6mm spacer you had machined, will that 6mm correct the pull ratio on any Shimano 10sp clutch derailleur?

weedkilla

Monkey
Jul 6, 2008
OK, I'm running no spacer - and can easily machine one - haven't seen the need while I get perfect shifting.
Although, I am happy to believe that once a little wear is introduced to the system I may need to.

I'm on a Kona Operator, as to actual chain growth numbers - I dunno. I'd imagine its probably in the middle, certainly there are bikes with both more and less chain growth. But I had no issues with a X0 short cage previously. Yes I like to use all the gears on a cassette, I considered locking out bottom but I was able to get it to work so still have all 9 gears safely and with chain tension.
Its not a massive issue, but I just thought it was worthy of mention - particularly when you can get a slx derailleur in a medium cage. The derailleur cant wrap as far forward as some others I've used, the chain hits the cross piece on the cage before it gets totally flat. It doesn't wrap as far back as some. It has a shorter cage than a short cage SRAM derailleur.

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
This is awesome. I can now run a clutch derailleur without having to buy a shifter, cassette, and chain as well.

Jwick - the 6mm spacer you had machined, will that 6mm correct the pull ratio on any Shimano 10sp clutch derailleur?
Sticking with all the 9spd stuff and still getting to sample the clutch is what got me too.

There is no need to have anything machined. Lelandjt has it covered a few posts ago. The 1/4" thick brass square washer I use just has a shallow groove filed down to achieve the .236" thickness that works so well. I use the same spacer on my xtr shadow plus and zee on different bikes. Shimano pull ratio is consistent within their mountain bike line (ie dynasys). Road bike 10 spd ratio is different.

csermonet

Monkey
Mar 5, 2010
Sticking with all the 9spd stuff and still getting to sample the clutch is what got me too.

There is no need to have anything machined. Lelandjt has it covered a few posts ago. The 1/4" thick brass square washer I use just has a shallow groove filed down to achieve the .236" thickness that works so well. I use the same spacer on my xtr shadow plus and zee on different bikes. Shimano pull ratio is consistent within their mountain bike line (ie dynasys). Road bike 10 spd ratio is different.
I wasn't planning on getting anything machined, just wanted to confirm that 6mm is the magic number. Your setup looks just as clean as the machined one, will definitely do something similar. Soon as I get my Paypal(aka: bike mod piggy bank ;)) money up I am going to grab a Zee dh mech and do this! Can't wait to get a clutch system without breaking the bank. The lockout switch on Shimano's clutch mechs will be an added bonus, making wheel removal moar easy. The Zee does have that feature correct? What has been your biggest benefit from it, no chain slap? That is the main draw for me, wish I hadn't stuck mastic tape all over my chain stays. Gonna be a bitch to clean the adhesive off and will probably never look the same as the rest of the bike! :banghead:

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Shimano's lever just turns the clutch mechanism on and off. When off it just acts like a standard derailleur. SRAMs type 2 actually locks the cage extended for easier wheel removal.

The clutch has reduced the chain slap. It's still there, just way quieter. On my all mountain rig I was able to loose the chain guide and I still have yet to drop a chain. I ride that bike the most and through some pretty choppy east coast rocks. Still amazed the chain stays put.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Any source for a 1/4" thick brass square washer? Not seeing anything similar at McMaster etc. Thanks for the info on the setup...I have a Zee derailleur on the way.

jwick

Chimp
May 19, 2008
Look for square nuts, not washers. Looks like McMaster has various steel and fiberglass available. The ones I am using are brass which makes them easier to file a shallow groove in.

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Look for square nuts, not washers. Looks like McMaster has various steel and fiberglass available. The ones I am using are brass which makes them easier to file a shallow groove in.
Thanks. Fiberglass ones all are significantly thicker so looks like I'll be filing some steel!

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
can i use a 10spd shimano zee RD with a 10spd shifter in a 9spd cassette?

please i need your advice
Nope that won't work, but you can use a 10sp zee, 9sp sram shifter, and a 9sp cassette. So if you've already got the cassette, and zee, you just need a 9sp sram shifter.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Instead of using a spacer to move the cable away from the pivot I run the cable on the other side of the bolt. I Dremelled a slot on that side just like the original slot. I experimented with a few spacer and cable location setups and observed whether the derailleur started moving too little or too far as it went up the cassette (small to big cogs). It's perfect now, staying a consistent distance from the next cog up.

All 3 bikes use this generation Sram shifters.

I've been using these for many years, previously with X9 derailleurs. They have the only shift indicators I've ever seen that are worth having. You can easily see exactly what gear you're in out of the corner of your eye.

The 3x8 XC bike uses a 11-28t cassette with XTR derailleur.
The 2x9 Enduro bike uses 11-34 cassette with XTR derailleur.
The 1x9 DH bike uses a 11-28 cassette with Saint derailleur.

And yeah, the clutch is awesome. I get way less skipping when trying to pedal hard while going fast over bumpy terrain. On the triple I no longer have to worry about dropping the chain. It's noticeably quieter. I love that I didn't have to get new cassettes, chains, and shifters to get the clutch.

Edit: My friend got his new Saint derailleur today but not the shifter yet. I hooked it up to his 9spd shimano shifter and dialed in the cable tension so he could use gears 5,6, and 9. Worked for a day of riding.

Last edited:
Thanks. Fiberglass ones all are significantly thicker so looks like I'll be filing some steel!
used the nut off a gutter bolt and it worked well enough, only catch was the cable was going in at an angle so snapped mid race on me, nothing 10 minutes with a file wouldn't sort out.

since the the bottom roller of the chain guide died and I haven't seen the need to put one back on.

Clutch mechs for the win!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Instead of using a spacer to move the cable away from the pivot I run the cable on the other side of the bolt. I Dremelled a slot on that side just like the original slot. I experimented with a few spacer and cable location setups and observed whether the derailleur started moving too little or too far as it went up the cassette (small to big cogs). It's perfect now, staying a consistent distance from the next cog up.

All 3 bikes use this generation Sram shifters.

I've been using these for many years, previously with X9 derailleurs. They have the only shift indicators I've ever seen that are worth having. You can easily see exactly what gear you're in out of the corner of your eye.

The 3x8 XC bike uses a 11-28t cassette with XTR derailleur.
The 2x9 Enduro bike uses 11-34 cassette with XTR derailleur.
The 1x9 DH bike uses a 11-28 cassette with Saint derailleur.

And yeah, the clutch is awesome. I get way less skipping when trying to pedal hard while going fast over bumpy terrain. On the triple I no longer have to worry about dropping the chain. It's noticeably quieter. I love that I didn't have to get new cassettes, chains, and shifters to get the clutch.

Edit: My friend got his new Saint derailleur today but not the shifter yet. I hooked it up to his 9spd shimano shifter and dialed in the cable tension so he could use gears 5,6, and 9. Worked for a day of riding.

SRAM Attack guts work in those too, I have an X9 2:1 shifter, works fine, keen to open an X0 to see what you acn do with them as I really want extra adjustment.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
FYI, I will have spacers to make Shimano clutch deraileurs work with Sram 9-speed shifters ready to go out by the end of the week, anodized black, complete with stainless hardware. I've tested these with Zee and XTR derailers and shifting is perfect across the range.

I've not looked into the fees I'm likely to get stung for using Paypal or shipping costs, but the hope is to do them for $20 including reasonable shipping costs.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
SRAM Attack guts work in those too, I have an X9 2:1 shifter, works fine, keen to open an X0 to see what you acn do with them as I really want extra adjustment.
The Attack shifter is just like a Shimano 9spd (2:1) and shouldn't work with this setup unless you move the cable way closer to the pivot. The one-day setup we did on my friend's bike with a Shimano shifter resulted in cable pull that was way off and could only be made to work well in 3 gears. My 8spd bike previously had an 8spd Attack shifter and XTR 9spd derailleur. I had to really search to find an 8spd ESP (1:1) shifter for the new setup. It's labeled "Dualdrive".

Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
FYI, I will have spacers to make Shimano clutch deraileurs work with Sram 9-speed shifters ready to go out by the end of the week, anodized black, complete with stainless hardware. I've tested these with Zee and XTR derailers and shifting is perfect across the range.

I've not looked into the fees I'm likely to get stung for using Paypal or shipping costs, but the hope is to do them for $20 including reasonable shipping costs.
Have you found that using a spacer vs a slot on the other side of the bolt results in better cable angle or some other advantage?

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Sick thread!

Got the Pro/E model done, firing up the mini mill and busting some of these out today! Ride Monkey is the *hit!

Somewhere in Japan Shimano derailleur engineers are falling on their swords....

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Have you found that using a spacer vs a slot on the other side of the bolt results in better cable angle or some other advantage?
It's certainly a lot tidier. I ran it with a homemade stack of washers for a while, but found the bolt would gradually loosen and fray the cable as there was nothing stopping it from rotating. The spacer I've machined fits into the derailer and locks in place, so nothing's moving.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
It's certainly a lot tidier. I ran it with a homemade stack of washers for a while, but found the bolt would gradually loosen and fray the cable as there was nothing stopping it from rotating. The spacer I've machined fits into the derailer and locks in place, so nothing's moving.
Agreed that a measured fitted spacer is way better than a stack of washers/nuts/ect. My sloppy washer stack is part of what lead me to try moving the cable farther from the pivot by going to the other side of the bolt with a slot. I have had 1 cable snap right at the slot and you can seebthat it changes angles as the derailleur moves. I thought maybe my setup way flexxing the cable more than normal but a Shimano tech said they have seen a lot of cables snap right at that point with clutch derailleurs so it might not be just my method

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Am I alone in having it shift perfectly across the whole cassette with no mod? X9 shifter with 11-26 and zee dh mech

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Depends what you mean by "perfectly". On 1 of my bikes it worked in the standard cable placement but tension was a little low in the small cogs and high in the large cogs. To keep it from catching or rubbing the next bigger cog* when in 2nd and 3rd I had to ease off the cable tension enough that it looked like it might skip in 7th and 8th.

*Your close ratio cassette will lessen this effect.