Quantcast

Anyone using 9-speed Sram shifter with Shimano 10-speed derailleur?

JimLad

Monkey
Sep 23, 2009
Whistler
Well I have yet to notice any skipping or rubbing in any gear. That includes under drive. Only been using it a few days but so far seems to shift as well as my 9 speed x0 did

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
Am I alone in having it shift perfectly across the whole cassette with no mod? X9 shifter with 11-26 and zee dh mech
Nope you're not alone. No spacer here and no issues. The only thing I did was use the a Park Tools DAG first to make sure my hanger was nice and strait 1st.

AL

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
I hope it's ok to dig this up a little. I broke my second X5 derailleur in < 6 months this weekend. No more cheap SRAM sh*t for me.

To be clear, for this to work I want a 23T-28T m640 Zee derailleur, a 9 speed 11-26T cassette, a rear derailleur adapter and most probably a good 9 speed chain? I plan to use the X5 trigger shifter.

Last edited:

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I hope it's ok to dig this up a little. I broke my second X5 derailleur in < 6 months this weekend. No more cheap SRAM sh*t for me.

To be clear, for this to work I want a 23T-28T m640 Zee derailleur, a 9 speed 11-26T cassette, a rear derailleur adapter and most probably a good 9 speed chain? I plan to use the X5 trigger shifter.
I realise that maybe you want to hear this from someone other than me but, yes, this combination will work fine. :)

ButtersNZ

Monkey
Jun 6, 2013
Thanks big ted. Would there be a difference between Shimano and SRAM cassettes in this instance?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI

That all sounds good. By "derailleur adapter" you mean the spacer that a guy on here is selling, right?

frgeoff

Chimp
Feb 3, 2009
x9 9speed shifter with zee 10 speed clutch rear der works perfect, i have 3 bikes with this setup: SRAM 11-34 cassette and ultegra 12-28 on the dh bike.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So, everyone seems pretty stoked on these, but I've had one guy contact me suggesting the clamp bolt on his XTR shadow+ derailer is a larger diameter than the one I've designed my part to work with. This surprises me, as I test fitted my part to exactly such a derailer & everything bolted up fine, but his pictures definitely support his statements. Does anyone have an XTR shadow+ derailer they can check to see if it uses a clamp bolt larger than M5? Is it possible there's variations between cage lengths or something?

I've offered a full refund, but we're waiting to get to the bottom of this before proceeding.

For anyone else concerned, I've now fitted these parts to Zee, Saint and XT deraileres with no problems whatsoever.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
big ted -- the first adapter worked great on my shadow plus; second adapter bolt was a bit short however and didn't have enough thread engagement on my other shadow plus. no big deal, it's a standard bike bolt size, so I just looked thru my parts boxes & found one that's perfect. Just giving you a heads-up.

The sram x9 shifter / xt shadow plus combo / KMC chain / XT 9 spd cassette combo is working extremely well on both bikes across all gear combos. :thumb:

ziscwg

Chimp
Sep 5, 2013
I'm now looking to do this with Big-Ted adapter.

I want the clutch funtion, but I'm not switching to 10spd anytime soon as the XX0 looks interesting to me. I'm just not willing to jump in yet as my CK hub is an issue.

Dale

Chimp
Sep 25, 2013
Fraser Valley, BC
Hey All. New poster here. I just felt compelled to say, 'thanks' for this awesome thread. I've been watching it for a while. I've got a SC Blur LT2 with X0 9speed and didn't want to change everything over. I bought a Zee wide range derailleur and a RaceFace 30t chainring and lost the front shifter and derailleur. I had intended on installing the spacer but tried without and it is shifting very well. I get all 9 gears quietly and effectively. I did install a new chain and my cassette is also near-new so maybe that makes a difference. Generally mods aren't this easy and don't work this well. Went for a ride yesterday and it was super quiet. Awesome!

XCMark

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
First time poster...

I just started building a 10spd Shimano setup and then found this thread. So far I have an SLX 10spd cassette, 10spd M786+ and 9/10spd FSA Afterburner FC. I recently updated my brothers drivetrain with SRAM, after buying some of my Shimano parts, and I absolutely love how the SRAM shifters feel over the Shimano shifters.

After reading through this entire thread it seems I can't do this mod with a 10spd RD, 10spd cassette and needed 9spd SRAM shifter. I'll need a 9spd cassette in order for this mod to work, is this correct?

Drawing a concept: First off, I've never taken apart a SRAM shifter, just Shimano, so I'm currently ignorant of the insides of a SRAM shifter(though I just bought an X4 setup for my brother). After reading this thread it got me thinking, but I don't know if I'm correct in my thought... The entire rear drive is indexed via the tooth placement/measurement/angle of the ratchet gear inside the shifter housing; couldn't this ratchet in a Shimano--or even SRAM if they use similar ways to pull the cable-- be measured to have the appropriate tooth angle and spacing ratchet gear made to accommodate any pull ratio needed, and than placed in any shifter, so long as the ratchet gear is easy to remove/replace?

Last edited:

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
After reading through this entire thread it seems I can't do this mod with a 10spd RD, 10spd cassette and needed 9spd SRAM shifter. I'll need a 9spd cassette in order for this mod to work, is this correct?
Yes, for the 9 speed mod you obviously need a 9 speed cassette.
What you need to run a clutch derailleur with 9 speeds in a nutshell: any 9 speed cassette, a Shimano 10 speed derailleur and a SRAM 9 speed shifter.

If you have 10 speed cassette, then you need to have a 10 speed derailleur and 10 speed shifter, both from the same brand.
Well, actually there might be a possibility of a SRAM 9 speed derailleur working with Shimano 10 speed shifter on a 10 speed cassette since the pull ratio seems to be quite close on SRAM 9 speeds and Shimano 10 speeds, but why would you want to do that?

XCMark

Chimp
Sep 30, 2013
Yes, for the 9 speed mod you obviously need a 9 speed cassette.
Okay than, I'll buy a 9spd cassette and sell the SLX 10spd cassette as I have the RD-M786+ with no shifter yet. So I could just get the X7 or X9, 9spd shifter because I like the feel of SRAM shifters and already have the RD-M786+. I'm currently running a KMC Z7 chain, X4 7/8spd RD & X3 7spd shifter and a HG50 13-34 cassette. I don''t care so much to go 10spd if I can do this mod, nine is just fine!

Has anyone used the Shimano HG61 9sp cassette with this mod?

Last edited:

Dale

Chimp
Sep 25, 2013
Fraser Valley, BC
Okay than, I'll buy a 9spd cassette and sell the SLX 10spd cassette as I have the RD-M786+ with no shifter yet. So I could just get the X7 or X9, 9spd shifter because I like the feel of SRAM shifters and already have the RD-M786+. I'm currently running a KMC Z7 chain, X4 7/8spd RD & X3 7spd shifter and a HG50 13-34 cassette. I don''t care so much to go 10spd if I can do this mod, nine is just fine!

Has anyone used the Shimano HG61 9sp cassette with this mod?
Yes, and it's working very well. I have RaceFace 30t narrow/wide single ring, no front derailleur, X0 9 speed shifter, zee derailleur, and HG61 (12-36) cassette. Works very well. No chainguide and slap is non-existent. Awesome set up. Haven't dropped a chain yet. I don't have quite as much low end with the 30t ring/12t cog combo but it's enough for my local trails (Vancouver, N. Shore, and Fraser Valley, BC). For a bike park, I would change to a 36t up front.