Quantcast

Appalache Real - 33lb full on DH bike, now thats light!!

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
Project 35lb.
Got a bit of a project under way, wont be ready until the end of the week, but the basic idea is to build a 35lb bike with off the shelf components and without cutting bits off and drilling things.
Currently have the frame, headset, shock, forks, seatpost, stem and wheels all built at a weight of 21lbs.
Spec as follows -
Appalache Real frame with Manitou Swinger 4 Way Air
Rockshox Boxxer Solo Air
Thomson X4 31.8 stem
Thomson Masterpiece 27.2mm x 240mm seatpost
Raceface Deus headset
Raceface Atlas X-type cranks - 170mm
E13 G-Ring - 38t
E13 LG-1 Chain device
Azonic Stealth 31.8 Carbon bar
Mavic 721 32h rims
Marwi TyeDye Titanium spokes
Hope Pro2 hubs
Maxxis Highroller 2.35" 40A tyres
Sram X.O shifter
Sram X.O mech - short cage
Sram hollow pin chain
Sram PG970 cassette - 11/23
Hayes El Camino brakes - 8" front, 7" rear
Selle Italia SLR saddle
Carbon spacers

That was the initial idea, then we weighed it fully built at 32.4lbs without shock, 33lbs with shock (Manitou Swinger 4 Way Air).

http://www.balfa.co.uk/appalache/app2.php3
http://www.balfa.co.uk/appalache/app6.php3
http://www.balfa.co.uk/appalache/app9.php3
http://www.balfa.co.uk/appalache/app10.php3
http://www.balfa.co.uk/appalache/app12.php3

What do you all think - she's damned pretty.
J

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
Its not hugely expensive because it was all off the shelf components.
721's arent expensive, nor are E13 LG-1's etc etc.
I havent got a picture of it on the scales at the moment but can do if it pleases everyone.
The frame weight with a Fox DHX 5.0 Ti is 9.5 lbs, air shock is under 9lbs. Frame weight without shock is 7lb something.
J

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Could go with a marzocchi 66 SL, that'd save another half pound.

Other things;

You don't want the PG970 cassette, super heavy and no benefit. Go XT or XTR, then you're at 260 or 240g, rather than 300+

The hollowpin sram chain is expensive, but no lighter than the shimano XTR/Dura ace chain, so if you want to save some money, go with this.

Of course, some nice light cranks like the shimano XT would probably work and hold up at least for a good while.

BYW, when adding up the weights of the parts you say you are using, it looks like the frame weighs about 4lbs. I think your scale is pretty far off. Or, to put it another way, your frame would have to weigh about half as much as my turner 6pack to make those numbers work. So, that again means it must weigh about 4lbs or so. Something doesn't add up here.

Feb 3, 2005
Whistler
had the opertunity to test an appalache last summer, definetly uber plush but the back end is a wet noodle. But a bike that I would definetly rock given the opertunity again.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
is this Danny Harper's new race bike.......?.......would be ideal bike for someone as light as him.......

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
Do you mean Danny Hart?
No its not, its a show bike thats off to be reviewed next week ahead of the 1st batch of Appalache frames being available in April.
The bike was weighed on digital fishing scales and we weighed it 3 times just to make sure.
My Appalache Real with Steel sprung Fox RC, 888's, Spinergy wheels, Raceface Evolve DH cranks, Comp 22's, MRP, Dangerboy stem, Hayes HFX9's etc comes in at 40.5lbs.
When you start loosing 2lbs off the forks, 2lbs off the shock, 2lbs off the drivetrain its not all that difficult to get down to 33lbs.
J

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
jamie@balfa said:
Do you mean Danny Hart?
No its not, its a show bike thats off to be reviewed next week ahead of the 1st batch of Appalache frames being available in April.
The bike was weighed on digital fishing scales and we weighed it 3 times just to make sure.
My Appalache Real with Steel sprung Fox RC, 888's, Spinergy wheels, Raceface Evolve DH cranks, Comp 22's, MRP, Dangerboy stem, Hayes HFX9's etc comes in at 40.5lbs.
When you start loosing 2lbs off the forks, 2lbs off the shock, 2lbs off the drivetrain its not all that difficult to get down to 33lbs.
J
Yeah, but an 888 is 7.5lbs, you'll save a max of 1.5lbs here, and same with the shock. Some DHXs with the coil spring are just under 2lbs, so again, at most 1.5 lbs with an air shock. In fact, a swinger air 4-way is about 460g(200mm), so you're saving a pound or so at most with the rear shock. The weight savings are not nearly as much as you're claiming, and that bike you showing at the top of the thread is not that much lighter than your build, maybe 3-4lbs at the most.

I'm still having a hard time believing some of the claims.

If all anyone had to do was use those components listed above (and lighter stuff is available like that 66sl and lighter cassettes), everybody would be building 32lb DH race bikes. There's enough lighter frames out, but heck even if it was an 10-11lb frame you're bike would weigh 34lbs max right? I mean, everyone's bike would weigh 32-34lbs right?

jamie@balfa

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
All you have to think is what would be the point in me claiming it weighs less than it does? Afterall it will only make people build theirs and weigh them when they become available and make us look stupid!
There are no corners cut here (no pedals though)
J

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
jamie@balfa said:
All you have to think is what would be the point in me claiming it weighs less than it does? Afterall it will only make people build theirs and weigh them when they become available and make us look stupid!
There are no corners cut here (no pedals though)
J
See my modified post.

If all we had to do was use those components, all DH bikes would weigh 32-34lbs.

Your claims about the fork and shock are highly inflated. A swinger 4-way (200mm length) weighs 460g, by switching from your vanilla you're saving maybe a pound. And the boxxer is about 6lbs even, the 888 about 7.5, so only 1.5lbs difference.

You're claiming 4lbs just with the fork and shock, but it's more like 2.5lbs difference.

Again, I'm not saying you cut corners, I'm not saying it's not a decently light race bike, but the claim of 32lbs is pretty far fetched with that component build, and it means the frame has to weigh about 4lbs if you do the math.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
jamie@balfa said:
J
....people get crazy mad here about lightweight stuff lately......you walked into a real minefield......sorry your post getting caught in the nonsense......

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Holy christ is that thing beautiful...I am flipping out looking at everyone's fresh rides...

Looks like the boxxer is def the favorite this year...

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I call bull****. My Commencal Meta 5, a trailbike at that, weighs in at 32.2 with lighter parts then that. You do realize that pulling the internals out of the Boxxer doesn't still make it an air fork right?

Commencal Meta 5 Frame large
06 Marzocchi Z1 Light ETA
Industry Nine Enduro wheels on 721s
RaceFace Deus Stem, headset, Cranks.
RaceFace Atlas Bars
Raceface Evolve seatpost
Avid Juicy 7 brakes, 8/7 rotors.
XTR Cassette
SRAM 06 X.0 Blackbox deraileur, X.7 8 speed shifters
Tioga Blue Dragon Tires 2.3 / 2.1
Welgo B27 pedals

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
ok well the shock will add more than .6 lbs that is for sure.

also to the other person a boxxer WC "06 weights less than the 66sl any day.

but is light as crap though

heikkihall

Monkey
Dec 14, 2001
Durango, CO
I heard wood had great damping characteristics.

Just kidding. How long do you think that build will last you? That deffinately is a light "DH" bike.

Cannon

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
Looks nice, but please answer the Frameweight Question!!!!!

Try to realize a sub35 project too, at the moment with some heavy parts on, steel sprung DHX,Boxguide, Truvative chainwheel, 650g Shimano pedals on 36.5 lbs wirh my (ANODIZED) Intense Uzzi VPX "m", will reach 35.5 lbs with LG1, TI Spring, Mallet M´s, SLR Saddle (maybe go for the IBeam). If change the shock should get 34.6 out of it, frameweight is 4444g with the 810g DHX 5.0

Rest of the parts is XTR crank-shifter-derailleur,nokon, Formula ORO Puro, Hope hubs in DT Swiss 5.1 Rims, 200g Schwalbe tubes, 2.2 Michelin C16/C24, Boxxer Team with Solo Air, Easton Monkey Light Carbon, Dura ace 12-27 cassette, XT chain, XLC seatpost and Prolite Saddle(at the moment).

So please put your bike on the scale and make a pic.....

Greetz, Cannon

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Its the fact that not all the parts are that light that make it so hard for me to believe. If you dropped some Ti bolts and Tubeless on there it could go sub 30lbs which I dont see being a true weight.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Sir_Crackien said:
ok well the shock will add more than .6 lbs that is for sure.

also to the other person a boxxer WC "06 weights less than the 66sl any day.

but is light as crap though
66SL, 5.6lbs.

boxxer WC, 5.9lbs.

Z1 Light ETA is around 5.3lbs