Quantcast

Apple's (Doomed) Tablet - Old man yells at icloud

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It doesn't suck right this very second, for $100. For a 10" high quality digital photo frame, a movie player and couch web browser, it's worth $100.

Heck, most high quality 10" digital photo frames alone are a minimum of $80, with many ranging well past $100.

Porting any version of Android to it, assuming reasonable performance with the port, would make it straight out awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I was in Best Buy a while back and I think the 7" tablets might be a little too small for daily use (probably perfect for your truck, though). I think 8" might be the sweet spot for portability vs. screen size.

<insert size jokes here>

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was in Best Buy a while back and I think the 7" tablets might be a little too small for daily use (probably perfect for your truck, though). I think 8" might be the sweet spot for portability vs. screen size.

<insert size jokes here>
I was thinking the same thing. My netbook is 8" and would be perfect as a tablet for portability. But it's hard to replace my netbook because of the full keyboard (80% smaller) that also folds up to protect the screen.

It's a pretty cool feature that pre-dates tablets and the added security is tough to give up.

All the standard in-dash monitors are 7" and it's just right.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
It doesn't suck right this very second, for $100. For a 10" high quality digital photo frame, a movie player and couch web browser, it's worth $100.

Heck, most high quality 10" digital photo frames alone are a minimum of $80, with many ranging well past $100.

Porting any version of Android to it, assuming reasonable performance with the port, would make it straight out awesome.
I was, in fact, thinking just that very thing - digital photo frames are actually quite expensive and not very stylish.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
FedEx tracking # says mine will be here Friday. Yeaaaaaaaaah
you got tracking?

jealous!

crossing fingers mine @ work by friday, HP you got 2 more days to ship, bro.

EDIT: I'm with BV, this thing is a great value right now regardless. Android or not, its hard to write off that amount of hardware for that price. I never would have bought a tablet (save for hacking a $120 nook color to android) and this is my entry point into a world I never would have experienced.

not to mention, they overclock to 1.7 dualcore pretty easily. :)

Last edited:

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
EDIT: I'm with BV, this thing is a great value right now regardless. Android or not, its hard to write off that amount of hardware for that price. I never would have bought a tablet (save for hacking a $120 nook color to android) and this is my entry point into a world I never would have experienced.
That was my whole reason for buying one. I was having a conversation with someone the other day about tablets (IPad, etc), and although they looked pretty cool, I said there would be no way i'd throw down $600+ for one. Now if they were $100...which brings us to today.

It's going to be perfect for me, surf the web/watch movies in bed without holding a scalding hot laptop, something smaller/lighter (than a laptop) to chuck in my bag to watch movies on a plane ride, etc. Anything else and i'd want to be using a laptop with a full keyboard anyways, so i'd bring that instead.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
That was my whole reason for buying one. I was having a conversation with someone the other day about tablets (IPad, etc), and although they looked pretty cool, I said there would be no way i'd throw down $600+ for one. Now if they were $100...which brings us to today.

It's going to be perfect for me, surf the web/watch movies in bed without holding a scalding hot laptop, something smaller/lighter (than a laptop) to chuck in my bag to watch movies on a plane ride, etc. Anything else and i'd want to be using a laptop with a full keyboard anyways, so i'd bring that instead.
its a no-brainer buy at that price point. Do I need one? NOPE! Do I want one? YEP! Will having one entertain me in times I would otherwise be bored? YEP!

win-win

even if it doesnt make it here in time for my trip, its an amazing value if you managed to snag one.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Just got a confirmation email that it's NOT available, but I'm in a queue with the company, the company is in a queue with HP, and should things get delivered - they'll process my order. No charges have been made to my CC so far.

I now no longer care.

I'll stick to my iPad, but it wouldn't have sucked to have a spare.

jutny

Monkey
Jan 15, 2009
Montclair, NJ
what world is that...a watered down laptop?
an insta-boot, 2x battery life device 90% as capable as my laptop for the things I generally do on the go.

I can hit wireless tether(ad-hoc, non-paid) on my Incredible2, and turn on a touchpad way faster than my laptop (even with an SSD) can resume and be useful.

For anything over $200-300, I'd be agreeing with you, but at the price point, if you're a techie, you cant argue the value.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
When I see people texting while driving I have to struggle to not run them off the road into the closest solid object. I want to carry around a fog horn, lean out the window and blast it next to the inattentive idiot's head.

I just wish there were a way to safely cause them to drive off the road without endangering the other nearby drivers.
Lighten up Grandpa. It is possible for people to drive and operate a phone at the same time. Roads in the US are so open with mostly ridiculously slow highway speed limits that not checking up on the internet is enough to make me fall into a slumber during a long road trip.

It's just a part of the times. I understand old folks having trouble operating a new device while paying attention to the road, but the younger generation grew up texting and interneting while driving. It's no different than an old fart trying to flip to the other side of their book on tape.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Steve Jobs, the co-founder of Apple, has resigned as CEO from the techonology company. He says, "I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple&#8217;s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come. I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee." His letter to the board is below.
Jobs has been fighting pancreatic cancer since 2004 and announced a medical leave of absence in January. However, he had appeared at the iPad 2 launch in March and the iCloud launch in June.
To the Apple Board of Directors and the Apple Community:
I have always said if there ever came a day when I could no longer meet my duties and expectations as Apple&#8217;s CEO, I would be the first to let you know. Unfortunately, that day has come.
I hereby resign as CEO of Apple. I would like to serve, if the Board sees fit, as Chairman of the Board, director and Apple employee.
As far as my successor goes, I strongly recommend that we execute our succession plan and name Tim Cook as CEO of Apple.
I believe Apple&#8217;s brightest and most innovative days are ahead of it. And I look forward to watching and contributing to its success in a new role.
I have made some of the best friends of my life at Apple, and I thank you all for the many years of being able to work alongside you.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Lighten up Grandpa. It is possible for people to drive and operate a phone at the same time.
I think that's horsesh*t. :p

Not citing studies, or statistics, or peer reviewed journals - just my own experience, but a majority of the people I see driving like douchebags - swerving, traveling at weird speeds, speeding up and slowing down, etc. - are on their phone.

This isn't some magical thing where the current generation figured out how to multitask. MOST people have difficulty multitasking, it doesn't matter what the mechanism they're trying to operate is. A cell phone is a far more complex mechanism than inserting a tape or a CD. Grandpa is having trouble putting a tape in because he's old, and old people are worse at multitasking and require more concentration for each task.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think that's horsesh*t. :p

Not citing studies, or statistics, or peer reviewed journals - just my own experience, but a majority of the people I see driving like douchebags - swerving, traveling at weird speeds, speeding up and slowing down, etc. - are on their phone.

This isn't some magical thing where the current generation figured out how to multitask. MOST people have difficulty multitasking, it doesn't matter what the mechanism they're trying to operate is. A cell phone is a far more complex mechanism than inserting a tape or a CD. Grandpa is having trouble putting a tape in because he's old, and old people are worse at multitasking and require more concentration for each task.
Technically you can do them both at once, just not that well.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Lets just say this is her monthly scheduled gift, with the way this relationship is going.

"I just feel like...I dunno...like you want to go riding or climbing or skiing more than you like hanging out with me"
"Ahh...yeah, well...here! Have a TouchPad!"

:cheers:
Do me a favor. Look at Lauren. Now picture the one in which we do not speak of. Let it sink in.

Think about it.........don't mess this up, son.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Do me a favor. Look at Lauren. Now picture the one in which we do not speak of. Let it sink in.

Think about it.........don't mess this up, son.
Hahaha. Oh I know, not making those mistakes again. Instead of buying her things AND staying inside all day sucking my thumb, I just buy her things and then ramp up the quality time apart.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Hahaha. Oh I know, not making those mistakes again. Instead of buying her things AND staying inside all day sucking my thumb, I just buy her things and then ramp up the quality time apart.
Well done. I don't want to have to fly to CO just to bitchslap some sense into you.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Science had proven, ultimately, that no human actually 'multi-tasks' - it's just a question of how fast the brain can swap back and forth between tasks. Men and women tested the same.

So, when you're concentrating on something not actually driving, you're actually NOT driving.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
And what is so different about sending some text messages, posting on facebook, or browsing some forums from searching for a CD, checking the gps, eating a delicious sandwich, reading a book, applying make-up, or any of other things that people do when they drive?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
And what is so different about sending some text messages, posting on facebook, or browsing some forums from searching for a CD, checking the gps, eating a delicious sandwich, reading a book, applying make-up, or any of other things that people do when they drive?
The difference is that every single time I get in the car, I see assholes texting and not paying attention. I only occasionally see people driving badly while doing something else. They're all just as bad, they just aren't as prevalent.

Also, I'm not sure "bring sandwich to mouth, bite down" is a task that removes concentration from the road. If you have to look around for/at the food, though, it's just as bad.

Pete..

Monkey
Feb 11, 2009
Santa Cruz
I've been using my first gen iPad everyday since I got it. I love it. I can't believe there's talk of a new one coming out soonish. It feels like I got mine yesterday and now it's gonna be two generations old! Haha.

Can't wait for the new iPhone to come out. I've been due for an upgrade for a year and a half now. And have been using a phone that's at least six years old now. Hahahaha. I spent a lot of time on a borrowed iPhone this summer and coming home to my ancient Nokia was kind of a bummer.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Science had proven, ultimately, that no human actually 'multi-tasks' - it's just a question of how fast the brain can swap back and forth between tasks. Men and women tested the same.

So, when you're concentrating on something not actually driving, you're actually NOT driving.
:stupid:

I was reading an interesting story about Americans bitching that Euro cars often lack big ass cup holders. The reason being YOU SHOULDN'T BE DRINKING A BIG ASS SODA WHILE DRIVING.

I have music when I ride the moto, but my focus is on the ride.

<edit> But I will have a better entertainment system in my truck than my house when it's done. So it will have more than enough distractions. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
this fall, the games begin:

Amazon&#8217;s upcoming Android tablet will soon launch for &#8220;hundreds less&#8221; than Apple&#8217;s $499 entry-level iPad 2 tablet, the New York Post reported on Thursday. According to the report, which cites an anonymous source, Amazon will launch its first Android tablet in September or October and aggressive pricing is seen as crucial to Amazon&#8217;s success in the space. BGR exclusively reported back in May that Amazon is working on two tablet devices &#8212; the entry-level dual-core &#8220;Coyote&#8221; and the high-end quad-core &#8220;Hollywood&#8221; &#8212; and at least one of them is expected to be unveiled in the coming weeks. Amazon&#8217;s tablet offerings will reportedly feature the Android operating system, perhaps heavily customized, along with deep integration of several Amazon services such as the Amazon Appstore, the Kindle eBook store, Amazon&#8217;s Cloud Drive service and others.

http://www.bgr.com/2011/08/26/upcoming-amazon-tablet-to-undercut-apples-ipad/