Quantcast

Are you a food snob?

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I don't think I am....but I laugh/scoff at dishes that call for a can cream of anything soup, Corn Flakes, crunched up Dorritos & microwave/instant anything. I also laugh/scoff at overly pretentious dishes/eateries, celebrity chefs, contrived cooking (foams & gels...COME ON!!!) & hype (of anything really).

I know what I like & what I don't like but I will try anything once.

I don't think this makes me a food snob though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm not a total snob but... I will not eat anything that was previously canned. Period.

In th e 70s & 80s my mom put cream of mushroom soup in everything... I will also never eat another casserole.

Ever. :monkey:

Unsolicited life tip: Hot daily monkey sex only lasts until the first child, find a mate that kicks ass in the kitchen as well. :)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No. Fresh tuna is superior & oysters suck mud for a living so I don't eat them ever. :)
Tunafish salad and sandwiches would be pretty expensive and PITA to make...

Poisons are higher concentrated the higher you go up the food chain, so you are better off removing food items from the top:disgust1:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Tunafish salad and sandwiches would be pretty expensive and PITA to make...

Poisons are higher concentrated the higher you go up the food chain, so you are better off removing food items from the top:disgust1:
Well I don't eat tuna sandwiches or salad so making them is never an issue, besides - eating big fish makes men strong. :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
No, I'm not a snob. I think it's important to distinguish snobs from people who are knowledgeable about food and wine. Being a snob is an attitude, a personality trait. It's a problem for some people regardless of how much they know (or think they know). I am somewhat informed and would rather skip a meal than eat total crap, but I've encountered people with far less knowledge than me who are definitely more snobbish.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No, I'm not a snob. I think it's important to distinguish snobs from people who are knowledgeable about food and wine. Being a snob is an attitude, a personality trait. It's a problem for some people regardless of how much they know (or think they know). I am somewhat informed and would rather skip a meal than eat total crap, but I've encountered people with far less knowledge than me who are definitely more snobbish.
It also depends on how hungry you are, mood, and what you've been eating lately. If you been backpacking in the woods for 2-3 weeks even crap like pizza hut tastes really good and the horrible indigestion is worth it :D

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
I'm not a total snob but... I will not eat anything that was previously canned. Period.
that would rule out chicken/beef/veg stock, chiptoles in adobo sauce, cranberry sauce, pretty much any goya product (esp beans)...too many good things to make such a blanket statement.

and i haven't even mentioned this:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
that would rule out chicken/beef/veg stock, chiptoles in adobo sauce, cranberry sauce, pretty much any goya product (esp beans)...too many good things to make such a blanket statement.
Ever have this? I haven't but I thought I would post it just because...

:busted:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'm all about the blanket statement... its pretty easy for me since I seldom cook anything that can't be grilled, broiled or fried in bacon fat.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
My grandparents would made the best meatballs EVER with crushed up cornflakes as an ingredient. And the best tuna noodle casserole calls for cream of mushroom soup.

I evaluate food on 1) taste and 2) healthfulness. There's no reason to discriminate arbitrarily.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
My grandparents would made the best meatballs EVER with crushed up cornflakes as an ingredient. And the best tuna noodle casserole calls for cream of mushroom soup.

I evaluate food on 1) taste and 2) healthfulness. There's no reason to discriminate arbitrarily.

If I am a dinner guest, then all bets are off. I will eat whatever is on the menu & be gracious about it....but if spotted dick is on the menu....all bets are off.

Any casserole with cereal &/or snack food crunched up on top is still going to be called Redneck Casserole though.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I'm no food snob, but I tend not to like crap food. And crap food is almost universally defined as food with way too much salt in it.

Edit: Does anyone else get the urge to massacre kittens when served pasta that has been boiled approximately 40 minutes too long? :dead:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
a bit gay would be accidently bumping hands while walking.

luv is uber
Not if you're in congress because, sometimes, your hand might just pass under a stall and caress the leg of the man next to you. That's not gay it's just something that happens... I heard about it on nightline.

I work with an English ex pat, she says luv all time to anyone, so I guess I should 'ave said sport. :monkey:

Too late to e-retract?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Proud food snobbie here. :) Though I can't yet justify the cost of going fully organic, that time is coming....

We tend to base our food on quality over quantity - we eat very little, so we spend more on tiny portions of really really gooooood stuff. :thumb:

Example: Last night was pizza night. So - homemade dough, with homemade sauce (which contained mostly herbs I grew in my own garden and dried this fall), plus a high quality anchovy paste, organic honey bought on the farm, canned tomato paste (because I'm too lazy to can my own...sorry) - where the ingredients are food and not chemical versions of food), a very good spicy dried italian sausage bought at an italian food store near here, and of course peppers, onions, mushrooms (there is no such thing as an organic mushroom), high quality mozzarella, a good crumbly white cheddar, bit of feta, and bit of raclette.
Pizza was not overly anything except fabulously delish. :) !!

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
BTW - was anyone else watching for news articles on the recent food bill overhaul? I'm semi disappointed, but I guess the US gov't isn't ready to shake up it's shakenbake corn-syrup fed herd just yet...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I love good food, but I also love Hamburger Helper.

So I guess that means I'm not a snob, but I do think canned stock is usually nasty. It's not hard to make a big batch a couple of times a year, and it makes the whole house smell good.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Cooking seems pretty easy to me. Take some ingrediant, add some spices, cook. If it tastes good, it is good. I prefer to use real ingrediants over canned.

However, I have friends that can't cook. I don't know if they just lack confiedence or experience (prolly both). If using recipes that call for a can of this or that gets them into the kitchen, so they gain confidence, I'm all for it.

in the same manner that a friend may want to get into riding bikes. They don't want to spend or don't have the money to spend on a decent bike. If riding a lower end bike gets them into riding, showing them that they can ride and they can have fun, letting them see the difference between a bike from Wal-Mart vs. a Bike Shop, I'm all for it.

I love food.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
Most of my friends call me a foodie. I love good food, but that includes everything from good late night diner food to gourmet food.

The foams and gels do seem to be taking things a little far, but maybe that's because I've never had them.