Quantcast

Aren't handguns totally awesome?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060113...chool_evacuated

By KELLI KENNEDY, Associated Press Writer 32 minutes ago

LONGWOOD, Fla. - A suicidal eighth grader who pulled a handgun in class and forced another child into a closet was shot by a sheriff's SWAT team member Friday when he later threatened deputies, Seminole County officials said.
ADVERTISEMENT

Sheriff Don Eslinger said the 15-year-old boy brought the gun to Milwee Middle School in his backpack. Eslinger said two students saw it and one persuaded the other to report it, causing a scuffle.

The alleged gunman told one of the students to go into a closet, ran from the classroom and "traveled with this firearm throughout the campus," Eslinger said. Deputies eventually isolated him in a restroom, and the school was evacuated.

"At one time he held the gun to his neck. As the deputies attempted to establish dialogue, he raised the firearm and lethal force was used by the sheriff's office," Eslinger said.

The boy was taken to the hospital. His condition was unknown.

"He was suicidal," Eslinger said. "During this standoff, and during the chase, the student said he was going to kill himself or die."

No one else was injured. Officials with the sheriff's office said they had not confirmed whether the gun the boy had was real or a toy.

Classes were canceled for the rest of the day, and frantic parents arrived to pick up their children.

"When I saw the news, I just couldn't believe this was my daughter's school. I came right away," said Anil Santos, whose daughter, Aleister, is in eighth grade.

Sarah Tivy, 12, said some students were frightened, but she appeared calm.

"I just figured that if someone is going to bring a gun to school, then they need to be taken out of school," she said.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
This would have never happened if faggot liberal pansies would allow the rest of the kids in 8th grade to be armed. Imagine if they all had guns, you'd never need to call the police.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Silver said:
This would have never happened if faggot liberal pansies would allow the rest of the kids in 8th grade to be armed. Imagine if they all had guns, you'd never need to call the police.
Wtf was CA thinking by banning assualt rifles? Pvssies...

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Andyman_1970 said:
This poor kid had more problems than just access to a handgun...
Saddly enough, in today's latchkey and "lack of accountability" society, parents are putting more pressure on teachers and schools to raise their children. There's a small problem with that, neither are prepared to or in the position to do so.

Could not having a "real" parent be one of the problems?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If the kid killed a police officer or his hostage, would it have been justifed to shoot him then?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Transcend said:
Clearly. but no handgun in home = no problem (in this case).
Yeah, no problem :rolleyes:

Did someone say it was a pellet gun? Cant you get those at Wal Mart, KMart, 7-11?
Wait...wouldnt a TOY gun have resulted in the same end? A knife? Lets just outlaw metal and plastic too.
And GI Joes.

This thread is retarded.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I have to chime in on this subject. The gun appeared to be a real berrete 9mm, the parents claimed it was a pellet gun. If you were a cop and someone was pointing what appeared to be a berreta at you would you take that chance?

Also it is not entirely the fault of the gun. if the kid had grabbed a kitchen knife, which you all have in your homes and comited suicide it would still be tragic. The problem as I see it is the failure of the parents and shcools to recognize the mental ilness the kid suffered from and the lack of resources to treat mentall illness in our society.

Out here in Ventura County we used to have a big mental institution, but it was shut down many years ago to save a buck (thanks Ragen) so now the streets are flooded with mentaly ill homeless people. That was a little off topic but the point is that this country has some of the worst mental health care systems in the world and these systems could help prevent tragety like this.

Also shcools are "gun free zones" this zoning is obviously very effective.

That was my rant!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I blame the stupid ass liberals who have WUSS-ified the American people on guns to the point of no one can tell the difference between a real 9 mm Baretta and a .177 cal pellet pistol.

:rolleyes:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
N8 said:
I blame the stupid ass liberals who have WUSS-ified the American people on guns to the point of no one can tell the difference between a real 9 mm Baretta and a .177 cal pellet pistol.

:rolleyes:

of course my dear!!

nevermind the the idea that for every american under 5 to be proficient at telling the difference from different distances, variable lightning, etc, etc of variables... it would mean enough time being exposed and handling guns as to (by sheer big numbers) make almost certain the casualties by accident/negligence would be >1.

that&#180;d be very cost effective!!!! :p

there are like what? 280 million americans? say american kids are very smart and they learn to difference, mantain, shoot, and fully rebuild everything from glocks to m16s in, record-shattering, 10 hours.

that be 2800 million man/hours handling guns you&#180;d have to keep casualty-free.... man! that&#180;d make any safety inspector proud..

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I really don't get what this has to do with handguns at all...

MD

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
ALEXIS_DH said:
of course my dear!!

nevermind the the idea that for every american under 5 to be proficient at telling the difference from different distances, variable lightning, etc, etc of variables... it would mean enough time being exposed and handling guns as to (by sheer big numbers) make almost certain the casualties by accident/negligence would be >1.

that´d be very cost effective!!!! :p

there are like what? 280 million americans? say american kids are very smart and they learn to difference, mantain, shoot, and fully rebuild everything from glocks to m16s in, record-shattering, 10 hours.

that be 2800 million man/hours handling guns you´d have to keep casualty-free.... man! that´d make any safety inspector proud..
BTW, shooting is one of the safest orginized sports there is. I shoot 1-3 days a week depending on time and have been doing this for about 8 years not and I have to say there has been 1 serios accedent and that was a police officer shooting himself in the foot. People who shoot as a sport tend to take saftey VERY seriosly, cops on the other had tend to take saftey for granted being that they think jest because they carry a gun all the time they know what they are doing.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
TheMontashu said:
People who shoot as a sport tend to take saftey VERY seriosly,
And what proportion of gun owners are well-trained sportsmen? It's great that safety is enforced at the shooting range... doesn't really change anything outside those walls does it? It may be "safer" than playing soccer, but you can't mug someone with a soccer ball when the game is over.

TheMontashu said:
cops on the other had tend to take saftey for granted being that they think jest because they carry a gun all the time they know what they are doing.
Hmmm, I wonder if maybe some of our law enforcement officers could chime in on that one. What are you basing that statement on?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
TheMontashu said:
cops on the other had tend to take saftey for granted being that they think jest because they carry a gun all the time they know what they are doing.
Where the heck do you come up with this stuff?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
ohio said:
Hmmm, I wonder if maybe some of our law enforcement officers could chime in on that one. What are you basing that statement on?
Have you seen that video of the DEA agent shooting himself in front of a classroom full of kids? It's pretty funny... (not implying that such jackassery is widespread, but he happens to be talking about how only he is well-trained enough to handle the gun when he fires it into his own leg...)

MD

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
MikeD said:
Have you seen that video of the DEA agent shooting himself in front of a classroom full of kids? It's pretty funny... (not implying that such jackassery is widespread, but he happens to be talking about how only he is well-trained enough to handle the gun when he fires it into his own leg...)

MD
Oooh ooooh I wanna see!!

Where where?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Transcend said:
Clearly. but no handgun in home = no problem (in this case).
Because god knows guns are the only weapon around the house an 8th grader would know how to use. Whatever happened to the good ole days? Back when I was in school kids carried butterfly knives and brass knuckles. I say we bring back the classics

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The Amish said:
Because god knows guns are the only weapon around the house an 8th grader would know how to use. Whatever happened to the good ole days? Back when I was in school kids carried butterfly knives and brass knuckles. I say we bring back the classics
Are you implying that guns are to be used by children as a form of protection against other kids that bring knives and such to school?

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
absolutely not! I think kids should just kick the sh%t out of each other the old fashion way. Playin video crack 24/7 has obviously eroded these childrens minds and bodies to the point where physical confrontation is no longer an option. There weak, timid, and scared. Flexing a trigger from a distance is obvioulsy the only courage they can muster. If you can even call it that. I blame it on the game of dodgeball being removed from gym class. Nothin felt better than blastin someone you hated in the bean with a big rubber ball. You could get a lifetime of agression out in a 1/2 an hour

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Silver said:
Thank god we have capable men such as that protecting us from the dangers of weed.

That was funny. Right after he says, "I'm the only one in this room that I know of professional enough to carry this." The timing could not have been better. :D
That dude could rip my head off, gun or no gun...and it really seems like the weapon suffered some sort of mechanical failure. Or else he actually pulled the trigger while releasing the slide, which is just amazing to think he'd do.

In any case, he should have inspected the chamber before closing the slide at all; mechanical failure or no, there was still a round in there that shouldn't have been. The brain is your primary weapons safety device. (Hell, I'd have cleared any demonstration weapon before even bringing it near a school building myself...) He also shouldn't have had the weapon aimed at his leg or any other thing he didn't mind losing (say, a student) at any point.

To get back to the Montashu's point, however...he's kind of right. Law enforcement actually doesn't have a shiny-and-clean record of weapons safety. Stories like this one abound, and will astound you. And when you've got so many people handling so many guns with live ammo so often (lots more than the military does, unless you're in a combat zone), you get lots of accidents regardless. It only takes a few to make a reputation.

Plus, personal weapon accidents don't get the spotlight that the cop-fueled variety get.

Anyhow, as to handguns, I don't see where the original story has anything to do with handgun ownership. Students and police were threatened with deadly force (doesn't matter if it was a water pistol or just plastic model of a gun) and they responded properly by any and every legal standard. End of story, really. It's tragic for everyone involved, but that's all you can say about it.

MD

PS I'm dodging the weed comment so as not to derail the thread into a drug argument.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
MikeD said:
Anyhow, as to handguns, I don't see where the original story has anything to do with handgun ownership. Students and police were threatened with deadly force (doesn't matter if it was a water pistol or just plastic model of a gun) and they responded properly by any and every legal standard. End of story, really. It's tragic for everyone involved, but that's all you can say about it.

MD
What it has to do with handguns is that if the student did not have access to a handgun (or a close replica thereof in a society where guns are so commonplace that it would be likely to be assumed to be real) then we wouldn't have the story at all.

I would expect that should a similar situation arise in the UK that the police would think a little more about whether the gun was real. Plus which, due to the far lower availability of handguns, this would be less likely to occur.

The Metropolitan Police's current penchant for discharging their weapons into unarmed people does perhaps undermine my point a little...:)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
The Amish said:
absolutely not! I think kids should just kick the sh%t out of each other the old fashion way. Playin video crack 24/7 has obviously eroded these childrens minds and bodies to the point where physical confrontation is no longer an option. There weak, timid, and scared. Flexing a trigger from a distance is obvioulsy the only courage they can muster. If you can even call it that. I blame it on the game of dodgeball being removed from gym class. Nothin felt better than blastin someone you hated in the bean with a big rubber ball. You could get a lifetime of agression out in a 1/2 an hour
Even considering the times that I got the snot beat out of me, there is something to be said about the innocence of playground scuffles.

The Amish

Dumber than N8
Feb 22, 2005
Thats what I'm gettin at. I got in plenty of scuffles when I was a kid. Sometimes you won an they taught you the value of bein a man an havin the abiltiy to defend yourself, and there were the times you lost that taught you the importance of not runnin your mouth to much and doin other peoples girlfriends. At the end of the day there was always a valuable lesson at the end of an ass whoopin no matter what end of it you were on. Best part though, you always lived to fight another day