Quantcast

Arkansas Monkeyfest Recap

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Wumpus said:
Good thing she was on top of things, or I would have missed this awesome photo op.:thumb:

So you are blaming this photo on Jen? Yeah, that is totally her style.

"Here, take the camera and use it to embarass your friends."

That is totally her.

J

JRB

But I am not embarassed. Had I flaked out and not showed, then I would be embarassed. I rocked DH all day Saturday. Why would I be ashamed???

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I wanted to come but after two nights of 5 hours of sleep, a boot camp wake up call, and keeping tabs on 100 12-15 year olds for three days all i wanted to do this weekend was drink wine and sit in my sprinkler.

J

JRB

laura said:
I wanted to come but after two nights of 5 hours of sleep, a boot camp wake up call, and keeping tabs on 100 12-15 year olds for three days all i wanted to do this weekend was drink wine and sit in my sprinkler.
Yeah - the 4 minute rain shower yesterday morning wouldn't have constituted a sprinkler. Wumpus's little boy peeing in the street as I drove away, however...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
laura said:
At least you didn't get shanked..... or did you?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Those kids were fantastic. renwed my passion for what I want to do for a living. besides, i let them know off that i was carrying pepper spray and a knife.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
loco said:
But I am not embarassed. Had I flaked out and not showed, then I would be embarassed. I rocked DH all day Saturday. Why would I be ashamed???
Intent and effect are totally different concepts.

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
Hey Fella's It was a good time for about four hours... I talked to Gsnickets today and he is doing better, he found a sling and is resting his sholder. After he got to take a shower with the nurses at the hospital he was feeling good! The road rash took about 30 min. to clean out.
It was good to meet every one and I look forward to riding again with you all. You Colombia boys gotta come out to KC for a ride.

late-RJ

J

JRB

Me late on atthegates' jump.

Me jumping the gun on atthegates hitting a steep chute.

Early as you would imagine.

RM's newly signed on TRON hitting a drop.

Atthegates was too fast for my crappy photog skills and landed too quick.

DNA climbing a hill on what is supposed to not have been our XC run.

Mr Mom aka Wumpus blocking two nice ladies near what appears to be the second sexiest bike in AR this weekend.

J

JRB

Here's a super short vid of the jump that I couldn't seem to capture. Please save as -

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Looks like monkeys came by the ones...

Awesome. I had to work. Sorry. Id've liked to have ridden with you guys.

How bout a Pisgah fest in Fall?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
BurlyShirley said:
How bout a Pisgah fest in Fall?
Pisgah (and Dupont) are awesome, but that's a 16 hour drive for me. I could probably make a mini-vacation out of it, but it may be too far for the KS, OK, TX folks.

There will be a race at Devil's Den Sept. 16 (17 for XC). I plan on hitting that one for sure.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Thats the first pic of Wumpus I've seen!!

Great pics loco and I love the vid!

Thanks again!

You're getting an approval rating from me!

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
loco said:
DNA climbing a hill on what is supposed to not have been our XC run.
Yeah, I would not have chosen to wear the elbow pads, knee/shin pads and race jacket if I had known how much climbing was on that trail.

J

JRB

You seemed to feel well protected though. I guess it's perspective. I never felt unsafe with just gloves and a Gyro E2 on the DH run. I wouldn't hit the huge stuff with pads, so I guess they were ok. I do want some armor. I also will either get a full face likely for the course in Austin. I want a Xen for trails as it is.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
loco said:
You seemed to feel well protected though. I guess it's perspective. I never felt unsafe with just gloves and a Gyro E2 on the DH run. I wouldn't hit the huge stuff with pads, so I guess they were ok. I do want some armor. I also will either get a full face likely for the course in Austin. I want a Xen for trails as it is.
You don't need pads until you crash. :D

Shin pads are a necessity when riding flats with big pins (I have the scars to prove that). I picked up the jacket after taking a handlebar across the chest, but never worried about it before then.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
loco said:
I also will either get a full face likely for the course in Austin. I want a Xen for trails as it is.
DON'T get a zen for where you live!!! I am telling you it is a pretty hot helmet. and we have only hit the 80's! I love the retention system and how the straps come out of the molded foam, but it doesn't have enough vents. Stick with the E2 for your trail helmet. that is my next helmet purchase for warm weather. I will just use the Zen when it is below 75 degrees!

J

JRB

Yeah - I want it mostly for winter. It does get cold here some.

You would have exploded in AR with the number of chainsawed trees. I asked Wumpus why they hated trees there on the way out of the park. Along the river they were cut just to be cut, so far as I could tell.

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
The trees that were down along Hwy 220 (which was a dirt road) were from storms that they had in January or something.

J

JRB

DNA said:
The trees that were down along Hwy 220 (which was a dirt road) were from storms that they had in January or something.
The ones we saw were on the creek as you drive out and were all sawed. I am sure they had a good reason, but to say they hate trees is more funny to me.

*and I got to tug brungeman's chain in a polite way. :thumb:

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
brungeman said:
DON'T get a zen for where you live!!! I am telling you it is a pretty hot helmet. and we have only hit the 80's!
Strange. I used my Xen yesterday, but it was only 95* or so. I'll probably switch to the E2 when it gets near a hundred, though.

J

JRB

BurlyShirley said:
are you sitting on a chicken?
Or perhaps the chicken is in front and I have found the fowl banger from my local trail. :think:

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
brungeman said:
DON'T get a zen for where you live!!! I am telling you it is a pretty hot helmet. and we have only hit the 80's! I love the retention system and how the straps come out of the molded foam, but it doesn't have enough vents. Stick with the E2 for your trail helmet. that is my next helmet purchase for warm weather. I will just use the Zen when it is below 75 degrees!
I ride a black camo Zen in the desert at over 100º and have no complaints.

J

JRB

stinkyboy said:
I ride a black camo Zen in the desert at over 100º and have no complaints.
You weren't complaining yesterday, dingle weasel???

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
I forgot to mention that the quote of the weekend went to Sherpa ...

"You know all of those things that you have heard about Arkansas? They're all true. Every one of them."

There may have been something about "how you can see it at any Wal-Mart too", but I can't quite remember.

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
Cooter Brown said:
dammit, I wish I could have been there, looks like I missed out on a large monkey time

heal quick jesse, RJ, see ya at 'the races'
You missed out man...oh well priorities. it just want the same with a shuttle driver that was sober and not cursing like a sailor. Or two lovveable labs licking your face:) :) :) .

Are the races stilll on?

I feel lame, you have been living like ten min from me for three months and we still havent riden together, sorry about that. I am trying to get over my social anxiety disorder:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DNA: Don't worry I was not let down by the weekend, I had a blast the short time we got to ride. I just wish we could have hung out Sat night and had a few cold one's. Next time.

RJ

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
lankyride said:
You missed out man...oh well priorities. it just want the same with a shuttle driver that was sober and not cursing like a sailor. Or two lovveable labs licking your face:) :) :) .

Are the races stilll on?

I feel lame, you have been living like ten min from me for three months and we still havent riden together, sorry about that. I am trying to get over my social anxiety disorder:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
RJ
that's right, without drunk shuttle drivers and dogs what is this all worth:rofl:

I think the races are still a go, scott said he got pretty wet the other night for the one tomorrow, but we should know something today

you comin out tomorrow?

DNA

The human raccoon
Jan 31, 2003
NH
Cooter Brown said:
that's right, without drunk shuttle drivers and dogs what is this all worth:rofl:

I think the races are still a go, scott said he got pretty wet the other night for the one tomorrow, but we should know something today

you comin out tomorrow?
It weren't the same without you, V, Skribbles and Willy. :(

Heck, meeting y'all was a big part of the reason that Jen came on the trip. Now she probably never will again ... :nonono: :)

lankyride

Chimp
Jan 3, 2005
mid west
[/QUOTE]

you comin out tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I am, I think, I havent heard from Scott to see if I made the invite list.:) What time. I will bring the Cheez-It's.

RJ

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math

you comin out tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

I am, I think, I havent heard from Scott to see if I made the invite list.:) What time. I will bring the Cheez-It's.

RJ[/QUOTE]

5ish I'm down for some queers light