Quantcast

armed while riding?

cannondalejunky

ease dropper
Jun 19, 2005
Arkansas
once you get the trigger thing down on it, the blade pops out pretty damn quick...and you can pretty much open it holding the knife any way

nikwho

Monkey
Jun 16, 2006
Flagstaff, Az
i sometimes carry my XD-40 when i ride, but only when i see those low-flying black heliocopters that dont make any noise!:thumb: But seriously, i VERY seldom carry anything while riding. i have been thinking about bringing my OC along with me. But just seem to never actually take it along.. ill wish i did when i need it!

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Low_b said:
Depending on where I ride I'll take my Glock with me.
Urban riding or in the wilderness?

I find that my Glock 17 with extra 19rd mag and BT Impuls supressor would not fit in my camelbak. What do you find works best for you?

Thrillkil

Monkey
May 25, 2005
Isla Vista, CA
llkoolkeg said:
Does a Keg hit in the woods?

For light-duty days, I prefer a 4" ATS-34 Benchmade Automatic Tanto. If I venture well off the beaten path alone, however, I select either a 16-shot 10mm Glock Model 20 w/ 200gr JHPs or a 6-shot .44mag Ruger Super Redhawk w/300gr JHPs. To this day, I have never had to reach for any of them with malice in mind.
A friend of mine used to carry a 10mm in case a bear menaced him near his home in Alaska. I personally just carry a leatherman knife, and that is more for the tools than anything.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
ride26 said:
.......now I bring my permit and Browning Pro-9........

Key part of the Statement there. I personally like a Model13 S&.357. Jacketted softnos round works wonders if you should run on the bad side of a bear/mtn lion. Also Very good knockdown power against the Methed out crack heads. Permitted of coarse

Apr 25, 2004
NOVA
I second the Kershaws. Pretty nice knives and the "speed-assist" opening makes them extremely quick. I carry a Kershaw Leek for the usual cutting jobs. Quite Handy.

RideSiK

Chimp
Apr 23, 2002
australia
wholly ****!!! what the hell???

i cant believe im even reading this??? are americans that violent you need to carry a knife to go riding???

this is something that has NEVER crossed my mind and NEVER will...

i cant understand why a weapon would ever need to be carried riding...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
*shrugs* they are raised and live in a culture of paranoia, no surprises why the firearms related deaths rate is so high over there. Scared people tend to shoot first in panic....... :nopity:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
RideSiK said:

i cant believe im even reading this??? are americans that violent you need to carry a knife to go riding???

No, we are not so violent that we need to carry knives... we are that PARANOID that we need to carry knives and guns.

Personally I have found that a strict policy of respecting others and other things as you would be respected negates the need for carrying a weapon.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, i am not violent, nor paranoid. Like i said i carry when i am riding in ares that have the high possibility of Bears and Mtn lions and such... But yes i carry something that can knock down a bear without any trouble, fits well underneath the camelpack, very comfy, and Permitted!!!

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
RideSiK said:

I'm surprised you aussies don't carry considering how much my australian friends tell me about "drop bears" and "yowies" :rofl:

ukjason

sexist pig
May 14, 2006
leicester uk
RideSiK said:

How does your law stand on self defense is it the same as ours considering we own australia :blah:

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Whoa, a lot of people are packing when they ride. That's really weird to me, I wouldn't even consider owning a gun or knife like that, much less riding with it.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Bicyclist said:
Whoa, a lot of people are packing when they ride. That's really weird to me, I wouldn't even consider owning a gun or knife like that, much less riding with it.
MTB is inherently a dangerous sport. It is more than likely that the rider causes injury or harm to themselves.

Anyway, the choice to arm oneself while mountain biking may not be very practical. A pocket knife or handgun (assuming one can legally carry it) stuffed in a hydration pack is not very accesible if attacked by a wild animal. A friend of mine accidentally spooked a mother moose and her young while riding a fast singletrack in an open field. I think the only thing that saved him was a well adjusted derailleur and some adrenaline, as the pissed off mother chased him into the woods.

konabiker

Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
Santa Barbara
Bicyclist said:
Fycking serious, dude. People are crazy.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Very few people actually carry guns while riding or not. It is really unnecessary. Most of the gun related shootings are gang on gang crap. Too bad they haven't killed each other off yet. Since they passed a concealed weapon carry law here in Texas violent crime has declined.

I may reconsider and carry a knife as it might actually come in handy for trailside repairs.

amateur

Turbo Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Orange County
Wumpus said:
I may reconsider and carry a knife as it might actually come in handy for trailside repairs.

Pretty much the only reason I have a knife/blade of some sort on me at all times. I'm too worried about the legal repercussions of using a knife to "defend myself". I'd rather get my ass handed to me and own their house :rolleyes:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DaveW said:
*grabs popcorn and sit's down to watch the impeding beat down from partsy and VB* :rofl:

Partsy? What stake would an American have in that beatdown?

(He's probably out at the gun store anyhow... being a violent Yank now and all :p )

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
rooftest said:
Gotta be armed for states you've never been in before? Are you serioious
What the hell is wrong with you people? I suggest learning how to fight.

must be nice to live in a plastic bubble.

hell, i pack for every ride, even in the state i do live in.
(and it ain't no knife.)

bobcat, coyotes, bear, rednecks etc... they're not lookin for a fight. they're lookin to attack.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a small little knife in my pack. The way I figure it is if something happens to me out on the trails (say I am attacked by a coyote :rolleyes: ). I most likely will just book out of there on my bike. If I can't get away then what happens happens. If you have to stop and reach into your pack, grab said weapon of choice, then use it. Well then what happens prolly already happened. However if I needed to carry a weapon I would.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I carry a knife always. Id carry a gun if I felt the need to, but I dont really now. Maybe if I lived near windrock I would.

Sherpa said:
Crazy pussies. One must live a sh!tty life if they can't ride their bikes without their elongated penis.
Dam! Now I know why I svck on a mountain bike.....

If I start carrying my S&W will it make me a better rider?

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=11101&productId=13073

I tend not to ride where I feel the need to be armed.....I get entirely enough excitement out of falling over and crashing into trees.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have a modified light mount on my helmet, holds my uzzi and a handlebar mounted trigger. It looks funny but people that laugh get a spray of lead across their path just as a warning and then there is no more of the laughing from them.

I also carry a shock pump.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
It's never occurred to me that I might need a weapon whilst out riding, but I guess it depends where you are. Has anyone needed a weapon outside of dodgy urban environments?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
It's never occurred to me that I might need a weapon whilst out riding, but I guess it depends where you are. Has anyone needed a weapon outside of dodgy urban environments?
I know this is cliche', but have you ever seen deliverance?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
I know this is cliche', but have you ever seen deliverance?
Oh yeah. A much scarier movies than any of these 'horror flicks'. Have there been any real occurences of such events?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
Oh yeah. A much scarier movies than any of these 'horror flicks'. Have there been any real occurences of such events?
I dont know, but once you get out of metro Nashville and head east to the mountains, people start to look alot like that. Missing teeth, eyes too close together, paddle hands, stuff like that...

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
BurlyShirley said:
I dont know, but once you get out of metro Nashville and head east to the mountains, people start to look alot like that. Missing teeth, eyes too close together, paddle hands, stuff like that...
Maybe you're safe until you hear the banjos...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Wumpus said:
Very few people actually carry guns while riding or not. It is really unnecessary. Most of the gun related shootings are gang on gang crap. Too bad they haven't killed each other off yet. Since they passed a concealed weapon carry law here in Texas violent crime has declined.

Violent crimes have declined everywhere over the past decade.....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
fluff said:
Maybe you're safe until you hear the banjos...
The WORST place I have ever been is Hazard Kentucky and some places a bit east of there even. I would rather be in some ghetto in Brazil then that place after dark. Didnt hear any Banjos, but that is where Loretta Lynn is from.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I met a hispanic guy the other day that had a 24" long machete attached to his bike. I asked him why and he told me through a bunch of broken spanglish sentences and a lot of arm waving that he's been robbed twice in the last couple weeks by a gang of around 10 thugs. He thought it was his best option for defense.

That sort of made me rethink my whole pacifist ideology a little. And probably more importantly where I should and shouldn't ride around alone after dark. Honestly I'd rather just avoid a confrontation, if at all possible, by not placing myself into harms way in the first place.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
BurlyShirley said:
My wife and I floated down the Il river a few weeks ago in Talequah Oklahoma... there was this family of country river folk hanging out near their nasty unpainted shack of a house. They had stools, old nasty rotten dining room chairs and whatnot half submerged in the river... they were all sitting and watching the rafts go by. What I guessed was the old crazy grandpa was standing kneehigh in water mumbing at all the passers by... I dont know what he was saying but he had no teeth and his mumbling was really fast and crazy. One of the old guys in the chairs had a pillow sitting on his head with a chinstrap attached to to keep the sun out of his eyes. They were all wearing overalls and nasty dirty clothes. It was straight out of the movies.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
It's humorous how most of those who disapprove of carrying a weapon cannot just say that they choose not to, but must imply haughtily that those who do are either paranoid, wimpy, crazy, violent or slight of schlong. It must be difficult to not choke on the irony when choosing that particular group of insults, as most of the people I've met who are anti-gun or weapon make up the biggest collective of sensitive, dick-tucking cakeboys ever assembled. Bear in mind I'm not singling anyone out, but making a general observation as the guys I know who own and possess guns & knives are not among the modern majority of men who cannot defend their families- much less themselves- w/o a cell phone with 911 on speeddial.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
CrankyOleBroad said:
If I start carrying my S&W will it make me a better rider?

1) Looks flexy
2) Does it come in rootbeer?
3) (Yes, someone had to...)