Quantcast

Asian hordes invade Tahoe, film at 11

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
there are 2 times of the year that i always leave tahoe...
4th of july and christmas to new years.
i am very glad i am far far away from that mess.
even if there is finally some solid snow.
i'm blacked out anyways and driving to get to any bc is unbearable.

sorry you have to put up w/ that fiasco.
not sure what is worse.... the very confused asians or the aging frat boys.
good luck.
Your season pass has you blacked out for the holidays? That seems like a bad deal, even if you aren't going to take advantage of it.

I think that's the other reason why I don't like ski, the ski slopes spend too much time trying to nickle-and-dime you.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
i'm blacked out... but i wouldn't want to be on the mountain those days anyways.

it's not a bad deal. east coast mountains are a bad deal. 330$ for a winter season pass is a steal.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
You are probably right. My family is just really cheap, so the idea of pedaling to the top for free is better than paying for a lift ticket.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
I used to ski Alpine Meadows many many years ago.
For perspective, day tickets at my current "home mountain" are less than $30 on weekdays, and it's 30 miles from my house. Things really change once you leave California...

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
For perspective, day tickets at my current "home mountain" are less than $30 on weekdays, and it's 30 miles from my house. Things really change once you leave California...
but you've got to drive 30 miles. that's no fun.

vermont season passes are much more expensive than the season passes of the Tahoe resorts. 'cept Squaw. That's bank.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Today was more of the same.
We ran out of rental gear at 11, so they started tracking down the mountain to places to get the goods.
Then we ran out of instructors at 12, so I got bumped from the very lucrative private lesson side to the assembly line, no tips side.
I was not stoked.
Now I am working both of my days off.
Again, not stoked.

SJ: Why don't asians tip?

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Mt Spokane??

Last time I skiied was at this little place on the s. side of Lake Tahoe. Homewood? It was free for military at the time. Cant beat free!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Today was more of the same.
We ran out of rental gear at 11, so they started tracking down the mountain to places to get the goods.
Then we ran out of instructors at 12, so I got bumped from the very lucrative private lesson side to the assembly line, no tips side.
I was not stoked.
Now I am working both of my days off.
Again, not stoked.

Austin_Bike might have more to say about this.

I tip well but I have worked in Service Industry.
My sister is somewhat cheap, like most Asians.

I wonder if if Asians from abroad hate tipping.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Lets ask Sanjuro all our Asian questions.

Do they really have horizontal vaginas?
I think the funniest such question I've ever heard was posed to a Korean friend of mine a few years ago. I no longer remember the context, but he was asked if his stereotypical narrow Asian eyes meant that he had a wider and shorter field of vision than white people. :rofl:

Everyone present was speachless.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Its like they hide behind the language barrier to avoid tipping, which in my opinion is total bull****.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Mt Spokane??

Last time I skiied was at this little place on the s. side of Lake Tahoe. Homewood? It was free for military at the time. Cant beat free!
yep that's right. The terrain ain't big but that's ok for day trips, and more importantly 1/2 day trips so I can still get some work done. And, the price is right: I haven't paid more than $25 for a season pass since 1993. If I want "real" skiing British Columbia is just up the road.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I burned up Mt Spokane from 00 to 03...love it there, you are absolutley right. THE BEST "local" area I have ever skiied. Snow was always great too.
Loved hiking and pedaling there in the summers too...I have left many brain cells in the bar at the base...

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
You pay me ten dollars!
That would be "ten dalla"

Sorry sanjuro, I had to. Anyways you mess me up every time I talk to you. That NY accent of yours just ain't working for me:biggrin::cheers:

Plus you still owe me one dalla, sinced you short changed me on that caliper half. Don't ever short change a Jew:D;)

pirate28

Monkey
Jun 13, 2006
Maryland
I'm not sure about the rest of Asia, but in Japan, tipping is NOT customary.

When I got my "Welcome to Japan" briefing, (military) it was given by a local Japanese guy. He was adamant that tipping was not the custom in Japan, and that they did not want to get it started there. "So, please DON'T tip..." he said.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
We're a dot of blue in a sea of red. We are not texas. People in austin believe it and texans outside of austin will wholeheartedly agree. It's actually the only thing that the entire state agrees on.
What does your license plate say?

Yep, you live in Texas.
You can post daily on RM how you are not a Texan, but you are.
So go on down to your local Longhorns, and grab a tall glass Budweiser and the Ribeye special.
This would be like if Sanjuro taped his eyes wide open and asked people to refer to him as Vanilla face.
Learn to love yourself.:rofl:

Last edited:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
That would be "ten dalla"

Sorry sanjuro, I had to. Anyways you mess me up every time I talk to you. That NY accent of yours just ain't working for me:biggrin::cheers:

Plus you still owe me one dalla, sinced you short changed me on that caliper half. Don't ever short change a Jew:D;)
Don't trust an Asian to pay the full price.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
What does your licence plate say?

Yep, you live in Texas.
You can post daily on RM how you are not a Texan, but you are.
So go on down to your local Longhorns, and grab a tall glass Budweiser and the Ribeye special.
This would be like if Sanjuro taped his eyes wide open and asked people to refer to him as Vanilla face.
Learn to love yourself.:rofl:
I have a much better nickname,

Fongkey-Kong.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Austin_Bike might have more to say about this.

I tip well but I have worked in Service Industry.
My sister is somewhat cheap, like most Asians.

I wonder if if Asians from abroad hate tipping.
It's not asians. Its that in many countries the concept of tipping is unheard of or very uncommon. In most countries in asia you don't tip in restaurants, bars, taxis or hotels. I have had people in hotels refuse tips when I offer them.

Most places in europe simply "round up" and leave the change. Your bill was £8.20, you leave the extra £1.80 from the bill when you leave. If you left a REALLY good tip in many places it would be 10%.

I laugh my ass off when I watch americans dumping their wallets out to tip in places sometimes.

Here they pay help like crap, so you have to live on the tips. In many other countries, service jobs are a career and they are well paid. They don't expect tips.

It's not the people, its the culture.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Well, its pretty simple as far as I am concerned after today.

I tell people what we make during the lesson. If they want more, they need to make it inherently obvious they are going to tip me.

Point in fact from today. I had two people blow out their bindings during a lesson, one who made a point of tipping yesterday, and one who just expected me to be a roving parts store.

Guess who walked home after giving me a ****ty attitude in a language I didn't understand.

You want more from me? You pay for it. Sorry if that's not your "culture" but I also didn't ask you to come to my mountain.

I told my boss from here on in on these "group" (SJ, that is code for Asian) weekends I am only working private lessons. I didn't leave room for discussion on this subject.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
The next time I go to china, tag along with me. You'll get a completely different perspective, and maybe some humility.

Instead you should be telling your boss that the resort needs to do a better job of publicizing that you expect tips. If someone sees "Lessons: $75" then they should have an expectation that that is what they should pay.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
If you expect your instructor from their own kick to supply parts because you were unable to inspect your board, and you want them to do this gratis, you're high on crack.

If you anticipate that I should be doing things that could cause injury to myself, such as picking your out of shape or uncoordinated ass up off of the ground, and you want me to take the risk for the pittance the resort shells out, you're living in your own world.

If you run over my board because you're unable to control yourself, its polite to kick down a little something for me not cracking your skull for damaging my property.

If I have to go over time to get your ass down the mountain, and I miss getting into my next two hours of work because you're a whining load of fat and crap, then you need to slip me a $20 because I took the time to get you down.

Tipping isn't just a city in China...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Let's just say that there are many cultures where going "above and beyond" in taking care of guests is considered completely normal. The things you did could have been part and parcel of what an instructor in their country does.

I used to caddy when I was growing up and I saw more than my fair share of americans that didn't understand how to tip.

Your best bet is to let it slide. Building up hate isn't going to help you get more tips, it will probably work against you in the long run.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Thankfully I have my own clients, and they understand how to tip.
Most of them have me booked for the next two weeks straight, and after that I am returning to working a real job and just riding on the weekends, working when my own clients call me and ask me to come in.