Quantcast

Ask your off season training questions here

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Hello all, hope your seasons went well. Since it is time to think about some off season training strategies I thought I'd start this thread so anyone who had a question could ask it here and I will do my best to answer it for you (of course others are encouraged to contribute their thoughts as well).

In the meantime, make sure that you check out these articles on some strength training for mountain biking as they will give you a place to get started:

No Gym, No Problem: Real Bodyweight Training for MTB Riders

Combination Lifts: Squeezing More Results Into Less Time

Both of these articles also have video demos of the routines.

Anyways, I'll check back periodically to see if anyone has a question, look forward to seeing what I can do to help some fellow riders get into the best shape of their lives this off season.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
if you dont "feel like it", do it anyway.

if you feel like you had a good work out, do 1/3rd more.

you'll achieve what others wont IF you're willing do to what they aren't.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Are the high weight/higher reps involved with drinking 40s beneficial to slow twitch or fast twitch muscles (over the commonplace 16oz curls)?

Where can I get EPO?

Is pushing back to the top of dirtjumps more beneficial to lower back strength develpment or just helpful in that this is where the beer cooler is?

Do these running shorts make my ass look fat?

SVPPB

Monkey
May 13, 2007
Are the high weight/higher reps involved with drinking 40s beneficial to slow twitch or fast twitch muscles (over the commonplace 16oz curls)?

Where can I get EPO?

Is pushing back to the top of dirtjumps more beneficial to lower back strength develpment or just helpful in that this is where the beer cooler is?

Do these running shorts make my ass look fat?
1. Keg lifts would really be the most beneficial to you in the long run.
2. Don't they sell EPO at the Gold Dust West in Reno?
3. Walk backwards while pushing up the hill, while drinking a beer.
4. Yes, yes they do. Fat ass.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
off season training: beer, blow, hookers. gotta fit 'em in sometime, cuz ya sure as hell can't do all the fun stuff during race season.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I have even heard some use this very confusing term called,
"being burnt out on riding."
Notice how that phrase comes almost exlusively from once dedicated racers?

It's because 'riding' to them means, travel out of town, spend hours and dollars making sure your bike is dialed, stress out the night before, fall on your face in the mud on a course that may not have even been that good, get pissed, come home repeat in two weeks :D

Yeah I'd get burnt out on that sh1t too:rofl:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
stress out the night before
People do that???? I end up going to sleep faster on a race night due to going over the race course in my head over and over. I think I normally make it through 1 and a half runs before falling to sleep. Any other night I have the TV on the Fuel channel trying to put me to sleep. For some reason that doesn't work well.:imstupid:

O'Yah, I did used to throw up the morning of a race. It was kind of funny. I really don't know why? But that year I won most of all the big races I did too.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I would say that an "off-season" is charaterized by when the weather and shorter days do not allow for you to ride as much as you would like. Instead of simply doing nothing or just drinking beer (and believe me, I enjoy a malted beverage as much as the next guy) you do some things that you may not have had time for when the time for riding was more plentiful....things like work on getting stronger, rehabbing injuries, increasing your conditioning level, you know, stuff that will make you a better rider next "season".

I know, being a better rider is not for everyone, but for those who aspire to more this "off-season" training thing seems to help.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I would say that an "off-season" is charaterized by when the weather and shorter days do not allow for you to ride as much as you would like. Instead of simply doing nothing or just drinking beer (and believe me, I enjoy a malted beverage as much as the next guy) you do some things that you may not have had time for when the time for riding was more plentiful....things like work on getting stronger, rehabbing injuries, increasing your conditioning level, you know, stuff that will make you a better rider next "season".

I know, being a better rider is not for everyone, but for those who aspire to more this "off-season" training thing seems to help.
I am in my off-season right now. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago. Could you possibly recommend me some exercises I could do without using my arms for the time being? I have been drinking a lot of beer (no more than usual) but I just cant go riding to work it off right now. Also, I liked the write up for the body weight exercises, but I really don't know what half of those exercises are. Do you have a link that would explain them?

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
After taking some time off from racing because of financial reasons and lifting a lot I would say this. For those who race downhill plyometrics are great, but if your going to get in the gym and lift you'll be looking for power for bike racing. So I'd say really focus on olympics lifts. Although I didn't race this year I still got out and went trail riding a bit and noticed a huge difference in how easily I could control my bike. Squats are obviously great, deadlifts are key (after a winter of training I can now deadlift 415 and that move creates tons of power throughout your body), cleans, hang cleans, jerks, and snatches are all great. If your really looking to build power and not put much size on, I'd look to work in the 3-6 rep range. If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to ask.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I am in my off-season right now. I had shoulder surgery 6 weeks ago. Could you possibly recommend me some exercises I could do without using my arms for the time being? I have been drinking a lot of beer (no more than usual) but I just cant go riding to work it off right now. Also, I liked the write up for the body weight exercises, but I really don't know what half of those exercises are. Do you have a link that would explain them?
I'm sure it's all explained in his $97 workout book......available on his website in those first two links of the original post:)

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I'm sure it's all explained in his $97 workout book......available on his website in those first two links of the original post:)
Haha - no thanks on a book. I am having a hard enough time affording my medical bills from this surgery. I am having to sell my bike in my down time to pay for them. Anyone want a SWD? Please? Someone buy my bike for the love of god.

dirttastesgood

Turbo Monkey
Dec 12, 2006
CT
i can pop my wrist in and out of place i still plan on going dirt jumping on sunday. i think i've actually made it much worse by doing this over and over again (i like loud cracks) it also annoys the fat girl i sit next to in english.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
After taking some time off from racing because of financial reasons and lifting a lot I would say this. For those who race downhill plyometrics are great, but if your going to get in the gym and lift you'll be looking for power for bike racing. So I'd say really focus on olympics lifts. Although I didn't race this year I still got out and went trail riding a bit and noticed a huge difference in how easily I could control my bike. Squats are obviously great, deadlifts are key (after a winter of training I can now deadlift 415 and that move creates tons of power throughout your body), cleans, hang cleans, jerks, and snatches are all great. If your really looking to build power and not put much size on, I'd look to work in the 3-6 rep range. If anyone has any questions for me please feel free to ask.
Yes, snatches are great, very very great.

The 3-6 rep range recommendation seems rather odd to me. I have found in my experience (my being the key word) that 3 to 6 works better for gaining mass as well as the power that comes with it.

The one thing I found most beneficial was upper body strengthening. Really allowed me to muscle the front end through most things as well as put more power into the pedals when necessary, such as climbing or sprinting.

Your workout otherwise seems to be quite good. Building the leg muscles as well as the core will lead to more power with less fatigue/chance of injury.

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
As far as I know from everything I have read low rep range 3-6 is for power while higer rep ranges 8-15 is for size. Hence why bodybuilders train typically in the higher rep range. Bodybuilders are enormous, but there are plenty of guys who are into powerlifting that are 60, 70, 80 pounds lighter and just as strong. I've been training BJJ for a couple years now and we have some guys who have wrestled through highschool and they are incredibly strong for there size. Why? Because in wrestling you are putting for a ton of effort for a small amount of time, picking up a guy and flipping him, etc, basically like doing low rep ranges. The lower the rep range the more your are focusing on top power/strenght. If you take a two guys who deadlift for example. One always trains at 5 reps, the other at 12(and they are the same size) I gaurantee that the one who trains in the lower rep range has a higher max. The guy who trains in a lower rep range is more used to moving a heavier amount of weight, which in doing so you have to be more explosive. Just why powerlifters don't train in a high rep range. They are training for maximum power, they do lots of singles, doubles, and triples.

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
You and I must be reading completely opposite things then since I'm reading that low reps are for size while high reps focus more on tone.

I think it more comes down to what works for the individual though, low reps for me produce more power and size while high reps do induce more burn and tone.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
The bodyweight workout program has a video link at the bottom of it to a video demo of all exercises used on both days. The video link is also on the Videos page of my website.

As for your issues, I would recommend doing a workout that incorporated unilateral upper body exercises for your non-injured shoulder as studies have shown that exercising that side will result in less strength loss in your injured side than if you did nothing for both.

Lower body stuff can unilateral exercises like single leg squats, Bulgarian split squats and step ups. These exercises are pretty tough, even without weight.

As for your potential weight gain from the inactivity, try doing some anaerobic intervals to keep your conditioning up and lose/ maintain your fat levels. Try doing a 60 second sprint as hard as you can on a stationary bike (Schwinn Airdynes are great for these) and then back of for 120 seconds. Don't stop, just keep moving but at a much reduced pace. Repeat this process 3 times, 3 days a week. Every 3-4 weeks add another round of the intervals until you have built up to 6 of them.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
You and I must be reading completely opposite things then since I'm reading that low reps are for size while high reps focus more on tone.

I think it more comes down to what works for the individual though, low reps for me produce more power and size while high reps do induce more burn and tone.
Holy crap, the "low reps for size, high reps for tone" is idiotic (not your fault, there is a lot of idiotic crap floating around in the fitness media that gets taken as gospel).

Without getting into too much science, lower reps elicit more of a nervous system effect while higher reps elicit more of a metabolic effect. Getting a stronger, more efficient nervous system means stronger, better coordinated muscles. Metabolic effects are increased muscle fiber size and glycogen stores (bigger muscles). This is not really debatable as science and real world results tell us this is the case.

However, if you do a lot of low rep sets you can start to get into the metabolic effects that higher rep training does. If you are putting on size from low rep training my guess is your body feels it need the extra muscle in order to add strength, or you do too many sets.

As for the "tone" muscle tone is literally your muscles being semi-contracted because they are used to being worked. The more wieght you move, the more muscle fibers you use to recruit them. This means that more muscle fibers are used during low rep training and therefore more are used to being worked out, leading to better muscle tone. This is why powerlifters (those with weight classes, not the fat super heavyweights) are ripped while aerobics junkies are look pretty flat.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I have some questions...

First, let's assume that we're talking about a decent-skilled weekend warrior type of rider/athlete who wants to either be more competitive next season or start competing for the first time.

Let's also assume that this athlete has incorporated a strength training program similar to your bodyweight training, or an EDT-style workout 3 times per week.

My main questions are:
  • How much, and what type of, cardio (steady-state, intervals, whatever) would you expect to do in conjunction with this program?
  • If one has access to, basically, all needed equipment, how would you prioritize compound lower-body exercises (squats, front squats, hack squats, dead-lifts, etc.) with the unilateral ones like Bulgarian split squats, lunges, pistols, etc.?
  • Would you recommend doing complexes (squat/press, clean/press/squat, etc.) and/or kettlebell swings/snatches over sprints (bike/run) and the like? If so, how should one incorporate them into a strength training program like yours?

Thanks!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Three weeks to train for the biggest bmx race of the year. I need explosive gates. Tips?
Ironicly there is a brief article in BMX Today last month (if you're an NBL member you should have it in the pooper). Miranda or Robinson (some pro)...actually swore by going to the gym the DAY OF a big race and doing a 1 rep max squat? Said he and his bud would snap the gate every round the day they did it.

While this action would certainly shock your muscles into a mode of explosive contraction, it would seem to be counter-intuitive to do so the day OF a race. It might actually tear down valuable muscle fibers and create swelling to hinder your best gate. My guess is that the 1 rep max re-programed his nervous system to feel less of the initial sprint...and the fact that he's naturally a freak on the gate anyway!

Oh...and bikejames...if you notice in DsDhBxracer13's post, I think he just got mixed up. The second half of his post countered his first statement. Probably meant to say the right thing.

His slip-up:
Hence why bodybuilders train typically in the higher rep range

His intent:
The guy who trains in a lower rep range is more used to moving a heavier amount of weight, which in doing so you have to be more explosive. Just why powerlifters don't train in a high rep range. They are training for maximum power, they do lots of singles, doubles, and triples.

Bottom line: 3-6 reps makes Hulk, 12-15 reps makes a Spartan

DsDhBxracer13

Monkey
Feb 18, 2004
Burlington, Vermont
No I wasn't making a slip up. Bodybuilders and powerlifters are completely different. One trains for size and composition and the other for raw power. The bodybuilder typically trains in the 8-15 rep range and the powerlifter trains in the 1-6 rep range. No slip up there. There physiques are completely different, they obviously don't train the same. And as far as someone saying higher reps lead to toning the muscles, this for the most part isn't true. There isn't really to much leading to a conclusive answer that spot toning is legit and works. When I hear someone say toning there muscles I feel like they typically mean makes the muscles look more defined/ripped/etc. There are really two ways to do this, lose fat or maintain the current amount of body fat you have and add muscle.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
No I wasn't making a slip up. Bodybuilders and powerlifters are completely different. One trains for size and composition and the other for raw power. The bodybuilder typically trains in the 8-15 rep range and the powerlifter trains in the 1-6 rep range. No slip up there. There physiques are completely different, they obviously don't train the same. And as far as someone saying higher reps lead to toning the muscles, this for the most part isn't true. There isn't really to much leading to a conclusive answer that spot toning is legit and works. When I hear someone say toning there muscles I feel like they typically mean makes the muscles look more defined/ripped/etc. There are really two ways to do this, lose fat or maintain the current amount of body fat you have and add muscle.

Not going to go into too much detail, but bodybuilders are the worst example for athletes in training for any sport really. There are principles that bodybuilders use to accomplish their physical goals and most all forms of training are called into play, but what they do is all over the board in terms of format.

But saying bodybuilders don't do low reps is so off base. 70-80% of their programs are virtually identical to that of a powerlifter, max effort, low rep. You only catch bodybuilders doing high reps pre-Contest or on muscle groups that are oversized and they want to "maintain" rather than grow.
They use 12-15 reps pre-contest to prevent injury and maintain existing mass, or to segment a specific muscle group into even smaller focus areas.

Also, saying that a bodybuilder who is more defined or ripped than another is simply equated to having a lower bodyfat and water retention and/or total muscle mass than another is FALSE!!!
Low bodyfat and low water do help them look ripped, BUT specific exercises bring about what are known as striations. Yes, it is additional mass, but it is brought about by efforts to invoke muscle fibers not brought into play in simple compound movements.

They switch things up and do dozens of programs (within programs) over a 3-6 month training period for a big show. While trainers for "athletes" would like to credit themselves for most of what we know about muscle and it's infinite abilities, I believe bodybuilders have provided us with the most useful programs for all matter of training. Their results have inspired trainers to develop programs.

Bodybuilding concepts like pyramids, cycles, supersets, periodization, etc...they all carry over in principle to other athletes. That application is the key. James and others like himself use the profound and complex foundation learned by bodybuilders, mixed with the practical applications trainers have implemented and provide sport specific results.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
I have some questions...

First, let's assume that we're talking about a decent-skilled weekend warrior type of rider/athlete who wants to either be more competitive next season or start competing for the first time.

Let's also assume that this athlete has incorporated a strength training program similar to your bodyweight training, or an EDT-style workout 3 times per week.

My main questions are:
  • How much, and what type of, cardio (steady-state, intervals, whatever) would you expect to do in conjunction with this program?
  • If one has access to, basically, all needed equipment, how would you prioritize compound lower-body exercises (squats, front squats, hack squats, dead-lifts, etc.) with the unilateral ones like Bulgarian split squats, lunges, pistols, etc.?
  • Would you recommend doing complexes (squat/press, clean/press/squat, etc.) and/or kettlebell swings/snatches over sprints (bike/run) and the like? If so, how should one incorporate them into a strength training program like yours?

Thanks!
I would expect that you would want to do 3-5 cardio sessions per week. Remember, though, that "cardio" and "aerobic" or not the same thing. As a DH racer I would recommend that you focus more on your anaerobic conditioning as it will be of more benefit to you. There would be 1-2 steady state aerobic sessions for active recovery as part of the cardio training.

Prioritizing compound vs. unilateral exercises has no perfect answer but I would say that if you are just starting out I would prioritize the unilateral stuff for the first year or so of training (as in 70%-30%). Even if you had your unilateral strength built up I would still have it at least 50/50. Riding takes place one leg at a time for the most part and some strength coaches (like Mike Boyle) have their athletes using a heavy dose of unilateral leg work at all times. In addtion to the more functional strength they build there is also the added benefit of less wear and tear on the body since you can only use roughly half the weight you would on a bilateral version while still providing the same load to the limb. I do think that you need bilateral exercises like front squats and deadlifts, but mainly to get your body used to being under heavy loads and the nuerological results that produces.

As for complexes, I obviously like them since I wrote and posted an article on them ;). I like to use them to switch things up for conditioning. You have to look at the work to rest ratio to get an idea of how to incorporate them. I like to try and get a 1:1 ration (1 minute of work to 1 minute of rest) going with the complexes as this mimics a lot of the intervals I like to do with people.

I know there is some vaguness here but if you have some more specific questions based on these answers let me know.

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
Three weeks to train for the biggest bmx race of the year. I need explosive gates. Tips?
Learn do do a proper deadlift and work on getting strong on it. Do 6 sets of 3 reps a couple of times per week. Don't go super heavy as in that you are grinding the weight up from rep #1 but instead try to go go with a weight that allows you to accelerate some on the way up. Follow each deadlift set up immediately with 6 vertical jumps as high as you can, remembering to use jump form similar to your deadlift form.

And next time try starting some training a little sooner :)

bikejames

Chimp
Oct 13, 2006
70-80% of their (bodybuilders) programs are virtually identical to that of a powerlifter, max effort, low rep. You only catch bodybuilders doing high reps pre-Contest or on muscle groups that are oversized and they want to "maintain" rather than grow.

They use 12-15 reps pre-contest to prevent injury and maintain existing mass, or to segment a specific muscle group into even smaller focus areas.

Also, saying that a bodybuilder who is more defined or ripped than another is simply equated to having a lower bodyfat and water retention and/or total muscle mass than another is FALSE!!!
Low bodyfat and low water do help them look ripped, BUT specific exercises bring about what are known as striations. Yes, it is additional mass, but it is brought about by efforts to invoke muscle fibers not brought into play in simple compound movements.

They switch things up and do dozens of programs (within programs) over a 3-6 month training period for a big show. While trainers for "athletes" would like to credit themselves for most of what we know about muscle and it's infinite abilities, I believe bodybuilders have provided us with the most useful programs for all matter of training. Their results have inspired trainers to develop programs.

Bodybuilding concepts like pyramids, cycles, supersets, periodization, etc...they all carry over in principle to other athletes. That application is the key. James and others like himself use the profound and complex foundation learned by bodybuilders, mixed with the practical applications trainers have implemented and provide sport specific results.
Sorry brother but most of this is completely not true. Respectfully I would like to know where you get your info.

Saying that 70-80% of a bodybuilders routine and a powerlifters routine is not true at all. Yes, they may use similar exercises but that is like saying a XC rider and a DH rider train the same because they both ride a bike. Powerlifters focus on the Big 3 lifts, period. They use max effort, dynamic effort and repeated effort lifts in a planned effort to build those lifts up, physique be damned. Bodybuilding routines are nothing like that.

And there are no specific exercises that bring out striations. Again, this is bodybuilding mag lore and not reality. Striations are muscle tone and low bodyfat %, period. Doing things like flyes and holding the peak contraction do not develop striations.

And lastly, there is no way on earth that bodybuilders pioneered training concepts used in sport training. Yes, there are a lot of "fitness coaches" that use bodybuilding inspired stuff (like 90% of the crap out there for mountain bikers) but that is because Joe Weider owned the fitness media for decades and through it convinced everone that bodybuilding tactics were "The Way". Every example you named was in fact pioneered by strength coaches, especially those in the old Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries, and was borrowed by bodybuilders, not the other way around. Just because Joe Weider called those concepts "Weider Principle # whatever" and gave them a fancy name does not mean bodybuilding invented them, only that they can not give credit to the original sources.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Sorry brother but most of this is completely not true. Respectfully I would like to know where you get your info.

Saying that 70-80% of a bodybuilders routine and a powerlifters routine is not true at all. Yes, they may use similar exercises but that is like saying a XC rider and a DH rider train the same because they both ride a bike. Powerlifters focus on the Big 3 lifts, period. They use max effort, dynamic effort and repeated effort lifts in a planned effort to build those lifts up, physique be damned. Bodybuilding routines are nothing like that.

And there are no specific exercises that bring out striations. Again, this is bodybuilding mag lore and not reality. Striations are muscle tone and low bodyfat %, period. Doing things like flyes and holding the peak contraction do not develop striations.

And lastly, there is no way on earth that bodybuilders pioneered training concepts used in sport training. Yes, there are a lot of "fitness coaches" that use bodybuilding inspired stuff (like 90% of the crap out there for mountain bikers) but that is because Joe Weider owned the fitness media for decades and through it convinced everone that bodybuilding tactics were "The Way". Every example you named was in fact pioneered by strength coaches, especially those in the old Soviet Union and Eastern Bloc countries, and was borrowed by bodybuilders, not the other way around. Just because Joe Weider called those concepts "Weider Principle # whatever" and gave them a fancy name does not mean bodybuilding invented them, only that they can not give credit to the original sources.
OK. I'm open minded on this. I'm not so much saying Weider World was where the knowledge came from. But you gotta give his camp credit for bringing a vast majority of training principles to the general public. For the most part, scientific studies went largely unrecognized by the masses if not for his marketing machine. I'm not concerned if he inadvertently took credit for others research.

Let me ask you this though. Bodybuilders #1 priority for the first 5-8 years of training should be dedicated to what type of exercises? Mass builders and foundation right? Power moves and compound exercises are that foundation. All the BIG hulks had to do the key moves from powerlifting to build a base of pure mass. The best way to build mass all over...the big 3 powerlift moves, would you agree?

Since winning bodybuilders are generally geneticly proportionate for
the most part, all those unique isolation movements that make for great 6 page articles to sculpt and shape are mostly for show.

As for striations and separation, I've seen guys pre-contest with transparent skin and the lowest of bodyfat still have a smooth bodypart because they didn't put in the training on bulking up each segment of muscle in a given muscle group like calves. You can have massive amounts of muscle tone, virtually no body fat, but if you don't take the time to add mass to say the outer calf and inner calf muscles..come show time, you just have 1 big knot on the back of the calf in the middle of the leg, instead of 3 distinct chunks of muscle that all stand out from each other. Do you agree in that respect or do you think that type of separation and striation is mostly genetics?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Learn do do a proper deadlift and work on getting strong on it. Do 6 sets of 3 reps a couple of times per week. Don't go super heavy as in that you are grinding the weight up from rep #1 but instead try to go go with a weight that allows you to accelerate some on the way up. Follow each deadlift set up immediately with 6 vertical jumps as high as you can, remembering to use jump form similar to your deadlift form.

And next time try starting some training a little sooner :)
Hey James, what's the purpose of the vertical jumps? The logic behind it I mean. At my gym in the past, I've done plyometric vertical jumps, 5 sets of 5 up stairs, but only on off days for legs. Why do them during? Not doubting you...I like to learn new stuff.