Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
Pretty cool except I am not sure how one spring would be enough?
originally the fork had two springs, both were 45 in/lbs. (medium)
the fork came with an extra 55 in/lbs spring as well (firm)

the newer 32mm boxxers use a single sided spring unit, and you guessed it, the medium weight spring has a rate of 55 in/lbs.

i weigh 180 with gear. it worked out perfectly.

Interesting - something people have to consider when installing the kit in coil fork. 70 psi should be way less than what you would normally ride.

Not Really. I'm running 55-60psi on my 2010 and i weigh 200 w\o gear. The older 32mm WC boxxers ran alot more air than the new ones.
If you are implying the AVY cart makes you run less spring rate (coil or air) i'm just chiming in that it doesn't.
I'm still waiting for my cart btw.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
originally the fork had two springs, both were 45 in/lbs. (medium)
the fork came with an extra 55 in/lbs spring as well (firm)

the newer 32mm boxxers use a single sided spring unit, and you guessed it, the medium weight spring has a rate of 55 in/lbs.

i weigh 180 with gear. it worked out perfectly.
Nice I always thought it was more off than that. The silver stanchions looks great I had that Boxxer too.

Not Really. I'm running 55-60psi on my 2010 and i weigh 200 w\o gear. The older 32mm WC boxxers ran alot more air than the new ones.
If you are implying the AVY cart makes you run less spring rate (coil or air) i'm just chiming in that it doesn't.
Big difference - I did not know the psi had been lowered that much on the new boxxer design. All of it makes sense as I would have been very surprised if the Avy chart would make a big difference in spring rate.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
I was just guna ask if the spring rate had to be lowered with the Avy cartridge but you answered my question.

Im ordering my cartridge next week! Cant wait!

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
How are you running that low of psi in your Boxxer? I weigh 165lbs at most with riding gear and run 65 psi. Compared to the older World Cups, I find the newer 2010 one's to be a lot linear. Too linear for my tastes. Thank god they added the Bottom Out feature on it to make it more progressive.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
A few questions:
1. Anyone know what size my 2006 888 WC is?
2. Does it sound like a good idea for a 240# fat ass who rides like a bulldozer to run air?
3. Any idea how much air I need to run to keep from going OTB? I have a Fox 36 Talas on my Intense SS, and honestly I don't like it as much as my 888.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
A few questions:
1. Anyone know what size my 2006 888 WC is?
2. Does it sound like a good idea for a 240# fat ass who rides like a bulldozer to run air?
3. Any idea how much air I need to run to keep from going OTB? I have a Fox 36 Talas on my Intense SS, and honestly I don't like it as much as my 888.
06 is a 35mm if i remember correctly as far as air and a heavier rider im 235 and hammer the $hit outa stuff... no worries on air works great and the cartridge works amazing. Even if you run low psi so its extremely supple the hydraulic damper will take care of you.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
the 32 mm boxxer ones. I missed out on the offer by just a day
Get it ordered boy!!! LOL He's selling them fast now. (No joke)
He ordered more parts and tubes etc already, some of the parts are common in MX as well so when you say you have a MX tune you literally have a MX tune for real.....The MXr may be sporting your piston that Craig manufacturers.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
ADAPTER KITS ARE IN AND FOR SALE MARZOCCHI 32MM, 35MM BOXXER 32MM, 35MM
Installation instructions are on the site and eady as well as pics mauals etc it is now a fully lined product for Marzocchi stuff and Rockshox...

Direct from Craigs mouth "The 38mm MArzocchi feels absolutley AMAZING, WOW!" Apparently better seals and bushings. I can tell you the boxxer 35mm feels DAY and NIGHT different with the kit so I can only imagine the 888s... But mines lighter and a bit more nimble with a big attitude now so it may not be as buttery as the 888 but its alot more buttery than the other forks out and I wont be changing it any time soon... Im happier than $#!t with it.....

Pic is in this order
marzocchi 38mm 35mm BOXXER 35mm 32mm

Last edited:

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
Is there or will there be a installation manual for the 2010 Boxxer and Marzocchi stuff or can I just go by the old gen boxxer manual for installation. I just dont wana spend an extra 100$ of installation and shipping charges.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
that is some serious p0rn right there. i'm ASSuming that is the 38mm marz with the adjuster recessed to be nearly flush? DOPE.

going to gnar star tomorrow to race, can't wait to get another solid day of shredding on my new butter stick.

dilzy

Monkey
Sep 7, 2008
How much is the mid-valve kit? Can you get Craig to stick it on when you order the cartridge? Is it worth the extra support?

Just about to pull the trigger on one for the 888. Got an Elka coming as well for the rear.

Answered the first two myself - $40 and Yes.

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How much is the mid-valve kit? Can you get Craig to stick it on when you order the cartridge? Is it worth the extra support?

Just about to pull the trigger on one for the 888. Got an Elka coming as well for the rear.

Answered the first two myself - $40 and Yes.
Dont know as far as cost, yes he can stick it in before shipping and Im doing a mid valve on mine....

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
So a 2010 Boxxer Race will be lighter than a 35mm 888, or a 38mm 888? But won't have as good seals or lubrication?
I have some near new Races, but would like to build the ideal fork around the Avy cartridge. But I'm on a budget.
09 888s were crap, but are cheap. With the floating piston removed in the air spring leg, and with the mid stroke damping on the AVY, would this be a good host?
Or just get a 888 2010 Ti?
Or would a 2010 WC Boxxer be much lighter and good enough?
Or upgrade my Race to air spring?
What's new for 2011 with Boxxer and 888 offerings?

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
how? it wouldn't matter if it fit avalanche cartridge? like on RV, RCV or year model?

bushings or stanchions? am i missing something? :D
i have no idea what you are asking.

if you are asking if the bushings and stanchions are better. yes. night and day differences b/w 2008/2009 models and current 2010 models

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
it was that i wanted to know. thanks :thumb:
Yeah bushings are slotted this year on them like I8rice said and seals have always been goos... I think they have slotted replacements for the 09 stuff.
If thats the case get an 09 and with the money you save pop an avy cart in it and be mobbin right off the bat...

Here some luck SOBs 35mm 888 installed and ready to rock...

Last edited:

Tomasis

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Scotland
Yeah bushings are slotted this year on them like I8rice said and seals have always been goos... I think they have slotted replacements for the 09 stuff.
If thats the case get an 09 and with the money you save pop an avy cart in it and be mobbin right off the bat...
sounds like good plan :thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
sounds like good plan :thumb:
In 09 the early runs had bushing slop later it was pretty much non existant. I had an 09 and NO slop I had a 08 that had it fixed rght off the bat as well as my 66 was done before it left marzocchi... I wouldnt sweat it too bad they have good warranty if its an issue.
Id rock a 09 without hesitation, Ive had great luck with Marzocchi. Ronnie and the guys are great. If you have an issue swap out internals and send it in...
Chances are you will be OK though, Id gamble on it this late in the production carry over...

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
selling an 09 888 rc3 wc and 09 roco w/ 2 rides on them for a budy that just shattered his leg... check the for sale threads, but super cheap! happy to send straight to avy!