Quantcast

Avalanche boxxer upgrade kit out! Will fit majority of forks!

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
What fork???

Anyone else who ordered them what fork???

Myself 2010 Boxxer WC
I've been searching for a pre **** run 888(-07)or a new one, but had no luck and will use my 10Boxxer Race for now, and keep an eye out for a cheap 10 888 Ti, or wait for the Kowa kit as I have some new Kashima coated Kowas.
New bike coming(Katipo), with new Avy for the rear, and cart coming for Boxxers, can't wait. Back on Avy, stoked.:thumb:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I've been searching for a pre **** run 888(-07)or a new one, but had no luck and will use my 10Boxxer Race for now, and keep an eye out for a cheap 10 888 Ti, or wait for the Kowa kit as I have some new Kashima coated Kowas.
New bike coming(Katipo), with new Avy for the rear, and cart coming for Boxxers, can't wait. Back on Avy, stoked.:thumb:
RIGHT ON!
Do me a favor and post some pics of the katipo when you get it, I want to see it...
The katipo is being custom done for you isnt it?

Yeah Avy front and rear is pretty damn sick, They match each other perfectly.....:thumb:

BTW with it being in the 2010 race its the same as if ytou had an team with Avy, the guts are replaced. Which puts you on par with my WC, Im air and your coil we now have the same carts so in theory you paid a hell of alot less... :D

Last edited:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yours will be lighter. However, if I'd not done 8 runs on my new Races, I could have slipped an air spring in there. Oh well.
Not much.... No enought to warrant the price difference at this level the cost between a race and a wc is HUGE and now the only difference is a spring. So less than a lb for 700-800 dollars... Yeah Id say you did good... LOL

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
I used my AVA cartridge in my 08 Boxxer with an air spring for the first time 2 weeks ago. Note to everybody: make sure you get the right oil, not just any off the shelf 5wt. My initial reaction was like some others: pretty slow in the parking lot.

However, on the race course it definitely opened up. The main difference I noticed was not that "it felt so awesomely plush" or whatever. The giant braking holes were still rocking me, the roots were attempting to knock my feet off the pedals, etc.

With my stock Boxxer, I lacked high speed compression flow through the rough and I would still bottom out. On repetitive, huge, braking holes, the fork would heave and dive.
With the AVA cartridge, the course felt similar, BUT the timing/rhythm and bottom out was hugely improved. I ran slightly lower pressure, and NEVER bottomed out. Throughout the repetitive, huge, braking holes the fork hit them, but it didn't dive and was able to keep up with the terrain and skip over the tops.

If anybody is interested in a 35mm 888 chassis, I have one in good condition for $100. It has Risse flat crowns, stock 170mm springs, but one of the to bolts of the top crown is just barely starting to strip. I felt it slightly slip, and I backed out right away. It may be repaired by various thread repair, but everything else: lowers, uppers, are ready for new springs and an AVA cartridge.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
However, on the race course it definitely opened up. The main difference I noticed was not that "it felt so awesomely plush" or whatever. The giant braking holes were still rocking me, the roots were attempting to knock my feet off the pedals, etc.

With my stock Boxxer, I lacked high speed compression flow through the rough and I would still bottom out. On repetitive, huge, braking holes, the fork would heave and dive.
With the AVA cartridge, the course felt similar, BUT the timing/rhythm and bottom out was hugely improved. I ran slightly lower pressure, and NEVER bottomed out. Throughout the repetitive, huge, braking holes the fork hit them, but it didn't dive and was able to keep up with the terrain and skip over the tops.
Thats a bit different than the experience i had I railed the trail in Elsinore and theres ALOT of braking bumps in channel berm ruts etc and Ive ridden it both stock as well as the cart and I ripped through without my head and vision going all over the place like it did before.

As far as plush yeah there was a big difference between open bath and the stock internals, it didnt feel dry and springy like the stock internals did.

We have a run here that has a TON of hoof divits from the cows as well as rocks that protrude a bit and it chattered the bike nasty before now its not like Im trying to loosen up my grip and let my knees float as much to try and keep a straight line of sight.

Either way its a huge improvement and everyones going to run a bit different pressure, style etc so theres going to be a bit of diversity...

Did you build this fork from parts???

Im thinking if your feet are trying to pop off you need to adjust the rear shock? Just a thought...

RattPoison

Chimp
May 15, 2008
Seattle, WA
The rear is, ironically, the Woodie.

I got the fork as a Team, and then swapped the spring side for air. After that I swapped the damper for the AVA. So it was a whole fork, initially, but rebuilt each time step by step to SRAM's pdf's.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
The rear is, ironically, the Woodie.

I got the fork as a Team, and then swapped the spring side for air. After that I swapped the damper for the AVA. So it was a whole fork, initially, but rebuilt each time step by step to SRAM's pdf's.
Id lighten the comp and possibly open the rebound up a smidge. If your getting chucked and the feet are rockin its coming from under the saddle not so much the front. I rode my kids hardtail around and my feet were coming off on chatter...

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Note to everybody: make sure you get the right oil, not just any off the shelf 5wt. My initial reaction was like some others: pretty slow in the parking lot.
Speaking of oils. What fork oil do you guys run?

In the manual it clearly says 85/150, and there is a picture of a Spectro bottle that says 85/150 and 5wt.

I went to my local bike/moto shop that I knew carried Spectro oils, hoping I would find the exact same stuff as Craig uses. However, their 85/150 Spectro cartridge oils stated 2.5wt... According to the guy in the shop, Spectro makes two versions of 85/150(!) One that's 2.5wt for Showa's and another that's 5wt for some other make (kowa, kyb... can't remember. They only stocked Showa stuff.) Is this true?!

I settled on some other generic 5wt fork oil... Can't remember, silkolene, valvelene or something... It was much cheaper than Golden Spectro!

My initial reaction was a much smoother and plusher feeling, than my -08 stock/(push rebound) Boxxer Team. Kind of similar to the good old hscv zocchi's, if I remember correctly! Very active fork, but I had to turn up the compression a little. I ordered the mid-valve kit as soon as it was available. Got that installed now, in the mid setting. Makes it less prone to dive and feels really good! As good, or better than the DHF!
When I have more riding time, I will probably adjust the mid-valve to slightly less...

Here's a tip: When filling your dry fork with oil, remove the topcap from the rebound shaft, and pull out the rebound adjuster rod. Pour the oil over the shaft so it fills up completely. Then reinstall everything, letting the oil overflow when you insert the thin rod.

The first time I installed the cartridge I forgot about this, leaving some air trapped inside the shaft. This caused the rebound damping to be a bit inconsistent during the very first inch of the travel.

I think it's in the manual, but I missed it the first time! :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Speaking of oils. What fork oil do you guys run?

In the manual it clearly says 85/150, and there is a picture of a Spectro bottle that says 85/150 and 5wt.

I went to my local bike/moto shop that I knew carried Spectro oils, hoping I would find the exact same stuff as Craig uses. However, their 85/150 Spectro cartridge oils stated 2.5wt... According to the guy in the shop, Spectro makes two versions of 85/150(!) One that's 2.5wt for Showa's and another that's 5wt for some other make (kowa, kyb... can't remember. They only stocked Showa stuff.) Is this true?!

I settled on some other generic 5wt fork oil... Can't remember, silkolene, valvelene or something... It was much cheaper than Golden Spectro!

My initial reaction was a much smoother and plusher feeling, than my -08 stock/(push rebound) Boxxer Team. Kind of similar to the good old hscv zocchi's, if I remember correctly! Very active fork, but I had to turn up the compression a little. I ordered the mid-valve kit as soon as it was available. Got that installed now, in the mid setting. Makes it less prone to dive and feels really good! As good, or better than the DHF!
When I have more riding time, I will probably adjust the mid-valve to slightly less...

Here's a tip: When filling your dry fork with oil, remove the topcap from the rebound shaft, and pull out the rebound adjuster rod. Pour the oil over the shaft so it fills up completely. Then reinstall everything, letting the oil overflow when you insert the thin rod.

The first time I installed the cartridge I forgot about this, leaving some air trapped inside the shaft. This caused the rebound damping to be a bit inconsistent during the very first inch of the travel.

I think it's in the manual, but I missed it the first time! :)
Good info, yeah I saw it was 5 wt. I put my cart in and oil etc didnt bother looking ar reading anything other than the recomended oil volume..

Its golden spectro full synthetic that craig puts in uses.

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
Spectro only sells one 85/150, older bottles were not labeled or it said 2.5 on the back label, newer labels say 5 wt. Rating oil by weight is a very vague method, depending on the test method a 5 wt could be a 2.5 wt and vise versa.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Stick with Fork cartridge oil: The others have seal swell etc in them which cartidges dont need and usually dont have anti foaming in them which emuslifes and isnt good and fully .
4 major players for recomended are
Golden spectro
Showa (honda cartridge fork fluid black bottle labeled 5wt)
Showa SS7 hard to find
KYB has one carried by technical touch online
Maxima racing fork 5wt (oil color green)

Alot are labeled 5wt but this varies depending on variables ie humidity temerature etc

Heres a link to description and the maxima
http://www.maximausa.com/shopping/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=44
(DO not use 7, 10 or 15 only 5wt... Any good fork suspension should be labeled 85/150 if its not labeled dont use)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Silkolene is the only one I know of to stay away from due to seal-swell additives.

The Showa SS5/SS7 stuff is kinda crap. So is the generic Maxima green label stuff. The Maxima blue label stuff is made for closed cartridge forks and is generally higher quality.

I try to stick with Motul for everything I can in performance applications, from fork oils, to premix, to gear oil. Too bad they don't make a rear shock fluid.

FlyinPolack

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Hey guys, A heads up to all of you guys that will be self-installing: Craig will send you some fork oil with the cartridge (for a price) just ask. that way there is no question on whether or not you have the right stuff. There are some oils that WILL NOT WORK correctly (or just suck in general).
Craig is the man!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
As far as drop stop goes on team it can be removed you can buy a replacement cap for the race on that side. I believe thats all thats needed, as far as the carts concerned the hydraulic bottom out works perfect smooth and saves your @$$ alot better than a harsh clunk! So 2 HUGE :thum:'s up for that part alone...

Part #18 on boxxer race

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Silkolene is the only one I know of to stay away from due to seal-swell additives.

The Showa SS5/SS7 stuff is kinda crap. So is the generic Maxima green label stuff. The Maxima blue label stuff is made for closed cartridge forks and is generally higher quality.

I try to stick with Motul for everything I can in performance applications, from fork oils, to premix, to gear oil. Too bad they don't make a rear shock fluid.

Was refering to actuall oil color not label, yeah the blue label is the racing fork oil. :thumb:
Thanks for that point though that could have been easy for someone to go to the green label! Thanks...

Ill stick with Golden Spectro myself I know MArzocchi used it in there forks... Ive used it in MX, gsxr, and my other forks... Good stuff... Pricey but good clean mix...

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Okay, so I am really getting interested in trying some Avy and maybe geting some Woodie. I have been trying to keep track as the thread has been growing so I have forgotten some of the details by now. I was wondering if I could convert a Race since they are pretty cheap and even cheaper when they come up on sale. I have just seen the post that this possible so thats one good thing. I would also look at trying a woodie out back but my question is regarding parts and servicing.

I am currently living in South Korea but will be relocating my family to South Africa at the end of the year. Durability, parts and self servicing are major issues and I am at the point where I have chosen or replaced components to those I know I can DIY and get parts for. I am currently on RS forks all round due to rediculously easy servicing and I now have a Pushed Vivid on one bike and Pushed Fox on the other. I know I can get both serviced in South Africa. I have stayed away form CC and Elka specificaly due to servicing and parts.

So what I can gather is that all the goodies to go into the RS Race can be self fitted. I see oil choice is really important. Once I get the internals I should be set for some time right. What are the options if I wanted try an Avy in the back? I dont want to be shipping internationaly for servicing - would be rediculously expensive.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Okay, so I am really getting interested in trying some Avy and maybe geting some Woodie. I have been trying to keep track as the thread has been growing so I have forgotten some of the details by now. I was wondering if I could convert a Race since they are pretty cheap and even cheaper when they come up on sale. I have just seen the post that this possible so thats one good thing. I would also look at trying a woodie out back but my question is regarding parts and servicing.

I am currently living in South Korea but will be relocating my family to South Africa at the end of the year. Durability, parts and self servicing are major issues and I am at the point where I have chosen or replaced components to those I know I can DIY and get parts for. I am currently on RS forks all round due to rediculously easy servicing and I now have a Pushed Vivid on one bike and Pushed Fox on the other. I know I can get both serviced in South Africa. I have stayed away form CC and Elka specificaly due to servicing and parts.

So what I can gather is that all the goodies to go into the RS Race can be self fitted. I see oil choice is really important. Once I get the internals I should be set for some time right. What are the options if I wanted try an Avy in the back? I dont want to be shipping internationaly for servicing - would be rediculously expensive.

Woodie shocks are BOMB prrof absolutely amazing.. Youd love that shock set it and forget it... JUST RIDE...

All Craigs stuff is seviceable and easy to work on, not that you have to its probably the single most reliable stuff on the market. As far as the shocks concerned the shims are available at any MX shop and I know S.Africa has MX I know grant langston and his dad gerald who are from there....

Yes the boxxer can be conevrted loonatic on here is doing a full blown upgrade Ill leave it at that. Id Keep it a coil version and the race doesnt have the drop stop so just GUT the damper side and replace the internals SUPER EASY.....

Now you have an amazing suspension set up thats readilly available for misc. parts easy to work on and SUPER reliable....

Last edited:

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
i'm probably an idiot, but i just went to my local MX tuner dude, and he said that 5wt was probably fine.

i used rock oil 5wt cartridge oil. seems to be working just fine. got me to my fastest time and best race result yet at northstar last weekend.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Grrr. Was hoping this thing would actually be 300. After top cap, midvalve, and shipping that thing is like $450. Oh well!
Well the good news is you wont have to buy internals or a complete fork from here on out should you jack the chasis... So in the mid run it will be less... Im married so I look at things

What fork did you end up putting it in?????

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
i'm probably an idiot, but i just went to my local MX tuner dude, and he said that 5wt was probably fine.

i used rock oil 5wt cartridge oil. seems to be working just fine. got me to my fastest time and best race result yet at northstar last weekend.
Very nice, yeah 5wt is approx what 85/150 is...

How did it work out for you tracking and rocks etc... Did you get it dialed in and what fork you sportin...

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
To those who have installed the cartridge themselves on a 32mm boxxer, did you all use a 10mm drill bit to drill the shaft hole like in the manual?
I'm having a hard time finding metric drill bits, so would a 3/8" bit work since it's about 9.5mm?

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Well the good news is you wont have to buy internals or a complete fork from here on out should you jack the chasis... So in the mid run it will be less... Im married so I look at things

What fork did you end up putting it in?????
Haven't bought it yet. I have my 2008 888 rc3 with a brand new rc3 cart and lowers. But I'm in the process of jewing my way into a 2005 888 I might throw it into, and keep the rc3 as a spare.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
To those who have installed the cartridge themselves on a 32mm boxxer, did you all use a 10mm drill bit to drill the shaft hole like in the manual?
I'm having a hard time finding metric drill bits, so would a 3/8" bit work since it's about 9.5mm?
If you drill it you can use the bit anmd LIGHTLY round out the hole a smidge... Lightly quickly and then test it.... LIGHTL and quickly one light round again if it doesnt fit... Its not hard dont manhandle it just work it snall bits at a time and its so close that itll fit almost right off the bat....

EASY EASY.....

Ive honed ALOT of stuff over the years man dont sweat it....

Oct 14, 2001
Colchester, Ct
We can send you a 10 mm drill bit with your order, we stock them for this kit.

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
So speaking of being cheap, will these upgrade carts fit any cheaper forks, such as the Marzocchi drop-off triple, the Jr T, or say the Manitou Travis?

So speaking of being cheap, will these upgrade carts fit any cheaper forks, such as the Marzocchi drop-off triple, the Jr T, or say the Manitou Travis?

Why would you put a $300-400 internal upgrade in such a P.O.S. used fork?
Theorectically it is possible but you or Avalanche would need to machine the adapters to fit the fork and at this time the Boxxer, 888 and Fox 40 are whats selling.
It costs alot do crank out a batch of adapters .

Cabdoctor

Monkey
Mar 25, 2008
Sacramento
Why would you put a $300-400 internal upgrade in such a P.O.S. used fork?
Theorectically it is possible but you or Avalanche would need to machine the adapters to fit the fork and at this time the Boxxer, 888 and Fox 40 are whats selling.
It costs alot do crank out a batch of adapters .
Because a lot of guys have a POS used fork either laying around or on their bikes. I know I would rather spend $299 dollars and upgrade a crap fork with awesome internals then spend $500 for a mid level new fork.