Quantcast

Avalanche Suspension?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I always get the loose weight thing, I cant use the term Body Building cause its "gay" I have been lifting for years my waist is a 34 , 12% BF I am into powerlifting as my other hobby.. So the weight isnt a issue cause I am bulking right now cause I do a Bench Competition at my local gym every year in January so I will get to like 245-250lb and then cut done to like 225 - 230lb for the summer..

I mean going with the new 888 WC is $1500, I talked to Craig today awesome guy and he suggested the DHF 7.0 dual damp with 1/2 caps for the Blindside he said it would be perfect for the type of riding I will be doing, yeah its 9lb fork but at 240lb does it matter, I rather have something that is bulletproof over something that is a bit lighter. Transition recommends a 578 axle to crown for the BS which is 22 3/4 inches with the DHF 7.0 and the 1/2 caps i would be at right around 22 inches which would be perfect. Going with the 8.0 I would be over 23 inches axle to crown a bit to high for me. Plus for $1495 I will take the DHF 7.0 and I know it will take all I can throw at it.

One thing people generally forget is that a 'higher' weight - around where you are - is just fat, not muscle. From how you are describing yourself, I wouldn't worry about an extra 2lbs on the front end of the bike. Based on the amount of lifting you do you should have no problem muscling the bike around.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
One thing people generally forget is that a 'higher' weight - around where you are - is just fat, not muscle. From how you are describing yourself, I wouldn't worry about an extra 2lbs on the front end of the bike. Based on the amount of lifting you do you should have no problem muscling the bike around.

Yeah I hear ya, I am not worried about the extra weight. But even cause I can bench whatever.. Its different when a bike weighs less for me anyway its a few things less fatigue in the air a 45lb bike feels 100% diff than a bike that weighs 35lb at least for me..
So I am going with the DHF 7.0 Dual damp and a Woodie 8.75 x 2.75 I guess I will be a member of the AVY Cult... Cant wait:monkeydance:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah I hear ya, I am not worried about the extra weight. But even cause I can bench whatever.. Its different when a bike weighs less for me anyway its a few things less fatigue in the air a 45lb bike feels 100% diff than a bike that weighs 35lb at least for me..
yea dude, its the same for everyone. haha.

So I am going with the DHF 7.0 Dual damp and a Woodie 8.75 x 2.75 I guess I will be a member of the AVY Cult... Cant wait:monkeydance:

good call. you will not be disappointed :thumb:

FLdragon

Chimp
Oct 22, 2005
in the area
Wise purchases El Gordo. Also a great investment.
You can run that front and rear Avalanche suspension for the next decade if you want to. Just send them back to Craig once a year for some Love. Try running a Fox, Manitou, or whatever for a few seasons. You can get away with it but You'd be pushing your luck if you did that. Performance would definitely suffer. Ava's you can run them for Life.

Another thing I love about Avalanche rear shocks are the shock bushings. I rode DH every weekend this season and didn't wear out one set of Avalanche bushings! Thats because the Avalanche bushings are as durable as the shock itself. I was going through 3 sets of Manitou, Fifth Element and Romic bushings per season.
Nice job AvA. Keep up the good work.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
Now all I need is the $$$$.. I gonna wait a bit anyway right now I am in the garage with some beers finishing this BS build up the 66 feels ok on it I mean I only took it around the block the cranks were giving me a problem, I will post some pics as soon as I get my Digi cam back from my buddy.. Yeah I think its gonna be a killer setup for the BS can wait till next season...

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
fulton, are you being smart with me?

anyway, save yourself some money and just buy a 40rc2 you cant go wrong.
I would never do such a thing, and quite frankly, I am appalled that you would make such an accusation.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I'm glad you cared enough to read all my posts. That bike wasn't already complete, I was building a frame and needed a fork for it. I had already rode a marz fork and a DHX for 2 years. I wanted something new and was inquiring about a product that changes almost every model year. Much unlike your case where you built a bike, realized it was gay 20minutes later, built another one, and are now asking questions about a product that has barely changed over several years and has numerous threads dedicated to it.

P.S.- no cares about your ****, interpret that however you will.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I would never do such a thing, and quite frankly, I am appalled that you would make such an accusation.

haha i could care less, its the internet.

el, im gonna have to take a look at this bike your talkin about next season at diablo.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Avalanche will be coming out with the "Avalanche Advantage"
Keep your eye out for it...!
Basically AvA will upgrade your 888's(& other brands rear shocks too)
with the "Avalanche Advantage". Sort of like what Push has been doing for rear shocks but Avalanche is gonna pimp up the 888's too!!
Craig is a perfectionist so you know it is gonna be an amazing upgrade..If you want more details about what exactly the upgrade is then go call Craig at Avalanche. I'm not sure the details. I just ride.
That sounds very interesting! I have been om my 7" ti DHF for three seasons now, love the damping! Don't like the geometry and twistyness...
Still, I have not found anything that comes close to the performance and hydraulic reliability of the Avalanche shock. So I hang on to it..

Personally I like the dimensions of the Boxxer chassis, but the DHF cartridge would never fit. I am guessing the upgrades are for the new 38mm 888's?
I think a fox 40 could be frankenforked, but that would be kind of expensive :)

Congratulations to the original poster! Avalanche makes really high quality stuff. Almost perfect! :thumb:

UiUiUiUi

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2003
Berlin, Germany
i have a question: i had one of the first season DHF 8 a few years back and ran into a few minor problems.

the fork twisted quite easy when i just had a very small crash, anybody experienced something similar with the newer forks?

i am looking for a new fork for next year and since i cant make up my mind which one to buy from the big "players", i consider going back to avalanche :)

EDIT: i see rogerH experienced the same. anybody else?