Quantcast

Avy Cult!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
from what I understand, craig makes his parts his way and that's that, whether we like it or not.

I think there's plenty of possible upgrades for these things, but they work pretty darn well the way they are.
Agread!
My dhs coming back had a little internal milling done by craig to it to improve the adjustments and make them more precise and responsive. I thought they were perfect to begin with. :D
If Craigs doin it we can be assured theres a reason for it that improves it.:clapping:

We will start a thread here this week when mine gets in from avy, where all the glorious members of the cult may post there ride and thoughts on their equiptment. Settings and "it saved my A$$" captions. My dhs has saved me atleast twice thanks to its build and dampening.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That wasn't really intended as a support comment, more of a "too resistant to change" kind of deal.

Like i said, good product, but it could be smaller, the forks could be redone better, etc. I always hated the lack of aftermarket modify-ability. As in, if I bought a used shock, I don't think he'll change it for a new bike- same things with the forks. I love the stuff that I have, but I don't know if I'd buy one new.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
i've had avy products since i started riding in 03. the dhs is an amazing shock. Also i purchased a dhf ti in 04.

the downside to avy is that they are heavy, the upside is the dampening and bottom out control. The fork has saved me twice where as any other fork would of thrown me over the handle bars. I ride the avy in the off season for training and to punish the fork.

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
i'd reconsider running a DHF fork again IF their single dampers could support more than 185. every other fork on the market can, why can't theirs. maybe craig doesnt like fat people?? i like the offset of the crowns, that's one reason i would like one again.

8" Ti single DHF with the Hi/Low comp would be sweet.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
i'd reconsider running a DHF fork again IF their single dampers could support more than 185. every other fork on the market can, why can't theirs. maybe craig doesnt like fat people?? i like the offset of the crowns, that's one reason i would like one again.

8" Ti single DHF with the Hi/Low comp would be sweet.
i agree, and can't understand that either. His forks suddenly become super frail when there's only one damper? What about thicker weight oil or something? MR. Dirt did it in 1998, why can't he do it now?

I think a lot more people would be on dhf tis if he could make an effective single damper version. the weight penalty would be significantly less for the damping quality.

RogerH

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Sweden
Glad you liked the sticker job! That was my exact thought. Keep the bike as logo free as possible, except for one place...

It's a stock DHF 7", single damper and ti spring. Got it on the sale they had two years ago. :)
Didn't know there was different crowns. Mine looks pretty flimsy. The ones on Seismic's MTM fork looks much meatier.

If beefier, less offsetty, crowns with integrated stem where available, that would be awesome!

Here's me... going huuuuuuuuuge:

:cool:

jezozwierz

Chimp
Jan 11, 2007
carpathian mountains
has anybody used a chubie shock with additional hi/low compression adjustment?And how does the woodie feel comparing it to the chubie as Im getting a woodie shock for my new zumbi f44 frame.How dos it feel and is it worth the upgrade?

c.o.d51

Monkey
Oct 5, 2005
has anybody used a chubie shock with additional hi/low compression adjustment?And how does the woodie feel comparing it to the chubie as Im getting a woodie shock for my new zumbi f44 frame.How dos it feel and is it worth the upgrade?
If you read my post earlier in the thread, I spent seven months on one;) It was an awesome shock, I loved it. The Hi/low works really well, and the Chubie is an excellent shock. Only reason I don't still have it is that I sold the bike it was on. Killer shock.

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
ive been riding a dhs with the remote comp & ti spring for over a year now and love it. easily takes the high travel ratio of my banshee, my weight (220) and just feels great. turned the rebound up a bit and havent touched in since. the yearly maintanace fee is a bit high, but it sure beats blowing foxes and 5ths. that $995 fork is mighty tempting. riding a shiver now and love it except i bottom it too easily. how much more do they weigh?

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
Thought i would add my bike

Turner 04 DHR
Avy with hi low adjuster, 5wt oil, modded to 2 3/4 inch stroke, giving approx 7.8inchs rear travel
Boxxer air WC's modded to approx 7.3inchs travel
Saint brakes / cranks
XTR drivetrain
Hadley on 721's with maxxis tubless rim strips, tubless minions

BB sitting at 13.6inchs.

jezozwierz

Chimp
Jan 11, 2007
carpathian mountains
my zumbi f-44 Ti with avy woodie hi/low compression and titanium pivot axles

the new zumbi DhTeam Ti with chubie, new 2007 floating disc mount and titanium pivot axle

avalanche rules!

jezozwierz

Chimp
Jan 11, 2007
carpathian mountains
the DHS would fit better but I dont like fiddling with the compression adjusters so once Ive got it right Ill just ride it. The rebound is easily reachable.
Ones is like a karpiel or pdc 825 and the others a cross between chumba and rmx.
the zumbi has different suspension characteristics due to the different lenghts and angles of the pivots compared to the PDC but the idea is similar.
The front triangle of the dhteam is similar to the Disco. The owner of Zumbi used to race on a disco him self and is a big fan of that construction.

The cool thing is Pawel makes custom geometry and cooparates with Avalanche so the shocks are perfectly tuned for these frames :)

DHJUNKIE

Monkey
Sep 27, 2001
Cromwell, CT
hey avy guys... do you know how much a 9.5 x 3.0 remote res. avy dhs rear shock weighs? like exact real world numbers with a steel spring? just curious to what mine weighs in at. I did search too.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
hey avy guys... do you know how much a 9.5 x 3.0 remote res. avy dhs rear shock weighs? like exact real world numbers with a steel spring? just curious to what mine weighs in at. I did search too.
I'll be sending mine in within the next month for servicing. It's a 9x3 with a Ti spring, however I'll strip it down for shipping and weigh it with the 550 steel spring for yah.