Quantcast

axle path

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
How important is axle path on a DH bike?

I am currently riding a Trek Diesel but am toying with the idea of a linkage bike (sunday)
I love my diesel to bits but the only thing I dont really like is on really rocky stuff the back wheel feels like im dragging a pendulum over the rocks. (exaggerated)

Would a bike with a different axle path benafit me like a V-10 or Sunday?

I have done a search on this and the results baffled me a bit so keeping your answers basic would be great!

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
If that's the kind of feeling you're getting (and the Diesels have a fairly rearward axle path, I think moreso than a Sunday or V10 - could be wrong here) and you want to eliminate it, it sounds to me like you'd want something with a higher pivot (Balfa BB7, BCD Inedible etc).

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Trek Diesel already has a very high pivot. Maybe its the high pivot on the Diesel that makes the bike feel sluggish? Not sure exactly what you mean...

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
klunky said:
I love my diesel to bits but the only thing I dont really like is on really rocky stuff the back wheel feels like im dragging a pendulum over the rocks. (exaggerated)
sounds like a poor shock setup, although i'm not 100% on what your analogy is saying. Do you mean it feels like the rear wheel is being hung-up and the BB being pulled down?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
axle path is very important. if you want to go fast, and smooth. it really counts. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it does. I got a bullit... sold it within 2 months. single pivot biks have big downfalls. they feel like they want to catch on bumps and that sort of thing. like you were saying, it feels like its a dragging a pendulum over the rocksl its all because its a single pivot design. my personal suggestion would be a canfield brothers formula 1. check out what lance and chris canfield have to say about it http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Suspension.htm it explained exaclty what was wrong with my bike. and because the desiel is the same single pivot design it wants to catch up on the bumbs. go for a canfield!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM

thr trek is high pivot

i think it is shock setup too.

take all comprestion out and no spring preload.

if you are bottoming keep going up in pring
weights till you olny do it 2x a run

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
iridebikes said:
axle path is very important. if you want to go fast, and smooth. it really counts. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, but it does. I got a bullit... sold it within 2 months. single pivot biks have big downfalls. they feel like they want to catch on bumps and that sort of thing. like you were saying, it feels like its a dragging a pendulum over the rocksl its all because its a single pivot design. my personal suggestion would be a canfield brothers formula 1. check out what lance and chris canfield have to say about it http://www.canfieldbrothers.com/Suspension.htm it explained exaclty what was wrong with my bike. and because the desiel is the same single pivot design it wants to catch up on the bumbs. go for a canfield!
never had that issue with my Racelink. and i've tried a lot of different bikes.
i also have a Karpiel. Racelink is still wayyy smoother....

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
thaflyinfatman said:
If that's the kind of feeling you're getting (and the Diesels have a fairly rearward axle path, I think moreso than a Sunday or V10 - could be wrong here) and you want to eliminate it, it sounds to me like you'd want something with a higher pivot (Balfa BB7, BCD Inedible etc).
bb7 has a rearward axle path due to its high pivot. i believe the inedible does too. ie: not the right bike for him

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
I too have a question regarding this thread. Is their an ideal axle path or is it a preference thing. I did notice going from a bullit to a demo 9 how much smoother and less feedback the demo has. Anyway, that is my question. What is the ideal path or is their any?

-tmoney

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
tmoney said:
I too have a question regarding this thread. Is their an ideal axle path or is it a preference thing. I did notice going from a bullit to a demo 9 how much smoother and less feedback the demo has. Anyway, that is my question. What is the ideal path or is their any?

-tmoney
everyone has ther own ideal.

high is better for square hits.
low better for flat drops or
landing from air.

so no there is not one that is best
for everything. well, there is one
that will please, them all. the 2x4

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Alex,

David is making his own DH rig...he has access to a whole plethora of machine shop stuff.

It mimics your 2x4 in some ways but takes it to the next level in design. It'll weigh 50+ lbs but has a LOT of cool ideas...(merge the Yeti 303 and your 2x4)...only problem is it will grow a lot under braking iinto corners...it's more of a wall orniment than anything else anyway though...gotta appreciate...

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Alex's bike has a TRUE virtual pivot point...the wheel can move anywhere in a certain area...it's unreal for bump eating ability, nothing else out there that can do what that bike can do...

Pair that bike up with Darren's ability to tune shocks and that would be the ultimate in bump eating...it wouldn't get any better...

Handling is where it can suffer, the wheelbase changes all the time...but like i said, under the right shock tuner, it can work VERY well...personally, I'd LOVE to race one

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
squarewheels said:
bcd, are the shocks set up differently so different bumps activate a different shock? looks like you have two axle paths on there
yes, square hit move the high and flat landing goes vert.
like jeff said any where it needs to go in a zone.

good freeride design but needed some slimming for race rig.

JEFF:

cool, glad to see him make a bike.
it is fun to do for sure.
put ideas to use.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
zedro said:
i'm gonna invent the first SUPER-TRUE 4-bar....
Too late shimano already grabbed that one up and used it on an exxage derailur, they had some other name but it was essentially SUPER-TRUE 4-bar.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
I dont think its compression as I have it virtually wound off completely. My spring weight is correct I think as I bottom out around 4 or 5 times per run on my home course.
I guess my description has made the problem sound worse than it is. Its not like The bike feels like im pulling and anchor it just sometimes feels like the wheel is not getting over boulders as fast as I would like it to (dam that makes it sound like compression and its not)
I guess what I need to know is will the DW link or VPP benafit me?

:)

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
OGRipper said:
Just curious Klunky, are you talking with or without brakes, or both? If it's a braking thing, do you have a floater?

I run the floater and its with both. When I never had the floater it was real bad under braking. Its only recently I have started to notice and I think its partly because I am riding loads at the moment and getting a bit faster.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
klunky said:
I dont think its compression as I have it virtually wound off completely. My spring weight is correct I think as I bottom out around 4 or 5 times per run on my home course.
I guess my description has made the problem sound worse than it is. Its not like The bike feels like im pulling and anchor it just sometimes feels like the wheel is not getting over boulders as fast as I would like it to (dam that makes it sound like compression and its not)
I guess what I need to know is will the DW link or VPP benafit me?

:)
this is what i was thinking at first. It seems when high pivoted bikes are set too soft the bike over-shoots its travel and drags the BB down. This happens to my bike when i set the pressure too low on the DHX; the bump just wants to keep dragging the wheel back and up. If your spring is correct, turn up some compression.

the DW-link and VPP wont benefit you if you can't set them up properly either ;)

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
iridebikes said:
No... single pivot bikes do not catch on bumps any more than multi-pivots. It's the wheelpath that determines this, not amount of pivots.

dcamp29

Monkey
Feb 14, 2004
Colorado
neversummersnow said:
Alex,

David is making his own DH rig...he has access to a whole plethora of machine shop stuff.

It mimics your 2x4 in some ways but takes it to the next level in design. It'll weigh 50+ lbs but has a LOT of cool ideas...(merge the Yeti 303 and your 2x4)...only problem is it will grow a lot under braking iinto corners...it's more of a wall orniment than anything else anyway though...gotta appreciate...
shut up..... i don't want anyone stealing my brilliant plans. lol. anyways all im saying is it will kick much ass.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
dcamp29 said:
shut up..... i don't want anyone stealing my brilliant plans. lol. anyways all im saying is it will kick much ass.

pm me a pic or drawling :)

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Maybe the trek handles like the 223, which from my experience can tend to skip over bumps rather than tracking them.

From my 2 very short rides on a 223, the first time it tracked the ground very well, however the second time, with a different shock setting, it skipped over the bumps. Both felt good though.

Maybe this is a comparsion and it is down to shock setup.

P.S get a Sunday though

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
i know, single pivot bikes such as bullits and that sort of thing, as well as "4bar" they axle is still pivoting around one point. The thing about canfields are that the axle travels up and away from the bottom bracket in a rearward arch.

WheelieMan said:
No... single pivot bikes do not catch on bumps any more than multi-pivots. It's the wheelpath that determines this, not amount of pivots.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
zedro said:
actually the axle path isnt all that different from a Diesel; it does move foward in the latter end of the travel.
And suddenly I solved the biggest problem of the universe and my brain exploded;

So instead of having to worry about chain extention, we could simply have a generator in the bottom bracket, then transmit a microwave to the reciever dish (obviously non-disc side), which is connected to the hub, which in turn operates via a electronic speed control transmitted from the handlebar. It's so simple it's got to work! Then we could finally get the optimal X-path wheepath, with optional zig zag 4-way compliance.

Not only that, but you could simply have a completely floating rear end! As long as you have line of sight, you could go riding and leave the wheel at your house, and it would still spin! Holy crap this is genius, wait untill I share it on pinkbike. You could help your buddies get up the hill, and best of all, you could soften a powerbar, which as we all know is a superior frame material when cold, due to tensile strength that is off the charts.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Jm_ said:
And suddenly I solved the biggest problem of the universe and my brain exploded;

So instead of having to worry about chain extention, we could simply have a generator in the bottom bracket, then transmit a microwave to the reciever dish (obviously non-disc side), which is connected to the hub, which in turn operates via a electronic speed control transmitted from the handlebar. It's so simple it's got to work! Then we could finally get the optimal X-path wheepath, with optional zig zag 4-way compliance.

Not only that, but you could simply have a completely floating rear end! As long as you have line of sight, you could go riding and leave the wheel at your house, and it would still spin! Holy crap this is genius, wait untill I share it on pinkbike. You could help your buddies get up the hill, and best of all, you could soften a powerbar, which as we all know is a superior frame material when cold, due to tensile strength that is off the charts.

OMG DUDER SOO SICKTOR LOLZ BUT CUD U HUCK IT LRG?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The Kadvang said:
OMG DUDER SOO SICKTOR LOLZ BUT CUD U HUCK IT LRG?
No, you can't huck it huge because it will mess with the satallites.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
zedro said:
actually the axle path isnt all that different from a Diesel; it does move foward in the latter end of the travel.
The Canfield Formula 1 is rearward through the entire travel, ending vertical. It is more rearward than a Diesel, Canfield is 60mm. Look at the height of the upper pulley wheel, ours is higher because it has more chain growth that has to be neutralized.

Hey Zedro I never saw a pic of your complete bike. Giver up! :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
flymybike said:
The Canfield Formula 1 is rearward through the entire travel, ending vertical. It is more rearward than a Diesel, Canfield is 60mm. Look at the height of the upper pulley wheel, ours is higher because it has more chain growth that has to be neutralized.

Hey Zedro I never saw a pic of your complete bike. Giver up! :D
hmm...my models couldn't of been that off...anyways

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=65578

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63394

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63396

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=63395

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Nice, didn't know you had a steel main frame on her. That is Awesome!!!
How often do you ride it? What are the pros and con of how it rides? If you don't mind.
We have made a few different bikes with differing amounts of rearward travel. The Fatty Fat and the Signature frames have the most but also have more travel than the F1, 10in vs 9in. The F1 still has more rearward than any production frame I know of.
I would bet your bike has a good amount of rearward as well. Do you know off the top of your head how much?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
not sure but its over 50mm (it's been 2 years since i finalised that parameter).

I didnt get as much riding time as i wanted, once every week or two, still dialing in the linkage. Overall it rides great, it is heavy as expected but that hasent bothered me all that much. A longer front center wheelbase would of suited me better. It tracks and corners really well, swallows the bumps with the DHX, but it does lack some vibration sensitivity (i'm thinking its the size and weight of the swingarm thats the problems). It pedals pretty amazingly despite its weight; very stable and only lifts when on an incline in low gearing, not a typical DH situation. Braking is very flat with the floater setup. Overall i'm extreamely pleased with the outcome as a first project; it's biggest fault is the assembly/ease of maintenance, but i'll chalk that upto designer inexperience/ignorance.