Quantcast

B.A.D. Mofo Bullit Augmentation Device??!?!

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
Who's got the info? What the hell is this? What's it do?

pics I saw were on hcors coverage

anyone know?

thanks

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
well maybe hashpipe. but also look there are no cable guides on the outside of the swing arm. so maybe all internal?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Rik said:
I thought the thread title said "argumentation device", and was thinking "computer with net connection".
hmmm...so you can ride your Bullit while posting pictures of it and asking for others to post their cool pics of Rootbear Bullits and complaining how other companies are ripping off the Bullits patented pivot placement...

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Here ya go:

The hollow arm is for a 1/2"x 20" gusseted 4130 riot baton. To beat Bullit bashers with. Or just people w/ lame comments on seemingly legit threads.

PS: I'm also looking forward to hearing more about this thing.

gmac

Monkey
Apr 6, 2002
Could it be an adjustable rear end ? To lengthen or shorten the chainstay ? Looks like some kind of pivot correct ? I'd like to see the non-drive side.

Also, is it B.A.D. MOTO vs Mofo ?

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I bet it is an internal floating brake axle that has no visible arm mounting to the Seat Tube and it also incorporates a 12mm through axle.

Anyone want to wager a bet?

Spitfired

Monkey
Jun 18, 2004
Rochester, NY
Its the Shaft signature series bike.
"He's one bad mother-(shut yo mouth!)"

I'd say it's adjustability. It looks to me like you can rotate the dropout around to change things like headangle, BB height, wheelbase/CS length. there might be somthing similar but by the shock bolt so you can counter act some of the first adjustments - IE, rotate the dropouts for a short chainstay, then change the shock position to maintain the original head angle.
Maybe?

Oct 30, 2001
Fremont
gmac said:
Could it be an adjustable rear end ? To lengthen or shorten the chainstay ? Looks like some kind of pivot correct ? I'd like to see the non-drive side.

Also, is it B.A.D. MOTO vs Mofo ?
I checked this out at the Simple Minds Technology booth. They offered a chainkeeper bashguard and some singlespeed stuff. Someone outside of SMT made the swingarm and may be offering it. It was a prototype that would allow for a larger shock so it offered some adjustability. It allows for 2.7" tires.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Southbay Bomber said:
I checked this out at the Simple Minds Technology booth. They offered a chainkeeper bashguard and some singlespeed stuff. Someone outside of SMT made the swingarm and may be offering it. It was a prototype that would allow for a larger shock so it offered some adjustability. It allows for 2.7" tires.
Sounds rather unnecessary.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
It looks like a cromo swingarm...I have no clue about the hashpipe-looking thingie.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
My friend Landon built this swingarm upgrade. I cant remember exactly the dimensions of it, but I believe that the swingarm runs a 9.5X3 shock and gives 8" of travel to make your Bullit into a longer travel fs trail rig. Ill drop Landon an E-mail and see if he can reply further. The parts looked awesome in person. He also had a big BMX that he built too, with chainstays in the 14.5 range or so. It was pretty cool.

dw

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
Thanks dw, an aftermarket swingarm is easy enough to make, but what about those disks at the dropouts and the crack pipes that come out of the seatstays? If you could ask him to clarify those it would be awesome.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Matt D said:
crack pipes that come out of the seatstays?
Come on, man. Just think to yourself how many times you've been ripping up a sweet piece of singletrack and thought, "If I could only spark up a little rock, that would make this ride perfect..."

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Welp, adjustible or not, crack pipe or not, it's still, by far, the ugliest looking swingarm I've ever set my eyes on. Maybee it grows on ya after ya hit the rock. No offense to DW's buddy, but I would have made the thing without those ugly bends. However I don't know what the ***k I'm talking about so don't listen to me anyway. MMM...............Crack

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
What you are all calling a crack pipe is actually an internal floating piston, notice the o-rings? You can sort of make out how the shock connects through the pivot bolt, well that pivot bolt acts like the hose on a remote reservoir shock and the swink arm is acting like a huge remote reservoir, sure the 5th already has the piggyback but by making the reservoir larger you get a stronger platform with better small bump sensitivity. Since the swingarm is thickwall aluminum it acts as a radiator to cool the oil too, pretty freakin ingenious if you ask me.

No wait it's really a crack pipe, I must have been hitting it before I came up with that wild explanation.

Dusty Bottoms

Monkey
Sep 10, 2001
Santa Monica
Who goes through the trouble of designing an all new rear end with more travel, and doesn't make it 12x150mm thru-axle compatible? Quick release??? C'mon dude!

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
binary visions said:
Come on, man. Just think to yourself how many times you've been ripping up a sweet piece of singletrack and thought, "If I could only spark up a little rock, that would make this ride perfect..."
ahahahahahahahaaa

literally lauging out loud over here :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Just looks like an aluminum insert that goes with the replaceable drops. Maybe you can rotate it a bit to change angles, bb height, etc., or maybe it's just their idea that an aluminum insert is easier to replace than a damaged dropout interface (and lighter than steel chainring bolts too). Not saying I agree it's a good idea, but that's what it looks like to me. And maybe they have a 12 x 150 option, but wanted to show a qr so you know you don't need a new wheel.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Kornphlake said:
so does anybody that went to interbike really know what this thing is?
You mean you're looking for an explanation like:

dw said:
the swingarm runs a 9.5X3 shock and gives 8" of travel to make your Bullit into a longer travel fs trail rig.
:D