Quantcast

Back from Kili/safari (pics)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So we're finally done with Kilimanjaro and a 5-day safari. The summit was a lot harder than I thought it'd be; 5900m or so really is no joke. Mainline tourist Africa can suck, and Kili is a big cog in a bigger money mill--too many people on a mountain for my taste (as I stand constituting one among everyone else's "too many"), but it's a unique, once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing, so I just rolled with it and enjoyed the walk. Having porters and all is a mixed bag, but there's not much other way to do it, as you need licensed guides and they all want to pump you for cash.

5 days in a Land Cruiser 70 rolling around spotting animals was an interesting change afterward...I wish you weren't obligated to be entirely vehicle-bound in the Tanzanian parks, but I imagine it's for good reason.

All in all, however, it was a much need recuperation period from a very long and stressful time with no vacation. And I'm very proud of Steph's determination throughout the trek, especially on summit day.

Anyhow, yeah, the cool part...

All rain forest on the first day.

First camp, on the border with the moorlands/heather region.

Nice view of Kibo and glaciers on the start of Day 3.

Steph beginning descent into Barranco Valley as we traverse under Kibo.

Climbing out of Barranco Valley the next morning via the Barranco Wall. Did I mention something about too many people (and their 3 porters each...) on the mountain?

Cool waterfalls opposite the Wall.

Back towards Kibo with senecio tree

Karanga camp at night

Kibo at night from Karanga

On the way to Barafu, the last camp before summit, and enjoying it.

At Uhuru peak in front of the southern icefields--Steph not enjoying it so much anymore...

Steph grabbed this cool snap up top as she sat around dazed, too.

(safari pics to be up later, and images from my film setup on both halves should hopefully be much better and I'll have them in hand in, oh, a month or two...safari pics with a 50mm lens made things interesting.)

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Didn't see too much actual carnage, but we did see 3 leopards with kills hauled up into trees and a zebra limping around with a shredded lower leg.

But given my bandwidth here at home and the late hour, it'll be a day or three before I can get them posted...

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Mike, that is phenominal, although I did laugh at the "lift line" and camping above the city. Not what I would have imagined, as you said though, experiences of a lifetime.

Edit: The more I look at it..maybe that is what that whole "Stairway to Heaven" thing is all about..

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was there in Xmas 2000/NY 2001 - 1 week in Tanzania and 2 weeks in Kenya. Was awesome except getting a bug that took me out for three days. My sister was also there a few years earlier for 6 months doing a NOLS semester (walking around in the bush for weeks, living on sailing dows on the coast (1 of 2 dows survived the semester - one sunk), rolling in a Land Cruiser down a hillside 12 times until stopping, getting amebic dysentery, summitted Mt Kilimanjaro and Mt Kenya etc) and afterwards traveling around Africa on her own. All my photos were lost in a HDD crash but she had her print photo negatives scanned in the fall from the trip (click photo below for hundreds of photos):

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
looks like fun. always wanted to do Kilimanjaro. Hope to do so before the snow's gone one of these days.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Being able to get out of your car and walk around is one of those things that seems great in theory but when you actually do it, it quickly loses it lustre. The realisation that lurking out there are half a dozen animals that will kill you and another half dozen that will not only kill you but eat you as well doesn't make for a relaxing stroll. Plus it's difficult to stroll easily with a permanently puckered arsehole.
Great pics mate, they all say Tanzania is the place to see animals. Expect a full run down of all wildlife seen too!

Aug 6, 2007
amish country
great photos....love that first jungle shot. It definitely gives of a "we're not in Kansas anymore" vibe.

My friend went on Safari two years ago and saw all the "big eight" or however many must see animals there are. The highlight of her trip was that they got to see a cheetah run down a Thompsons Gazelle right in front of them. They had the entire thing on video and stills i believe. She said the guide told them they could come on 50 more trips and not see that again.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
We had impala steak in one of the lodges. Pretty good stuff.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
We had impala steak in one of the lodges. Pretty good stuff.
Thomson Gazelle and Zebra are good too. Not as good/interesting as in the field, but still very much worth a visit, is Carnivore in Nairobi.

I don't recall where that photo was taken, it was over 9 years ago - did you click on the photo - there are over 300 :D

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Given my bandwidth, I don't click on anything with over 300 pictures...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Few more--what do you think about the color vs. the b/w?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
first off: very cool stuff. but since you asked: are these scanned negatives? digital? tone curve seems to push the darks too dark imo, and these in general look a bit undersaturated. i prefer the color to black and white for your posted sample btw.