Quantcast

"Ballpark" Fox DH40 and 36 pricing

http://www.dirtworks.com.au/site/

Fox have released pricing for their new 36 & 40 forks. As promised, here is some ballpark pricing. NOT "set in stone" as yet, but it should give you an idea of the price points. Single crown 36 FR comes in two models. R & RC2.
36-R should be around $1599 (1,156.39 USD)

36-RC2 should be around $1899 (1,373.36 USD)

Dual crown 40 DH also comes in two models. R & RC2

40-R should be around $2475 (1,789.92 USD)

40-RC2 should be around $2999 (2,168.88 USD)

Would the prices be higher in Australia due to importing? 'Cause thats alot of coin.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Aussie pricing cant always be accurate for everybody else....
Often times they up the pricing since its imported, not as common of an item as well as just having a different profit margin for the area among other things...

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
36-R should be around $1599 (1,156.39 USD)

are you frickin kidding me? I was thinking in the range of 600-800 at MOST! Not 1200 bucks...

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Transcend said:
Aussie pricing is always off the charts. I have been told the dh 40 rc2 will be just below the price of the manitou dorado spv.
Are new Fox Forks ala DH40 shipping later this month? Or do you know?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
singletrackworld.com
Fox36 - despite large queues to give them a go (from many bike company product managers as well as bike shop dudes...) I managed to get a pretty good spin in on the new Fox36 forks. They have the TALAS feature for adjusting from 110mm to 150mm and take a 20mm bolt through axle. Fox reckons that it has reached its target weight of just under 5lbs too.
They ride really well. Very confidence inspiring - which may just be down to the chunky look, big 36mm stanchions and big lowers too. Personally I like the brown colour, though not everyone is going to. The fore-aft and side-side stiffness is also impressive and Fox have engineered them for the new generation of nutters (something like 1200lb of impact strength) but reckon they'll do good duty on all-day trail bikes. Due to the larger air chamber, it runs lower pressures - sub 50psi or so and there are adjustments for rebound and high and low speed compression. A great looking fork that they're not going to start making until after Christmas, so don't get too excited - just yet anyway.
Maybe they mean made in quantity or made for the UK?

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Transcend said:
As long as nothing has changed since i last talked to the fox folks, then yes, end of this month they will begin to ship.
Ahhhh :drool: i better order mine now!!! Also, are all production DH40s going to have silver lowers or will there be other options? Thanks for the info.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Sherpa said:
Ahhhh :drool: i better order mine now!!! Also, are all production DH40s going to have silver lowers or will there be other options? Thanks for the info.
The only pictures i have seen are the gray fox lowers. The production fork is MUCH nicer looking then the prototype however. It basically looks like a monstrous gray boxxer with fox adjusters on it.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Yeti DHer said:
are you frickin kidding me? I was thinking in the range of 600-800 at MOST! Not 1200 bucks...
:stupid:

That's insane-and-a-half. How are they going to compete with the Marzocchi 66, Manitou Nixon, and Rock Shox Pike if they cost so damn much?

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
^ Might wanna consider editing that post. It's kinda taboo to make wholesale pricing and employee discount info available to the public.

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
ViolentVolante said:
no its not, Brian can be overruled, there are others higher on the foodchain :nuts: but he'll probably edit this post and make me sound stupid
I will quote it, then Brian will need to edit two posts! Muahahahaha, down with censorship! The revolution has begun.

J

J5ive

yes thats right, we get sack whacked for everything over here. I was thinking of getting one too...

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
Brian HCM#1 said:
Thats fine, but its not fair to show those prices to the ones who have to pay over wholesale for them.
What not fair?
most people have to pay the complete bill. What's wrong with knowing the markup? isn't it more unfair to withhold info from people?
Any secrets to hide?

Rik

Turbo Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Because too many immature people will walk in to shops spouting "I know you can buy xxxx product for $xxx, so sell it to me for $xxx+1". Plus everyone seems to think bikes can run the same markup as computers (which is hardly anything), which is a bit unreasonable with the industry in its current state.

Edit: just to give you an idea of how borked .au pricing is, a Dorado DH is worth $2999, and Sherman Slider+ $1699. So that should give you a better idea of how the Fox will retail in the US.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Oh well, in Norway it sits at 3500$. Manitou is just weird up here.
888 is about 1100$ which is very decent.
So somewhere in between consumer and the USA, someone is making alot of money on Manipoo ;-)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BadFastard said:
What not fair?
most people have to pay the complete bill. What's wrong with knowing the markup? isn't it more unfair to withhold info from people?
Any secrets to hide?
There are no secrets to hide, obviously you don't own a retail business or you'd see what I was saying. Of course theres going to be a markup, but as a consumer, if a product lists for $2500 and you get it for $1900, you think your getting a kick ass deal, however if you found out that products cost was $799, you'd be pissed off and would want more $ off that price even though $1900 was a great deal as far as retail list goes. How would you feel about ordering bike parts on line and seeing "our cost".......$300......"your price" $750, I don't think it would sit well.

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Import from USA if prices are astronomical in your country and pay the customs, shipping and VAT yourself.

I am buying a whole SGS Team bike for the same price as the world cup frame alone in this country. Most things in the USA are much much cheaper.

Admittedly it is the SGS team which through its distribution in the USA (or rather lack of CS) makes it very cheap anyway, and now with the 20% sale it is even cheaper.

Sure I dont get the customer service but I pay half the price.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
BadFastard said:
What not fair?
Any secrets to hide?
No one likes to hear that other people pay less than they do and there's nothing they can do about it. That discourages purchasing, especially from retailers. Consumers feel like they're getting ripped off because they don't take into account what it costs on top of buying stock to run a store, staff it, and sit on inventory.

When you post stuff like that, you make it harder for dealers to make a living, even though they're being fair and reasonable and barely squeaking by.

In this case, ignorance is bliss.

Jul 17, 2003
Salt Lake City
There's a very simple reason why you're not supposed to post wholesale prices on message boards like this. Have you ever noticed how often online retailers, yours truly included, post "call for pricing" or something similar? This is because manufacturers don't want people advertising below MSRP so that you don't have some company (let's call them "Shmooperblow") buying in ridiculously high bulk quantities and undercutting everybody else in the market.

Now, let us assume that everybody who wants to buy a Fox DH40 somehow got ahold of the cost on the fork. I am going to make some numbers up to illustrate my point. Let's say cost on the fork is $600 (clearly this is not what actual cost will be). Let's also say that Shmooperblow is buying the forks 100 at a time, and is getting them for $400. However, everybody else is only buying 5 - 20 units at a time so they're paying basic wholesale, or right near that $600 mark. So people start calling companies and saying "Well I KNOW that wholesale is only $600, sell it to me for $700, you're still making a hundred bucks." Then the bike shop guys get pisses because everybody is calling asking for the super-bro hookdown on the fork. And they are forced to sell it for $100 over wholesale, even though they still have to pay shipping on the fork (about $10), keep it in the store and increase overhead, pay the sales guy $6 an hour to listen to somebody spout for 30 minutes about how he deserves a break on the price, etc etc. So the shop is almost making nothing on the fork when all is said and done.

Meanwhile, people are calling Shmooperblow with the same demands and they're like "Hey, $700 is almost keystone on what we pay for them. Sure, I'll sell you a fork for $700."

And Shmooperblow becomes Standard Oil of the bicycle industry and everybody loses, except for Mr Rockafeller, who doesn't even really ride his bike, and thinks downhillers are all a bunch of redneck idiots, so he starts buying full-face helmets that don't pass DOT or SNELL tests so that we will go huck ourselves off a cliff with our new $700 DH40 and DIE when the helmet explodes.

Anyway, don't post wholesale prices. Consumers don't need to know whole sale on jeans from the Gap, they don't need to know wholesale on Rolex watches, they don't need to know it for Fox downhill forks. In my humble opinion.

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
I think the lucky few who can get themselves EP deals or whatever should keep it to themselves. In other industries individuals can be fired or dismissed for releasing such information.