Quantcast

Banshee Legend in Team Green, Pics and Ride Report

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Santa came Wednesday! Immediately booked Thursday and Friday off from work so I could build her up and bed her in... :biggrin: Here are some pics and a ride report from the weekend...

Banshee Legend Mk1

Size: Large (Rider: 6'3")
Fork: Stock Boxxer Team ('cept for decals)
Shock: Cane Creek Double Barrel – heavy steel spring
Stem: 50 mm Point 1 direct mount (lovely!)
Bars: Sunline V1 (745 mm)
Brakes: Formula The One (180 mm)
Drivetrain: Gravity Lights (170 mm) with 38T back to Ultegra 27-12 cassette and mech, MRP G2 chainguide
Wheels: Industry 9 with Swiss 6.1d
Tires: 2.7 Maxxis Minions DHF front and rear, super tacky, light tubes

Weight: 39.5 lbs

I hopped on the Legend and two things surprised me in my first parking lot test. First is the acceleration. The combination of the CCDB, quick engagement of the I9 rear hub, back end stiffness and high virtual pivot suspension means this thing just takes off at any hint of pressure on the pedals. There’s no noticeable bob even in a standing sprint, and it doesn’t feel like your putting extra tension into the chain either. The nearest thing I can compare it to is a V10, and I’ve got to say it pedals even lighter! It feels like my 6” bike. I’ve let a few people ride it and the pedalling is always the first thing they mention.

The second thing I noticed is for a bike with such a slack (64 degrees measured), long (47 1/8” measured) and low racing geometry is how playful the bike is. The front end comes up easily and you can hop around on it. It feels way more light and nimble than I was expecting. I didn’t expect that, especially from the CCDB from what I’ve read, but it’s a good feeling.

Get this baby on the track and it shines even more. Again, the pedalling is the best part – anywhere and everywhere this bike is ready to accelerate. The cornering is fantastic as well – very predictable and precise. I can place the bike exactly where I want to. The bike feels light in the corners as well, very easy to modulate the lean angle, possibly because the CG is so low. I was riding 2.7 minions on a wet and slippy courses, so I did a fair amount of drifting, and not being exactly of Sam Hill’s calibre I was surprised how easily I could control the drift, although that could be down to the tires as well. But I could sense just the amount of traction they had and adjust my angle of attack accordingly.

I haven’t spent much time in the air yet – I’m not really a big air kinda guy, more of a ground hugger. I’m still finding the front to rear balance point in the air, as the damping on the front and especially rear is still new to me, but the CCDB didn’t feel as “dead” as I thought it would on the take offs.

The cockpit on this bike is way different than I’m used to. It’s set up fairly low (could go lower) and wide (745 mm). Being quite lanky, I’m liking the wide bars, not so much for leverage, but for the attack position they put you in. They get you a bit lower on the front and I found it easier to come forward when I needed to weight the front wheel – like they’d opened up my chest. I prefer a longer cockpit to get the power down, and I’m running a 50 mm direct mount stem. I’d say the cockpit feels pretty medium, definitely not long, and a find myself riding a bit back of center most of the time. The front end lofts really easily and I can feel exactly what’s going on down under the rear tire. Considering my height, I think they got the geometry just about right for what the average guy wants. And pardon the cliché, but this is one of those bikes that you feel your “in” it, not “on” it.

We’ve only got one small rock garden to play with at my local hill, so I’ve got limited info on the suspension performance on big hits. What I can say is that on my last run I was having a blistering top section and came in hot and off line in this rock garden. I lofted the front just a little but the Boxxer still went “thunck” on a very hard hit. But I didn’t feel it in the rear, must have just sucked it up. Still haven’t checked to see if I’ve dinked the front 6.1d rim – I’m afraid to look!

So what’s the bottom line? My friends are pissed. They used to be neck and neck with me, and now I’m 4 seconds in front of them, and that’s on a short track! Lovin’ it… And this bike get’s a lot of attention. The finish is the best I’ve ever seen on any bike. You should see the green metal flake in the sunlight!

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Lovely buildup Aaron - I remember you mentioning getting a banshee a while ago at stilecop.

You have pm...

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
That is one beautiful build! I'm looking forward to reading more ride reports after some more time in the saddle.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Banshee have come a long way! Sick bike and nice report. Anyone got reports on the Rampant (DS 4x bike)?? It looks awsome.

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
well....looks nice...and first reports sound also pretty good...but the price we heard at eurobike didn´t sound that nice at all...2600 euro for the frame without shock ( http://shock-therapy.com/dba/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_26&products_id=314 )...hope thats not true ??
the prototype at eurobike also didn´t look that fine at all....it´s the welding seam which didn´t impress us ( http://www.downhill-board.com/attachwin.php?aid=25186&d=1220860431&ad=bt&adh=110 ) ...just for eurobike or also on production bikes ?

so I hope that negative facts about the bike will not become reality because I really want one ;)

Last edited:

Terrorfirma

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
the prototype at eurobike also didn´t look that fine at all....it´s the welding seam which didn´t impress us ( http://www.downhill-board.com/attachwin.php?aid=25186&d=1220860431&ad=bt&adh=110 ) ...just for eurobike or also on production bikes ?
Actually its not welded on the inside -no need. Its just as a long weld is laid down as it gets hotter it will start to go all the way through and thats what your seeing. If you were able to turn your bike inside out you'd see the samething. The hand weld is all done on the underside.

Attachments

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
LOL...green for the money, gold for the honeys... :biggrin:

I call her my lean green money machine...

Hacktastic, Banshee says 14" for BB height, but I forgot to measure it...will try to do that for you tonight. I thought I would be clipping stuff at 14" because I'm not used to the new wave of low BBs, but no problems yet...

And no, I'm not austrailian, but I do run Minion DHF front and rear :brow:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Tough to answer that on the wheelbase, as the whole bike is a different feel from what I'm used to. I've been riding a 6" trail bike for the past few years, so jumping on a downhill racing machine is very different. I rode Cannock (right, no laughing please) on Friday and Saturday (with Peaty and Bryceland at a charity event, see told you you shouldn't laugh) and...

I was expecting the bike to be really sluggish and out of place at lower speeds, but it doesn't feel that way at all. I think the low weight, low CG, and good pedalling make the bike feel more nimble than the geometry suggests. Being a tall guy though, I think I feel the effect of the longer wheelbase less than most.

I must admit, there is a tight and slow section with two lines, and I didn't take the tight slow sharp turn because I had more speed coming in and was little worried about the wide bars, but my line choice may have been subconsciously influenced by the how the bike turns with the long wheelbase and slack angles as well. That's a really tight and slow bit though...the kind you might see only once or twice in a race season.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
310g isn't that bad, my FSA 800mm bars were freakin 400g!

What size chainring are you running btw? I've got a 37t on mine and I find the rear end actually lifts slightly when you crank hard, though it's only really noticeable on smooth surfaces (like pedalling on a road or whatever). Get one of your mates to watch you crank along a flat smooth surface and see if they notice what I'm talking about, cos I'm interested to see how much it would change from using a different chainring. Having just spent the weekend at one of the rockiest tracks we have, I'm thinking the imperfect pedalling is well and truly offset by the fact that the bike is very good at avoiding hanging up on big rocks. Also how much do you weigh, what spring are you using, and how much sag does that get you?

Oh and green looks unbelievably tits... only one guy down here got green, when the rest of us saw it we were like "ahhhhh crap, should have chosen that".

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
Sorry, I'm lost. I just did?
Doh... sorry. Don't have phone number, but
General Inquiries - info@bansheebikes.com
Sales & Marketing - jay@bansheebikes.com
Technical Sales - keith@bansheebikes.com

Socket, I'm running a 38T in the front and a 27-12 in the rear. So it's a fairly high chainline. I haven't had anyone watch it, but having had a few bikes that you can feel "lift" under hard pedalling (esp. say in granny ring on a high pivot 6" bike), I can say I don't feel any "lift". It just has that solid feeling when you get on the pedals. I don't know what chainring combo Keith tuned the virtual pivot for, but I must be pretty close to it given my current sag.

Oh, and I weight 185 lbs with kit...but I don't know the spring rate. Will check for you. And my sag is, ummmm, "feels about right." Better check that as well then... (I've not been very helpful lol.)

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Doh... sorry. Don't have phone number, but
General Inquiries - info@bansheebikes.com
Sales & Marketing - jay@bansheebikes.com
Technical Sales - keith@bansheebikes.com

Socket, I'm running a 38T in the front and a 27-12 in the rear. So it's a fairly high chainline. I haven't had anyone watch it, but having had a few bikes that you can feel "lift" under hard pedalling (esp. say in granny ring on a high pivot 6" bike), I can say I don't feel any "lift". It just has that solid feeling when you get on the pedals. I don't know what chainring combo Keith tuned the virtual pivot for, but I must be pretty close to it given my current sag.

Oh, and I weight 185 lbs with kit...but I don't know the spring rate. Will check for you. And my sag is, ummmm, "feels about right." Better check that as well then... (I've not been very helpful lol.)
Yeah fair enough. I found that it's not particularly noticeable to the feel, but it is pretty visible (esp if you're not running enough sag). A few of my mates have commented on it too. A 38t would be marginally better than my 37t too cos of the slightly higher chainline. Keith said it was designed for a 38-40t ring, I reckon with a 40 it'd be pretty good.

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
I have mine set up with a 40 tooth, and it is not at all noticable, just feels like a solid pedal platform... until you are going full speed through the rough stuff, where the suspension works like it should. As Steve said, i designed it around a 38-40 tooth chainring.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah I saw their website, I was looking for a phone number that doesn't seem to exist...

Hesh To Steel

Monkey
Dec 12, 2007
Hell's Kitchen
I was just looking at that frame on their website the other day and thinking it looks awesome. Your build also looks awesome.

I'm curious as to what the wheelpath is like. Is it rearward at all? Also, what will the differences be between this version and the MKII?

Last edited:

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
The wheelpath is rearward for the first 60% of the travel, then arcs forward to limit the chainstretch and pedal kickback experienced through very rough terrain.

As for difference between the MKI and MKII... well, not even I know that yet, and I'm the designer. It depends on rider feedback, but I already have a few ideas.

klamsi

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
As for difference between the MKI and MKII... well, not even I know that yet
forget the unecessary cnc-work at bb-area and give him a nice and clean look....and yeah...save some weight...thats always good ;) :)

builttoride

Chimp
Jan 21, 2007
It is not unnecessary CNC machine work, its just tool paths. I don't really want to go too much lighter, I think 8.2lbs for a DH frame is good enough for now. I want this frame to be strong enough to take at least a season.