Quantcast

Barels secret weapon...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
chicodude said:
Please tell me you get the joke....

That's what he gets for thinkin' he's too good to run a bash ring.

:oink:
If you look, you will see he does indeed have a taco on that guide. It would be damn hard to hit a chainring and do that much damage with one of those on there. You'd have to miss the taco, and still get the ring 1cm away...

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
Kanter said:
The chainring looks oblong or is it the just the pic?
Photoshop.

If the chainring really was oblong light that, then it would contact the chainguide roller.

One of my clunker bikes has biopace, crazy stuff.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Could someone explain Bio-pace a little better?

I thought it had something to do with.....

The chainring is oblong so you get a better stroke while pushing the pedal down.

ThePriceSeliger said:
Is Peat wearing the Royal Racing jersey still?
Petey will more than likely always wear royal kit because he owns a good bit of the company. Royal was just bought out by Valencia Sports Group (661) and so it will finaly be a worldwide type of thing instead of mosty U.K., we could all be sporting Royal colors soon.
Long live the king (i mean Peaty):p

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
wingman24 said:
Petey will more than likely always wear royal kit because he owns a good bit of the company. Royal was just bought out by Valencia Sports Group (661) and so it will finaly be a worldwide type of thing instead of mosty U.K., we could all be sporting Royal colors soon.
Long live the king (i mean Peaty):p
Won't that cause problems with Santa Cruz Syndicate? I also thought Peatey sold his part off? If Valencia bought it, I guess he want to keep a little so he can make some money now it is world wide. I wouldn't mind wearing Royal Colors.
Long live the king!

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
i can't tell if this is serious. the chainring is bent from an impact. there is a small bash gaurd on the bottom of the guide but it did not stop the damage caused by a rock or root.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
slobeone said:
i can't tell if this is serious. the chainring is bent from an impact. there is a small bash gaurd on the bottom of the guide but it did not stop the damage caused by a rock or root.

The chainring in NOT bent. It is an oblong shape to maximize stroke. Read the article Transend posted the link for.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
zedro said:
uhh, yeah isnt that what i said:"Biopace chainwheels have the small radius engaged when the cranks are horizontal, the large when they are vertical. " The pic shows the opposite.
I understood you meant his description wasn't. And ya, it is the opposite of biopace, the patented "knee destroyer" chainring.

And also, it isn't bent. There is also no way it could work with that chainguide. It would either jam, or drop the chain depending on if you set it up for the high part, or low part.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The pic of the chainring does make sense though. You would want a easier or smaller gear when the cranks are vertical and a harder or bigger gear when the cranks are horizontal.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Kanter said:
The pic of the chainring does make sense though. You would want a easier or smaller gear when the cranks are vertical and a harder or bigger gear when the cranks are horizontal.
read the Sheldon article, that logic only works in a static analysis, dynamically you actually want the reverse.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It looks like an Osymetric ring, they started to show up on the roadie guys bikes about 2 years ago, i had heard he had a couple DH guys looking testing them The idea is to optimizew the shape during the power portion of the pedlaing cycling.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
I haven't seen the LG1 in person, but it looks like the top idler is prpetty big, maybe the ring is aways in it, even with the shape change.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Zutroy said:
I haven't seen the LG1 in person, but it looks like the top idler is prpetty big, maybe the ring is aways in it, even with the shape change.
I was trying to figure that out by looking at the image (pictureing a circle in my mind), it is hard to tell. It looks like it wouldn't be in there the whole time, but it may be touch and go. The angle of the photo isn't helping.

The top idler is pretty deep, probably about the same coverage as an front derrailleur would give.

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
think what you might i actually came up with the idea and posted about it here on RM around 2001, after i put an actual biopace chainring on a disco volante and figured with some adjustment, it could be set up in such a way that it countered the bobbing that occured when pedalling, actually this is fun because some people call pedal-induced-bob "biopacing"

it would be interesting to hear more about this concept.