Quantcast

BC cup finals, planning/roll call??

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
So talk of this race has been in another thread. Thought it was time to make its own.

Who is planning on going?
What days/times?
Where do you plan to stay?
When do you plan to come home?

A few options:

1. Leave seattle friday eve after work and take a ferry to nanimao. Get a hotel in nanimo, or in courtenay (sp?), or at resort.. Its 90 minutes by road to the resort from nanimo according to the website. Im not sure how far from Nanimo to Courtenay... More expensive, but not as stressful.

2. Get up early Saturday morning.....real early!!, catch ferry, drive all the way up. Practice is from 11-8, but closed for pro only 12-1:30. This is a chaper way to go, but way more rushed.

Links: (clipped from other thread)
Ferry schedule: Vancouver - Nanaimo (Tsawwassen-Duke Point )http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/mainland/tsdp-current.html

BC Cup finals: www.bccupfinals.com

Schedule of events: http://www.bccupfinals.com/ITTDSchedule.pdf

Accommodations: http://www.bccupfinals.com/accom.php

DH specific: http://www.bccupfinals.com/dh.php

Directions by car: http://www.mountwashington.ca/summer04/travel/car.cfm

Course map.

Megan Black

I rocked whistler in a mini skirt and f$@* me boot
Jul 28, 2004
Beaver-town, OR
I'm in for the race. I'm going to try my damndest to leave after work Friday (5ish) but I still don't know for sure.

If I do, I'll be yer DD, I hate drinking!

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Oly, since Tyler's out do you wannt ride up with us?

It's your call on when to leave, since you have farther to drive, but I vote for Friday night.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
As a fairly regular island traveler, allow me to drop some friendly advice.

If you are leaving Friday after work (5ish) from the south end, I’d suggest taking the Slo-Ho out of Port Angeles at 9:30 PM. You will get to about the same time and it will cost about the same (based on car, driver and one passenger), but border crossing is considerably smoother. The wait is also very short due to the fact that the boat is rarely very full on that late sailing and the worst-case scenario is that you are only crossing the border with the amount of cars that can fit on the boat. Unlike the Peace Arch or Truck crossing, which is somewhat unpredictable. I have missed ferries to the island because of border line-ups. It sucks.

Also to those who travel with their bikes on roof racks. BC ferries considers this “over height” and charges a premium for it.

Out of the Tsawwassen terminal it’s 58.25 for your vehicle instead of 35.75

From Horseshoe bay, they really soak you

# Important Note for drivers of Overheight and Commercial Vehicles: A surcharge will be applied to vehicles over 7' high at Horseshoe Bay terminal when traveling to Nanaimo on weekend/holiday periods in peak season. An overheight passenger vehicle will be $72.75 for the first 20 feet and $3.65 per foot thereafter.

NateH

Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Tad, myself, and probably Luke are going to be leaving Friday night, driving to port roberts, taking the ferry over to courteny and then driving up to mt. washington where we will most likely be camp next to a road somewhere. I'm curious to see how everyone from down here does, bc classes are way harder because of their system for advancement.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
brock said:
As a fairly regular island traveler, allow me to drop some friendly advice.

If you are leaving Friday after work (5ish) from the south end, I’d suggest taking the Slo-Ho out of Port Angeles at 9:30 PM. You will get to about the same time and it will cost about the same (based on car, driver and one passenger), but border crossing is considerably smoother. The wait is also very short due to the fact that the boat is rarely very full on that late sailing and the worst-case scenario is that you are only crossing the border with the amount of cars that can fit on the boat. Unlike the Peace Arch or Truck crossing, which is somewhat unpredictable. I have missed ferries to the island because of border line-ups. It sucks.

Also to those who travel with their bikes on roof racks. BC ferries considers this “over height” and charges a premium for it.

Out of the Tsawwassen terminal it’s 58.25 for your vehicle instead of 35.75

From Horseshoe bay, they really soak you
Brock, how long does it take to drive from Tacoma to PA?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Snacks. Ill jump in the white truck. How much more room? Im up for what ever as far as getting there. I think heading up friday night would be best just incase saturday morning gets bogged down. If it gets too late, we can shoot for nanimo as a place to get a hotel?.....thats if we go through PA. Just seems like alot more driving that way, but as brock says maybe the ease of crossing is better. Ill leave the plan up to the drivers.........

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Snacks. Ill jump in the white truck. How much more room? Im up for what ever as far as getting there. I think heading up friday night would be best just incase saturday morning gets bogged down. If it gets too late, we can shoot for nanimo as a place to get a hotel?.....thats if we go through PA. Just seems like alot more driving that way, but as brock says maybe the ease of crossing is better. Ill leave the plan up to the drivers.........
Brock's way sounds better for border crossings and ferry riding for sure, but if we drove around how would we meet? Where would you leave the truck?

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Megan Black said:
I'm in for the race. I'm going to try my damndest to leave after work Friday (5ish) but I still don't know for sure.

If I do, I'll be yer DD, I hate drinking!
And here I was trying to get her drunk last weekend (offering her a beer) ...oops! :o: Sorry Megan, lol, the club had water and pop too.

Good luck to everyone that goes....I am camping at Deception Pass that weekend with an old HS buddy....agreed to it over 4 months ago...:rolleyes:

Minimum I would go up and take pics....My rotec is in post season tear down.

Tear it up! USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA USA

Remember you have to wear the Stars and Stripes as a cape and sport mohawks. :D It is what the Canadians did at WInthrop

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Snacks said:
Brock's way sounds better for border crossings and ferry riding for sure, but if we drove around how would we meet? Where would you leave the truck?
It might make more sence to go north. I can leave my truck at your place. We should shoot for a boat, but still hope for 1 later chance incase we missed it. ALso getting a hotel straight away in nanimo might be cheaper than Mt wa? Or even go up to cortenay....... Can you call that place on the MTN? See if its free or booked? That would make our decisions where to stay easier. Courtenay is 30min or so from Mt wa. Nanimo 90minutes. ......

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
It might make more sence to go north. I can leave my truck at your place. We should shoot for a boat, but still hope for 1 later chance incase we missed it. ALso getting a hotel straight away in nanimo might be cheaper than Mt wa? Or even go up to cortenay....... Can you call that place on the MTN? See if its free or booked? That would make our decisions where to stay easier. Courtenay is 30min or so from Mt wa. Nanimo 90minutes. ......
I'll call that one place on the MTN and see how they are booked for that weekend. I'll check on a few places in Cortenay and Nanimo.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Damon - although it sounds like you guys are leaning toward the BC ferries, if you guys did decide to go the P.A. route, you are welcome to meet kevin and amy at my place and leave your truck here if you need a good meeting place not far off the actual driving route.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bibs said:
yea! Ive got a song stuck in my head now......somting about a carpool or semis or somthing...:D

Da Bibs :thumb:
:rolleyes: If you mean that 70's country classic CONVOY I am going to crack up...

Convoy
(C.W. McCall, B. Fries, C. Davis)
[On the CB]
Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck. You gotta copy on me, Pig Pen, c'mon? Ah, yeah, 10-4, Pig Pen, fer shure, fer shure. By golly, it's clean clear to Flag Town, c'mon. Yeah, that's a big 10-4 there, Pig Pen, yeah, we definitely got the front door, good buddy. Mercy sakes alive, looks like we got us a convoy...

Was the dark of the moon on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth pullin' logs
Cab-over Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We is headin' for bear on I-one-oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky Town
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"And I'm about to put the hammer down."

[Chorus]
'Cause we got a little convoy
Rockin' through the night.
Yeah, we got a little convoy,
Ain't she a beautiful sight?
Come on and join our convoy
Ain't nothin' gonna get in our way.
We gonna roll this truckin' convoy
'Cross the U-S-A.
Convoy!

[On the CB]
Ah, breaker, Pig Pen, this here's the Duck. And, you wanna back off them hogs? Yeah, 10-4, 'bout five mile or so. Ten, roger. Them hogs is gettin' in-tense up here.

By the time we got into Tulsa Town,
We had eighty-five trucks in all.
But they's a roadblock up on the cloverleaf,
And them bears was wall-to-wall.
Yeah, them smokies is thick as bugs on a bumper;
They even had a bear in the air!
I says, "Callin' all trucks, this here's the Duck.
"We about to go a-huntin' bear."

[Chorus]

[On the CB]
Ah, you wanna give me a 10-9 on that, Pig Pen? Negatory, Pig Pen; you're still too close. Yeah, them hogs is startin' to close up my sinuses. Mercy sakes, you better back off another ten.

Well, we rolled up Interstate 44
Like a rocket sled on rails.
We tore up all of our swindle sheets,
And left 'em settin' on the scales.
By the time we hit that Chi-town,
Them bears was a-gettin' smart:
They'd brought up some reinforcements
From the Illinoise National Guard.
There's armored cars, and tanks, and jeeps,
And rigs of ev'ry size.
Yeah, them chicken coops was full'a bears
And choppers filled the skies.
Well, we shot the line and we went for broke
With a thousand screamin' trucks
An' eleven long-haired Friends a' Jesus
In a chartreuse micra-bus.
*LOL~Rhino*

[On the CB]
Ah, Rubber Duck to Sodbuster, come over. Yeah, 10-4, Sodbuster? Lissen, you wanna put that micra-bus right behind that suicide jockey? Yeah, he's haulin' dynamite, and he needs all the help he can get. *Double LOL~Rhino*

Well, we laid a strip for the Jersey shore
And prepared to cross the line
I could see the bridge was lined with bears
But I didn't have a dog-goned dime.
I says, "Pig Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck.
"We just ain't a-gonna pay no toll."
So we crashed the gate doing ninety-eight
I says "Let them truckers roll, 10-4."

[Chorus]

Convoy! Ah, 10-4, Pig Pen, what's your twenty?
Convoy! OMAHA? Well, they oughta know what to do with them hogs out there fer shure. Well, mercy
Convoy! sakes, good buddy, we gonna back on outta here, so keep the bugs off your glass and the bears off your...
Convoy! tail. We'll catch you on the flip-flop. This here's the Rubber Duck on the side.
Convoy! We gone. 'Bye,'bye.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
oly said:
thats if we go through PA. Just seems like alot more driving that way, but as brock says maybe the ease of crossing is better. Ill leave the plan up to the drivers.........
Tacoma-P.A./Victoria-Nanaimo Route = 172 miles

Tacoma-Tsawwassen = 167.5 miles

I really don't care what you guys do ;) just trying to provide options for my peeps based on my experience.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
brock said:
Tacoma-P.A./Victoria-Nanaimo Route = 172 miles

Tacoma-Tsawwassen = 167.5 miles

I really don't care what you guys do ;) just trying to provide options for my peeps based on my experience.
Brock,

I appreciate the tips. I know you've made the trip alot too.

A few things i guess i know/have heard about the trip.

Tacoma to Van= all freeway Headed North on a friday...Traffic in everett, but thats short lived..... Can also take truck crossing then cut over avoiding Peace arch.
Tacoma to PA= Some freeway, but lots of 2lane windy RV riddled road. Also Dealing with Friday South traffic.... seattle, tacoma, narrows.... YUK!
PA to VIC= slower ferry that has limited crossing times
Vic to Nanimo= 70 miles of winding 2 lane roads with a few passing areas.
Van to Nanimo= 2hr crossing on ferry, no extra drive, more ferry departure times.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
oly said:
Brock,

I appreciate the tips. I know you've made the trip alot too.

A few things i guess i know/have heard about the trip.

Tacoma to Van= all freeway Headed North on a friday...Traffic in everett, but thats short lived..... Can also take truck crossing then cut over avoiding Peace arch.
Tacoma to PA= Some freeway, but lots of 2lane windy RV riddled road. Also Dealing with Friday South traffic.... seattle, tacoma, narrows.... YUK!
PA to VIC= slower ferry that has limited crossing times
Vic to Nanimo= 70 miles of winding 2 lane roads with a few passing areas.
Van to Nanimo= 2hr crossing on ferry, no extra drive, more ferry departure times.

All very good points. Luckily for guys the Tsawassen-Duke Point ferry leaves late. The last one at 10:45? I doubt you'll make the 8:15. Not with traffic and border.

Given that you are riding with people from the north, I'd agree that it is probably your best option.

If it were me, leaving from T-Town, I'd be going P.A. on the way up, B.C. Ferries on the way back. The narrows is no big deal (with passengers you can get on at Jackson right by my house) and the highway from vic-nan has no traffic at that time of night.

Either way, have fun up there and do good.

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
oly said:
Thanks again B-rock! Wanna come up and Freeride and take pictures??
I'm doing a four wheeled weekend this weekend.

I'm going to the Ballard Bowl Bash/Riot this Saturday and probably Burnside Sunday.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
oly said:
Lame.....

WIM's super D is the same weekend as BC cup final. I still prefer to do the BC race......
Yeah super short notice......what less than 2 weeks? :rolleyes:

I think you time and $$$ might be better spent at the BC race. Unless you want to go see the bands too.

Me, I could care less.....and a 7hr drive just makes it that less tempting.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
trailhacker said:
I haven't looked at any schedules, but isn't the ferry out of Horseshoe bay in North Van to Nanaimo the better option as far as sailing from CA?
Maybe we need a local to advise us (we already know brocks stance). It just seems like traveling across the city either direct through, or around on HWY 1 isnt worth the 30 minute difference in the crossing time (HS bay is approx 30 minutes shorter)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
oly said:
Maybe we need a local to advise us (we already know brocks stance). It just seems like traveling across the city either direct through, or around on HWY 1 isnt worth the 30 minute difference in the crossing time (HS bay is approx 30 minutes shorter)
Would Mocha know?

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
Universe said:
Definatley avoid driving through Vancouver at all costs.

Listen to the man!

Tsawwassen will be the better option for sure.

Actually unless you leave early Friday, it's probably your only option. The last boat out of horseshoe Bay is 9PM.