Quantcast

Beacon Blowout!!!!!!!!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Here it is. Hot off the presses. The official Beacon Blowout DH Race Flyer/Registration form. Please feel free to print it off, mass produce and post in your favorite bike shop. It's formatted for legal size paper. Thanks for everyone's support and hope to see you there! Email me with questions, or call the Bicycle Butler. Address and phone number is on the flyer.

Attachments

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
I raced last year at the Beacon Blast off and had a great time. Wonder which course is the race to going to be held on?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
For a "printer-friendly" PDF version of the flyer (suitable for framing, wallpapering or posting in you shop/workplace or corner c-store), click on the icon:

See you there!

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
dirtmover said:
I raced last year at the Beacon Blast off and had a great time. Wonder which course is the race to going to be held on?
Minor Threat is the man behind the course and rumor has it that there will be a mix of the old course and the new. Not sure of which is which yet, but it should be good to mix it up a little!

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
The goal is to use the upper half of the new course with the lower half of the old. This gives you the new upper through the Twisted Sister (berm-to-berm) and then cross over to the old so we can catch the sand dip jump and beyond. The courses touch together right after the Twisted, so we should be able to flow it together well.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I'd call it hardtail-friendly - - but you might want to check with an HT pilot who's ridden it, though. Lower half of old course has one 5'-to-flat drop, but the rest have trannys. And you'll be a jumping fool on the doubles leading up to and including the Twisted on the upper half.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
freeridekid said:
so if you're under 18 you have to race beginner?
I guess that part is a little fuzzy on the entry form. But no, you don't have to race beginner. It's just like WIM was, under 18 age groups for beginner only....then Jr Sport and Jr Expert which are both just 18 and under but not broken down. Make sense?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
I was using the wording Gino gave me; but I should probably revise the form and repost. Wording will probably be:
14 & Under Beginner
15-18 Beginner
18 & Under (Jr. Sport & Jr. Ex.)
Will try to do this weekend. Sorry for the confusion.
Doug

freeridekid

Monkey
Oct 18, 2003
U-District, WA
MinorThreat said:
I was using the wording Gino gave me; but I should probably revise the form and repost. Wording will probably be:
14 & Under Beginner
15-18 Beginner
18 & Under (Jr. Sport & Jr. Ex.)
Will try to do this weekend. Sorry for the confusion.
Doug
no problem, i guess it makes more sense when i look at it again

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
If you click on my link above to the 'printer-friendly' PDF version, you now get the revised entry form with ages/classes laid out a little more clearly. Or you can save off this jpeg version:

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
so we circle one from age and one from class then? What about hardtails? suppose I ride hardtail but I want to be in the 15-18 beginner class?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Gotta choose. Hardtail is Hardtail - - as the form says "all ages together," so you'd go against everyone on a HT. If you're a 15-18 beginner, that's where you'll wanna be. You'll be competing against suspension riders, but you're tough - - you'll do fine. Trust me, you won't be the only HT in that bracket.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
No shuttles? Bugger. If I wasn't on the other side of the globe I would totally rock it again.
Yo Brad was that you crashing in last months MBA??? There was a pic of some guy at beacon riding a turner like yours doing the endo thing on the lower section below the rock 'waterfall'. Whatchu riding these days?

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
bikerpunk98199 said:
bent^biker do you ride w/ connor and dan?

edit:if so you should bring them i go to school w/ connor and have riden w/ dan before
Ya, I ride with them. I don't know if they will be going yet.

Oct 7, 2005
Bozeman MT
Sweet,

I'm glad to hear beacon is gonna have a race. I should have a crew of around 10 riders there from the Bozeman MT area. What kind of volunteer time are we talking about?

Gary

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
HTnickS said:
yep im coming, is there online registration?
No online registration. Sorry. We have talked about setting up a Paypal Account for people who want to pay with plastic. If enough folks pipe up requesting it, we can probably get it set up.

But for now....registration is the old fashioned way. Print form, fill out and mail with check.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
alwaysbroncin19 said:
Sweet,

What kind of volunteer time are we talking about?

Gary
Ya really, are we still going to have enough practice time if we're volunteering saturday?

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
bent^biker said:
Ya really, are we still going to have enough practice time if we're volunteering saturday?
Here is the deal on volunteering: we are looking for a solid four-hour shift of volunteering. If you have a friend or a parent willing to do the volunteer shift for you, that will acceptable. If you are willing to commit to something like this, call Tim at the Butler to get on the volunteer list. (If you are volunteering yourself, it would be for part of Saturday's practice - - it's of course not realistic to expect you to vol. on race day).

Also, more news: We will probably make online registration available soon. It will be through Active.com and will carry a $3 surcharge to charge your entry online. I'll do a post when it is officially up and running.

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
ragin-sagin said:
Yo Brad was that you crashing in last months MBA??? There was a pic of some guy at beacon riding a turner like yours doing the endo thing on the lower section below the rock 'waterfall'. Whatchu riding these days?
Bugger, WTF? You're talkin like one of them. Hell ya that was me, I'm big time now. Did Thomas tell you about that? Still got the '04 DHR. Nate's gonna buy the '02 with the Dorado and I'm gonna get a Travis on the way. Can't wait. I've finally started on a DH trail kind of up by where yours was. BTW love the avatar, never gonna be free though. You should see him ride now. He's doing better on his Enduro than he ever did on the Big Hit.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
krustydude said:
Bugger, WTF? You're talkin like one of them. Hell ya that was me, I'm big time now. Did Thomas tell you about that? Still got the '04 DHR. Nate's gonna buy the '02 with the Dorado and I'm gonna get a Travis on the way. Can't wait. I've finally started on a DH trail kind of up by where yours was. BTW love the avatar, never gonna be free though. You should see him ride now. He's doing better on his Enduro than he ever did on the Big Hit.
I am nearly assimilated to the locals...although I don't (regularly) shag sheep. I actually was just thumbing through the mag (on sale for a mere 17 bucks) and noticed the shot looked like beacon....then noticed the rider looked familiar too. Big time baby!
Did you sell the big hit to Thomas? He was talking something about that a while back...
Good to hear Wawa is riding...I just sold my fly a few weeks back and picked up a bargain on a v10. Been riding the tires off my enduro...went through 3 sets this past summer. Great riding here...got some pics up on my site (which hasn't been updated in months) check it out: www.getjealous.com/sagebucks

Atomic Dog

doesn't have a custom title yet.
Oct 22, 2002
In the basement at Weekly World News
krustydude said:
Hell ya that was me, I'm big time now
Brad,

shoot me an email sometime when you're planning on doing some riding. Ever since the ratfink jackhole moved out of the country my bullit has been mostly collecting dust in the garage. I don't live in Kennewick any more, but I'd drive down for a ride. Or meet somewhere or something.

~Matt

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
AS OF 4/14: Props to Trailhacker for streamlining the PDF entry form! If you download it now, you will be able to fill out the registration on your computer. He gave it fill-in fields and clickable check boxes. I accused him of trying to make me look lazy and inept :)

Sorry I have not gotten the online registration up and running yet. Will make every effort to do that today. Thanks to everyone for the positive response to our humble efforts!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
freeridefreak said:
Hey just wondering if there is camping close to the Race course
Not really.

Do NOT stay at the KOA east out in the flats of the valley (a bunch of miles east of Avvondale?). The freaking train and turbine pump on the near by water tower runs off and on all night and is EXTREMELY loud. Even I couldn't sleep. ( not ususally a problem) All the fellow racers that tented with us were not happy the next morning....already exhausted for the days activities.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
You have a couple of other options. One is Riverside State Park. Space may be limited, though, because they'll probably still be in early-season mode. Find out more by clicking here:
http://www.riversidestatepark.org/camping.htm

The other is Liberty Lake County Park (I just found this out myself today) out in the valley. You'll probably have to call the County Parks Dept. to see if it will actually be available for that weekend. Click here for more info:
http://www.spokanecounty.org/parks/parklisting.htm#Liberty

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Also....still waiting to hear back from the Western Region dude from NORBA, but this race will probably be the Washington State DH Championships. Since the Broken Spoke has cancelled their DH, as far as I know we are now the only DH race in the State so we might as well be the Championship! Will let everybody know for sure when we find out.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS UP AND RUNNING! Click on this link on Active.com:

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1315337

I'm pretty sure I have this set up right. If it gives you trouble for any reason, please PM right away so that I can fix it.

Please know ahead of time that registering through Active.com dings you a small $3 fee on top of the entry fee for the convenience. It was the only practical way that we could set it up to accept payment by all manners of plastic. Thanks! -- Doug

krustydude

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
Richland, WA
Atomic Dog said:
shoot me an email sometime when you're planning on doing some riding. Ever since the ratfink jackhole moved out of the country my bullit has been mostly collecting dust in the garage. I don't live in Kennewick any more, but I'd drive down for a ride. Or meet somewhere or something.
what's up? i knew you moved, but no one told me where. we'll have to hook up sometime for sure. we're planning a number of trips this year. jason's all excited about riding again, nate's buying my old turner, and thomas is supposed to be buying the big hit when he gets the money so we'll be travelling around the state.