Quantcast

Bender Broke His Back

Bulldog

Turbo Monkey
Sep 11, 2001
Wisconsin
You know what they say, if you play with fire...

Honestly, he's just another fool who's giving mountain biking more negative exposure. Lump him in with trail pirates, illegal stunt builders and wreckless riders on multi-use trails. We could do without all of them.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
THRILLSEEKA said:
but what I can't handle is the fact that he can't even stradle a bike without blazin up first. I don't care how insane a stunt is, if the rider is stoned he gets no credit from me ever. If you're too scared to do a stunt sober and alert, then maybe that's the mind telling the body that you're in over your head. If ya' gotta be lit up then you shouldn't be doing it. QUOTE]

There are plenty of pros you shouldnt be giving credit to then..

rideagainst

Monkey
Apr 8, 2004
CA
THRILLSEEKA said:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not THRILLED to hear he got hurt. It sucks that he got hurt...HOWEVER: This is a lot like watching the 4 drunk idiots playing Russian Roulette at a party. I watched one of my best friends of 14 years spray his brains all over his pregnant and crying GF because some kid told him he was a pussy if he didn't do atleast one round. It took me about an hour to get over the sadness, she hated him instantly. Bender is doing the same thing, only the dumb die slowly. So why should I sit here and go "Oh my gosh, the guy who still hasn't learned that he can't land anything got hurt??? Wow. What a shocker." F_ck that, I've got worse things to worry about.
Wait, did your friend die with his brains spurting on his pregnant girlfriend's lap? Holy sh!t, that could be the most horrible thing ive ever heard.

SkullCrack

Monkey
Sep 3, 2004
PNW
rideagainst said:
Wait, did your friend die with his brains spurting on his pregnant girlfriend's lap? Holy sh!t, that could be the most horrible thing ive ever heard.
and that it only took him about an hour to get over the sadness...

THRILLSEEKA said:
I watched one of my best friends of 14 years spray his brains all over his pregnant and crying GF because some kid told him he was a pussy if he didn't do atleast one round. It took me about an hour to get over the sadness, she hated him instantly.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
It's hard to feel sad for anyone who can do something so selfish and cold. You didn't have to drive her home trying to make her "feel better" while she's covered in her baby's father's blood and gray matter. She was 4 or 5 months pregnant, wasn't like he didn't know he may be needed soon. Yeah, anger was EASY to feel. I still hate him for it. Every day.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Brian HCM#1 said:
Well, he must have cause you modified my post:nope: :D
Actually, my wife thinks less of him than I do. In fact...I can't think of ANYONE who really likes him when he comes up here...except other potheads, of course.
But none of this is the point of this thread...
Not sure what the point IS...but this is not it.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Bulldog said:
You know what they say, if you play with fire...

Honestly, he's just another fool who's giving mountain biking more negative exposure.
How is that? He does something he loves and it has no effect on your life or anyone elses but himself. How is the negative exposure?

Bender has done more for our sport then most you are giving him credit for. This is comming from a racer not a hucker. His perception of the possible may be alittle on the optimistic side, but whats wrong with that. The dude has a fun on his bike, and if he wants to go bigger then you ever would thats his choice.
Also the comment about him being an aragant ass-hole, that aint true, the man has an attitute but he's no ass-hole.
Bender I hope you heal up and can ride again soon.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Well, I'm definately out of here, I'm getting so sick of talking to little boys who would drop to their knees and suck his cok at first chance. I've tried to talk to him, he's an ass. I've ridden with him, he's as big of a hack as I am, only I'm not sponsored and there's at least a FEW people who like me. For God's sake, I watched him take a full-on "are you OK" digger off of a 4' LADDER DROP. He sucked 5 years ago and if you PAY ATTENTION, he hasn't learned any skill or style since. But that's just my .02...

SCARY

Not long enough
I'm in agreement with Mr.Seeka.How many times does this come up?..Everytime he falls off something big.We all knew it would catch up with him ,and now we can't judge?We all know this stuff has a danger potential.And we all know what stupid looks like too,so whats wrong with a bender a bender.Hell, he's a friggen verb!I respect someone like Krispy more,who stopped when he saw it getting a little crazy and he's just as much a "godfather" as bender.Except he got his s**t together ,got cleaned up (as far as I hear)got a wife and a kid.Make a point and move on.There are plenty of guys who land stuff no-handed-x-up-tabletop ,that bender lands on his head.We all know he looks like a burlap sack of pinto beans rolled off a shear drop.I don't want to rag on somebody witha broken neck and I don't want to praise somebody that dosen't realize he went through the 9 lives about 3 years ago. You don't gotta go big.You gotta land something first.Be an inspiration by showing people that it's ok to evolve as a human a little.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Anybody ever stop to think that maybe it's the sponsors and the video makers that have gotten this dude in trouble? I mean, they throw tons of dough his way, and all he has to do is never say "no" when they point to a drop. Maybe he doesn't have the skeels to hack it with the best in the business, but he's was making a living riding. more power to him if he wants to risk his life for that. it's sad that any rider (or any person) gets banged up. maybe he brought it on himself, but hell, we all take risks. thats what it's about.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Heath Sherratt:
Prayers out to you bro.
I'm with Heath on this one - if this story is true, and Bender really did get some fractured vertebrae, the guy is a fellow human being and deserves to be treated as such. Spinal chord injuries are not only my worst nightmare, but also one shared by a lot of riders on this board.

I sincerely hope he is able to make a full recovery and that all is well with him.

Now, just because he does what he does over and over, shouldn't mean that we turn a callous ear toward an injury suffered by him. Yes, he gets wrecked more than any other rider, but you have to acknowledge his belief and commitment.

Should he be commited? Yea - he's clearly out of his mind trying to do half the jumps he does, but that's HIS choice. He's more than aware of the consequences.

Bender - get well bro.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
seismic said:
Like or not........I hope Bender will recover soon......whatever you think about him he is a fellow MTBer.....
Yeap, and hating is not cool :nope: even if its george bush, hate is as helpful as warm piece of monkey ****.

Oct 8, 2005
Mexico
I just spent the day with Bender in the Hospital and left after Bender was lifeflighted to Provo for spinal surgery which is going on as I type. The x-rays were not clear enough so they did a scan on his spine and found that he fractured his L2. Just as "underground" posted, Bender did brake his ankle in three spots and had surgery for that on Monday.
The Hospital released Bender to us yesterday (tuesday) not knowing he had a broken back??? He was in an abnormal amount of pain. So, this morning we sent him back to the hospital.
The Doctor says he is capable of a close to 100% recovery with 8 weeks of rehab after his surgery.
This email is for people who actually care about Bender's well being and want to know how he is- Not for those who don't have anything better to do than talk sh*t on some forum

WKC

Monkey
Feb 23, 2005
Down in the G-Spot
I don't know what happened to Bender, but any one of you Monkeys to have the f*cking nerve to post bad sh*t about Bender in this thread is an a$shole. Bender is insane, I can't think of any other rider to even attempt some of the sh*t he does, and he should be given support by the mountain-biking community while he heals.

Props Bender. Hope your heal soon.

SCARY

Not long enough
skatetokil said:
Anybody ever stop to think that maybe it's the sponsors and the video makers that have gotten this dude in trouble? I mean, they throw tons of dough his way, and all he has to do is never say "no" when they point to a drop. Maybe he doesn't have the skeels to hack it with the best in the business, but he's was making a living riding. more power to him if he wants to risk his life for that. it's sad that any rider (or any person) gets banged up. maybe he brought it on himself, but hell, we all take risks. thats what it's about.
From what I understand(highschool dropout so...) He lives in a van down by the river and dosen't make much in moolah.....pot maybe.I'll check the videos, but don't remember seeing anyone pushing him face first off a cliff into a pile of money.This stuff is all ego driven ,nobody does this stuff solo.We never see him riding cause thats not why we watch him.If he was doing the same thing on a Mtn board or a pogo stick we ALL be up his ass .But since its on two wheels,we gotta feel all "represented"?.F-that..........And I voted for Bush... twice.And it ranks up there on my personal "Bender"list of life lessons lost.

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
I for one think the guy has opened many eyes in the world of biking. It's the guys like him that inspire the kids and myself alike. I respect people with guts like his. Have any of you haters looked at a sizable drop like he hits regularly? It's big. Damn big. The vids only show his wipouts not his successes. He's done some sick stuff clean. Get well Bender.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
la_cleta said:
I just spent the day with Bender in the Hospital and left after Bender was lifeflighted to Provo for spinal surgery which is going on as I type. The x-rays were not clear enough so they did a scan on his spine and found that he fractured his L2. Just as "underground" posted, Bender did brake his ankle in three spots and had surgery for that on Monday.
The Hospital released Bender to us yesterday (tuesday) not knowing he had a broken back??? He was in an abnormal amount of pain. So, this morning we sent him back to the hospital.
The Doctor says he is capable of a close to 100% recovery with 8 weeks of rehab after his surgery.
This email is for people who actually care about Bender's well being and want to know how he is- Not for those who don't have anything better to do than talk sh*t on some forum
I suppose this is a good thing. :think:

8 weeks isn't that bad for a broken back and ankle. :)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
la_cleta said:
Yeap, and hating is cool in the right context :nope: george bush is as helpful as warm piece of monkey ****.
I fixed your post.

Get well Mr. Bender.

All you people be careful out there. I have a friend who is in a wheel chair for life from one OTB slip on an XC ride. This can happen to ANYONE on a bike.

Keep your bike-karma clean and wish the man well.

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Does anyone know how it happend? was he trying the 100 footer? hope he gets fixed up and recovers.
Thrillseeker I think you have issues and need help, for all we know they guy could have been hit by a car on his way to buy a sandwich.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Oh please. He signed up for it.

"Doing what he loves?" wah wah wah....so was Hitler.

And it's FIBULA, not "fibia"

He'll do it right and finish the job enventually.... which will then precipitate thousands of tribute articles and candle light vigils.....slow motion videos of him eating sh1t set to "Wind Beneath My Wings"

He's not a "fellow rider". He's a human projectile.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
...or pot.

Like I said, I don't want to see anyone hurt, but It's funny how you guys are all like "Oh my gosh, my hero got hurt! I can't believe it!" But it's not like he'll learn. He'll be right up there on the cliff, stoned, ready to let the world watch him crash on a completely useless and time wasting 100 foot drop. And then there'll be another post about him getting hurt, and everyone will be shocked again...for no reason. Man... leave this crap on Pinkbike. I think THIS crap is the reason I bugs me so much!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
MMike said:
Oh please. He signed up for it.

"Doing what he loves?" wah wah wah....so was Hitler.

And it's FIBULA, not "fibia"

He'll do it right and finish the job enventually.... which will then precipitate thousands of tribute articles and candle light vigils.....slow motion videos of him eating sh1t set to "Wind Beneath My Wings"

He's not a "fellow rider". He's a human projectile.
hahaha.... They could end it by hucking his urn off a cliff...and maybe..just maybe, it could roll to the bottom smoothly. HA!

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
THRILLSEEKA said:
...or pot.

Like I said, I don't want to see anyone hurt, but It's funny how you guys are all like "Oh my gosh, my hero got hurt! I can't believe it!" But it's not like he'll learn. He'll be right up there on the cliff, stoned, ready to let the world watch him crash on a completely useless and time wasting 100 foot drop. And then there'll be another post about him getting hurt, and everyone will be shocked again...for no reason. Man... leave this crap on Pinkbike. I think THIS crap is the reason I bugs me so much!
I don't see where anyone has listed him as a hero. I see everyone whorships Peat, and from what I've read his done some stupid stuff too when he's off the bike. Who cares if when he's well he's back on the bike doing what he loves.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
THRILLSEEKA, how old are you?

and you seem to have a lot invested in this thread for not caring about Bender one way or the other.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
THRILLSEEKA said:
hahaha.... They could end it by hucking his urn off a cliff...and maybe..just maybe, it could roll to the bottom smoothly. HA!
you are SO full of hate and anger. You don't happen to go by GoodBoy on some other forums do ya?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
THRILLSEEKA said:

See, when people get hurt........to say stuff like this is tasteless in my opinion !:angry:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
All you negative judgemental haters need to STFU....hopefully nothing as bad ever happens to you...be thankful...D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
THRILLSEEKA said:
...or pot.

Like I said, I don't want to see anyone hurt, but It's funny how you guys are all like "Oh my gosh, my hero got hurt! I can't believe it!"
Show me where anyone used the word "hero" in this thread.

The dude f*cked himself up on the bike. I'd bet there isn't a single person on this forum who hasn't injured themselves while pushing their limits. Anyone who stands laughing at Bender while he's laying in a hospital bed with riding injuries deserves the karma coming to them.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
THRILLSEEKA said:
I thought you were gone, why did you come back? You are so far in left field it's scary. Not too sure what you're problem is, but you sure seem to have a chip on your shoulder, what is it? What's the real problem here?

Is it the pot? Let me just tell you, there are A LOT of pot smokers in the DH race scene--pro and am ranks. If that bothers you, you're probably in the wrong sport.

I've seen Bender out at Bootleg Canyon; where he seemed like a nice guy who really enjoys riding his bike--like the rest of us--with the exception of you.

Personally, I have seen a lot of meaningless ignorant posts in my time, but yours are number one. Your posts on this thread are absurd...