Quantcast

Besides bikes, what do you monkees collect?

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Most everyone already knows about my great love for and collection of modern firearms. What I'm into even more is bladed weapons, particularly the Japanese sword. What do you all collect besides STDs, bikes and the resulting scars? :biggrin:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Shot glasses - I haven't taken them out of the box at this current apartment, so I can't vouch for the exact number. If I had to guess though, maybe 60+.

How did you get started in swords?

RaindogT

Monkey
Dec 22, 2005
Kansas City
I collect nothing... Seriously-- I do.

I have a vast collection of mason's jars, old pickle jars and the like-- nail the lid to the bottom of my workbench and use the jars for hardware, bits and pieces, etc..... Pretty handy system.

A friend stopped by, and thought he's be a smart a$$ and says 'So, what's with all of the jars???....' (to the jars that are 'in reserve' and stacked on a storage shelf)

I responded that it was my collection of nothing(s). Each and every one of those jars is full of nothing.... :twitch:

That's all I got to say about that.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Do those swords come with a warranty?

It probably sounds strange but I used to have a large collection of bleached animal skulls. I really don't have much of a taste for collecting though.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
I collect shoe lasts. Any old, wooden ones, or modern unusual ones. I have some great lasts from the 50's and 60's. Currently I have my eyes on some italian womens lasts from the 80's.

I also collect shoe making tools, but that's mostly because I use them and need them.

I would love to collect blades but I can't afford it.

Last edited:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
How did you get started in swords?
I was introduced to them mostly through martial arts(Tae Kwon Do) though I have never really studied a true Japanese Sword Art in any formal fashion. I enjoy woodworking, though, and really got into it by purchasing bare blades for a fraction of their true value and then remounting/rehabilitating them. I then sell them and buy newer and better ones that need work with the proceeds. When I started out, I was buying bare blades for ~$200-$300. The ones I buy now are more like $2000-$3000 unmounted and unpolished...and those are just by the 1st and 2nd ranked American bladesmiths who forge in the Japanese style. The same thing made in Japan by a 1st or 2nd ranked modern Japanese bladesmith would cost at a minimum $60,000. Historical Japanese swords by past masters and those of significant cultural value are virtually priceless.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Do those swords come with a warranty?
Hahahahaha! Actually, now that you mention it, I have four in my collection that have lifetime warranties provided the smith is still alive and the company still solvent. I paid cash for them from small, private dealers, though, and therefore don't have a sales receipt. :biggrin:

I also have very large quantities of maps and fishing supplies, but as I use them regularly rather than just admire them, I don't really consider mine collections.

BTW, nice pad Narlus. I could prolly veg out there for hours exploring your tunes collection after nice nug or two.

Last edited:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Well Hells Yeah! $5K for a nice set and already sold.

My dad had literally hundreds of the old Classics Illustrated comic books- a series devoted to bringing classical literary masterpieces alive and making them interesting to younger readers. I was so in love with my dad's collection, I read them all cover to cover and then the real books afterwards. Unfortunately, my brother and I handled them pretty roughly not realizing their value and pretty much made them un-valuable to collectors. Stupid kids, we were. Oh well, at least he still has his coins, stamps and Confederate money. :biggrin:

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I collect/study rocks and maps. I like geology and cartography.
That's an area of interest of mine, although I have yet to start collecting. I do however collect antique mining history and geology books. Is that dorkier than swords?

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I was introduced to them mostly through martial arts(Tae Kwon Do) though I have never really studied a true Japanese Sword Art in any formal fashion. I enjoy woodworking, though, and really got into it by purchasing bare blades for a fraction of their true value and then remounting/rehabilitating them. I then sell them and buy newer and better ones that need work with the proceeds. When I started out, I was buying bare blades for ~$200-$300. The ones I buy now are more like $2000-$3000 unmounted and unpolished...and those are just by the 1st and 2nd ranked American bladesmiths who forge in the Japanese style. The same thing made in Japan by a 1st or 2nd ranked modern Japanese bladesmith would cost at a minimum $60,000. Historical Japanese swords by past masters and those of significant cultural value are virtually priceless.
That's beyond cool. Awesome hobby. A friend of mine started Iaido for a bit, but he has ADD when it comes to stuff like this. He got really excited about it and was learning all he could about swords, smithing, and etc. then he just stopped. There's a fairly serious Kendo club in KC that I'd like to join, but it's not practical for me right now.

I used to collect Star Wars action figures. I don't do that anymore.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't collect projects, but I seem to go through them at an awkward rate. I have had about 20 projects in the last 10 years.

j.les

Monkey
Jul 21, 2007
Chicago
I collect tiki mugs, Guiness and PBR items, old Schwinn bikes n' stuff, old punk records, original Misfits/Samhain merchandise.

You could say I collect anodized bike parts from the 90's, but I bolt the shyt on and ride the piss out of it.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Picture postcards, with stamps, mailed from country of origin ( outside US)
Some of my cooler ones are Everest Basecamp & Bhutan; I just got one from Mongolia.

If anyone of you monkies lives someplace non us and wants to send me one, PM me for address.

gg

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
That's an area of interest of mine, although I have yet to start collecting. I do however collect antique mining history and geology books. Is that dorkier than swords?
Nope. Swords are way more dorkier. Almost on the level of Star Trek dorky.... :)