Quantcast

Best Bike shops in MD/VA

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
I like revolution cycles in DC, but perf is also good for getting cheap stuff.

I wish there was a more FR/DH/Street oriented place around here.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Catonsville and Fleet Street are great shops, good owners, product, both very active in the community.

Both Paul and Don Don are great guys, and are on top of their market.

CR

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
ah but with online shipping you cant get anything free! my bars i found in the back of a shop, spacers and cog for my SS casette were free, my fork and front wheel cost me $20 and a coke....my chain was free...you got to the right shop then theres no wait for parts, and when you get them you have a full range of tools at hand, which you cant get from a sales-only mail order online source, as well as people to talk to, chill with, ride with, etc...

bike shops rule :up:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
eeeehhh, that whole "last years' model" thing doesn't mean much at all. A 105 rear der. is a 105, regardless. I bought a bunch from Jenson for $31 (+$7 shipping), as opposed to $55 plus tax at my "favorite LBS" which is what happened to me when I had a race in 4 days. In retrospect, it woulda been cheaper for me to have Jenson overnight FedEx one to me. :dead:

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Originally posted by DßR
eeeehhh, that whole "last years' model" thing doesn't mean much at all. A 105 rear der. is a 105, regardless. I bought a bunch from Jenson for $31 (+$7 shipping), as opposed to $55 plus tax at my "favorite LBS" which is what happened to me when I had a race in 4 days. In retrospect, it woulda been cheaper for me to have Jenson overnight FedEx one to me. :dead:

Last years model does matter on some items with compatability.
My biggest problem w/ them is selling OEM product as spec product. Many products are not the same ie: the forks look the same but the internals are cheaper
quality. We bought my son's TLD D2 from jenson at a good price (last years model). Couldnt get it locally with out an order and at a higher price. However when it came to shimano we could beat jenson/supergo pricing at the LBS when we added in shipping.

CR

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
I you really wanna save time and money you should develop a good relationship with your LBS, bring some beer or pizza from time to time, give em references, and stay loyal, you may just find your next bike coming a at significant discount. This generally works better with the smaller shops...

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
eeeh, like go kiss ass to your LBS and give them money for their overpriced stuff and buy em food and if you're lucky they might help you out someday.

NO THANKS.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Surrre, let's seee
LBS = $450 for brakes,
Online = $310 for brakes, shipping included.

No brainer there, unless you've got money burning holes in your pockets.

"Last year's models" are great deals and generally speaking, there isn't such a big difference to warrant the price difference between the new and "old". Yes, there are exceptions to that but if you know what you're looking for and what's important to you, you can usually get away with the same thing for much less.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by KPicha
"Last year's models" are great deals and generally speaking, there isn't such a big difference to warrant the price difference between the new and "old". Yes, there are exceptions to that but if you know what you're looking for and what's important to you, you can usually get away with the same thing for much less.
Actually with some brands like marzocchi, the older your fork's model is the better it is, i.e. the less input its design has gotten for those marketing folks (i'm trying to stay polite but it's hard) who are struggling to get to the top and get a piece of that pie....

:D

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Surrre, let's seee
LBS = $450 for brakes,
Online = $310 for brakes, shipping included.

No brainer there, unless you've got money burning holes in your pockets.

yes, but would the online store install them for you?

Hows about warantee?

Morgan

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
oh please. If you can't install a set of brakes, you shouldn't be working on a bike. Period.

I've always said, if you don't know your sh*t inside and out, it will end up costing you more. Either you F up and buy I.S. brakes for your post-mount bike on Ebay/Supergo and waste money that way, or you waste money by having the lbs hold your hand the entire way and you spend 2x as much as online.

For people who know how to wrench, a bike shop is becoming increasingly less relevant. If you don't know your "neck" from your "pedal crank" then you need an LBS. For more savvy consumers, spending an extra $140 on a set of discs to have them installed for you is BS, that's a 15 minute job tops. And the warrantee is just as good if you keep your receipt, same as an lbs.

BTW I'm fully aware that shop cost is usually right about what Supergo sells stuff for and the lbs can't stay in business if they match those prices. That's not the consumer's fault though, it's QBP/BTI's and OEM's fault.

KPicha

Velma
Aug 3, 2002
Northern, VA
Yeah, I did it but it took a bit longer than 15 mins :) Getting my Hayes bracket off the rear was practically an all day affair and I ended up having to wait until the evening when my husband could muscle off the bolts; after some dremelling. Strength issues are where I lose out and I haven't bled any brakes before so I might let someone else do that. All in all though, setting up disc brakes is pretty easy. You just have to have the patience to get the little details just right.

As far as warranty issues go, like Dan said, as long as you have the receipt, there shouldn't be a problem.

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
Originally posted by Shortbus
eeeh, like go kiss ass to your LBS and give them money for their overpriced stuff and buy em food and if you're lucky they might help you out someday.

NO THANKS.

Yeah, wouldnt want to have to be friendly or anything like that. At least at the shop I worked at, the "usuals" got alot of free service, parts at the best deal we could honestly afford to give them, and signicant price breaks on bikes. Most of them actually seem to enjoy hanging out at the shop, but if youre not into human contact or anything like that you might wanna go mail order.:D

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
like philllyvanilly said, for regulars we usually throw some installs and tuneups for free, if you went and bought every part off mail order then f yea were gonna charge you every cent to install it, if you are a good customer, and you buy a set of disc brakes, then of course we'll install them, thats how business relationships work.

Morgan

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Originally posted by Msisle Dad
like philllyvanilly said, for regulars we usually throw some installs and tuneups for free, if you went and bought every part off mail order then f yea were gonna charge you every cent to install it, if you are a good customer, and you buy a set of disc brakes, then of course we'll install them, thats how business relationships work.

Morgan
Oh, you work at a bike store. OK that figures. Tell me the name of one bike store where an "educated and aware" consumer is not the enemy. ONE. You people prey on those who don't know much about bikes.

Originally posted by PhillyVanilli
Yeah, wouldnt want to have to be friendly or anything like that. At least at the shop I worked at, the "usuals" got alot of free service, parts at the best deal we could honestly afford to give them, and signicant price breaks on bikes. Most of them actually seem to enjoy hanging out at the shop, but if youre not into human contact or anything like that you might wanna go mail order.
YES YES
cause my social life needs to revolve around hanging out at the back of a bike shop with acid junkies who talk about some deep sh!t all day long and lay on the floor most of the day...

NO THANKS. once again.

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
Yeah, I did it but it took a bit longer than 15 mins :) Getting my Hayes bracket off the rear was practically an all day affair and I ended up having to wait until the evening when my husband could muscle off the bolts; after some dremelling. Strength issues are where I lose out and I haven't bled any brakes before so I might let someone else do that. All in all though, setting up disc brakes is pretty easy. You just have to have the patience to get the little details just right.

As far as warranty issues go, like Dan said, as long as you have the receipt, there shouldn't be a problem.

AAAAaaaahhh just get a set of hopes and fogedaboutit.

FIGHT! :p

But honestly, as intimidating as working on a bike can get sometimes (and look at brooklyn bikes for a clue to my world ;) ), I honestly feel that the more i work on my bike, i.e. for 3, 4 hours even be, the more i learn about it and the more finiky i get when riding it cause I end up diagnosing (sp? is that a word? diagnosticating?) stuff SO much faster and am able to repair it on the spot.

I've RARELY seen a bike shop fix anything correctly. But again i'm super finiky so who knows.

Originally posted by shifty S
my LBS doesnt sell my most important part anyways....duct tape!
Shifty, ask em about special ordering it, you place order on monday it gets in on Wed and it'll only cost you 23.95 for the roll. Or 8.95 with 2 cases of beer.
:p

shifty S

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
NWDC...Asheville
Shifty, ask em about special ordering it, you place order on monday it gets in on Wed and it'll only cost you 23.95 for the roll. Or 8.95 with 2 cases of beer.
:p
ehh, when i need it i just take it off of other locations on my bike :D

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Oh, you work at a bike store. OK that figures. Tell me the name of one bike store where an "educated and aware" consumer is not the enemy. ONE. You people prey on those who don't know much about bikes.

Listen , I can tell you of a number of LBS's that educate, match riders with needs ,and provide good service. But You wouldnt listen. You know to much.

One of the people you attacked with your "prey" comment is my son Morgan, a mechanic at a bike shop 3 days a week (he began as an apprentice 3 years ago),a HS sophomore.He races the Norba National series ,Sea Otter, & is State Champ in DH & 4X Etc....He can repair, rebuild or tune anything on a timely basis because he was well trained by good people who know the business and respect their clientel.

Based on your comments you must be a know it all that is uniformed and has never asked to be refered to a good shop.

CR

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I don't think Shortbus was intending to bash Morgan there - the fact is, most shops make 90-some% of their money off low-end stuff and they simply AREN'T familiar with the high-end stuff we're riding - ffs, Shortbus rides a Brooklyn Mini-link - how many LBS workers have even heard of Brooklyn bikes, let alone that model? 1% of 'em?

I had a big argument with a guy about a year ago re: this topic. So to prove a point I took my DH bike around to all the shops in Williamsburg, and in ALL FOUR, it was the first DH bike they had ever seen in real life. Where is the useful expertise there? I know 100x more about my needs, how to bleed brakes, and how to rebuild forks than all the shops here. Hell, the one Marz. dealer here can't even rebuild a Marz. fork - they send 'em back to Cali to get new seals installed!

That kind of crap gives people a bad vibe about shops. I can invariably take care of my bike better than any shop within a one hour drive of here. If I can save money on top of that by buying online, cool, bonus.

I know I'm not the typical biker. But it REALLY flips me when people give me sh*t about "not supporting my LBS's" when I can do a better job than each and every one of 'em. When I move up to DC this summer, I'll have access to better shops, but still - I don't think they're capable of doing anything outside of reaming headtubes that I can't do myself equally well....

anyway the point is, there are good shops so it's unfair to generalize lbs's as all being useless, but the fact is, if you're a competent mechanic, they frequently don't have much to offer that you can't do yourself.