Quantcast

Best Brakes for DH/Freeride?

napoleon

Chimp
May 20, 2008
Hi there,

here we go, my first post in thins forum!
I have a cannondale Perp with hayes nine brakes and I'm about to upgrade. What brakes would you recommend? I'm looking for a more powerful and more modulable brake set and possibly to save some weight. I was thinking about the Juicy seven with 203mm front and 160mm back. what do you think?

Some people recommended me the Formula The One but those are quite more expensive compared to the juicy. do you think is worth to spend the extra money?

Thanks in advance
o.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hi, and Welcome to Ridemonkey! :thumb:

If you can swing the ones then yes, personally I think the k24's or k18's are right on for you.
The ones are the flagship brake.
I run the ones and biancos before that so I partial to the formulas.
1st Formula K18's beat out the others including the avids and codes on a recent test mountainbike UK, based on power, value, over the course of the season, readers input (most wanted), modulation nasty weather, fade and overall the beatdown test. There were alot that were on par or close just the formulas closed the gap this year.

My personal experience, 10+ best brakes so far hands down. Trust them with my life and they have saved my butt.

Bang for the buck Id rock K18s' they are like k 24s just minus the pad contac lever, if thats important than go k24's. Biancos are just a single finger lever blinged out vs. so K24 is just as good at a fraction the price and the k18 is identical - the fcs adjuster.

Avids are great breaks I went back and forth ALOT before buying formulas and Im glad I opted Formulas. They rival my old Hope mono 6tis.

napoleon

Chimp
May 20, 2008
that was quick :)

The K24 seems a to be a valid alternative to the juicy 7. Any idea how they compare in terms of weight?

thanks

Dr. Ill

Monkey
Nov 29, 2005
Get juicy 7's and be done... All parts are readily available and they are easy to maintain. Formulas are cool but not really worth the extra dough and hassle.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'll throw down a vote for saints... good power & modulation with a good price. Good consistency too. spare bits and pieces for it are also readily available.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Third vote for Juicy 7's Have them on two bikes. power, modulation, easy adjustment, good dealer network/support and.......CHEAP!
Yeah!!!

Gieleuh

Chimp
May 17, 2008
I have Shimano saints, very cheap and super brakes at 200mm! On my 4X HT I have Formula Oro Puro, they rock... Next brakes on my next bike will be Oro's! Bad experience with Avid Juicy 5 and 7...

napoleon

Chimp
May 20, 2008
i found what i believe is a good deal for a pair of juicy 7 203 front and 160 rear. 265$+shipping, any good?

I naver tried a 160 mm rear rotor, any comments? is it too small for DH?

still looking to get some infos on the weight, if the formula are lighter than the juicy, it would justify the price difference.

o.

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
Yes, the Oro K18/24 is lighter than the Juicy 7, and Juicy Carbon, the weight is almost identical to the Juicy Ultimate.

If you want seriously light & still great performance, Oro Puro is pretty much as light as it gets (but not cheap).

Random useless info as well, Formula designed the Juicy range for Avid...

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Get Formulas (k18/24's) or get magura luise BAT's. Also great breaks.

Most ppl will recomend you avids cuz they are the Volkswagen (or whatever us equivalent) of brakes. They work as they should but nothing special.

Gieleuh

Chimp
May 17, 2008
Lik emy previous post, i have the saint on my perp. You'll be amazed by the power! And they are f...ing cheap!

-C-

Monkey
May 27, 2007
If you're worried about weight, then don't get Saints.

I ran Saints for a couple of years, very reliable & easy to get spares for, but also heavy by comparison.

I still have them as spares now, but they wouldn't be first choice since moving to Formula's :)

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
strokers came stock on my bike. i pulled them off and gave them to my friend so i could throw my codes on there. ive since then pulled the codes off and have a set of stroker carbons on order. the others were dead reliable, worked great, were reasonably light, and didnt cost very much. the code were quite heavy, way overkill for anything but full stoppage and getting thrown over the front wheel by a small twitch in one finger. everybody has had terrible experiences with hayes 9's, soles, caminos, and mags. pretty much every brake before now has had reliability issues, but im quite happy with the new stroker trails

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I've owned and serviced every single Brake mentioned and the Best set of brakes in my experiences has been my Formula K24's. I like them so much I'm going to be getting a second set for my Slalom bike. Sure they cost a little more up front but Juicys and Saints have both given me more headaches than my formulas ever have.

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
ive used every brake out there. Personally i really like my hope m4's and juicy lever code caliper setup. I just bought a pair of formula megas and will review them after the weekend.

Hayes imo stink. i have had soo many issues over the years with them and my buddy just got the new strokers and they died 3 weeks later.

Hope m6's are overkill.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
If you're worried about weight, then don't get Saints.

I ran Saints for a couple of years, very reliable & easy to get spares for, but also heavy by comparison.

I still have them as spares now, but they wouldn't be first choice since moving to Formula's :)
Saints heavy? Maybe heavier than the Formula's but I wouldn't call them heavy. Here are weights posted on Sicklines.com. These are weights of rear brakes:

Shimano Saint m800 289
Formula ONE 252
Hayes Stroker Trail 282
Avid Juicy 7 Carbon 296
Avid Code Rear 392

I pulled those weights from:
http://www.sicklines.com/weights/discbrakes

fellow pinner

Monkey
May 18, 2007
over there
I say juicy 7s ive run them on all my bikes since i started riding never had a problem. If you want to much power and you have the money get the avid codes.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
why is everyone saying avid codes have 'too much' power? i'm a lightweight(140-150lbs) and i've never gone over the bars or grabbed too much brake by accident.

napoleon

Chimp
May 20, 2008
what do you guys think of using a 203mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor? for FR/DH

I always used 203 on both front and rear, is 160 too small?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what do you guys think of using a 203mm front rotor and 160mm rear rotor? for FR/DH

I always used 203 on both front and rear, is 160 too small?
Depends on how much you weigh mostly. I'm about 200 pounds with gear, and I run 203/203 on my dh bike, and 203/185 for my trail bike.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
If you weigh less than 200, just about any brake is more than enough, unless you're dragging/boiling your brakes - which would not be the brakes shortcoming.

I love to see reviews of Codes or Ones by 155lb guys.... awesome.

napoleon

Chimp
May 20, 2008
Thanks everyone, at the end i decided to buy the K24. Next weekend i'll ride them for the first time.

I'll keep you updated.
thanks for all your help
o.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Random useless info as well, Formula designed the Juicy range for Avid...
On the contrary, it puts an end to which of the two brakes, Juicy or Oro, is the best one. Of course, Formula kept the best design for them selves.

Nap, personally I would run a 7" as rear at the smallest. Good to have a little more power if needed to lock, even if you usually ride smooth and brake early.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thanks everyone, at the end i decided to buy the K24. Next weekend i'll ride them for the first time.

I'll keep you updated.
thanks for all your help
o.
Right, if you still can opt for them, take a look at the Mega's. They're like the One's but without the FCS, and like "half the price".