Quantcast

Best sandwhich in the world...

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
man...you must have not experienced many sandwiches in your life if you think a quiznos sub is the best...geez...
kids these days.....

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Kids... If 24 is still a kid, then I don't know how old you have to be to be an adult.

And the chicken... the bacon... the lettuce... drowned in honey mustard...

I just started drooling...

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Prettym1k3 said:
Kids... If 24 is still a kid, then I don't know how old you have to be to be an adult.

-snip-..
About mid-40's, if my life is any measure...

:)

But I'll trump that sammich with just about any Gyro made on the Danforth by real Greeks, or a genuine Philly Cheese Steak from, of all places, Philly.

But the fact is, the Best Sandwich In the World [BSITW] is the one you get when you're really, really hungry.

NapalmCheese

Monkey
May 16, 2006
Los Gatos
Mal's Market in Seaside CA, home of the bomber. Garlic spread and Jalepeno spread make it special.

Then of course there's Compagno's in Monterey, my goodness those are tasty.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Besides a good Reuben or Philly Steak&Cheese, these are my favorites from a local quality establishment:
*Tuna Steak Sandwich with Wasabi Vinaigrette
*Crab Cake Sandwich topped with Old Bay Aioli
*Teriyaki Chicken Breast Sandwich with Swiss and Bacon

Here is the recipe for another all-time favorite:
:drool:Monte Cristo Sandwich:drool:
Monte Cristo Sandwich is served with currant jelly sauce. First prepare this, then make the batter. While it is chilling, put together the sandwiches. When the sandwiches are fried, the complete service is ready.

Currant Jelly Sauce:
2/3 c. currant jelly
1 TB water
1 TB half and half
Combine jelly, water and half and half in blender and mix until smooth. Makes about 3/4 cup.

Batter:
2/3 c. water
1 small egg
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. white pepper
few drops yellow food coloring
2/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 3/4 t. baking powder
Place water, egg, salt, pepper and food coloring in a bowl and using an electric mixer, mix well at low speed. Add flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth. Chill. Makes enough for 4 sandwiches.

Sandwiches:
8 slices white bread
4 slices turkey (1 oz. each)
4 slices swiss cheese
4 slices Pullman ham
Make 4 sandwiches, putting cheese between hand and turkey. Cut into fourths and put a toothpick through each quarter.
Final Preparation:
soybean or vegetable oil for frying
Confectioners' sugar
currant jelly sauce
Heat about 6-inches of oil to 340F in a fryer. Dip sandwiches in batter to cover all surfaces. Deep fry sandwiches until golden brown, turning as needed. Remove from oil, take out toothpicks, sprinkle sandwiches with confectioners' sugar. Serve with currant jelly sauce.

Here's a link you should bookmark =>http://www.delicioussandwichrecipes.com

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
jonKranked said:
dibellas (rochester) and primanti's (started in da burgh). doesn't get any better than those places.
Primanti's FTW. OMFG. AHHH. My pops grew up in pittsburg and thats the first and last meal we eat everytime we go up there.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
reflux said:
Funny, I was also going to mention the Monte Cristo.

Q: how does one fry the MC without having access to a restaurant quality fryer?
:think: In a pot with fresh oil. :confused: Was that supposed to be a trick question?

People fry stuff clear across Dixie every single day w/o industrial-sized or commercial-grade stainless steel vats -n- baskets.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Monte Cristo Sammich

Ingredients:

8 slices brioche bread (about 1/4-inch thick)
1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup Creole or other whole-grain mustard
16 thin slices Capicolla sausage (or ham or whatever meat you want)
12 thin slices Swiss cheese
2 large eggs
1/4 cup heavy cream (35% - like whipping cream)
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper

How-To

Preheat the griddle.

Brush one side of each piece of brioche with butter. Spread the other half with mustard.

On four slices of bread, mustard side up, lay a piece of cheese.

Place two slices of sausage on top of the cheese. Lay a piece of cheese over the sausage.

Top each pile with the remaining bread, mustard side down.

In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and cream together.

Season with salt and pepper.

Dip sandwiches in the egg mixture and place on a hot griddle and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and the cheese has melted.

[not my pic, but close enough]:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i just had a poppy bagel with cream cheese and bacon. and yes, it was good. perhaps the best thing i've eaten today :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Monte Cristo would have to be up there as one of the most satisfying, but I agree it's gotta be battered and fried...if not, could still be good but well it's something else.

I will also vote for a good patty melt, with well-carmelized onions and griddled until the cheese melts.

Or an excellent hot pastrami sammy with cole slaw and thousand isle on rye from a proper Manhatten deli. The best of those rule all, but it's not easy to find a good one out here.

Of course, can't forget one of my fave trail foods: Almond butter, banana, and honey on whole grain.

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
Anything from Vermont Sandwich Company.

Martone's just outside out of Burlington.

I haven't found a great sandwich shop around here but my neighbor's place (Lola's) makes some good gourmet sandwiches / panini's.

Chunky Munkey

Herpes!
May 10, 2006
is ALWAYS key I say...
Change the words on my post. Funny. I'm laughing... Provoking to get a reaction? That's classic. Real smart. Maybe you would like to see a few of my favorite links I'd like to post up on RM? It's GREAT artistic photography.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
yeah, big words from the blue dude... it's a freakin' food forum buddy, not a fantasy forum...aren't you late for ladies' night?

btw, anyone who thinks pam anderson is hot is immediately suspect.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
OGRipper said:
Of course, can't forget one of my fave trail foods: Almond butter, banana, and honey on whole grain.
mmmm...I'm eating almond butter by the spoonfull right now. That sandwich is definitely one of the best trail foods ever.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It occurred to me that the sandwich is probably the world's most perfect food.

It also occurred to me that if Tom Cruise has more cash than L. Ron Hubbard, well, he can walk around saying he has more money than God. :think:

(Nothing to see here, move right along...)

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
The best for me is Manuka smoked bacon sliced thick and cooked over a charcoal BBQ, with some fried organic eggs and using FRESH bread and good NZ butter. :love:
Serve in the sun after a good ride, with a nice saaz hopped pilsner. :drool:

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
OGRipper said:
Oh and my girl votes for Tino's in Santa Barbara...says they make the rocking eye-talian subs. (That would be grinders for you east coasters.)
Tino's, huh? Can't recall the last thing I'd had there, but frankly, Greek or Italian Deli's are pretty hard to beat for a decent sammich.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
katz pastrami sandwiches.
2nd, there was this small deli (forgot the name) on nj, a few minutes off the tunnel. cream cheese, lox and bagel for t3h win. simple and beautiful.

but katz :drool:

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
Used to be a place in Laguna Beach, CA, that named their sandwiches after famous people, this was back in the '70s. An Elizabeth Taylor was Turkey Breast, Cranberry, Sprouts on Squaw (think about it). An Uncle Sam was Red Cabbage, White Tuna, Blue Cheese. A Don Rickles was Tongue, Horseradish on Jewish Rye. A Lyndon Johnson was Baloney on White and a Richard Nixon was a surprise, you never know what you'll get.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
Nobody said:
Tino's, huh? Can't recall the last thing I'd had there, but frankly, Greek or Italian Deli's are pretty hard to beat for a decent sammich.
There's a Polish deli nearby that makes a damn good Italian with procuitto, capacola, and this unbeliveable imported smoked salami. Add some leaf lettuce, onions, hot peppers, mustard, and a little oil = :drool: