Quantcast

Big Dh Frames

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Does anyone know of any really big dh frames? I'm almost 6'7 and still growing. I have a custom swd 216 right now but it was made too small, its for someone 6'3 or 6'4. I would really like another swd but they aren't taking orders for new frames for atleast a few months, maybe more or even never again, I dont know. I want a bike that is really low and slack. I will probably try to buy used but I may buy a new frame. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks, James

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I will never ride a foes unless they ditch the damn curnutt suspension, I like the rotecs though, they make them in a big enough size?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Go zumbi F44 or maybe demo ? The 06+ models have dh like geo and a long TT so they could be nice.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
hey bud, yeah i have the same prob, im 6.5, but stopped growing. the large V10 is pretty big..i think Rennie is like 6.6 and fits him good

lol i ride a medium V10, but i find it big enough for me..

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
A large Rotec isn't any larger than really other manufacturers large frames. I don't know what the sizing of your SWD was, but look at the numbers of that bike and try to match them up to what else is out there to get an idea of what you are looking for. At 6'7" and growing you may want to have something that has a 48"+ wheelbase. A large Demo is a bigger feeling bike then a either a Glory or a Rotec since it has a very long front to center length. (I switched from a Demo to a Rotec this year so I can confirm this based on reality too). Another stock frame would be the older style Yeti DH bikes. For someone your size I'd imagine that wheelbase and the front center size are going to be pretty important.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I would buy a large glory but they are inpossible to find and you cant buy them as the frame only. If the 06 spec demos are big enough then I'll look for one of those. How much do the zumbi's run? The other one I found is a kona stab, they look really big on pper, has anyone tried a large? Whos the guy on here that makes the chilean garage frames, could I get a custom one?

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
What about a Sinister r9 regular size, I'm 6'2 and felt it was a bit big, almost a 48 inch wheelbase...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm 6'7" and 270. My '06 Rotec is going on it's third season without issue. The large fits me perfectly. This year's large frame has an even lower standover (which wasn't a problem to begin with but now you can throw can-can's even easier!!!) and it's lighter. The length is a great balance between stability for guys our size and the ability to throw it through the tight stuff. Go with the Rotec.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
how about a cannondale? I rode a prophet for a while, and the large was HUGE. I imagine an XL would be impossible to ride. I would imagine that sizing might transfer over to their judge frame too.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
how about a cannondale? I rode a prophet for a while, and the large was HUGE. I imagine an XL would be impossible to ride. I would imagine that sizing might transfer over to their judge frame too.
I dont think cannondale makes an XL sized Judge, im 6ft and ride a medium it fits me really well. Not sure a large would be big enough depending on how you like your bikes to fit.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I dont think cannondale makes an XL sized Judge, im 6ft and ride a medium it fits me really well. Not sure a large would be big enough depending on how you like your bikes to fit.
true, they only offer large, but it does have a 24.2in TT. That's probably not big enough for Gigantor here.

Custom may be the only option. DH frames are a little too small market.

How about Mark Zmurko at Purgatory bikes? All of their bikes are pretty custom, maybe for a little bit of money he could make a huge frame for you. He's a really good/smart guy, and some of his designs are excellent.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
Heres the numbers from my swd setup now

22.5 inch actual toptube
19 inch seatube
27 inch downtube
47 inch wheelbase
14.25 inch bottom bracket height

I forgot to ad I am on a budget as far as buying a frame goes so a new frame probably wont happen.

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
maybe a large glory
A large glory is one of my first choices but I've been looking for one for a year and have yet to find one used and you cant buy them as a frame only

Wait,

SWD might start taking orders in several months? Says who?
I asked on the swd forum and thsi is the response I got

"No new orders are being accepted at this time. Right now all of the outstanding items are being handled as quickly as possible, at which point there will be some down time to re-organize things. New orders WILL be accepted again in the coming months, but it's not possible to give a definite date just yet.

Keep an eye out for a post with developments as they become
available."

The 06+ models have dh like geo and a long TT so they could be nice.
I'd also be interested in an large 06 demo but i cant find one.

I would also consider a large rotec or v10 if i can find one, buying new really isn't an option since I'm on a budget.

The large kona stab also looks big on paper, does anyone know if this is true.

Attachments

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
A large glory is one of my first choices but I've been looking for one for a year and have yet to find one used and you cant buy them as a frame only

I asked on the swd forum and thsi is the response I got

"No new orders are being accepted at this time. Right now all of the outstanding items are being handled as quickly as possible, at which point there will be some down time to re-organize things. New orders WILL be accepted again in the coming months, but it's not possible to give a definite date just yet.

Keep an eye out for a post with developments as they become
available."

I'd also be interested in an large 06 demo but i cant find one.

I would also consider a large rotec or v10 if i can find one, buying new really isn't an option since I'm on a budget.

The large kona stab also looks big on paper, does anyone know if this is true.
I've got a "lightly" used '06 Large Rotec RL9 that can be yours for the right price! :lighten:

:biggrin:

Tell 'em Sully!! "Lightly" right!???!?!?

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
I'm still looking for a good frame that fits. I've switched from the swd to a large rmx and its better but still not great and the geometry is ****. So who does custom frames, I'm open to almost any brand? The large specialized demo is smaller than my rmx, the large glory i found out is a typo and is actually alot smaller, the large v10 is way too small. The large rotec looks to small on paper atleast. Santa cruz wont custom make a v10 nor will turner a dhr. Is vitox still making those steel garge frames and does anyone have any contact info with him?

dirtdigger

Monkey
Mar 18, 2007
N.zud
I'm still looking for a good frame that fits. I've switched from the swd to a large rmx and its better but still not great and the geometry is ****. So who does custom frames, I'm open to almost any brand? The large specialized demo is smaller than my rmx, the large glory i found out is a typo and is actually alot smaller, the large v10 is way too small. The large rotec looks to small on paper atleast. Santa cruz wont custom make a v10 nor will turner a dhr. Is vitox still making those steel garge frames and does anyone have any contact info with him?

i can make a frame to the size you want, i'm just about set up to start building some, tell me some numbers for the geo you have in mind?