Quantcast

Big Screen TV Help

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Here is my new setup with my home made tv stand.

I am still gathering speakers and will get me a BluRay soon.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice.

I see a lot of people hang them high on the wall (or even above a fireplace), but I do not understand why.
Looks. The house we are hoping for has a nice spot over the fireplace for a 42", but I wouldn't try and wedge this monster up there. I would strain my neck trying to watch anything, but if I recline my chair, it would be nice.

The only issue my setup has is the couch we bought has the corner sticking out at a 45 degree angle. It partially blocks the cable box, so I might move it under the receiver just for better line 'o sight.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
so i've got the plasma and i've been trying to come up with a 1boxonder solution for all of my archived movies and mp3 and such. most of the media centers have been pushed out of the market unless you want to spend several thousand dolla's so i've decided to try a media extender/lounge and this one happens to be on sale.
also, i bought a z-line stand that swivels for it (my model was manufactured crappily though.)
http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=202106736

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Wow, that's really clean!

I took all my DVD's and put them in a HUGE binder. All the boxes are in a box in the garage. I keep the binder in the bookcase I built that looks just like the TV stand. It against the opposite wall.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nice.

I see a lot of people hang them high on the wall (or even above a fireplace), but I do not understand why.
looks is what its all about apparently.
i can be more of a pain in the ass trying to run a tv above a fireplace...especially if its brick.
ideally you want the sweet spot a little above eye level to where you are sitting.

I much prefer the tv lower down and at a comfortable eye level. (sorry, too easy bro. lol).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I saw media extender and movies in Tonninator's post. Does anyone else use these?

I currently stream all of my music and Tv all over the house from a Qnap NAS. Slightly more expensive than building your own, but runs linux and has a built in media server, itunes server, web server, database server, torrent program etc. I have it set up to grab the latest episodes of my favorite TV shows via RSS and torrent them to my TV directory.

My Itunes library is shared to every device in the house (even my iphone). Movies have been ripped and do the same thing, up to 720p natively. Even my RAW photo libraries are accessible for previewing on the big screen.

My Xbox almost gets more use as a media extender than it does as a gaming device.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I saw media extender and movies in Tonninator's post. Does anyone else use these?

I currently stream all of my music and Tv all over the house from a Qnap NAS. Slightly more expensive than building your own, but runs linux and has a built in media server, itunes server, web server, database server, torrent program etc. I have it set up to grab the latest episodes of my favorite TV shows via RSS and torrent them to my TV directory.

My Itunes library is shared to every device in the house (even my iphone). Movies have been ripped and do the same thing, up to 720p natively. Even my RAW photo libraries are accessible for previewing on the big screen.

My Xbox almost gets more use as a media extender than it does as a gaming device.
I should, that's bad ass. I was running an HDMI cable from my desktop to the receiver :rofl:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I should, that's bad ass. I was running an HDMI cable from my desktop to the receiver :rofl:
Ya, it is badass. All controlled with a Logitech Harmony 360 remote. 1 button push turns on tv, sets proper input, turns on Xbox, turns on receiver and sets proper input etc. Super stoked.

My office has all the hardware in it, so aside from lugging my macpro into the TV room, I really had no other option. My HDMI to DVI cord is about 3' long, so plugging laptop in is a nuissance, and I don't get 5.1 sound that way either.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Ya, it is badass. All controlled with a Logitech Harmony 360 remote. 1 button push turns on tv, sets proper input, turns on Xbox, turns on receiver and sets proper input etc. Super stoked.

My office has all the hardware in it, so aside from lugging my macpro into the TV room, I really had no other option. My HDMI to DVI cord is about 3' long, so plugging laptop in is a nuissance, and I don't get 5.1 sound that way either.
I just ordered the one in the link. I love my Harmony 720, the wife and daughter don't have to ask for help turning on the TV anymore. :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I just ordered the one in the link. I love my Harmony 720, the wife and daughter don't have to ask for help turning on the TV anymore. :D
Sweet! I already had the xbox, so I was super happy when they added the capability to play back pretty much every format under the sun besides OGG and MKV. No need for an extender. I also prefer a wired connection so that i am sure my movies don't get choppy.

I am sure you will love it.

Another good option may be an apple tv, they are super hackable now and can play back netflix streaming stuff etc. For $199 you can get an Xbox arcade and have an Xbox as well as a media extender?

Edit: holy crap that thing has a lot of rebates.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Sweet! I already had the xbox, so I was super happy when they added the capability to play back pretty much every format under the sun besides OGG and MKV. No need for an extender. I also prefer a wired connection so that i am sure my movies don't get choppy.
I wouldn't play games with the xbox, so this setup should be sweet. Man, now I will need a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can PC game on the big screen. Holy crap!

I may never leave the house...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I wouldn't play games with the xbox, so this setup should be sweet. Man, now I will need a wireless mouse and keyboard so I can PC game on the big screen. Holy crap!

I may never leave the house...
Xbox Arcade games are sweet. Pick up, play for 15 minutes and then put down.

But ya, anything that will get the job done will be sweet. I love just firing that up and using the remote to see what I have on my HDD. The automatic downloading of tv via torrents/rss is mega sweet when everyone has new shows on all week.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown

i recently did the ps 3 deal. it was a super nice setup but even though i loaded yellow dawg linux as an alt os sonys mcm still bloxored vob files. i bought a vob to ps3 converter but it would have taken 89.97 years to convert all my current movies to ps3 so i scrapped that project (dont play games so the box was usless.)
I have a buddy who has the xbox (hacked) and says it's aweosme.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
i recently did the ps 3 deal. it was a super nice setup but even though i loaded yellow dawg linux as an alt os sonys mcm still bloxored vob files. i bought a vob to ps3 converter but it would have taken 89.97 years to convert all my current movies to ps3 so i scrapped that project (dont play games so the box was usless.)
I have a buddy who has the xbox (hacked) and says it's aweosme.
I just use my xbox360 straight up. Works great, no need to convert anything at all.

You can also use Tversity to transcode anything as you watch it if you are on a PC and have some odd stuff.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
My wife hasn't been able to figure out the whole TV/DVD/AMP/Wii/Cable box thing, so I picked up a Logitech Harmony 720 remote on ebay for $75. You can set up "activities" that powers things on/off and switches the amp around so the correct inputs are switched. One button for "watch tv" and BAM! "Play Games" and BAM! "Watch DVD" and BAM!

It also has a recharging dock so I can train everyone to PUT THE REMOTE HERE WHEN NOT IN USE.

That's refreshing, My Wife can't figure out the harmony(it's already programmed) so she hunts for the remotes..:huh:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
I run a Fellows surge protector... it also allows for phone and coaxial lines which is often overlooked. Well worth it for the $40 bucks.

Here's my setup - recently added a Samsung Blu-Ray. Got it bundled with 8 DVD's from Amazon for $158. Sold all Blu-rays on ebay for $90, = Blu-Ray player for $68! :banana:

I also run a Harmon Kardon integrated amp with JBL reference tower speakers... never could enjoy a sub/satellite system...

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I run a Fellows surge protector... it also allows for phone and coaxial lines which is often overlooked.
coax lines are overlooked because they dont need protection. plus running your coax lines into your surge protector brings down the signal levels that go into your cable box. on newer houses this typically isnt a big issue, but on older houses running RG58, and with a lot of splits, this can be a hassle.

for all the jobs i did selling and installing home theaters, we never ran the coax cable through the surge protector, nor the phone line.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure that is totally true - why would manufactures include this feature if it was a non issue?

Here's a short article on the subject:

http://ecmweb.com/mag/electric_simplifying_surge_protection/
because consumers will buy anything that the manufacturer says is necessary.

why do people spend hundreds of dollars on Monster Cable products, or Bose products? because they do a damn good job at marketing.

in all the jobs i did or my store did, we never had one single issue with someone "frying" their cable box's coax input because of a surge. plus like i said, it will bring down the signal level going into the box.

Last edited:

Crashby

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Rochester, NY
because consumers will buy anything that the manufacturer says is necessary.

why do people spend hundreds of dollars on Monster Cable products, or Bose products? because they do a damn good job a marketing.

in all the jobs i did or my store did, we never had one single issue with someone "frying" their cable box's coax input because of a surge. plus like i said, it will bring down the signal level going into the box.
Good tip... I'll re-route the coax directly... I need all the signal strength I can get... I still get cut-outs on some of the HD channels.

Whats your opinion on optical audio cable? Is there a measureable difference there vs. RCA's? Thanks.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Good tip... I'll re-route the coax directly... I need all the signal strength I can get... I still get cut-outs on some of the HD channels.

Whats your opinion on optical audio cable? Is there a measureable difference there vs. RCA's? Thanks.
do you live in a older house and are you using RG6 cabling?

the HD channels will suffer first because they need the most signal strength to properly display the image without cutting out.
my parent's house also had this same issue before i re-ran 200'+ feet of new RG6 cable and got rid of their cheap 1 way coax line amplifier. they had 8 TV's running on the old original cabling that the house came with.
i bought a 600' roll of RG6 from my old job and it did make a huge difference in signal strength......now im not saying to do that, but just keep a eye out on what type of splitters you are using and what type of coax cable you are using too.

there is really no difference b/w running a optical cable or a digital coax cable really. there is a measurable difference sure, but will you notice it? probably not. coax is a bit more robust because it can be bent to a point without damaging the cable. since optical is glass-lined and uses light to pass signal, it can be damaged far more easier than a standard 75ohm digital cable. most receivers have both types of inputs to accommodating all the types of digital sources out there.
you cant use those cheap red, yellow and white cables that come with everything for digital audio. although they look the same, they usually arent 750ohm and wont pass digital audio

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I run a Fellows surge protector... it also allows for phone and coaxial lines which is often overlooked. Well worth it for the $40 bucks.

Here's my setup - recently added a Samsung Blu-Ray. Got it bundled with 8 DVD's from Amazon for $158. Sold all Blu-rays on ebay for $90, = Blu-Ray player for $68! :banana:

I also run a Harmon Kardon integrated amp with JBL reference tower speakers... never could enjoy a sub/satellite system...

That's pimp. I couldn't find anything I liked and that's why I built mine. Plus it matched the bookcase I also built. But with the floors, that looks very nice.

Our next house will have real floors.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
another nice ad

Hardly. I would have chosen a nicer one off their site if I were looking for a random pic (those guys have done some crazy rooms since).

It is a few years old now and not actually THAT crazy of a system:

Runco RS1100 projector
Stewart Filmscreen 100" WezMX screen
B&W 7.1 Speaker system
Denon 3807 A/V unit
Sony Blu Ray
XBOX 360
Universal Remote MX-850 (Crestron automation module for lights etc)...which I hate actually

I am a bit of a tech junkie and thought he would have pimped out with a full rack system and a better remote unit, but again it smokes my puny system. I get to drop the baby off upstairs with them and my wife and I get to watch killer movies. Everyone is happy. haha. Guitar Hero on there is fun too.

Last edited: