Quantcast

Big Screen TV Help

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Hardly. I would have chosen a nicer one off their site if I were looking for a random pic (those guys have done some crazy rooms since).

It is a few years old now and not actually THAT crazy of a system:

Runco RS1100 projector
Stewart Filmscreen 100" WezMX screen
B&W 7.1 Speaker system
Denon 3807 A/V unit
Sony Blu Ray
XBOX 360
Universal Remote MX-850 (Crestron automation module for lights etc)...which I hate actually

I am a bit of a tech junkie and thought he would have pimped out with a full rack system and a better remote unit, but again it smokes my puny system. I get to drop the baby off upstairs with them and my wife and I get to watch killer movies. Everyone is happy. haha. Guitar Hero on there is fun too.
sorry, not a ad, just a portfolio pic
so you have any other pictures beside the one from their site?

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
LOL. I looked through all my photo files and my wife's and we have no pics of the basement. To be honest, we only hang out down there to watch movies or play XBOX. Most of the social stuff is in the kitchen and living room (which has a nice Denon and B&W system with a 42" Sony)...although I disagree with where they placed the speakers in that room.

I'll try and grab a couple shots this weekend of the whole area.

Are you in the Electronics Industry? I used to go to the CES show all the time and have a few clients still in the Biz (http://marketnews.ca/)

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Are you in the Electronics Industry? I used to go to the CES show all the time and have a few clients still in the Biz (http://marketnews.ca/)
yeah im in the industry. and youre lucky you dont have to go to CES anymore. im gonna be there from Monday till Saturday afternoon. i dread going there every year, but its inevitable.
i usually try and take a day to go to the main show floor mainly to check the car section out. there usually isnt anything good on the main floor to spend time there, so i dont

there should be a CES page....:lighten:

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Nice score, SB. I have the standard crap one from Belkin, but it has a similar spacing on a few end connections that make it nice.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'm still gonna have questions and can't rep ya enough for the help brother!
no worries mon. its kinda like workin retail again and i enjoi talkin bout it.
a lot of people assume to pay what the sticker says in the big box stores, when it can be had for much cheaper online

my daily life consists of talking about:
1.electronics
2-bikes
3-cars
4-pot
5-food

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude, this D-Link Media Lounge is bad ass! Took about 5 minutes to hook up, install the software, configure the wireless, and BAM!

I don't have another HDMI cable with me, so I just used the RCA's it came with until I can get to the store tomorrow. No lag or anything, very good picture even with the lower res videos. I still need to program the Harmony.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Hopefully someone here will be able to help with some questions about our new "sorta" big screen tv. Our family just got a 37" Vizio TV and DVD and XBOX looks great but cable looks horrible. We were thinking the only way to fix this is to get a digital cable box but maybe someone else knows a different technique. Also there are 3 screen size settings, normal (which doesn't fill up the whole screen but proportions are correct), wide (which stretches out the picture like crazy), and panoramic (which stretches the picture but also makes it a little more proportional). We were hoping to find a way to make it completely proportional but can't find any way to do it. Any ideas?

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I don't have another HDMI cable with me, so I just used the RCA's it came with until I can get to the store tomorrow. No lag or anything, very good picture even with the lower res videos. I still need to program the Harmony.
buy the HDMI from amazon or buy for no more than $7 each

Hopefully someone here will be able to help with some questions about our new "sorta" big screen tv. Our family just got a 37" Vizio TV and DVD and XBOX looks great but cable looks horrible. We were thinking the only way to fix this is to get a digital cable box but maybe someone else knows a different technique. Also there are 3 screen size settings, normal (which doesn't fill up the whole screen but proportions are correct), wide (which stretches out the picture like crazy), and panoramic (which stretches the picture but also makes it a little more proportional). We were hoping to find a way to make it completely proportional but can't find any way to do it. Any ideas?
you should have gotten a digital HD box the day you got the tv. not hooking your new TV to HD is like running a high end sports car on regular gas.
the cable box will also have some stretch modes, so play with them when you get the tv to find the right picture size.
you will find that you will either have to stretch it or deal with the bars on the side. keeping black bars on the side prematurely wear that portion of the LCD....deal with the stretching, since most programming isnt in widescreen

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Use normal and get an HD box.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
you should have gotten a digital HD box the day you got the tv. not hooking your new TV to HD is like running a high end sports car on regular gas.
I have a standard cable box (because I haven't gotten one from work) but upconvert through the Onkyo. Some of the "experts" say the 606 doesn't upconvert as well as others, but it works for me. Certainly looks 10x better than running coax from the cable box to the tv.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a standard cable box (because I haven't gotten one from work) but upconvert through the Onkyo. Some of the "experts" say the 606 doesn't upconvert as well as others, but it works for me. Certainly looks 10x better than running coax from the cable box to the tv.
that setup works for now...at least until you get a HD box, but as im sure you know, youre not watching true HDTV.
it is a obviously better solution that using a Svideo, composite or coax cable.

do yourself a favor and get a HD cable box, at usually a no charge from the cable company.....or spend a couple more bucks and get a dvr HD box.

the TXSR606 is a pretty good receiver and the Faroudja processor is pretty good, but still get a HD box

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
that setup works for now...at least until you get a HD box, but as im sure you know, youre not watching true HDTV.
it is a obviously better solution that using a Svideo, composite or coax cable.

do yourself a favor and get a HD cable box, at usually a no charge from the cable company.....or spend a couple more bucks and get a dvr HD box.

the TXSR606 is a pretty good receiver and the Faroudja processor is pretty good, but still get a HD box
I have a short stack of HD boxes at wok, but they are next gen and Comcast doesn't support them (because Comcast is running vastly outdated hardware and software, but that's a different issue). I would rather not spend the money for a crap Comcast box until they update their system, then I will use one of my own.

At least I'm not stuck with Time Warner :rofl:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a short stack of HD boxes at wok, but they are next gen and Comcast doesn't support them (because Comcast is running vastly outdated hardware and software, but that's a different issue). I would rather not spend the money for a crap Comcast box until they update their system, then I will use one of my own.

At least I'm not stuck with Time Warner :rofl:
comcast does suck...and for other reasons besides their crap cable boxes. i didnt know they were switching their cable boxes. i was only aware of their new Docsis(sp) internet protocol. a HD box shouldnt cost you anything if you have digital cable already.

do you work for the dark side?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
comcast does suck...and for other reasons besides their crap cable boxes. i didnt know they were switching their cable boxes. i was only aware of their new Docsis(sp) internet protocol. a HD box shouldnt cost you anything if you have digital cable already.

do you work for the dark side?
Not sure what the dark side is. My company develops software that manages OnDemand systems. We also have a group that makes video servers, and a small group that does set top client software.

<edit> My company is also developing Docsis, I think (I see marketing shwag everywhere about Docsis 2.0 or something)

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Not sure what the dark side is. My company develops software that manages OnDemand systems. We also have a group that makes video servers, and a small group that does set top client software.
cool,sounds interesting. im assuming that why you have their newer boxes right?

the dark side is comcast.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
cool,sounds interesting. im assuming that why you have their newer boxes right?

the dark side is comcast.
I have a variety of boxes. Moto, Pace, Scientific Atlanta, Ono, and a few others. I don't work for a cable provider.

We have customers all over the world. Comcast has chosen to build their own software and that's why they are about a year behind most of the industry.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I have a variety of boxes. Moto, Pace, Scientific Atlanta, Ono, and a few others. I don't work for a cable provider.

We have customers all over the world. Comcast has chosen to build their own software and that's why they are about a year behind most of the industry.
really? i thought that cablevision was actually behind comcast in their systems.
just curious, what puts them behind the others?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
really? i thought that cablevision was actually behind comcast in their systems.
just curious, what puts them behind the others?
When you compare the software they run on the STB and management software they run, it's slow and clumsy. The stuff I run all day at work is so nice, then I come home and the navigation and response i painful.

The time it takes to process requests is outrageous. From the time I request content until the time the movie starts is awful. But the new stuff is bad because of the ads. Wait until you get upgraded and you have to sit through well placed ads (ff disabled) :D You can always pause and rewind, but there is no ff of the ads.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Dude, this D-Link Media Lounge is bad ass! Took about 5 minutes to hook up, install the software, configure the wireless, and BAM!

i will write a lot more when i can if people are interested BUT i set up a complete wireless network with the dsm520 AND a netgearg in less than 20 minutes. the dlink is pretty cool. it does have limitations but for less than a 100bucks i think it is going to fill my needs.
t

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
i will write a lot more when i can if people are interested BUT i set up a complete wireless network with the dsm520 AND a netgearg in less than 20 minutes. the dlink is pretty cool. it does have limitations but for less than a 100bucks i think it is going to fill my needs.
t
I'm pretty damn happy with it. My wife and I watched Heroes (non-HD torrent) and it looked great with no lag. Took me all of 2 minutes to configure the Harmony 720, now I have a "Watch Videos" activity. I haven't tried any hi-res videos, I will tomorrow.

Very nice.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
When you compare the software they run on the STB and management software they run, it's slow and clumsy. The stuff I run all day at work is so nice, then I come home and the navigation and response i painful.

The time it takes to process requests is outrageous. From the time I request content until the time the movie starts is awful. But the new stuff is bad because of the ads. Wait until you get upgraded and you have to sit through well placed ads (ff disabled) :D You can always pause and rewind, but there is no ff of the ads.
funny you should say that cause my parents cablevision service is unbearably slow compared to my comcast. i dont watch on-demand at all at their house because it takes for god damn ever

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
funny you should say that cause my parents cablevision service is unbearably slow compared to my comcast. i dont watch on-demand at all at their house because it takes for god damn ever
I don't think cablevision runs our chit, either. Charter is one of our biggest, along with Time Warner, but TW tries to adhere to the ISA standard that they developed and only they use, so it's not much of a standard.

JohnnyBoyDH

Monkey
Aug 6, 2003
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Was finally back there for Christmas. Couple of quick shots:

Main shot

The Runco. The thing is bad ass!

Stewart perforated screen. All the front speakers are behind it.

The wife rockin' it out.

The bar at the back

Side room

Temp. controlled wine room

There is a billiard room off to the side and a Fooseball table in the lower foyer and a crazy steam shower in the lower bath. I could live down there no problem. lol.

Last edited: