Quantcast

Bike Color

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
If anyone has a bike with a cool paint job post a picture. Also if you could paint a bike black, red or white what color would it be The frame could also be either half black half red etc... or one solid color? The reason im asking is because if I ever sell the frame, I would want a color that would be the easiest to sell. I want the frame to be colored so that most riders would want it, if i ever decided to to sell it. An Easier way to look at it is what color will give the frame the greatest retail value, or what color would help the frame to be sold the fastest. :thumb:

Thanks

Adam:help:

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
I'll bet anyone here ten dollars that he's thinking of spray painting his frame... another five that he won't do it properly (if that's possible :think:. I mean, we're talking spray paint here).

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Bldr_DH said:
I'll bet anyone here ten dollars that he's thinking of spray painting his frame... another five that he won't do it properly (if that's possible :think:. I mean, we're talking spray paint here).
someone on here did a rattle can job that ended up looking damn fine. it was a red with glitter...like a red bowling ball. if i were willing, i'd look up the thread. but i'm not, so i won't.

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Not saying that it won't look good. I'm just saying it's not the ideal way to color a frame. I personally wouldn't want to rattle-can any of my frames -- it just isn't... professional (for a lack of a better word) enough for my tastes.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Why don't you paint the bike the color YOU want...not what some dude might want in the future.

BTW, if the frame has a lot of details (a la Nicolai), anodizing looks best.

blizzard99

Chimp
Jun 4, 2005
spraypainting is a good way to go if your low budget and it can look hella good. i did 3 coats of primer then like 5 coats of paint and it looks pretty good IMO

and it cost me like 10 bux

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I JUST got my AS-X back from the powder coaters...Reflective White. The paint's not even the coolest part. I've got like $33 into the powdercoating, and $55 in the custom decals that are on the way! Ultra Silver Metallic and in wicked tribal design! So black swingarm, cranks and stanchions, white frame, Deity bars and Fork lowers. Sexy... So much for sneakin around in the trees, though!!!

SXtrailrider

Turbo Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
nice i might go with that same white and black or white ant blue. I cannot really make up my mind.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I love how a professional powder coating job is about $50 where I lived in Cali, $33 for THRILLSEEKA, and people still pay basically the same for spray paint. It takes a little longer, but it's worth it. Don't think you need to paint your frame yourself, it's not really a thing to pride yourself on if it doesn't come out well. Btw, that white and black AS-X is humnipherous! I like it!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Thanks! I kinda fell in love with that pure looking white while I had my Arctic White Evil Imperial...but sadly, it DOES scuff easily and grease/mud stand out real bad...but that's not going to stop me from tearin' it up!

You guys think white rims would be too much? I'm running black MTX's right now with black spokes, silver nips. Thinking that might be enough white. And don't forget the Same color Deity 31.8 bars!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have always liked red.

My HT is grey with black and white parts and it looks alright. But a good Red color will always be in style. :thumb: White is OK (my current DH bike is white, it was the only color they had) and I peresonally don't like black on most bikes....well, I disslike flat black, glossy black with decent decal kits look alright.

My vote is the classic racing red. :)

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I think black just got REALLY played out as of like 2 years ago when the started producing "freeride specific" bikes. Must have been trying to start some rebellious "outlaw" movement..?

I like that putty color that the Giant Faith 1's come in. I would also like to see some flat-mustard colored bikes, a little takeoff from the Ricers...

I think Brodie also had a flat black with dark red decals that looked pretty wicked...

Anyone ever seen a candy apple red or maybe a dark burgundy? Those would be pretty nice as well.

Superdeft

Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
East Coast
zaphod1 said:
this was my bike (that i painted) until i sold it about two months ago now im building a super 8 with a new paint job.:cool:
That is truly bad a$s man. Even the spec guys don't get to rock paintjobs that cool.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
the Inbred said:
black will never be played out.
No, maybe not, it's just a "safe" color, and it seems like people are strting to get a little bolder with their bike builds again. 2-3 years ago freeriding was just really going mainstream, and it's always been my opinion that it was unknown whether the bikes were going to sell or not. I mean, a 6" travel, non-race bike for $4000 is already scary, so I think making them all black was less imposing than say screaming yellow with bold graphics. That, and it also worked with the whole outlaw stereotype...extreme mountain biking and, unlike the masses, NOT racing.
I know that everytime I see another all-black build I'm like Blah, get some color!

degoose

Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So Cal
Hey what kind of a frame are you looking to buy? I think white would be pretty cool. I think i might know you from camp a while back!

ps: What goes down down down? What sprin....into....ac.....TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERIN. What in the lords name has the power of flight? And the right to hover over its pray? Who has slippery shoes that slip ocasionaly? And why wont you be my fre..........?

So do you know who this might be?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
spray can looks cheap 99% of the time, and one little run is worse than a scratch. You want resale value, polish the frame, and that way you can prove theres no cracks (i would never buy a used repainted frame, it's a good way to hide damage). And like black, polished never goes out of style. Day-glo is for the 80's re-fads.