Quantcast

Bike Question

silverjk2007

Chimp
Aug 20, 2008
How do Trek's stack up against other bikes? I see alot of Fuji and Specialized bikes, and some other names I've never heard. Just wondering how a Trek ranks among the mix. Pretty respectfully?

MTBracer

Monkey
Nov 19, 2007
Massachusetts
Haha. I thought the same thing. Then I came here. Trek isn't really into the MTB world so much. I see a lot of Foes, Intense, Ironhorse, and a bunch of other names around this forum. Why do you need to know? Looking at getting a new bike?

silverjk2007

Chimp
Aug 20, 2008
I bought a Trek 4300 last week. I am just getting into the sport and I was just curious how respected the Trek brand is. All the reviews I read were pretty positive, I was just surprised not to see more on the forum here.

stoner53

Chimp
Aug 26, 2008
i can tell you as someone that sells treks that they are a pretty good brand if u arent looking to do anything insane. you can definitely do better but they are still good bikes. Trek is a road bike brand and you can mark my words. they are gonna start movin over to both hybrid style bikes and mountain bikes. with a 20% increase in price for 09' people are gonna look for something a little cheaper and most people dont understand just how much mtb sucks for commuting. they have also down graded all the components on the road bike line so that they could upgrade the frame. so even experienced riders will start to leave trek because everyone knows that components are just as if not more important than the frame. so give trek a few years and they will be moved more towards mtb but for right now they arent too into the mtb scene

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
I bought a Trek 4300 last week. I am just getting into the sport and I was just curious how respected the Trek brand is. All the reviews I read were pretty positive, I was just surprised not to see more on the forum here.
That is the perfect bike to get started in the sport. A Specialized Hardrock is another good entry level bike. Ride the crap out of it and have fun. When your skills, needs and wallet allow, step it up when you feel like it.

Many experienced riders become bike snobs and shy away from larger bike corporations like Trek, Kona and Specialized, but just have fun and don't worry about what others are riding.

:cheers:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
well it seems to me that all treks ride like road bikes or commuter bikes, that being said i have a trek 1000 raod bike and prefer it over many kinds of road bikes. but when it comes to mountain bike trek well, in a nice way, should stick to road bikes. the suspension on their hardtails are pretty much crap (low end rs, rst, suntour, etc) the frames have pretty bad geometry, the components are pretty low end and only getting worse. so i'd say ride it and get the feel of the trails and enjoy the sport, but as soon as you have to make a repair of more than $50 trade it in (you'll get top dollar cause they sell easy to newbies) and get a better bike like a scott or kona or giant or santa cruz or gary fisher.

now that i think about it, why do people get treks when all these better options are avalible

icon27

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
Longmont Colorado
the question should be "do you like your bike and does it do what you want it to do?". Its not a walmart bike and they do make good bikes. Having fun is the point.... enjoy!!

Sep 17, 2008
I Was Looking At Getting A Norco Empire 5 What Could Anyone Surgest . I Am Gunna Be Doing Big Drops And Very Fast Downhill Tracks But I Want To Be Able To Ride To School On Time Aswell . My Friends Got The Giant Glory So Not That One But What About The Iron Horse Sunday Expert World Cup Please Tell Me What I Sould Get