Quantcast

Bikes missing from your stable?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I would like to have a few of the bikes I had back.

Yeti 575 that was stolen
Yeti 4X that was sold
Yeti ARC-X that was also sold

Current bike is only my EWR which I ride happily and then don't ride and think I want a FS trail bike then go and ride a FS trail bike and am unhappy, so,...

I do want a pure DH bike, Yeti 303R would work.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Technically, any custom builder can make you a hardtail with a reinforced headtube junction, a 69 degree HA, and low standover.

I got Seven to make me one, but it was like pulling teeth. Deviating from the 71/73 angle or using a tire wider than than 2.1 was heresy.

On the other hand, here's Serotta's take on a ti hardtail:

Descend Like Full Suspension, Climb Like a Hardtail

Yep, you can take TiMax down Garbanzo or Karpiel.
This is the Lynskey I was talking about:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/a/pages/2009-products/mountain/titanium-mountain-bike---houseblend---ridgeline-26-lt.php

Also - Lysnkey builds the Ti On One Inbred 456 frame

And they are also building frames for former On One designer, Brant Richard's new brand, Ragley.

The Ragley Ti - that might fit the bill:

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Crap. That Linskey looks like the business.

Why do I keep doing this to myself... Well here's to hoping I get the new job, because with no wife and no debt, I can sink money into things I really don't need.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I thought the looked f'ugly.
Your Fugly!

:p

Kidding aside I had an idea for a bike I was thinking of building and that bar fit perfectly in my mind. The fact that it want to production was sold and found to fail speaks volumes to me about a company.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Your Fugly!

:p

Kidding aside I had an idea for a bike I was thinking of building and that bar fit perfectly in my mind. The fact that it want to production was sold and found to fail speaks volumes to me about a company.

I never fully read what the story was for the recall on them. What was the problem - where were they failing etc?

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I never fully read what the story was for the recall on them. What was the problem - where were they failing etc?
I say a few on the webz (take that with a grain of salt) that had big cracks in the welds forming. One day CRC had them, the next morning they did not.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I'd love a dedicated, serious trail bike. The all day kind of thing, like a specialized enduro or another, better, cannondale prophet. About 5-6" of all day pedally goodness...but I don't ride trails enough to need anything more than my homegrown.

I'd also love to have a short travel 4x or SS bike. Maybe 4-6" travel, slack angles, perfect for highland or diablo or DS courses. Unfortunately, that's such a "want" bike vs. a "need" to have.

I really want a tri bike, or even a decent roadie. Too bad there are ZERO bikes between 200 and $800. everybody thinks their 89 raleigh is a modern classic, or their clapped out cannondale from 98 with 30000 miles on it is still "like new". Too bad for me.
Funny part about you saying that, I just sold my roadie for seven bills, and it was decked out .

The even funnier part, I listed it on ride monkey at least three times over the last few years before I put it on Ebay!!!!!!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I currently have;
Slalom bikes(3)- 3 ht- need to build an fs one
XC hardtails(3)- 1 steel, 2 alu- building a carbon one this fall
Road bikes(10)- A category unto itself;
-2 race bikes (one alu, one steel), 2 winter bikes (one alu, one steel), 1 Rando bike, one fixed commuter, one geared commuter, 2 track race bikes, 1 TT bike- Need to build carbon road, track and tt frames over the winter.
BMX bikes (1)- Have a race frame, need to build a race/trails frame
Trials bikes(1)- have a 24" street bike, need to build 26" street bike and a 24" with modern mod geo
DH bikes (2)- 2 old team bikes- Need to build a gearbox bike and a Spooky race bike
FS trail bikes (O)- Need to build myself a trail bike.
-----------------------------------------------
Summary;
Have 20 bikes, need to build 11 new frames/bike this winter.
At this rate, I may need to get a second job just to pay for parts for all the new bikes... or GASP, unbuild some of the other bikes.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
After I build my DJer, I'll have all the bikes I need.

&#8226; DMR Rhythm 24 DJer
&#8226; Echo Control 26 trials
&#8226; Soul Cycles Roscoe SS, all around beater

I just bought the Echo complete (like new) and the Rhythm (new) will be completed in a week. I won't be needing anything for a while.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I had to look it up when you said that. It looks like a prop from the Demolition Man movie.
You are an incredibly sensitive man, who inspires joy-joy feelings in all those around you.

Hand made in the US, Easton ProGram aluminum, carbon swingarm and fork, noleen shawks, (originally) kooka cranks with gold bolts, polished aluminum mainframe. Thing was like a custom built dreambike from the factory. I bet it still rides halfway decent too.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
You are an incredibly sensitive man, who inspires joy-joy feelings in all those around you.

Hand made in the US, Easton ProGram aluminum, carbon swingarm and fork, noleen shawks, (originally) kooka cranks with gold bolts, polished aluminum mainframe. Thing was like a custom built dreambike from the factory. I bet it still rides halfway decent too.
if it rides like the fork, then i highly doubt so. i had the girvin elastomer fork on my first HT, and that fork was a piece of crap.
hardly 20mm of travel in summer, in winter non at all.
it was pretty stiff, though... in all directions :rolleyes:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
You'll note the coil over on the fork in the bike pic. Not elastomers.
Also note that they added a coil but neglected to add a dampener.
The other cool feature about that fork was the stem being part of the suspension. If you crashed, and your bars got twisted, it would bend the pivot axles. I must have pulled mine and "straighten" them a half dozen times.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Also note that they added a coil but neglected to add a dampener.
The other cool feature about that fork was the stem being part of the suspension. If you crashed, and your bars got twisted, it would bend the pivot axles. I must have pulled mine and "straighten" them a half dozen times.
wrong'n'wrong

First off, the 957 with the crosslink Elite carbon had a noleen nr-3 with a coil, which is a gas charged oil damped shock. Maybe it was an nr-2...hmm.
Second, all girvins, even the awful mk2 posted above, had a damper in them, even if they had elastomers. You could replace the elastomer (which were awful) with a coil spring, and still have damping...albeit probably not as much as a legit shock, since the elastomers provide some damping qualities (not quality)
turdly, the latter models (the noleen and onward series) let you use your own stem, and clamped above the head tube onto the steerer.

Not saying the mk2 girvin didn't suck, just that the latter ones sucked less.

Sonic Reducer

Monkey
Mar 19, 2006
seattle worshington
if it rides like the fork, then i highly doubt so. i had the girvin elastomer fork on my first HT, and that fork was a piece of crap.
hardly 20mm of travel in summer, in winter non at all.
it was pretty stiff, though... in all directions :rolleyes:

remember when noleen put those electronic boxes on the shock that were supposed to do something special but nobody could figure out what they actually did? :rofl:

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
wrong'n'wrong

all girvins, even the awful mk2 posted above, had a damper in them, even if they had elastomers. You could replace the elastomer (which were awful) with a coil spring, and still have damping...albeit probably not as much as a legit shock, since the elastomers provide some damping qualities (not quality)
My original all aluminum one has no damper of any kind. It rides like a pogo stick.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have the mountain bikes I want presently. I could use an XC hardtail of some kind for just spinning out miles though. Probably a Sinister Mustang...

I think I want more motorcycles at the moment though. Like this:

and this:

Jul 8, 2009
I have the mountain bikes I want presently. I could use an XC hardtail of some kind for just spinning out miles though. Probably a Sinister Mustang...

I think I want more motorcycles at the moment though. Like this:

What the hell is that? Looks sick!

I was out camping/fishing last year, apparently the lake I was at was a popular place for "enduro" riding or whatever you call it.

These guys were awesome! They were riding on single track trails for dirt bikes, climbing insanely steep hills....looked like a deer when they hop off the road and up into the hills.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I will list my current never-ending list of wants in order which they will be relegated to reality.
Already have:
1. Santa Cruz V10
2. Specialized Stumpjumper Expert with strange build
3. Old Raleigh fixed gear with new Mavic Open Sport wheels

Want:
1. Lightweight XC wheel-set (i.e. Easton ONE), and a few other bits for XC bike
2. Eastern BMX (have frame, need to build)
3. Spooky Skeletor with Ksyrium SL wheels and Ultegra parts (hopefully frame will be ordered soon, very excite!)
4. Santa Cruz Jackal (new style) built with gears and light parts for DS.

Last edited: